Start by marking “Tumble Bumble” as Want to Read:
Tumble Bumble

Tumble Bumble

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  509 ratings  ·  72 reviews
A tiny bug goes for a walk, but it's no ordinary stroll. Soon he bumps into a cat, then a crocodile, and even a baby pig! More creatures join in, until they tippy-toe into a mysterious yellow house belonging to a young boy, who happily tumble bumbles right along with them. In this charming cumulative tale, Felicia Bond takes readers on a rhythmic adventure that counts new ...more
Published April 26th 2000 by HarperCollins (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Tumble Bumble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tumble Bumble

Mo Pie
The baby loves this story, and I read it to her every night. The issue I have about Tumble Bumble is that of the gender disparity. There are eleven animals and one child. Of these, the bug, cat, pig, mouse, and child are all male. Only the crocodile is explicitly female. And the gender of the rest is not identified. To address this, when I read the story, I change "Behind him was the baby pig" to "Behind her was the baby pig." So in my version the cat and the crocodile are both females. Even so, ...more
Brian Lofton
I do not understand the fuss with this book, and find it to be inferior to many other baby books out there.

My first complaint would be that the story line tries to be whimsical but succeeds to be nonsensical... not in the good way. You start along following "a tiny bug" (which to me is redundant), who met a cat a stopped to talk... who bumps into a crocodile... and this continues on and on until all the creatures decide to-- for no reason-- walk into somebody's house. Then one gets tired (then
Samantha Penrose
I like the start of the book, a rythmic introduction to a handful of different animals....I had to explain what the phrase "appologizing to no avail" meant which definetly interupted the flow of the story.
I'm not sure why the animals decided to enter a house when no one answered the door...it reminded me a little of goldilocks at that point. They tip-toed in and made a big mess in the kitchen while digging up some munchies, and then they helped themselves to a bed upstairs. From out of nowhere a
Dan Macdonald
This is one of my daughter's favorite books. The rhyming scheme is fun, the illustrations are great, and we have read it so many times we know it from memory. Yes, the plot is nonsense (how do you "tumble bumble up the stairs"?), but its unpredictability allows for a spirit of fun and exploring and making friends. We play games with it now where I will start a sentence and my daughter will finish it. It builds her involvement in the story and appreciation of rhymes. I recommend it highly.
Professor
Fun silliness. Knew some killjoys would be on here complaining about the breaking and entering (it's a goldilocks reference) and probably someone complains they eat junk food. For now it's fun to read out loud to an infant.
Alexis Jennings (ASU)
During the journey of a tiny bug, he meets many friends along the way. A cat, a frog and even a crocodile join the fun. As each new friend follows along, they come across a house. Since no one seems to be home, they decide to let themselves in. After a exhausting trip, they gang decides they are tired and all ten friends snuggle in the same bed.

