Start by marking “The Moral Intelligence of Children: How to Raise a Moral Child” as Want to Read:
The Moral Intelligence of Children: How to Raise a Moral Child

The Moral Intelligence of Children: How to Raise a Moral Child

Child psychiatrist and Harvard professor Robert Coles has actively dedicated much of his life to exemplifying, teaching, and writing about the moral life. In his wonderful new book, Coles illuminates the ways in which children become moral or not so moral adults, drawing on case studies, talks with parents, visits to nurseries and classrooms, and interviews with children. ...more
Published January 1st 1998 by Plume (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Moral Intelligence of Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moral Intelligence of Children

Dennis Schvejda
May 24, 2014 Dennis Schvejda rated it liked it
This is not a "how-to" book, with a strategy to impart "moral intelligence" to your children. Rather, a general outline of children's life stages, fleshed out with a generous supply of engaging anecdotal stories taken from the author's long career. A few concrete points were made... 1) Parents who supply instant gratification are setting their children up for failure in the real world. Self control is essential. (I need a drink of water... NOW!) 2) Children learn by example, and are quick to lea ...more
Anya Behn
Aug 10, 2010 Anya Behn rated it liked it
Shelves: reference
Basically, children learn morality from example. :-)
Daniel L.
Apr 28, 2013 Daniel L. rated it it was amazing
Passing on Moral Values to the Next Generation

"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. The third is to be kind." So said Henry James in response to his nephew when he sought advice on what he ought to do with his life. Robert Coles, known for his extraordinarily insightful thought-provoking and profoundly sensitive five-volume work, Children in Crisis, delves into what it means to be moral and goes further to examine how children - even very y
Jeremy
Jan 04, 2016 Jeremy rated it really liked it
Thought-provoking read, especially because I found it helped me see particular students in my class this year more completely, helping me better empathize with their internal difficulties.
GoldenLemon
Feb 16, 2015 GoldenLemon rated it liked it
In conclusion, lead by examples, do not send mixed moral messages.
Yuyu
kecerdasan moral anak
Aug 06, 2010 Jennifer rated it did not like it
I admit I did not read every page of this book but I did not find it very insightful as a parent. I guess I was looking for hands-on ideas for raising a child with morality. The book discussed real or fictional examples and evaluated why children ended up without morality...not how to make sure they have morality.
Suzanne
Sep 30, 2010 Suzanne rated it it was ok
If you are looking for "bullet points" --short statements and specifics on "how to raise a moral child" this is not the book. While there are some good points, they are buried within the author's recollections of his times with kids of various ages. Not a quick, easy read.
Cara
Jul 16, 2008 Cara rated it liked it
I like that included the voices of people with whom he's worked, but I question some of the beliefs presented. Can an infant really understand that sometimes you have to wait? Maybe just not mine...maybe I really am spoiling him ;)
Ss Ho
Apr 10, 2012 Ss Ho rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with "stubborn" children
Recommended to Ss by: no one
I started reading this book because it was in the car. It's actually my mom's book. Though it does have some cool information. I especially like reading about other people's mistakes(kids and adults,hee,hee)=D
Larry Harms
Aug 27, 2013 Larry Harms rated it liked it
A decent book with pretty good ideas about morality and pitfalls many parents make when trying to instill it into our children. It was worth reading, but not my favorite book on the subject.
Theresa Powers
Dec 09, 2013 Theresa Powers rated it it was ok
I didn't really finish the book. Maybe I will pick it up another time. When reading for pleasure, I much prefer stories.
Deborah
Mar 19, 2012 Deborah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a very thought provoking book and I have recommended it over the years to many people in education.
Shimaa Yahia
Shimaa Yahia is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Breana Bauman
Breana Bauman marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Palak Jain
Palak Jain marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
ErinJ
ErinJ marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Mr. Theisen
Mr. Theisen rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Sherine
Sherine marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
John McCalpin
John McCalpin marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Brandee Anderson
Brandee Anderson marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Brandilynn
Brandilynn rated it it was ok
Aug 06, 2016
Christine
Christine rated it it was ok
Sep 18, 2016
Susan Jackson
Susan Jackson marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Shirleen
Shirleen marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
  • The Path to Purpose: Helping Our Children Find Their Calling in Life
  • Victors and Vanquished: Spanish and Nahua Views of the Conquest of Mexico
  • Bradshaw on the Family: A New Way of Creating Solid Self-Esteem
  • The Construction of Reality in the Child
  • El manual del perfecto ateo
  • History of the Philippines: From Indios Bravos to Filipinos
  • The Cry for Myth
  • Aztec Thought and Culture: A Study of the Ancient Nahuatl Mind
  • Ireland: A Terrible Beauty
  • Souls in Transition: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of Emerging Adults
  • The Evolving Self: Problem and Process in Human Development
  • Peace, Love and Healing: Bodymind Communication & the Path to Self-Healing: An Exploration
  • The Art of Pilgrimage: The Seeker's Guide to Making Travel Sacred
  • Vital Lies, Simple Truths: The Psychology of Self-Deception
  • Take Care of Yourself: The Complete Illustrated Guide to Medical Self-care
  • The Vicar of Christ
  • Identity and the Life Cycle
  • El espejo enterrado
Child psychiatrist, author, Harvard professor.

Robert Coles is a professor of psychiatry and medical humanities at the Harvard Medical School, a research psychiatrist for the Harvard University Health Services, and the James Agee Professor of Social Ethics at Harvard College.
More about Robert Coles...