Start by marking “Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment” as Want to Read:
Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment

Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment

4.31  ·  Rating Details ·  1,170 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews

"This is the definitive reference book for any serious or professional UNIX systems programmer. Rago has updated and extended the original Stevens classic while keeping true to the original."

â”Andrew Josey, Director, Certification, The Open Group, and Chair of the POSIX 1003.1 Working Group

For over a decade, serious C programmers have relied on one book for practical, in-d

Published January 1st 2008 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published June 30th 1992)

TK Keanini
I had the pleasure in my lifetime to take a tutorial from Stevens at a USENIX conference before he passed. It was an experience I will never forget. All of his books capture his ability to transfer very complex information in a way that no one else can quite do for me. Just like you will always remember that teacher who really made your wheels turn, I will always be greatful to Richard Stevens for his contribution to UNIX and TCPIP networking.
Ed
Jul 16, 2008 Ed rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Unix/Linux programmers
Shelves: work
This and K&R C are the 2 best books on Unix programming.
Bernard Ndegwa
Nov 23, 2014 Bernard Ndegwa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you need an example when in doubt of how the standard library implements a function this is the book to go to.
Vasil Kolev
Probably the best book on any UNIX programming. It's good for novices, and everyone can learn something from the book. It doesn't contain some of the weird and new interfaces some of the OSes contain, but sticks to the standards and promotes a pretty good programming style and interface.
Asem Nofal
Nov 30, 2015 Asem Nofal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it, favourites
Helped me a lot to understand how the standard library is implemented
Tom Ludwig
Jun 21, 2015 Tom Ludwig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you program for Unix/Linux, you need this book. It is that simple.
Michael Isaac
Aug 20, 2016 Michael Isaac rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've ever read discussing UNIX.
Kurt Schwehr
Jul 26, 2014 Kurt Schwehr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
Read this around 1995-6 from front to back.
Cathy_chang
Oct 28, 2014 Cathy_chang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book
Prashanth Rao
+ Comprehensive, both in breadth, and in depth

- Dry

Compared to writers such as Kernighan, Pike and Ritchie, I find Stevens' style awfully boring. K, P and R, for example, bring in interesting problems (e.g. Markov chains) to solve with the tools they are going to introduce to us. Stevens, in contrast, sticks to just explaining functions, mechanism, etc.

Good reference, but boring.
Soh Kam Yung
Dec 30, 2013 Soh Kam Yung rated it really liked it
Shelves: computing, reference
A good summary and guide to advanced programming in the Unix environment. Covers most of the major Unix APIs and shows you not only how to use the interfaces but how to use them properly and securely.
Chris
Jan 03, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally started reading this. Great book, wish I read it 4 years ago when it would have been more helpful. Much faster way to learn the gist of the commands than reading man pages.
Warren Mcpherson
Very approachable and readable, much bigger than most other things on my bookshelf, this book delivers a wonderful insight into the details of Unix architecture and programming.
Kyle The Hacker
Apr 16, 2013 Kyle The Hacker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
APUE is the magic tome of POSIX development. Code examples for most things, and pretty good coverage of, as it were, programming in the Unix environment.
Pete
Dec 23, 2013 Pete rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A stunningly well written book on how to harness the UNIX programming environment. It is a tome worth reading. Highly recommended.
Aurimas Mikalauskas
Sep 24, 2013 Aurimas Mikalauskas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: print
Gave me a good understanding of unix internals which was exactly the goal I had when picking up this book.
Ned Kubica
Dec 29, 2011 Ned Kubica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books from the past. I still have a copy of this book on my shelf. Good memories.
Emil Petkov
Mar 15, 2013 Emil Petkov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome, want to find the time and the persistence to read the next five in the series...
Dave Peticolas
Oct 08, 2014 Dave Peticolas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Stevens's masterful tome covering the UNIX system calls.

Wm
Mar 24, 2008 Wm rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work, computers
Brutal to read, but I use this text on a regular basis.
Dean Jones
Jan 12, 2009 Dean Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How I learned Unix programming. Great reference.
Bhas Karan
Mar 07, 2013 Bhas Karan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i want to read this book entirely.
Alec Clews
Jun 24, 2014 Alec Clews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, unix, all
Great book. Lots of detail.
Ramesh
Aug 30, 2013 Ramesh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Get the second edition.
Dimitri
Michael Steinfeld
Biblical!
Henrique Moniz
Henrique Moniz rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Kundan Singh
Kundan Singh is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2016
Leroy
Leroy added it
Sep 24, 2016
  • The UNIX Programming Environment
  • The Art of UNIX Programming
  • The Implementation (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2)
  • The Design of the UNIX Operating System
  • Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools
  • C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference
  • sed & awk

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »