Start by marking “The Spiderwick Chronicles: Care and Feeding of Sprites (Spiderwick Chronicles)” as Want to Read:
The Spiderwick Chronicles: Care and Feeding of Sprites (Spiderwick Chronicles)

The Spiderwick Chronicles: Care and Feeding of Sprites (The Spiderwick Chronicles - Companion Books)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,687 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Got Sprites?

Many would have you believe that sprites (or "fairies" as they're often called) are sweet and pretty and ultimately peaceful creatures. But don't let the carefree nature of these dazzling beguilers fool you. Because while they do make for awesome pets (or, if you prefer, companions), these are not creatures to be handled lightly. So forget everything you know -
Published December 26th 2006 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published November 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Spiderwick Chronicles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spiderwick Chronicles

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Twilight Collection by Stephenie MeyerHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Amazing Books!
34th out of 132 books — 105 voters
Nothando's Journey by Jill ManlyWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickFlotsam by David WiesnerArt & Max by David Wiesner
Best Illustrated Books
38th out of 167 books — 78 voters

More lists with this book...

Steven R. McEvoy
May 03, 2012 Steven R. McEvoy rated it it was amazing
This is the last of the books between the Spriderwick Chronicles and the Beyond Spiderwick trilogy. It is a guide for Care and Showing of Sprites, endorsed by the International Sprite League. There is an illustration of each species and a symbol key for habitat, locomotion, disposition and additional traits.

The sections are:
The Magnificent Sprite
Anatomy of a Sprite
Selecting your Sprite
Obtaining your Sprite
What's Not a Sprite
Sexing your Sprite (not what you think)
Housing Your Sprite
Proper Nutriti
Alberto
Has a few inaccuracies, but in general is a very informative guide to taking care of sprites. I've used it as a reference on several occasions. Just wish there was a little more info on how to get them out of porch lights. That would be handy.
I really enjoyed this book. The pictures were beautifully illustrated by Tony DiTerlizzi and I found myself captived by each drawing. I loved the snipits of humor that were scattered throughout the book. Some pages even made me laugh out loud in their detailing of sprites and their behavior. Overall I thought that was a fascinating book that will give a young child with a wild imagination hours of enjoyment and fantastical thoughts.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.
Dolly
Apr 16, 2015 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: middle grade readers
This is a fun book that shows how to care for pet Sprites. It's one of the books in The Spiderwick Chronicles - Companion Books series.

It's very similar to guide books on other animals, and really explains about the personalities and preferences for the various critters. The illustrations are amazing and the diagrams and Latin names are so scientific, it's hard to remember that this is a fantasy book.

The humor is somewhat subtle, but made me laugh in parts. I loved the description in Section Tw
Kaitlin Michelle
Feb 10, 2016 Kaitlin Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
The illustrations in this book are very cute, and match the series exactly. This book is just a companion book, and won't really work as a bedtime story or anything, but it is cute and interesting to look at. It takes about 2 minutes to read, and about 20-30 minutes to pour over the artwork. The information it gives you on care of sprites is funny and believable. Overall I loved it, and if you have the rest of the series, I think you should get this as well.
Katy Jane
Apr 05, 2014 Katy Jane rated it it was amazing
1. I laughed out loud at several of the descriptions in this book.
"After purchasing a sprite through dubious channels, a member of the Sprite League was delivered a lawn gnome with wings taped to it's back."
2. The drawing were so beautiful and fantastic.
3. I loved the little key of symbols that told you about each sprite.
4. This is a great addition to the Spiderwick saga.
5. Very fun for kids to pour over.
Rachael
Dec 30, 2015 Rachael rated it it was ok
I simply loved the drawings in this. I remember reading this in elementary school and becoming engrossed in the world of The Spiderwick Chronicles. It makes you believe in the impossible again. This would be a great read for any kid that believes we live in a world that is far more fantastical than what meets the eye.
Alyssa
Nov 16, 2011 Alyssa rated it really liked it
This was so beautifully illustrated. Girls, women, boys, and men who have an interest in the fantasy and mythological field definately would like to look at this. I was 11-12 years old when i looked and read this story. I have a obcessition with spiderwick in which i read this book religiously. :) It gives a new aspect of sprites and much more in depth than the Spiderwick book series. If you enjoyed this book i recommend get the "Aurthur Spiderwick's Field Guide: for the fantastical world around ...more
Jun 10, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I love all the Spiderwick books and this book was such an enjoyable read! It is both informative and humorous. The illustrations are beautifully detailed and whimsical. I recommend this book to people of all ages who enjoy fantasy.
Phoebe Cook
Feb 06, 2015 Phoebe Cook rated it it was ok
I think it was a waste of a book, if I may be quite honest. It should've had a little more detail. Maybe they should've explained things differently, I don't know.
Mossy
Aug 26, 2015 Mossy rated it it was amazing
I loved the whole spiderwick chronicles series and this book is a great addition as extra reading.
Rachel (Sfogs)
Feb 04, 2016 Rachel (Sfogs) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
Loved the art, the witty writting, and the overall package.
Gabrielle Link
Mar 29, 2014 Gabrielle Link rated it it was amazing
This was very good and very beautiful. Can't wait for more!
Mary
Oct 28, 2014 Mary rated it liked it
The illustrations in this book are amazing.
Cathy
Jun 29, 2015 Cathy added it
Only a fanatic could read this.
Katie Farmer
Nov 09, 2014 Katie Farmer rated it really liked it
Of course I loved this.
KidsFiction Teton County Library
Dec 26, 2011 KidsFiction Teton County Library rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Anyone who enjoyed the sprites in The Spidewick Chronicles, will find this book interesting. It is written like a non-fiction book. It explains what spirits are (hint: they are not goblins, pixies or will-o'-the-wisps) and how you may have one (or more) as a pet. Their mission statement is "...to create positive awareness of sprites as engaging pets and to form a breed standard by which sprites can be shown in competitions all over the world."
Good luck and enjoy your sprites.
Marie
Jan 30, 2014 Marie rated it really liked it
I WANT A SPRITE. X3
Taylor Baker-Gower
Dec 18, 2014 Taylor Baker-Gower rated it it was amazing
Such a fun book for those with a bitchin' imagination.
Kelly Ward
Sep 15, 2013 Kelly Ward rated it really liked it
This was a companion style book that I bought for/read with my daughter, when she was younger, after reading The Spiderwick Chronicles. It wasn't a strain to read or anything, but it was a cute book with great illustrations and my daughter enjoyed it. For what it was, it was worth the buy.
Christine
Jul 09, 2008 Christine rated it it was ok
this book was written just like an actual "how to" manual on how to care for sprites. Although it was well written and had some cute things, it was quite long and got a little boring since we do not actually have a sprite to deal with. However, if we ever do,this would be a must read.
Melisa
Aug 28, 2008 Melisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
My son really likes this book and refers to it often! It has enough of a scientific approach that it entices him into the fantasy. He has balked at other things on similar topics because they have not engaged him from a scientific point of view.
Duane
Nov 18, 2008 Duane rated it liked it
Although I'm not a reader of the Spiderwick series, I really enjoyed the fanciful illustrations and humorous instructions on how to properly care for your pet sprite. The authors made this book attractive for both young and old. A nice read.
Anthony Faber
Dec 22, 2013 Anthony Faber rated it liked it
Not bad, but definitely not worth buying ($16 for less than 40 pages). This is another one of those "hey, let's rip off the fans" type books, in that I can't see any purpose to it other than to get them to fork over another $16 bucks.

