Start by marking “The Love Season” as Want to Read:
The Love Season

The Love Season

3.64  ·  Rating Details ·  7,142 Ratings  ·  524 Reviews
It's a hot August Saturday on Nantucket Island. Over the course of the next 24 hours, two lives will be transformed forever.
Marguerite Beale, former chef of culinary hot spot Les Parapluies, has been out of the public eye for over a decade. This all changes with a phone call from Marguerite's goddaughter, Renata Knox. Marguerite has not seen Renata since the death of Rena
Hardcover, Large Print, 451 pages
Published July 27th 2006 by Thorndike Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Love Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Love Season

skein
Jun 03, 2011 skein rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-star, 2011
I dunno who the (expletive) titled this book, but they were on crack.

A frustrating read. Hilderbrand apparently operates under the delusion that a book takes only a few stock characters and a hint of mysterious mystery that isn't explained until the very end, bake at 500 degrees for fifteen minutes stir twice, success!
Why, Elin? (Can I call you Elin?) You had the ingredients for creme brulee au chocolat and you settled for microwave brownies. WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO YOURSELF? & more import
Marleen
Jun 20, 2011 Marleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elin-hilderbrand
So far I’ve read five other Elin Hilderbrand’s books and I generally enjoy her stories set on Nantucket. Hilderbrand’s writing style is fluent and very pleasant. In my opinion, she’s quite good in creating cozy atmospheres. So, I have not (yet) grown tired of this author, and maybe I never will. Eventhough I didn’t like “The Love Season” as much as her other books, it was still an okay read and I was interested to get to the end.
The reason why I wasn’t enthralled with this story has everything
Margie Rogers
It's hard to finish a book when you don't like the characters you are reading about. I did finish, but even then I was disappointed at the abrupt ending.
I was very dismayed at the behavior of Renata. How much in love with Cade could she have been if she was eying Miles from the minute she meet him? Not what you would expect of a newly engaged 19 year old, where is her depth? The tantrum in the kitchen was so far over the top, that I almost put the book down right there. The only reason I kept r
Carol Brill
Hard not to admire an author who can write a 294 page novel that takes place in one day. Not my favorite Elin Hilderbrand novel. Liked the last quarter better than the rest of the story.
Holli
Oct 26, 2008 Holli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Love Season is another great one by Ms. Hilderbrand! I really love her books. This one took place over the course of two days but flip flopped between current happenings and past recollections from the characters so it was like two stories in one. The character development was exquisite and I couldn't wait to learn their secrets. The only thing I wished for while reading was more.... more development, more story, more background..... but what she gave her readers was still good.
Yvette (hooked on the nook)
In my opinion the way Erin captured Margo's character as a chef and the delightful description of all the different food variations that swirled in her head constantly as a way of describing emotions and events of life made this a good read.
BJ
Not my favorite by this author, but it was readable and kept the pages turning. The entire book covered just one day in the life of the characters, but the main character did a lot of flashing back, so we got the whole back story. The main character, Margo, used to be a chef with her own restaurant in Nantucket. It is her story, as well as her best friend, Candace (who is dead), Candace's husband, Dan, and Candace's brother, Porter (who was Margo's lover). It is the story of their friendships, r ...more
Joan
Oct 05, 2014 Joan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Of the books I've read my Hilderbrand this one I didn't like. Marguerite meets Porter in Paris. They are a couple in Marguerite's mind. His sister, Candace is her best friend. After 15 years, Porter tells Marguerite he is marrying another. (It shouldn't be a shock, he sees Marguerite only in the summer and is pictured in the newspapers with many other women.) Candace is killed by a drunk driver while trying to console Marguerite. Renata, Candace's daughter returns to Nantucket after 15 years and ...more
Michelle
Apr 08, 2015 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes for this book based on others I've read in the past by Hilderbrand, but it unfortunately didn’t meet my standards, mainly because of the style it was written in. If Hilderbrand chose a different approach the story could have been very moving. While some parts I struggled to read through, the looming mystery got me to the end, which ended up extremely unsatisfying.

