Start by marking “Some Assembly Required” as Want to Read:
Some Assembly Required

Some Assembly Required

Some Assembly Required: A Novel
Published July 1st 2008 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about Some Assembly Required, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Assembly Required

Mangy Cat
Oct 28, 2008 Mangy Cat rated it really liked it
Some Assembly Required delivered what the rave on the cover said, "Charming...filled with quirky characters and small town eccentricity." I picked this one up completely on a whim at the library because the title and small town-ness intrigued me. (I'm fascinated by the small town psyche.)

The unique characterization in this novel is its strong point. There are variety of people--the instruction manual writer turned small town reporter, a autistic savant, the recovering alcoholic, the jaded old la
Alissa
Nov 23, 2008 Alissa rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, 2008
This wasn’t the fun, light, chick-lit read I was expecting from the cover photo (flip flops on a clothesline) and blurb from Claire Cook (a fave author of mine). No, it was better. Another intelligent women’s story in the vein of Leslie Schnur (who contributes a quote to the back).

Rose is 39 and trying to make a fresh start in the Cape Cod town of Nauset. She’s gone from writing instruction manuals (quotes from which cleverly foreshadow events at the beginning of each chapter) to wanting to be a
Pat
Jul 01, 2011 Pat rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Pat by: Goodreads
This novel starts out a little like the "chick-lit" style. Journalist who can't get a job with a decent newspaper, writes instuction manuals for appliances (?). Feeling like life is passing her by, her boyfriend then tells her he cheated on her and it "meant nothing". She kisses her old life goodby, job, boyfriend and apartment and moves to a little town on Cape Cod called Nasset.There the REAL story begins! This novel has the quirkiest set of characters, and it brings in so many sub stories, at ...more
Michael
Jul 06, 2008 Michael rated it it was amazing
Totally enjoyed this book. I could see this being made in to a movie. Having grown-up on Cape Cod this was a bit like a trip down memory lane...Bonasia's writing created strong visual imagery which transported me to route 6 on lower cape cod, and i loved it. The characters are well fleshed-out and you'll feel like you know them quite well by books end and half expect to receive an email from one of them. Gas prices making you think about sticking closer to home this summer? Pick up this book and ...more
Judi
Sep 26, 2008 Judi rated it it was ok
This book tries to be more "fresh, quirky & original" than it actually is. The characters were predictable and the book was very bland and forgettable.
Karen
Jul 23, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it
So far so good. Great vacation read since it is set on the Cape.
Amy
(Really 3.5 stars)
Picked this up expecting a light, diversionary novel, and found one with surprising depth in it. Don't let the cover picture of flipflops on a clothesline fool you. It'll still appeal to those who want a quick read, but it's not marshmallow creme fluff. There is an interesting parade of characters, starting with Rose, who, in the wake of a painful breakup, leaves her job as an expert in writing instructions and those annoying instruction manuals, and moves to Nauset on Cape Co
Patti K
Aug 18, 2010 Patti K rated it liked it
Probably more like 3.5 stars. The ending was almost an anticlimax - not bad, just, well, there was a lot of build up to it and then...thunk. My disappointment in the ending was more about the fact that it wasn't predictable just...bland. It was not so bad that I won't read her subsequent book, but I'll probably read other authors first.

