Start by marking “Eight Bullets: One Woman's Story of Surviving Anti-Gay Violence” as Want to Read:
Eight Bullets: One Woman's Story of Surviving Anti-Gay Violence

Eight Bullets: One Woman's Story of Surviving Anti-Gay Violence

The lesbian victim of a violent hate crime that left her seriously wounded and her partner dead is the story of family and community, the medical system, the police and courts, and the media--and of one woman's incredible courage. Simultaneous. IP.
Published April 1st 1995 by Firebrand Books

To ask other readers questions about Eight Bullets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eight Bullets

Fun Home by Alison BechdelWhy Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? by Jeanette WintersonZami by Audre LordeNaked in the Promised Land by Lillian FadermanUnbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi
Lesbian Memoirs
33rd out of 195 books — 51 voters
Just Juliet by Charlotte ReaganFun Home by Alison BechdelJerkbait by Mia SiegertMarbles by Ellen ForneyGender Outlaws by Kate Bornstein
Great LGBTQIA+ Reads
83rd out of 118 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa M.
Dec 02, 2014 Lisa M. rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
I had seen this book at my used bookstore several times, but I was always hesitant to buy it. On my birthday I took a trip to the bookstore and bought everything I could possibly want - including this. This is the first book of the bunch, and I am happy I read it.

This book details the attack that left Claudia's lover, Rebecca, dead, and Claudia shot five times. It also details the aftermath - Claudia's ongoing healing (physically and mentally,) the court case, and Claudia's involvement in gay p
Nicole
Dec 21, 2010 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Haunting. Once I started reading, I just couldn't put it down. It wasn't the easiest book I've read - it was heart-wrenching to read through every single detail of the horror she (and Rebecca) encountered. But it's a story that needs to be told - everyone, no matter where you sit on the spectrum of sexual orientation, should read this book.
Zachary Matson
May 14, 2014 Zachary Matson rated it really liked it
Very powerful.
Bobbiewawoo
Apr 01, 2011 Bobbiewawoo rated it liked it
Started off with a transcript of the survivor talking about the incident which really should have been edited. As presented, it seemed more like babbling.

I found the switch between third person and first person narration annoying. Perhaps if these two different points of view would have been in separate chapters it would have helped.

Overall, it was an interesting story (true story) and a reminder of how far we have come as a society and how far we have *not* come.

I would recommend it for anyone
Rhonda Stormy
Jun 28, 2016 Rhonda Stormy rated it it was amazing
Well told enough to make me not want to hike. Scary but a great story of endurance and survival.
Mary
May 10, 2009 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, political
Though I read this many years ago, the images are still in my head. It is chilling and scary. Kudos to Claudia for staying brave throughout a horrific situation. I especially remember that when she went out to the road for help, the first car passed her by. When the second car went by, she just wouldn't take no for an answer; she MADE them give her a ride.
Life is just too weird and too full of hate sometimes.
Kasey
Jun 10, 2009 Kasey rated it did not like it
To be honest, I did not finish this book. I simply couldn't. The story is important; the life altering events involved are absolutely harrowing. The author's heavy dollops of platitudes, no style style, hard to follow thought processes and overall clumsy writing were ultimately too distracting for me.
Robin
Feb 03, 2013 Robin rated it really liked it
The crime which is the subject of this book was mentioned in A Walk in the Woods. I started this book the same day I finished Walk in the Woods and I finished it that same day. Given, it is a not a big book, but it was very well written and so personal that the time just flew.
William Rock
Mar 29, 2012 William Rock rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing story of survival. I was fortunate to meet this woman after she wrote this novel. It really is a great story that tells about a persons ability to survive both in life and the ignorance of prejudice.
Tommy
Mar 28, 2007 Tommy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Hikers, Women, Sensitive males
Painfully gripping book about the reality of hate. It is a story of survival of the greatest degree. A fun camping trip turns into a nightmare when one idiot shoots at two lesbians.
Andrea
Jan 01, 2008 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I remember this book and that it wasn't the best written book in the world but carried the message of acceptance.
Mel
Dec 28, 2008 Mel rated it it was amazing
Reminds me why it's important to stand up and continue to fight.
Kathy
Jun 04, 2009 Kathy rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, queer
Immensely disturbing.
Beata
Beata marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Chandel
Chandel marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Valentina Varela
Valentina Varela marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Mary Beth
Mary Beth marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
S
S marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Veronika Říhovská
Veronika Říhovská marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Laura Foster
Laura Foster rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
LARRY PHILLIPS
LARRY PHILLIPS rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Alistair
Alistair marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
River Guru
River Guru rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Michael Helseth
Michael Helseth marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Ananya Malhotra
Ananya Malhotra marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Trevor Becker
Trevor Becker marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Virtual Equality: The Mainstreaming of Gay and Lesbian Liberation
  • Sex Changes: The Politics of Transgenderism
  • Dress Codes: Of Three Girlhoods--My Mother's, My Father's, and Mine
  • My Dangerous Desires: A Queer Girl Dreaming Her Way Home
  • The Escape Artists
  • The Erotic Spirit: An Anthology of Poems of Sensuality, Love, and Longing (Shambhala Library)
  • Tales of the Lavender Menace: A Memoir of Liberation