Start by marking “Die Hand des Dr. Cardoni.” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Die Hand des Dr. Cardoni.

Phillip Margolin

Die Hand des Dr. Cardoni. (Amanda Jaffe #1)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,951 ratings  ·  131 reviews
When a killing field is unearthed in the Oregon woods, it's linked to a Portland surgeon whose increasingly aggressive behavior and explosive temper have already drawn the attention of his colleagues. Neophyte attorney Amanda Jaffe takes second chair to her father, a successful criminal lawyer retained by Dr. Vincent Cardoni when he is charged with multiple counts of murde ...more
Hardcover
Published March 1st 2003 by Droemersche Verlagsanstalt Th. Knaur Nachf., GmbH & Co. (first published 2000)

Robbie
Jan 11, 2009 Robbie rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone in need of a brain vacation
How can you combine doctors, lawyers, local mafia, serial killers, abusive spouses, and harvested organs on the black market, into a psychological thriller set in the beautiful pacific northwest, and not succeed? I'll tell you how! Read Wild Justice.

Phillip Margolin lazily wrote Wild Justice, both in character development and from a plot standpoint. For example, we learn on page 160 that local mafia hitman Ed Gordon is an ex-marine who had been dishonorably discharged for assaulting an officer.
Ceren Ünlü

Phillip Margolin / Vahşi Adalet
Vahşi Adalet kitabı okundu bitti. Bitmese olacaktı, biraz daha okusaydım keşke. :) Ama işte kitap güzel olunca anında, soluksuz okunuyor.
Kitabı çok beğendim ! Tam benim tarzımdı ve çok zekice kurgulanmıştı. Cinayetler tüylerimi ürpertir, ağzım açık okurken vay be dedim ne canavarlar var. Bir de okurken etraf karanlık falan işte tek gece lambası açık, gaipten sesler duymaya da başladım. Sonra aman sen kenidini öldürülenlerin yerine değil öldürenin yerine koy dedim.
Tara Hall
I LOVED this book. It held my interest from the first few pages, and I was riveted to the end. I identified with all the characters. I rooted for the tender-footed attorney, Amanda, and liked her transition over the years into a strong willed woman and capable attorney. I enjoyed the various other doctors implicated in the brutal crimes (I am not going into detail so I won’t spoil the plot), and each one was a complete character that was well fleshed out. I even liked the various bit players, li ...more
Pr Latta
[eAudio] First in the Amanda Jaffe series and first Phillip Margolin that I've read. Reminded me of a faster paced, less pedantic, more grisly, less depressed Barbara Holloway (Kate Wilhelm) tale but that probably was influenced by the fact that Anna Fields was the narrator and the lawyer father is also called "Frank." I enjoyed listening to the book but the rating was brought down by the lack of credibility in "procedure" -- too many professionals going to dangerous places by themselves, fantas ...more
Burcu Akpınar
Ana karakteri ceza avukatı değilde dünyadan bihaber saf, masum normal yurdum insanı tipinde bişey yapsalardı her şey 10 numara olucakmış. Bu kadar saf kahraman olmaz. Resmen delirip bir ara sesli söylenirken yakaladım kendimi:) Gene de kurgu, akıcılık vs. sıkmadan okutuyor kendini...
Rob Silverman
This is the fifth Margolin book I've read and while I can't say his novels are "literary masterpieces" or are outstanding excellent books, I CAN say they are very very very good. Wild Justice keeps up that tradition.

Everyone has their own opinion--on plots and an author's writing style. To me, this book has all the things that I personally enjoy: There are good plot twists and turns, unexpected surprises, characters I felt connected to and related to. The book moves along quickly and is a fairly
Nani
Amanda Jaffe book #2 was the Nook deal of the day at Barnes & Noble.com and it looks like a good book so of course if the price was reasonable I had to get book #1 to read first. Wild Justice looked like a decent read and was reasonably priced so I bought book #1 and the $2 special book #2.