The illustrations in this book are very welcoming for a child with the book sized to their tiny hands. As they turn the page, the child is so excited t
Keshia
Good illustrations. Fun story. Only slightly alarming that the animals just wonder into someone's house and go through their food and sleep in their bed, then end with everyone having a party and being friends. Usually that's not how trespassing works, and my 2 year old already thinks he's allowed in my neighbor's house if they open the front door.
QuaNiyah Cooke
Great book that the children can be apart of predicting what's going to happen next? Can be used in an animal theme because a lot of animals are featured and as an extension the teacher can teach about those animals .
Alison Durbin
I think this book would be nice to have for readers in first or second grade. The text can be used to help students with making predictions as to where they think the animals will end up.
Paige Smith
This is a fun book about the adventure of making new friends. The illustrations are engaging and show the diversity of friends.
Chelsea Kimmey
This story rhyming scheme guides reading and makes it predictable. I enjoyed this story because it flowed easily.
Isabella Sanchez
When I was a baby, I LOVED THIS SO MUCH!
Natalie Weber
This is a great book for little kids
Amy
This is a really cute and fun book for young readers. It follows an insect and all the friends he meets along his walk through the town. It is a great introduction to rhyming and repetition - phrases are repeated and counting can be kept up as the insect moves along and meets his new friends. A lesson could use stuffed animals and their movement through the "town" or classroom, and a counting record can be kept for when new friends join in on the ant's walk.
Ngoc  Dang
This is a good beginner book to teach children about rhyming. Children can also predict what the next word might be because the illustration give them clues. Children can read on their own and write out the rhyming words that they hear. I used this book for my kindergarten students and they had fun figuring out with the rhyming words were. Some used clues to help them figure out the words. Some just tried to make up rhyming words.
Maya
Charming story about friendship with others who don't look like you, extremely appealling illustrations, bouncy verse that inspired all three of my children to make it one of their first learn-by-heart poems (along with 'Cat in the Hat' and 'Green Eggs and Ham') - this wonderful book has fallen apart from use in our house and is part of our gift bag for all baby showers attended.
Jasmine
This is a wonderful book to read aloud to students. This book is filled with rhyming words so this would be a great book to read before introducing a lesson on rhyming words. This book is also filled with repeating sentence stuctures which is great for younger students. You can also go through all of the rhyming words in this story and ceate a rhyming word chart with your students.
Jennifer Kim
This book was an okay book to just bring about the concept of counting through funny animal friends. It is about a young boy and as he is walking, he accumulates more and more friends. The book ends with the boy counting up to ten. I might use this book to bring up the concept of addition to young students, however, I do feel that there are books that introduce this concept better.
Igolder
Baby's favorite bedtime book, but if anyone actually put a child, a bear, a crocodile, a pig, a cat, a toad, a bee, and a bug together in one big bumble, what do you think would happen? I also question the way that feet are counted towards the end. Some of these animals use more than two "feet" to get around, let alone tippy-toe on. So minus one star for that.
Mary
This is a very light rhyming story with many new vocabulary words and pairings that serve to increase phonologic awareness.
The illustrations are very similar to those of the "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" series. These similarities help the children connect the two texts to each other.
Alicia Scully
Ant decides to go on an adventure and on the way he runs into a whole bunch of friends! This book can work as a counting book or just a fun one about various animals, but the cute characters and the fun wordplay will make the reading experience a great one. :)
Leah
When I began reading the book, I assumed that the crocodile was an alligator and that the toad was a frog. Is this anti-croc and anti-toad bias? Or are the illustrations less clear and detailed than they should be? Nevertheless, it is an excellent book.
Sheri Gunderson
Jan 23, 2008 Sheri Gunderson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sheri by: Kristi
Shelves: for-children
One of the cutest, most fun-to-read children's books ever! For a long time this was Elena's favorite book, and I can't wait to read it to Anna. The illustrations do just as much for the story as the words themselves. Simply adorable.
Fabulous Classroom
This is such a fun book for young children. Rhyming words make the story flow in a "sing song" manner, engaging kids and adults alike. Fun to read over and over again (which both of my children frequently requested I do)! :)
Taylor Troncin
This book was read for Wesley’s summer reading club. Wesley is my (soon to be five year old) son. This review is what we used for his reading club.
***

Wesley had read this book with his grandma last night.
Heather
One of our favorites and one of the first books that Olivia quoted during play, could sign most of the parts and had memorized and would finish the lines when we read it. Great for Signing with your child!
Jessica Chambliss
This book could be used in Kindergarten to introduce animals and the noises they make! This book could not be used much past kindergarten because it is simple answers, simple animals and a very short story!
Chili Public
My son and I read this before bed almost every night... which is probably why we have it memorized. I knew it was a good book because even after all this time, I'm not bored of the book.
Kelley
A great book for toddlers. The book is written in rhyme and is excellent for re-inforcing phonemic awareness skills. The illustrations are super cute and the story line is engaging.
  • The Itsy Bitsy Spider
  • I Know a Rhino
  • Fifteen Animals!
  • Ask Mr. Bear
  • Little Gorilla
  • A Hat for Minerva Louise
  • Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?
  • Wild Boars Cook
  • Good-Night, Owl!
  • Who Has These Feet?
  • Miss Mary Mack
  • What Shall We Do With The Boo Hoo Baby?
  • Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash
  • The Happy Day
  • Mommy Hugs
  • I Like It When . . .
  • Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks from A to Z
  • Planes Board Book
Felicia Bond knew when she was five that she wanted to be an artist when she observed a buttery beam of light coming in her bedroom window. She has illustrated numerous children's books and written many of her own, including Tumble Bumble and Poinsettia and Her Family. She lived for many years in New York and currently lives in New Mexico with her family of cats and a horse named Twister.
More about Felicia Bond...
The Day It Rained Hearts Big Hugs, Little Hugs The Halloween Play The Halloween Performance Poinsettia and Her Family