To read my full review, check out my blog:
Kim
Jun 12, 2014 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
eh... Hilderbrand can rank herself up there with all the children's and YA authors who love to have a motherless protagonist. This one was just so-so. I do like all of the food she includes in her books. I gave it an extra star because of the food.
Maryann
May 31, 2014 Maryann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I could only give this one an ok. It had some elements I do like -- such as peculiarity in characters, but overall it was depressing. The author has written other books I've enjoyed quite a bit more. I guess there was just too much regret in the reminiscing in this one.
Jenny
May 31, 2008 Jenny marked it as stopped-reading  ·  review of another edition
I had to put it down because I just can't get into it at this point. I hope to pick it up again soon.
Gill Brown
Jan 10, 2017 Gill Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good book I thoroughly enjoyed it. Draws you in from first few pages.
Alanna
Jun 07, 2016 Alanna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was by far the least enjoyable Elin Hilderbrand book. I found myself bored and not caring for the characters. Don't recommend, she has so many wonderful novels! This is not one of them!
Deb
Jul 16, 2013 Deb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy cooking this book is a perfect recipe!!
Suzanne
Not her best, but I did enjoy it!
Carrie
Jul 21, 2008 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of her best twists at the end. Loved it!
Rebecca Richmond
A good beach read, skimmed a lot of it, but still enjoyable.
Deb Nowack
Jan 11, 2017 Deb Nowack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stunning ending!
Patti
*** 1/2 stars
Lynne Radcliffe
Not the usual Hiderbrand book. I found the characters to be less endearing and the plot a bit "ho hum."
Jocelyn
Mar 07, 2017 Jocelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book, some parts were sad but it was still a really good book.
Paige
Mar 05, 2017 Paige rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was fantastic , a good quick read !
Jennefer
Oct 14, 2011 Jennefer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elin Hilderbrand's is one of my favorite authors! This being said, she doesn't disappoint in The Love Season. This novel takes place on the lovely Nantucket Island. The story spans only twenty-four hours, yet covers decades of information. In those twenty-four hours, the main characters Marguerite Beale and Renata Knox will face their past as well as each other.

The story introduces nineteen-year-old Renata Knox who hasn't seen her godmother, Marguerite Beale, since the death of her mother, Cand
Karin Mika
Feb 19, 2017 Karin Mika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great engaging read. Some unrealistic parts, but a real page turner of a story. Even though I'm not a foodie, the integration of the methodical nature of great cooking really added to the character development.
Criswi
Sep 20, 2016 Criswi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Original historia en la que se mezcla el desarrollo de un día muy especial para la protagonista con el entramado de su vida. Se lee muy fácil y muy rápido. Ideal para ir leyendo en el metro/tren.
Champaign Public Library
Recommended by Danotra B.

I finished this about a month ago and after leaving my friends behind (the characters in the book) I am still thinking about them.

This book is a love story or as we do with our fingers a “quotations marks” a quote, unquote romance. When I read a book the characters become my friends, and if a writer is really good, then they introduce you and allow you to really get to know them. I am a person who likes people and wants to know the rest of the story. I am not a fair weat
Farrah Cole
I generally enjoy Elin Hildebrand's novels as they are well written and slightly deeper than regular chick lit. However, that being said, I feel like this novel was the weakest one of hers that I've read so far. Don't get me wrong, there's lots to like in this novel: Nantucket, the care with which the food scenes are written, the writing of Marguerite (Daisy) and Renata's characters. But overall, the usual magic that her novels have seemed to be lacking in this one. I thought the relationship wi ...more
Kathy
Aug 24, 2013 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just who is Marguerite Beale, one time chef of once hot Les Parapluies, a trendy Nantucket restaurant? This novel tells us that and more. The chef has kept herself in her house on the island, until her godchild, Renata, calls to announce that, while on the island meeting her newly affianced parents, she wants to visit Marguerite (or Daisy, as she is known by familiars) to find out anything she can about her mother, who died when she was about five. This is the story of Renata’s day on the island ...more
Kim Weiss
Jun 30, 2015 Kim Weiss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reminds me a little bit of the movie "Notes on a Scandal," where a lonely older woman becomes attached--perhaps too attached--a younger friend. Marguerite or Daisy is the rare heroine who is not attractive and/or a man magnet. This is not common in any genre of women's fiction--certainly the other two female characters (Candace and Renata) had no problem attracting straight guys or lesbians for that matter.

Daisy was different, however. She had only one lover in her life and her only fr
  • Beachcombers
  • The Summer Of Us
  • Sand Castles
  • Peppermint Creek Inn (Undercover, #1)
  • Kisses to Remember
  • Letters From Home
  • If You Believe
  • Beach Trip
  • In the Arms of Danger
  • A Million Wishes (Wishes, #1)
  • Driftwood Summer
  • The Beach House (The Beach House #1)
  • Deadly Dance (A-Tac, #5)
  • The Goodbye Summer
  • Swimming Lessons
  • Pawleys Island (Lowcountry Tales, #5)
Elin Hilderbrand lives on Nantucket with her husband and their three young children. She grew up in Collegeville, Pennsylvania, and traveled extensively before settling on Nantucket, which has been the setting for her five previous novels. Hilderbrand is a graduate of Johns Hopkins University and the graduate fiction workshop at the University of Iowa.

Facebook.com/ElinHilderbrand

Pinterest.com/Elin
More about Elin Hilderbrand...

“It was like we had known all along that the sky was going to fall and then it fell and we pretended to be surprised.” 9 likes