Start by marking “Savages (Nameless Detective, #31)” as Want to Read:
Savages (Nameless Detective, #31)

Savages (Nameless Detective #31)

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  190 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
The police said it was an accident, the dead woman's sister said it was murder... and that she knew who did it. Nameless isn't certain, but the more he learns about Nancy Mathias's life, the more inclined he is to accept the likelihood of murder--especially as the players still alive become more and more distasteful. Combine that with the situation Jake Runyon, one of the ...more
Published July 10th 2007 by Forge Books (first published July 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Savages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Savages

Karl
Sep 12, 2013 Karl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here is a list of all the books (in order) Happy Reading.

1971 The Snatch Random House
1984 Quicksilver St. Martin's Press
1984 Nightshades St. M
Christine Trensen
Apr 15, 2012 Christine Trensen rated it really liked it
My son recently discovered Bill Pronzini and has been devouring the books. Truthfully, I have known of him for a long time but have always read his wife's books (Marcia Muller) rather than his! But my son is loving the books so much, I had to see what all the fuss is about, so I chose the earliest one on his shelf and found that I devoured it in two sittings.

What a great writer Pronzini is! There are two main stories here, one surrounding a woman who is convinced that her brother-in-law murdered
Maddy
May 20, 2010 Maddy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2007-reads
RATING: 4.5

It's been a long time since Nameless has been a lone-wolf private eye. In the past few years, he's set up his own agency in San Francisco. One of his initial hires, Tamara Corbin, proved herself so adept at running the operation that Bill asked her to be a partner. Ever since, they've experienced great success and even had to hire two more operatives, Jake Runyon and Alex Chavez. At the moment, they are managing the entire case load, as Bill is deeply involved in supporting his wife,
LJ
SAVAGES (PI-Nameless-California-Cont) – VG
Pronzini, Bill – 34th in series
Forge, 2007, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780765309334
First Sentence: On Friday morning, I took Kerry to the U.C. Med Center for her first follow-up appointment with her radiologist and her oncologist.
*** Bill (aka Nameless) has been hired by Celeste Ogden, a wealthy, proper San Franciscan, to investigate her sister’s death. Although ruled as accidental, Celeste is certain her sister’s husband was responsible for her death. Jake R
Ed
Mar 28, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#31 in the Nameless Detective series.

Nameless Detective is investigating the husband of a woman who died of a fall at the behest of the woman's imperious sister. Jake Runyon travels to deliver a subpoena to Jerry Belsize, discovers a body, and is hit over the head. The police suspect Belsize of the attack and a series of arsons; Jake hangs around to deliver the subpoena. Kerry's cancer is in remission.
Allison
Jan 12, 2011 Allison rated it liked it
I listened to the audio version of this book for my mystery book group discussion. I had heard of Bill Pronzini before because he has been writing mysteries for many years,but I have never read or listened to one of his books. He is also married to author Marcia Muller, whose writing I enjoy. Savages, one of the more recent in his Nameless series, is a good detective story, but it wasn't exactly what I expected. Nameless isn't nameless anymore. His name is Bill and he isn't the harboiled detecti ...more
Chantel
6 sound discs (7 hrs., 13 min.) Narrator, Nick Sullivan. Investigating the death of a woman that has been ruled accidental by the police but that her sister insists was a murder by a known perpetrator, a reluctant Nameless begins to suspect that the victim's sister is telling the truth when he learns unsettling facts about her life.
Mom
Dec 11, 2015 Mom rated it really liked it
Erna
Jan 07, 2015 Erna rated it really liked it
A good story. The Nameless Detective stores that include Jake Runyan always have at least two mysteries to solve. In this book I particularly like the part of the story with Jake Runyan
Thomas Bruso
Apr 16, 2014 Thomas Bruso rated it it was amazing
A melancholy departure for Nameless and the reader. Cancer evades Nameless's wife's life. Another great mystery.
Eliana
Apr 06, 2014 Eliana added it
Old style detective series with excellent writing, plots and characters throughout
Nancy
Mar 17, 2016 Nancy rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers, reviewed
The Nameless Detective & company work on solving two crimes. Always a good, fast read.
Richard
Sep 27, 2015 Richard rated it really liked it
Shelves: pronzini
Good two for one mystery novel
Eileen McCann
Jan 23, 2016 Eileen McCann rated it really liked it
Shelves: good
Good
Sherry
Jul 24, 2011 Sherry added it
I loved this book! I read it so fast, I couldn't put it down. The characters are believable and there is a lot of action. I love the stories Bill Pronzini tells. For a long time I have purchased books with his name on them just because his name is on them. Haven't been disappointed yet. I think he is one of the best writers out there. Perfectly honed stories. You will want to read everything he writes. I do.
Mike French
Aug 17, 2014 Mike French rated it really liked it
If you like detective mysteries,Bill Pronzini is a go to author! Very enjoyable read!
Mark
Sep 14, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
Wow!!!...this is my 1st "Nameless"...LOVED IT!!!...a throwback to Hammett, Stout and Chandler...richly drawn characters of which we only know the names of the partners and others and enough twists to boggle...in this one we have 2 investigations, one involving arson & murder, outside of SF and the other looking into a death of of the sister of a woman of substance...FUN-FUN-FUN!!!
Chris
Jan 18, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
The pages just keep turning with Nameless investigating an accident involving a cold and ambitious computer CEO's wife. The ending of this inquiry just blows you away. Meanwhile Jake goes to Red Bluff just to serve a subpoena and has a layover in the hospital and deals with a control freak local deputy and an arsonist. Interesting as to who the savages are in this one.
Angela
Aug 29, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it
I liked this mystery, although it is peppered with many details of the character's lives and deals with two separate cases in just 300 pages.

