Start by marking “The Spiderwick Chronicles: Care and Feeding of Sprites (Spiderwick Chronicles)” as Want to Read:
The Spiderwick Chronicles: Care and Feeding of Sprites (Spiderwick Chronicles)

The Spiderwick Chronicles: Care and Feeding of Sprites (The Spiderwick Chronicles - Companion Books)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  1,420 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Got Sprites?

Many would have you believe that sprites (or "fairies" as they're often called) are sweet and pretty and ultimately peaceful creatures. But don't let the carefree nature of these dazzling beguilers fool you. Because while they do make for awesome pets (or, if you prefer, companions), these are not creatures to be handled lightly. So forget everything you know -
Published December 26th 2006 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published November 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Spiderwick Chronicles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spiderwick Chronicles

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Twilight Collection by Stephenie MeyerHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
Amazing Books!
33rd out of 131 books — 104 voters
Kith by Holly BlackKind by Holly BlackKin by Holly BlackTithe by Holly BlackProspero Regained by L. Jagi Lamplighter
Bad-Ass Faerie Books
76th out of 78 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Steven R. McEvoy
This is the last of the books between the Spriderwick Chronicles and the Beyond Spiderwick trilogy. It is a guide for Care and Showing of Sprites, endorsed by the International Sprite League. There is an illustration of each species and a symbol key for habitat, locomotion, disposition and additional traits.

The sections are:
The Magnificent Sprite
Anatomy of a Sprite
Selecting your Sprite
Obtaining your Sprite
What's Not a Sprite
Sexing your Sprite (not what you think)
Housing Your Sprite
Proper Nutriti
Katy Jane
1. I laughed out loud at several of the descriptions in this book.
"After purchasing a sprite through dubious channels, a member of the Sprite League was delivered a lawn gnome with wings taped to it's back."
2. The drawing were so beautiful and fantastic.
3. I loved the little key of symbols that told you about each sprite.
4. This is a great addition to the Spiderwick saga.
5. Very fun for kids to pour over.
Alyssa
This was so beautifully illustrated. Girls, women, boys, and men who have an interest in the fantasy and mythological field definately would like to look at this. I was 11-12 years old when i looked and read this story. I have a obcessition with spiderwick in which i read this book religiously. :) It gives a new aspect of sprites and much more in depth than the Spiderwick book series. If you enjoyed this book i recommend get the "Aurthur Spiderwick's Field Guide: for the fantastical world around ...more
Phoebe Cook
I think it was a waste of a book, if I may be quite honest. It should've had a little more detail. Maybe they should've explained things differently, I don't know.
Snorkle
I really enjoyed this book. The pictures were beautifully illustrated by Tony DiTerlizzi and I found myself captived by each drawing. I loved the snipits of humor that were scattered throughout the book. Some pages even made me laugh out loud in their detailing of sprites and their behavior. Overall I thought that was a fascinating book that will give a young child with a wild imagination hours of enjoyment and fantastical thoughts.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.
Gabrielle
This was very good and very beautiful. Can't wait for more!
Mary
The illustrations in this book are amazing.
Katie Farmer
Of course I loved this.
KidsFiction Teton County Library
Anyone who enjoyed the sprites in The Spidewick Chronicles, will find this book interesting. It is written like a non-fiction book. It explains what spirits are (hint: they are not goblins, pixies or will-o'-the-wisps) and how you may have one (or more) as a pet. Their mission statement is "...to create positive awareness of sprites as engaging pets and to form a breed standard by which sprites can be shown in competitions all over the world."
Good luck and enjoy your sprites.
Marie
I WANT A SPRITE. X3
Taylor Baker-Gower
Such a fun book for those with a bitchin' imagination.
Kelly Ward
This was a companion style book that I bought for/read with my daughter, when she was younger, after reading The Spiderwick Chronicles. It wasn't a strain to read or anything, but it was a cute book with great illustrations and my daughter enjoyed it. For what it was, it was worth the buy.
Christine
this book was written just like an actual "how to" manual on how to care for sprites. Although it was well written and had some cute things, it was quite long and got a little boring since we do not actually have a sprite to deal with. However, if we ever do,this would be a must read.
Melisa
My son really likes this book and refers to it often! It has enough of a scientific approach that it entices him into the fantasy. He has balked at other things on similar topics because they have not engaged him from a scientific point of view.
Duane
Although I'm not a reader of the Spiderwick series, I really enjoyed the fanciful illustrations and humorous instructions on how to properly care for your pet sprite. The authors made this book attractive for both young and old. A nice read.
Anthony Faber
Not bad, but definitely not worth buying ($16 for less than 40 pages). This is another one of those "hey, let's rip off the fans" type books, in that I can't see any purpose to it other than to get them to fork over another $16 bucks.

Bean
Amusing quick read - I can see how young readers of the Spiderwich Chronicles would appreciate this guide! Tony DiTerlizzi's drawings are beautifully done. This book reminds you of an old-school field guide.
Amber
My 11 yr old loved the whole book and was really into the info. My 9 yr old loved the book as well but was more into the pictures/drawings than anything else.
Suzanne
Totally fanciful. I want a sprite of my own to care for. DiTerlizzi's illustrations are astounding. A wonderful companion book for Spiderwick lovers.
Crystal
WOW, this is a beautiful, wry little book. I love all the illustrations, the legend, and the various "sections" of Sprite Care. Very clever.
Whitney
Jul 04, 2008 Whitney rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 8 and up
This book is an enjoyable way to learn about the may be real charicters we all know as Sprites!
Kathy
Far too short, but a cute little guide on caring for your pet sprite with beautiful illustrations.
Shan
Beautiful book. But not something I'd buy, seems like a repeat of the field guide..
Shottsie
Cute companion book for the Spiderwick series. My seven year old liked reading it too!
Lizzi Crystal
Cute book with tips on how to properly care for sprites - I want a fairy pet! ;-)
Jen
This is a companion to the Spiderwick Chronicles.

The illustrations are beautiful.
Beverly
A pet care manual for fairy beings, with absolutely wonderful illustrations.
Donna
Seriously, the story is beyond the point here, the art is fantastic.
Adriana
Gorgeous illustrations- now we go looking for sprites on walks!
  • The Goblin Companion
  • Ted
  • Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Letters
  • The Winter Child
  • Corby Flood (Far-Flung Adventures, #2)
  • A Practical Guide to Monsters (Practical Guides)
  • Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons (Ologies, #1)
  • Fairyopolis: A Flower Fairies Journal
  • In the Realm of the Never Fairies: The Secret World of Pixie Hollow
  • Enchantment of the Faerie Realm: Communicate with Nature Spirits & Elementals
  • The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood
  • Da Wild, Da Crazy, Da Vinci (Time Warp Trio #14)
  • The Peskie Spell (Fairy Realm, #9)
  • Tell Me a Dragon
  • Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains
Holly Black is a best-selling author of contemporary fantasy novels for kids, teens, and adults. She is the author of the Modern Faerie Tale series (Tithe, Valiant, and Ironside), The Spiderwick Chronicles (with Tony DiTerlizzi), and The Good Neighbors graphic novels (with Ted Naifeh) The Poison Eaters and Other Stories, a collection of short fiction, and The Curse Worker series (White Cat, Red Gl ...more
More about Holly Black...

The Spiderwick Chronicles - Companion Books (4 books)
  • The Spiderwick Chronicles: Notebook for Fantastical Observations
  • The Chronicles of Spiderwick: A Grand Tour of the Enchanted World, Navigated by Thimbletack
  • Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around You
Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales, #1) The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1) Ironside (Modern Faerie Tales, #3) The Coldest Girl in Coldtown White Cat (Curse Workers, #1)