Self Portrait in a Velvet Dress: The Fashion of Frida Kahlo

Self Portrait in a Velvet Dress: The Fashion of Frida Kahlo

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Frida Kahlo remains one of the most popular artists of our timesales of Frida books number into the hundreds ofthousandsand yet no volume has ever focused on one of the most memorable aspects of her persona and creativeoeuvre: her wardrobe. Now, for the first time, 95 original and beautifully staged photographs of Kahlo's newly restored clothing are paired with historic ph...more
Published June 18th 2008 by Chronicle Books (first published June 10th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Self Portrait in a Velvet Dress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Self Portrait in a Velvet Dress

Knitography
This is a beautiful book, full of gorgeous photographs of Frida's belongings; it would be of interest not only to fans of Frida Kahlo, but to people who are interested in textiles. It's certainly not a definitive work on the textiles of indigenous peoples of Mexico, but it gives some interesting information about those textiles within the context of Frida's wardrobe. It's interesting to look more closely at the interplay between Frida's work, beliefs, politics, and wardrobe.

I would have given th...more
S.
I admit I was never that into Frida Kahlo but she did have great taste in clothes. The photography in this book is rich and tactile, and the photographs of the clothes are often set beside an older photograph of Kahlo wearing the piece. If the body is an enormous, walking wound, she really knew how to bandage it.
Kara
Apr 28, 2009 Kara added it
I'm 37. Too old for Free People (almost), too young for Garnet Hill. Maybe I'll go ethnic.
Vicki Luschek
Need I say more? Beautiful book giving insight into an enigmatic woman and hints at indigenous dress of women from the Mexican Central American region. Photos of Frida Kahlo's fashions uncovered pristinely preserved in her bedroom after being locked away for years.
Ana
Mar 25, 2009 Ana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ana by: Marcus
I just got this book for my birthday and it's just AMAZING. Diego Rivera asked that Frida's dressing room/bathroom remain locked for 50 years after her death. This was honored and when it was opened several of her personal belongings including her dresses/skirts/shoes were found. A team of experts were called to restore several of the pieces to their original state. This book is just great and one of my favorite of all time!
Ann
Really exciting to see the clothing and jewelry that Mexican artist Frida Kahlo wore during her turbulent life. The clothing and jewelry helped form her character as an artist and vibrant woman. This gorgeous book celebrates the opening of Frida's closets that have been closed for over 60 years. It also inspires me to go back to the Blue House to see them!
Leah Allison
This is an absolutely stunning book. Olmedo's analysis of Kahlo's clothing-its significance and its history-is fascinating. He leaves the reader with a different take and deeper understanding of this truly beautiful artist. I highly recommend this book to any Frida Kahlo fan.
58cherries
A beautiful book and one to buy if you admire the artist's clothes and sense of style. I enjoyed seeing photographs of the actual clothes she painted herself in or was photographed in. I'd love to own some of these clothes myself.
Chelsea
This book is well worth it's cost. Beautiful pictures, beautiful clothes, and so much information about the clothing and Frida Kahlo's personal style. This is one I'll keep and continue to refer to.
Jan 08, 2010 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I have to admit that I read very little of the text. I was too mesmerized by the bright colors and beautiful photos.
Trina
Trina marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Ⓜ
marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Dawn Jansen
Dawn Jansen marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Carmine
Carmine marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Kiah
Kiah marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Dawn
Dawn added it
Nov 17, 2013
Agata Waldek
Agata Waldek marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2013