I knew who the killer in this book was by page 30. By page 60, I knew I was wrong because I knew somebody else was. I was sure I was right this time until about 20 pages later and I realized I was right to
Bert
This 2000 novel is authored by a writer whose initial profession was that of criminal defense lawyer. He peppers this crime thriller with prootocols, evidentiary issues, and forensics. The protagonist is the junior associate of a seasoned criminal defense lawyer, and the book spans a 5 year time period, during which her professional coming of age is done the hard way, on the front lines with difficult clients at risk of losing everything. Things were just a tad contrived for 100% believability, ...more
Jason May
We're immediately introduced into a highly unethical situation involving two surgeons who made a deal with a local mafia man for a human heart. However, the deal is interrupted by police and the one surgeon, Clifford Grant, takes off with both the money and the heart and returns to his partner in crime, Vincent Cardoni.

Cue our first encounter with defense attorney lawyer Amanda Jaffe. Working along side her father, Amanda is getting her feet wet in the business through her father's firm. Vincent
Gina
Wild Justice by Phillip Margolin.

I liked this story, it was interesting and moved along quickly, only taking 7 CDs. Amanda Jaffe is not long out of law school and has decided to work in her father's criminal defense law firm. The book starts with Amanda's first trial case out of school and I'm sure it will bring laughs and cringes to any former junior attorneys.

Dr. Vincent Cardoni, a jerk of a surgeon is a cocaine addict and is suspected of at least 9 horrific murders and possibly stiffing the l
Blood Rose Books
Phillip Margolin, a former criminal justice attorney, brings his readers Wild Justice, where justice is never straight forward in and outside of the courtroom.

A haunting massacre awaits investigators near a cabin in the woods, the "works" of a mad man, a serial killer that has taken meticulous care to make sure that each of the victims suffered. Caught on scene and arrested is a brilliant but violent and drug abusing surgeon Dr. Vincent Cardoni. Cardoni hires the top lawyer in Frank Jaffe and hi
Anna Stewart McCall
Wild Justice is the first appearance of Amanda Jaffe, a criminal defense attorney in Portland trying to emerge from the shadow of her father. The two are hired to defend Vincent Cardoni, a surgeon accused of torturing and murdering nine people in the woods of Oregon. He claims his wife framed him, and on a technicality, he is released. Soon after, he mysteriously disappears. Fast forward four years, and Amanda is wiser and more experienced but still trying to develop her own identity as a crimin ...more
 Marla
I like detective novels better than lawyer novels, but this is more serial killer mystery than trial and involves an interesting tale of a divorce gone horribly wrong.

(view spoiler)
Johnsergeant
Downloaded from Audible.com

Narrator: Anna Fields
Publisher: Harper Audio, 2001
Length: 8 hours 30 min.

Publisher's Summary
In a mountain cabin, a detective opens a Pandora's box of horror that will haunt him to his dying day. Within hours, Vincent Cardoni - a brilliant surgeon with a history of violence and drug abuse - is arrested for the heinous crime. Facing a seemingly insurmountable wall of evidence, he turns to top criminal defense attorney Frank Jaffe and his daughter Amanda. Her first taste
Jc
It is a good plot that keeps you on your toes and makes you try to figure out the out come for quite a while. The plot is viewed through the eyes on the young lawyer which is a good angle. But the plot is so far fetched that the book loses its credibility: the srial killer you got high on torturing his victims while leading a perfectly normal life is a bit hard to swallow
Jaime
I really wanted to like this book as I loved Gone, but not Forgotten.
This was sloppy and the author seemed to not have put much effort into the writing. I knew who the killer was before I hit 100 pages and that's usually not the case. The last 80 pages are great, unfortunately the 300 pages proceeding them aren't. I wouldn't recommend this one.
Connie
This was a very good high thriller book. I had trouble sleeping after reading this book because of some of the gruesome things that were a part of the plot. It was almost on the horror side of the scale for me. Very fast paced and some of the things that happened were unexpected. I did figure out who the real killer was just a little ways into the book, but that didn't detract from the plot or the final resolution.