Bean
Nov 08, 2010 Bean rated it liked it
Amusing quick read - I can see how young readers of the Spiderwich Chronicles would appreciate this guide! Tony DiTerlizzi's drawings are beautifully done. This book reminds you of an old-school field guide.
Katy
Mar 10, 2016 Katy rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
While I enjoyed this a bit less than the Spiderwick field guide, it still has a lot of beautiful art and fun ideas to offer. If you like fantasy or bugs, this one is for you.
Amber
My 11 yr old loved the whole book and was really into the info. My 9 yr old loved the book as well but was more into the pictures/drawings than anything else.
Suzanne
Jun 20, 2008 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Totally fanciful. I want a sprite of my own to care for. DiTerlizzi's illustrations are astounding. A wonderful companion book for Spiderwick lovers.
Crystal
Feb 18, 2009 Crystal rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
WOW, this is a beautiful, wry little book. I love all the illustrations, the legend, and the various "sections" of Sprite Care. Very clever.
Theresa
May 31, 2016 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
The Spiderwick Chronicles: Care and Feeding of Sprites
DiTerlizzi, Tony *
a good interest incitement book
  • The Spiderwick Chronicles: Notebook for Fantastical Observations
  • The Spiderwick Chronicles Movie : The Movie Storybook
  • The Art of Faery
  • The Goblin Companion
  • The Winter Child
  • A Practical Guide to Monsters
  • Strange Stains and Mysterious Smells: Based on Quentin Cottington's Journal of Faery Research
  • Hugo Pepper (Far-Flung Adventures, #3)
  • Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains
  • Secrets of the Gnomes
  • How to Find Flower Fairies
  • The Monstrous Memoirs of a Mighty McFearless
  • Da Wild, Da Crazy, Da Vinci (Time Warp Trio #14)
  • Parting The Veil: The Art of Nene Thomas
  • Ghosthunters and the Muddy Monster of Doom! (Ghosthunters, #4)
  • Wizardology
New York Times bestselling author and illustrator, Tony DiTerlizzi, has been creating books for over a decade. From his fanciful picture books like "Jimmy Zangwow’s Moon Pie Adventure", "Ted" and "The Spider & The Fly" (a Caldecott Honor book), to chapter books like "Kenny and The Dragon" and the WondLa trilogy, Tony always imbues his stories with a rich imagination. With Holly Black, he creat ...more
More about Tony DiTerlizzi...

The Spiderwick Chronicles - Companion Books (4 books)
  • The Spiderwick Chronicles: Notebook for Fantastical Observations
  • The Chronicles of Spiderwick: A Grand Tour of the Enchanted World, Navigated by Thimbletack
  • Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around You