Start by marking “The Tale of Two Bad Mice” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Two Bad Mice

The Tale of Two Bad Mice (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  3,552 ratings  ·  102 reviews
A doll's house is the delightful setting for this most hilarious tale.One day, when the house is empty, those two bad mice, Tom Thumb and his wife, Hunca Munca, make themselves at home, only to find that the delicious looking ham that they were planning to devour is made of plaster, and the fish is glued to the plate!

How they deal with this unexpected situation, and what h
Published March 1st 1997 by Warne (first published 1904)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Two Bad Mice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Two Bad Mice

Lisa Vegan
I don't remember this from when I was young but I probably had it read to me. I liked this quite a bit more than I expected. It's actually very funny, the mice are cute, the story is different, in a good way, and it works well from beginning to end. I love dollhouses but the mice feel frustration when they find that the food in the dollhouse isn't real. What happens makes for a good story that holds up well even though it was written over a century ago.
Prashant
Tom Thumb and Hunca and Munca, the two bad mice, repaying for all they have stolen from the doll house.

description

This is good!
Helen (Helena/Nell)
Warning: this review is very considerably longer than the book under discussion.

I have no idea how old I was when I first read The Tale of Two Bad Mice. I only know it feels as familiar as family photographs. Every detail of it is so familiar that once I must have known it inside out, though I doubt I’ve read it for half a century.

I imagine it would have first been read to me, and then I would have read it myself, and I was an early reader, so maybe at about four years old I learned that mice w
Jonathan
When Tom Thumb and his wife Hunca Munca (what were her parents thinking?) break into Lucinda and Jane's delightfully furnished home, they go on a rampage through the house, destroying the fake food, climbing the chimney, and stealing anything that will fit through their own front door. When the 'single' ladies return from an afternoon's perambulation they can only look on in mute horror at the devastation that awaits them. The mice have the gall to return later and leave a token sixpence to pay ...more
Robin Thomas
Oh no, I've fallen behind in my reading!
This book may be considered cheating.
But I did enjoy it and love the illustrations.
So, now I have one more book to read to meet
my challenge.
B-zee
Sebenarnya lucu juga dua tikus itu kecewa dengan apa yang mereka temukan di rumah boneka. Kemarahan sesaat karena gagal 'makan enak' membuat mereka melakukan hal-hal buruk. Namun, kata penulis, sebenarnya mereka tidak terlalu nakal. Pada akhirnya mereka 'membayar' kekacauan yang mereka buat. Meski saya pribadi lebih suka kalau mereka meminta maaf secara langsung.

Tadinya saya berpikir--karena awalnya menceritakan dua boneka penghuni rumah itu--bahwa boneka itu memiliki sisi yang menarik. Tetapi s
Lydia
Dad finally finished reading the tale of two bad mice to me.
Biena (The Library Mistress)
They aren't bad mice after all. Hahaha

I still hate rodents. >.<
Kirsti
Jazz
This is so morbidly funny that I think it has thrown me into an existential crisis about doll house food. The mice can use the furniture and kitchen utensils, they can wear the clothing, but they can't eat the fake food. The little girl who plays with the dolls uses a policeman doll to confront the mice about their theft, and the mice sort of recognize his authority. It gives me such a whimsical feeling about how far belief can stretch in childhood games.
Jeremy
I've read quite some Beatrix Potter stories by now, but I think this is the best one I've read so far. Most of the stories were quite sweet, perfect to read at Christmas. This one I found to be particularly funny and although you can pretty much imagine what's about to happen (like in most of her stories), it's great to read.