The best part was that it helped me remember fondly our last trip to the Cape. My first trip there wasn't all that great and basically made me think, "Why drive t
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
I think i expected something more lighthearted than this was and that expectation colored my reading. I found it slow at the start, despite a quirky introduction. It took a while to learn enough about the characters to want to be involved in their story. I didn't really find Rose a sympathetic character.
The characters are all a little odd, in a good way, but these quirks are treated very seriously, having mostly arisen from tragedy.
The theme of loss permeates everyone and everything which was a
Kathleen
Sep 14, 2008 Kathleen rated it really liked it
This is an impressive first novel by this writer with substantial, well developed characters, most of whom are dealing with loss. While loss is the major theme of the novel, the author is adept at keeping the characters moving on, immersing themselves in life and living. Because I live near the Cape, I loved the setting and its importance to the story. I also liked how she weaved autism and addiction within the characters and the story without romanticizing either. Epigrams, which are connected ...more
Dave
Apr 14, 2012 Dave rated it it was ok
Found the book just interesting enough to finish. Didn't appreciate the book enough to think that the title was appropriately suited to the presentation of the previous life of Rose as a writer of technical manuals. Thought that the introduction to each chapter with a quip of technical instruction was a bit bizzare.
Did appreciate that life's journeys are not often what we think they may be. Felt that some of the story lines were off course just enough to be bothersome to the extent that they fel
Lori Ann
Aug 18, 2008 Lori Ann rated it it was ok
This book is ok, and I toyed with giving it 3 stars. The characters are offbeat and eccentric (in a Northern Exposure kind of way), and there's nothing objectionable about the book. It's just that even in terms of a beach read, I didn't think there was enough substance. I guess I'm at the point that if I'm going to spend 6+ hours of my life reading a book, I want to be able to walk away with some new understanding, satisfaction, or lasting impression. This one really didn't meet any of those req ...more
Jessica
May 07, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it
Everything about this book appealed to me - the cover photo (a beach house and flip-flops), the setting (Cape Cod, where I recently relocated to), the size (not too long and not too short), and the storyline (woman my age moves to the Cape and tries to get a handle on the natives).

The book zipped along, and I found myself laughing and shaking my head at some the "local" characters. The Cape is a strange place, that's for sure.

The dialogue is great (and I love good dialogue), the descriptions of
Amy
Jan 05, 2009 Amy rated it it was ok
This was a bit slow at first. It got interesting enough to finish but it wasn't one of my favorites. I thought that the relationship that developed between Rose & Simon was a bit unrealistic. A person who's trying to stay sober is going to have a lot more struggles/issues to work through. It was a bit too perfect. I liked the feeling of the close knit community though and the funny characters in it.
Terry
Apr 19, 2011 Terry rated it really liked it
I really liked this charming debut. Rose, a jilted technical writer is determined to become a journalist (the original dream), and finds her spot on Cape Cod, in a little town full of characters. The technical writing angle is clever--and the cast of characters intriguing. Celebrating the town's 300th birthday. Unlikely romance develops and Rose helps figure out a long-time mystery--autistic--some LOL dialogue, a bit like Anne Tyler in terms of characters and human frailties, etc.
Tammy
Jan 08, 2012 Tammy rated it it was ok
This book seemed to be just randomly thrown together and blatantly improvised as the author was writing it. There were pieces of the story that seemed to be solid leads into a good tale, however, this was not the case. I felt it was poorly written, was boring, and went off on tangents. Not recommended.
Julie Allyn
Jul 11, 2011 Julie Allyn rated it liked it
I chose this book based on the promise that it would draw me back to Cape Cod--a place I love. Unfortunately, I never really got that feeling. The story itself was ok, if somewhat predicable. I did like the theme of moving on and new beginnings. My favorite line: "The last thing to escape Pandora's box was hope."
Ghira
Aug 29, 2012 Ghira rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I'm a pretty fast reader, but it took me 10 days to finish this book! I must have not been in the right state of mind because the book seemed to plod along (like pulling your feet out of deep mud). I thought repeatedly that the author probably paced the book like this on purpose and was doing a very good job!