This was not really a forensic book, because that part was just not explained. You
Marca
Amanda Jaffee joins her father's law firm and finds herself helping her father defend a doctor who may be a serial killer. The Jaffees get the doctor freed on a technicality and the doctor disappears. A severed hand belonging to the doctor is later found and many assume he is dead. Is he? Four years later, the killings begin again and Amanda finds herself possibly in the path of the killer. Many readers will figure it out early on, but still fun to see how it unwinds and resolves.
Dale
Finally, Margolin is back on his game!

I've read Margolin's books since I came across The Burning Man but I've been sorely disappointed by many one of them since because they have never approached the power or the storytelling of that book.

While Wild Justice is very much different than The Burning Man , it is a great page turner. I found the story to be inventive, if not twisted. Although, I figured out who the killer was with about 100 pages to go, there were so many plot twists that I doubte
Seth
I've not read a ton of horror or suspense books so I might not be an "expert" or anything like that. This book was an amazing read the choppy short chapters gave you time to rest when you couldn't read any longer. And the time I spent not reading I was trying to figure it all out. The story takes some major twist and the villain seems so obvious that it makes you think the author has something else in store with the rest of the book...and boy does he. I kept running through suspects in my head a ...more
r. r.
This book premise has much promise, yet reaches too far. The characters aren't as well crafted as I'd prefer, there are some holes in the story, and the villain is too obvious about halfway thru the novel. This is the first Phillip Margolin I've read, and I'm not sold yet. Perhaps next time...
Michael Harrington
Theis is the third book by Margolin I have read. I really liked the first two, but this one is very similar to an earlier book--similar plot, copycat plot twists--just a rehash of another plot from an earlier book. I will still try another. He can be quite good.
Penny Gumbel
I hadn't read a murder mystery in a long time. I figured out the "who done it" in the first couple of chapters... Whether or not that's a good thing, it made me feel like a genius!
Karen C
Enjoyed the book, but some of the violence was a bit much (especially torture details). Unfortunately I figured it out pretty early on. I think I read too many mystery novels anymore.
Xinh
Somewhat predictable. I was able to figure out who the real murderer was 1/3 of the way into the book so all the back and forth of is this person or that person the real killer rang very false.
Daniel
This was my first book by Phillip Margolin and it was a good one. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride which went at break neck speed. There was also lot of humour sprinkled throughout. Though we can guess the end before it arrives it was worth the ride.
Mona
A great beach read. This is the first book of his I have ever read. Found it in the trading library! Home from Barbados now, so back to my normal reading fare.
Sherry
First book by this author, and I LOVED it! Suspenseful, legal issues, serial killer, romance, torture, a page turner for sure. I will be looking for more books by this author.
Kim Higgs
I flew through this book and didn't want to sleep at night so I could continue reading. I needed this to get back in the groove of reading!
Susan Poling
This was an audiobook and fun to listen too. However, I don't think I would have enjoyed reading it. For the first of many of the mysteries I've read, I knew who the killer was early on. That's ok for listening but not for reading.
  • Sly Fox: A Dani Fox Novel
  • Capitol Murder: A Novel (Ben Kincaid, #14)
  • Case of Lies (Nina Reilly #11)
  • The Motive (Dismas Hardy #11)
  • Moment of Truth (Rosato & Associates, #5)
  • Black River (Frank Corso, #2)
  • Vapor Trail (Phil Broker, #4)
  • The Judge (Paul Madriani #4)
  • Justice
  • Fury (Butch Karp, #17)
  • Bad Thoughts (Bill Shannon, #1)
  • False Dawn (Jake Lassiter, #3)
Executive Privilege (Dana Cutler, #1) Gone, But Not Forgotten After Dark Supreme Justice (Dana Cutler, #2) The Associate (Amanda Jaffe, #2)