Both cases are well investigated and are intriguing. I don't want to give too much away, yet I did like how the book ended. For me, the ending fit.

This was my first nameless detective novel. I will definitely read more of them.
Kgwhitehurst
Fast, enjoyable read. High quality mind candy. There's an A story and B story; I preferred the B story w/Jake Runyon (more application of shoe leather) than the A story w/Nameless (straight-forward but frustrating). In the B story, there's a walking cliche that gets its comeuppance in a really nasty way. I actually felt sorry that character in the end.
Linda
Apr 22, 2008 Linda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: weekend readers
Yes, I enjoying blowing bubble gum, I am disappointed when the flavor runs out. The same flavor holds true with the "Nameless Detective;" you are disappointed that the book ends! I tried to guess which character the arsonist in this mystery was. I was way off the mark set by this author. I would read another of his books.
Nina
Dec 31, 2012 Nina rated it really liked it
This was a fun detective novel- suggestion of Nancy Pearl. The characters were believable and interesting to get to know. There was a parallel story here of two detectives working up 2 different cases- one of a woman whose sister was thought to be murdered. Definitely going to read more novels by this author as well.
Bernadette
2015-01-06: I like the way that Pronzini is balancing multiple characters and their story lines as opposed to earlier having just the perspective of nameless. That said, the plots here are serviceable if not memorable.
Robin
Jul 05, 2015 Robin rated it really liked it
Nameless has a human face. That's enough.
G.
Dec 23, 2010 G. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty standard narrative with dual plotlines. I was expecting a little more from this author who has surprised me in the past. Still good, though.
Kathy
Dec 14, 2012 Kathy rated it it was ok
Shelves: listened
Really 2.5. Fair story, 2 dimensional characters, some creative plot twists, some annoying stereotypes. The reader has a great voice!
Al Stoess
Aug 25, 2011 Al Stoess rated it liked it
Another good yarn. Surprising ending that I didn't figure out.
Doyle Renolds
Excellent as usual. Easy to see why Bill has won two Edgars.
carol
Oct 14, 2008 carol rated it liked it
Good book as usual from Pronzini
Joe
Jul 23, 2011 Joe rated it did not like it
Simple, mindless crap! Zero Stars!
  • Dynamite Road (Weiss & Bishop, #1)
  • The Dark Door (Constance and Charlie Series, #2)
  • The Dangerous Hour
  • After the First Death
  • The Fade Out, Vol. 2: Act Two
  • Hidden Moon (Inspector O, #2)
  • The Shores of Space
  • Just Say Nu: Yiddish for Every Occasion (When English Just Won't Do)
  • Batman: Eternal, Vol. 3
  • Rebels, Book 1: The Conquered (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #24)
  • Calibre (Inspector Brant, #6)
  • The Beginning and the End
  • The Christmas Spirit: Memories of Family, Friends, and Faith
  • Diplomatic Implausibility (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #61)
  • The Badlands, #2 of 2 (Star Trek)
  • Shepherds Abiding in Dry Creek (Dry Creek Series #11) (Love Inspired #421)
  • All Our Tomorrows
  • Hard Man
Mystery Writers of America Awards "Grand Master" 2008
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1999) for Boobytrap
Edgar Awards Best Novel nominee (1998) for A Wasteland of Strangers
Shamus Awards Best Novel nominee (1997) for Sentinels
Shamus Awards "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) 1987
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1982) for Hoodwink

Married to author Marcia Muller.

Pseudonyms:
Robert Hart Davis (collab
More about Bill Pronzini...

Nameless Detective (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • The Snatch (Nameless Detective, #1)
  • The Vanished (Nameless Detective, #2)
  • Undercurrent (Nameless Detective, #3)
  • Blowback (Nameless Detective, #4)
  • Twospot (Nameless Detective, #5; Lt. Hastings, #9)
  • Labyrinth (Nameless Detective, #6)
  • Hoodwink (Nameless Detective, #7)
  • Scattershot (Nameless Detective, #8)
  • Dragonfire (Nameless Detective, #9)
  • Bindlestiff (Nameless Detective, #10)