This book was fine...just not my cup of tea.
Dawn
Jan 19, 2009 Dawn rated it liked it
Kind of a quirky book. Was the author's master's thesis. I thought the characters were interesting; an alcoholic, an autistic savant artist, a would be journalist, a woman who imagines she has a daughter..more. The individual stories were woven together in an interesting way. Kind of a strange ending. Might give it a 3.5 if I could, just for being interesting.
Carol
Oct 25, 2008 Carol rated it really liked it
Quick read. The author gives you some eccentric characters to read about. Takes place on Cape Cod. The main character, Rose, is a 39 year old woman who just ended a relationship and needs a change so she moves to Nauset, rents a cottage from Val and meets some very interesting people. This novel includes some romance & mystery.
Nancy
Jun 29, 2015 Nancy rated it it was ok
I inherited my mom's old kindle and this was already on it so I read it- lame really- very much a brainless story with a predictable plot about a group of people living on the east coast. Drama, history, romance, broken hearts and loss of life all fell into it's pages and created a story that I'm glad I didn't pay to read.
Caroline
Aug 26, 2011 Caroline rated it really liked it
Escaping from an unhappy romance, Rose ends up in small town Cape Cod, hoping to reinvent herself as a newspaper reporter. The supporting characters are colorful, but the author keeps them from getting too quirky by writing with a dry sense of humor. This has more depth than a typical beach read, but it doesn't take itself too seriously.
Karen
Jun 30, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: recentreads
This was a nice summer weekend read, heavier than fluff but not so heavy as to require great thought. I enjoyed the story of a woman who moves to Cape Cod after finding out her BF of four years has been cheating. She meets some quirky characters and gets caught up in their drama, including a local unsolved mystery.
Lynn
Aug 19, 2008 Lynn rated it really liked it
I awoke this morning feeling let down that I had finished this book. I really enjoyed this visit with my "neighbors" and hate to think that I won't be hanging out with Rose and Simon and Val and Noel - and even Cooper any more. Entertaining and topical, with interesting characters and an intriguing little mystery, all with a Cape Cod setting. Who could ask for more?
Julia
Oct 29, 2012 Julia rated it really liked it
Much more to this book than I expected, as I thought it was going to be just a light, fluffy chick-lit novel. However, I don't know if I would had liked it as much as I did if I had been expecting more.
Charly
Aug 18, 2010 Charly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone.
This was my first read of Bonsai and it was interesting. Part mystery, part love story, part outrageously off the wall. There is a bit of Hiaasen sprinkled in here, moreso in the characters than some crazy get rich quick scheme.

It was a fun and somewhat quick read.
Mary Anne
Jun 25, 2011 Mary Anne rated it liked it
This book had interesting, quirky characters, but the story just never really pulled me in. It was fairly predictable & took me awhile ot get through it. In some ways, it was worth the read because of the interesting characters.
Dawn Lajeunesse
Oct 12, 2015 Dawn Lajeunesse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steady with surprises

I do most of my reading in 10-15 minute installments,so it takes a strong story to keep me interested and coming back. Also it can't be too complicated. This fit my current reading needs.
Joni Daniels
Oct 02, 2010 Joni Daniels rated it liked it
Quirky characters make this an above average read about a woman trying to recover and start anew after a boyfriend is found cheating on her. Small town gossip, a 27 year old mystery and an autistic savant add interesting color.
Deb
Mar 09, 2013 Deb rated it really liked it
Quirky New England characters, new beginnings, a beloved autistic artist and the usual doings of a small, close-knit community. Made me wish I lived there.

Good, heartwarming read to lift anyone's spirits.
  • This Is Getting Old: Zen Thoughts on Aging with Humor and Dignity
  • Widow's Tale
  • Seeking Peace: Chronicles of the Worst Buddhist in the World
  • One Good Egg: An Illustrated Memoir
  • Hawthorne: A Life
  • The Dancing Goddesses: Folklore, Archaeology, and the Origins of European Dance
  • The Last Beach Bungalow
  • Miss You Most of All
  • The Almost Archer Sisters
  • The Once and Future Goddess
  • A Year of the Unexpected
  • A Householder's Guide to the Universe: A Calendar of Basics for the Home and Beyond
  • Pocketful of Names
Lynn Kiele Bonasia is the author of two novels set on Cape Cod. Summer Shift (Touchstone/Simon & Schuster), about a woman who runs a New England clam bar, is scheduled for release on June 1, 2010. Her first novel, Some Assembly Required (Touchstone/Simon & Schuster), came out in 2008. Prior to that, Lynn sold her soul as a freelance advertising copywriter.

Technically a “washashore,” Lynn
More about Lynn Kiele Bonasia...