Start by marking “Savages (Nameless Detective, #31)” as Want to Read:
Savages (Nameless Detective, #31)

Savages (Nameless Detective #31)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The police said it was an accident, the dead woman's sister said it was murder... and that she knew who did it. Nameless isn't certain, but the more he learns about Nancy Mathias's life, the more inclined he is to accept the likelihood of murder--especially as the players still alive become more and more distasteful. Combine that with the situation Jake Runyon, one of the ...more
Published July 10th 2007 by Forge Books (first published July 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Savages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Savages

Karl
Here is a list of all the books (in order) Happy Reading.

1971 The Snatch Random House
1983 Casefile St. Martin's Press
1984 Quicksilver St. Martin's Press
1984 Nightshades St. M
Christine Trensen
My son recently discovered Bill Pronzini and has been devouring the books. Truthfully, I have known of him for a long time but have always read his wife's books (Marcia Muller) rather than his! But my son is loving the books so much, I had to see what all the fuss is about, so I chose the earliest one on his shelf and found that I devoured it in two sittings.

What a great writer Pronzini is! There are two main stories here, one surrounding a woman who is convinced that her brother-in-law murdered
Maddy
RATING: 4.5

It's been a long time since Nameless has been a lone-wolf private eye. In the past few years, he's set up his own agency in San Francisco. One of his initial hires, Tamara Corbin, proved herself so adept at running the operation that Bill asked her to be a partner. Ever since, they've experienced great success and even had to hire two more operatives, Jake Runyon and Alex Chavez. At the moment, they are managing the entire case load, as Bill is deeply involved in supporting his wife,
LJ
SAVAGES (PI-Nameless-California-Cont) – VG
Pronzini, Bill – 34th in series
Forge, 2007, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780765309334
First Sentence: On Friday morning, I took Kerry to the U.C. Med Center for her first follow-up appointment with her radiologist and her oncologist.
*** Bill (aka Nameless) has been hired by Celeste Ogden, a wealthy, proper San Franciscan, to investigate her sister’s death. Although ruled as accidental, Celeste is certain her sister’s husband was responsible for her death. Jake R
Allison
I listened to the audio version of this book for my mystery book group discussion. I had heard of Bill Pronzini before because he has been writing mysteries for many years,but I have never read or listened to one of his books. He is also married to author Marcia Muller, whose writing I enjoy. Savages, one of the more recent in his Nameless series, is a good detective story, but it wasn't exactly what I expected. Nameless isn't nameless anymore. His name is Bill and he isn't the harboiled detecti ...more
Bernadette
2015-01-06: I like the way that Pronzini is balancing multiple characters and their story lines as opposed to earlier having just the perspective of nameless. That said, the plots here are serviceable if not memorable.
Erna
A good story. The Nameless Detective stores that include Jake Runyan always have at least two mysteries to solve. In this book I particularly like the part of the story with Jake Runyan
Thomas Bruso
A melancholy departure for Nameless and the reader. Cancer evades Nameless's wife's life. Another great mystery.
Eliana
Apr 06, 2014 Eliana added it
Old style detective series with excellent writing, plots and characters throughout
Sherry
Jul 24, 2011 Sherry added it
I loved this book! I read it so fast, I couldn't put it down. The characters are believable and there is a lot of action. I love the stories Bill Pronzini tells. For a long time I have purchased books with his name on them just because his name is on them. Haven't been disappointed yet. I think he is one of the best writers out there. Perfectly honed stories. You will want to read everything he writes. I do.
Mike French
If you like detective mysteries,Bill Pronzini is a go to author! Very enjoyable read!
Mark
Wow!!!...this is my 1st "Nameless"...LOVED IT!!!...a throwback to Hammett, Stout and Chandler...richly drawn characters of which we only know the names of the partners and others and enough twists to boggle...in this one we have 2 investigations, one involving arson & murder, outside of SF and the other looking into a death of of the sister of a woman of substance...FUN-FUN-FUN!!!
Chris
The pages just keep turning with Nameless investigating an accident involving a cold and ambitious computer CEO's wife. The ending of this inquiry just blows you away. Meanwhile Jake goes to Red Bluff just to serve a subpoena and has a layover in the hospital and deals with a control freak local deputy and an arsonist. Interesting as to who the savages are in this one.
Angela
I liked this mystery, although it is peppered with many details of the character's lives and deals with two separate cases in just 300 pages.