Also, I believe her stories wouldn't be half as good if she hadn't used animals as her characters. And because these tales are written for children, the characters always h
Melle
Jul 25, 2014 Melle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone considering squatting
Recommended to Melle by: Katie
Squatting mice on a rampage through a dollhouse, or, again, WTF, Beatrix? This was cute and weird. Victorians were weird in general, though, so no surprises there. Zelda wanted to eat this book, but I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the mice or the size of the book or Z's terrible habit of chewing on the corners of library books.
Linda
Adorable story about two mice and a dollhouse. Beatrix based their antics in her own dollhouse that is still on display at Hill Top Farm in the Lake District, UK. As a dollhouse owner myself, I can't wait to see it. I certainly hope mice stay out of MY dollhouse!
Susan
I like this story so much. The two mice are really not bad after all. They might have done something bad, but they were very repentant. I loved the story, especially the wonderful named of the mice - Ton Thumb and Hunca Munca. A definite classic!
Becky Frost
Pictures are gorgeous. Story has a sweet premise even if it seems rushed to fit the pictures in some places. Overall story is really cute.
Else
Another favorite! Those naughty mice...and that delightful dollhouse! I think this little book was what inspired me to have my own. Fun!
Kathryn
Anything by Beatrix Potter is a classic, in my opinion, so deserves five stars. Her insistence that her books be published in a size suitable for little hands was a stroke of genius ... I'm sure the size is what caused Little Cherub to pick this off the shelf. Then it was love at first read. She has been pursuing us round the house clutching the book and demanding "Read Two Blind Mice" (a little confusion with the nursery rhyme there!). While the language is complex for little people, it accusto ...more
Windy A. Alicia
Meskipun awalnya dua tikus itu nakal tapi akhirnya mereka baik, mereka tobat dan menjadi baik.
Elaine
Aha! Two bad mice ends up not being too bad after all, one paid for everything he broke the other one cleans the dollhouse so, not bad right?
jacky
This one by Beatrix Potter was so much fun! I expected a boring tale like Squirrel Nutkin or something about a naughty rabbit like Peter Rabbit, but the mice in this were different. These mice are frustrated by the fake food in a dollhouse, so they destroy it and steal the cool mouse size items. But, even though they are naughty, the mice make up for their ways in the end. I particularly liked this book because I had a dollhouse growing up and it was fun thinking of little fuzzy creatures using ...more
Janet
Beautiful illustrations! You could frame every one!
Leslie
Cute story, but I like other Potter stories more.
Eduard
Read as part of The Beatrix Potter Collection: Volume One.
Neville Ridley-smith
My kids (14, 11, 9) & I are reading through the Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter. On to book 5.

The 14 year old is quite surprised at how much she's enjoying these. The setting in this book is a fun idea and it's nice that the bad mice actually come good in the end. The last several pages seem rather abrupt in terms of writing style.

Bonus points because we saw some of the real furniture and food at Beatrix Potter's house 'Hilltop' in the Lake District!

Scores
14 *****
11 ***
9 ****
Boniva
Apr 12, 2008 Boniva rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mouse lovers
Two mice, Tom Thumb and his wife Hunca Munca break into a little girl's doll house. Upon discovering that all the tempting foods are only play foods, they go on a rampage worthy of a drunken rock star.

Kawaii murine rage.

While tearing up the feather bolster on the doll bed, Hunca Munca decides, this is really nice, and they set about stealing what they haven't broken.

All ends well and Tom Thumb even pays the little girl for damages.

Illustrations adorable.
Jess
I remember the day I picked this up. It was before I had started elementary school, so I didn't have much to do, and I spent lots of time in my room. Anyway, I had picked this, hoping to be entertained. I read it, then read it again, because somehow, this book just appealed to me! Shortly after, once I started school, I found this book on a shelf in our classroom, without a cover, and I was elated to find out that it was this story!

A timeless favorite of mine.
Tara
Read this to Kayte (age 4). Two Blind Mice is one she has me read over and over again. She loves anything Beatrix Potter, but when I read these to her, Dallin and Alyssa always listen in. Classic, Timeless. Introduces a four year old to great vocabulary while still keeping her interest. Illustrations are darling. These original editions are the best. I wouldn't buy the ones where the wording has been changed.
Kate
Got a very little copy of this book when I was a very little girl. I think the mice's names were Flopsy and Mopsy or some such thing. I remember being captivated by the thought of two little mice living in a little doll house. I could imagine myself as those little mice, shrinking myself down to a size where I could live my own little doll house and, well, that is why little girls love this little story.
Aubrie
i love this story. i bought the book a few years ago in a little used bookshop in england but never actually read the whole thing. it was left it in a box until winnie became old enough to sit through the whole story. i think its so funny that i'm laughing at it while win doesn't see what's funny. and the ending is lovely, tom thumb and hunca munca are such upstanding citizens.
Annet
So I'm getting to know the Beatrix Potter stories. Quite by accident, I found two booklets on my shelves quite unexpectedly. This is my third one, still cute, but a little less cute than The tale of Samuel Whiskers or the Roly-Poly pudding and The tale of the pie and the patty pan, which I found a bit more sparkling and humorous.
Anyway cute, these Beatrix Potter books...
  • Autumn Story
  • The Owl and the Pussycat
  • Moses the Kitten
  • The Big Wide-Mouthed Frog
  • Winnie-the-Pooh and Some Bees carousel book (Winnie-the-Pooh Carousel Book)
  • Angus and the Ducks
  • Little Miss Naughty
  • Oh, What A Busy Day!
  • Each Peach Pear Plum
  • Town Mouse, Country Mouse
  • The Adventures of Buster Bear (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)
  • The Adventures of Danny Meadow Mouse
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...
The Tale of Peter Rabbit The Complete Tales The Complete Adventures of Peter Rabbit The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle The Tale of Benjamin Bunny