Both cases are well investigated and are intriguing. I don't want to give too much away, yet I did like how the book ended. For me, the ending fit.

This was my first nameless detective novel. I will definitely read more of them.
Kgwhitehurst
Fast, enjoyable read. High quality mind candy. There's an A story and B story; I preferred the B story w/Jake Runyon (more application of shoe leather) than the A story w/Nameless (straight-forward but frustrating). In the B story, there's a walking cliche that gets its comeuppance in a really nasty way. I actually felt sorry that character in the end.
Linda
Apr 22, 2008 Linda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: weekend readers
Yes, I enjoying blowing bubble gum, I am disappointed when the flavor runs out. The same flavor holds true with the "Nameless Detective;" you are disappointed that the book ends! I tried to guess which character the arsonist in this mystery was. I was way off the mark set by this author. I would read another of his books.
Nina
This was a fun detective novel- suggestion of Nancy Pearl. The characters were believable and interesting to get to know. There was a parallel story here of two detectives working up 2 different cases- one of a woman whose sister was thought to be murdered. Definitely going to read more novels by this author as well.
G.
Pretty standard narrative with dual plotlines. I was expecting a little more from this author who has surprised me in the past. Still good, though.
Kathy
Really 2.5. Fair story, 2 dimensional characters, some creative plot twists, some annoying stereotypes. The reader has a great voice!
Al Stoess
Another good yarn. Surprising ending that I didn't figure out.
Doyle Renolds
Excellent as usual. Easy to see why Bill has won two Edgars.
carol
Good book as usual from Pronzini
Joe
Simple, mindless crap! Zero Stars!
Susan
Jan 27, 2013 Susan added it
Good, better than betrayers.
Shanslip
Shanslip marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
  • The Dark Door
  • The Demon Awakens (2 of 3) (The DemonWars Saga #1)
  • The Blackpool Highflyer (Jim Stringer, #2)
  • Powers: Bureau, Vol. 1: Undercover
  • Dynamite Road (Weiss & Bishop, #1)
  • Ghost Radio
  • The Doomsday Brunette
  • The Railway Viaduct
  • Hail To The Chief (87th Precinct, #28)
  • Killing Castro (Hard Case Crime, #51)
  • Global Weirdness: Severe Storms, Deadly Heat Waves, Relentless Drought, Rising Seas and the Weather of the Future
  • The Dangerous Hour (Sharon McCone, #23)
  • The Ultimate David Sedaris Audio Collection
Edgar Awards Best Novel nominee (1998) for A Wasteland of Strangers
Shamus Awards Best Novel nominee (1997) for Sentinels
Shamus Awards "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) 1987
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1982) for Hoodwink

Married to author Marcia Muller.

Pseudonyms:
Robert Hart Davis (collab
More about Bill Pronzini...

Nameless Detective (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • The Snatch (Nameless Detective, #1)
  • The Vanished (Nameless Detective, #2)
  • Undercurrent (Nameless Detective, #3)
  • Blowback (Nameless Detective, #4)
  • Twospot (Nameless Detective, #5; Lt. Hastings, #9)
  • Labyrinth (Nameless Detective, #6)
  • Hoodwink (Nameless Detective, #7)
  • Scattershot (Nameless Detective, #8)
  • Dragonfire (Nameless Detective, #9)
  • Bindlestiff (Nameless Detective, #10)
The Hidden The Snatch (Nameless Detective, #1) Shackles (Nameless Detective, #16) Camouflage (Nameless Detective, #35) The Other Side of Silence