Start by marking “Dirty Joe, the Pirate: A True Story” as Want to Read:
Dirty Joe, the Pirate: A True Story

Dirty Joe, the Pirate: A True Story

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  56 reviews
The dreaded Dirty Joe and his piratical crew sail in search of the smelliest treasure ever: dirty socks! The rogues cheerfully pillage their way across the seven seas, until the day they run across another band of pirates-one led by the notorious Stinky Annie. Has Dirty Joe finally met his match?

From Grammy Award ;winning storyteller Bill Harley and bestselling illustrator
Published May 13th 2008 by HarperCollins (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dirty Joe, the Pirate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dirty Joe, the Pirate

Jen
People may think I'm taking this too seriously, or I'm too sensitive, and I'm okay with that. This IS a fun story. But I find the underwear bounty disturbing. Forcing someone else to give you their socks is one thing. Forcing someone to give you their underwear is a violation, and I have no desire to teach my children that it is appropriate, or that they have to go along with such a request. I also found the lesson about how mean big sisters are to be disturbing, since I was reading the book to ...more
Edward Creter
This book reminds me (again) that women do rule, and it can still be fun for both genders to share one world. Dirty Joe is a pirate who lives for the adventure of pilfering dirty socks and underwear for his decidedly all-male crew. This, of course, does not stop his sister and her Navy of bloomer-robbing baronesses from competing for his stash! The battle of the sexes takes on new depths (so to speak) and WE don't say Hanes until THEY say we say Hanes! That or someone should walk the plank of fe ...more
Michelle McBeth
First I must start by saying that I love pirate books and I love silly books. This book is both. It is about a pirate who steals stinky socks from other ships. But one day he comes upon Stinky Annie who is a female pirate with an all female crew. She loves to steal stinky underwear. The two battle it out. I won't give the ending away.

I was okay with this book at first. I was hoping it would be about reforming Dirty Joe the Pirate because his ship stank so badly of dirty socks. But instead a new,
Shelli
I swear I am not a prude, but really?? When was it deemed o.k. in children’s stories to steal underpants from others as they wear them? In real life isn’t that considered sexual assault?? And would this book have as many stars and accepting reviews if it were the boy pirates stealing underpants off the girl pirates?? Personally I didn’t like it and I would not recommend this book for children.
Janel
I can understand the poor reviews opinions of this book. maybe my husband and I are bad parents. or, maybe we understand that children are innocent and don't see things the way we as adults do. so when there is plundering going on in this PIRATE book, who cares what each crew finds as booty. this is a hilarious book! my husband died laughing for an entire week reading this every night to our son. our son is not running around demanding kids on the play ground to Derobe... if you have a sense of ...more
Rachel Yingling
This was a really fun book to read. All about a little boy who raids other ships to get their socks, that's the bounty they set out to steal from others. Then they come across a ship with a female captain who is well known for always getting the bounty that she wants, which is others underwear. The ending was an unexpected twist when it turns out that the boy captain and the girl captain are brother and sister. Since she is the older sister she tells her little brother to give her his underwear ...more
Ms Threlkeld
A very silly story about a sock-loving pirate that will have kids giggling with glee. Fun, detailed illustrations and rhyming text will have readers return to this book again and again.
B. Mantler
A fun and entertaining read to share with children, or to read on your own. And a lesson any younger siblings can understand and agree with.
george
I loved this! Ultra-cute "true" stroy of Dirty Joe the Pirate who sails the seas in search of dirty socks. Dirty Joe is truly a terror everywhere he goes until he suddenly comes up against Stinky Annie and her band of one hundred women who sail in search of...underwear. Dirty Joe's crew is a bit afraid because as everyone knows, "you can't be a pirate without underwear." Will Stinky Annie make out with the boys' underwear? Or will Stinky Joe prevail with the girls' socks?

So so so so cute!! Rhymi
Alice
such a cute pirate story. great for discussing brother/sister relationships.
Melanie
Dirty Joe the pirate sails the high seas in search of ships to plunder...for their socks! But he meets his match when he encounters Stinky Annie. Her ship of all girl pirates lovs to plunder too. But they plunder for...underwear!

When the two meet it's a battle for the ages. Stinky Annie's crew fights bare-footed. When Stinky Annie and Dirty Joe meet, they realize they look familiar to each other. They finally realize that they are brother and sister! That doesn't make a darn bit of difference to
Kimberly
Cute rhyming story with a twist at the end.
Mary
This is the story of Dirty Joe the pirate who sails the seven seas in search of socks! He and his dastardly crew take socks from everyone and hang them up on their ship. One day, they run across Pirate Annie who takes everyone’s underwear! There is a mighty battle, and a secret is revealed.
This is a fun and silly romp in the realm of pirates and siblings, all done in poetry and rhyme so it is even more enjoyable. It is a bit longer, but it is also singsongy, so it would be a fit for young kids
Sonya Huser
Dirty Joe and his pirate crew plunder dirty socks. Annie and her crew are after underwear. When the two ships meet, there is a happy reunion between the two captains who realize they are long-lost brother and sister. But no matter to Annie, who expects her brother and his crew to hand over their undies all the same. Because big sisters are bossy and cruel and that's just how it is.
Jennie
Jul 02, 2009 Jennie added it
Recommends it for: K-2
Recommended to Jennie by: Marianne Costello
A rhyming pirates tale of a ship filled with boy pirates who steal socks meeting up with a ship of female pirates who steal underwear. A battle ensues until the two captains realize they are siblings. The moral of the story, “If you’ve got an older sister, then I feel bad for you, ‘Cause just as long as she’s alive, she’ll tell you what to do.”
The Library Lady
I love Bill Harley. He is one of the best kids storytellers out there--and if you've never heard him tell, go out and find one of his recordings right NOW!
Kids will love this story of Dirty Joe, the pirate who collects dirty socks until he is bested by Sticky Annie, who collects underwear. Could they by chance be long lost relatives? Hmm...
Rosa
Dirty Joe sails the seas with his fellow pirates on the look out for boats so he can steal the crews socks. All is going along well until he runs into Annie a pirate that steals undergarments. There is a suprise twist that's kind of funny. The illustrations were okay, and again it feels too long for a library story time.
Christie
I thought it was a cute story but I don't know about reading it to kids. It is about a pirate that steals socks. At one part of the story it says "the pirates cursed and muttered. Then the moral at the end says older sisters will always tell you what to do. i think that it is not the best story for little kids.
Molly
Such a fun read! Boy pirates who scour the seas for stinky socks and girl pirates who plunder underpants, what could be better?

For some reason, my 4 year old wouldn't even open the cover...he wouldn't let me read it to him, even if it was a bonus 3rd bedtime story. Oh well, his loss!
Alice
Sibling rivalry, pirates, dirty socks, dirty underwear and a strange story makes a book kids will probably love. The moral of the stories is "If you've got an older sister, then I feel bad for you, 'Cause just as long as she's alive, she'll tell you what to do"
Theo kids
De-light-ful! A clever tale about boys and girls, and how the discussion of, (gasp!) smelly socks and, (eek!), dirty underwear universally disgusts and delights young children. They couldn't stop laughing and I found myself chucking along too. A fun bedtime read!
Tricia
Steve says: Dirty Joe goes after socks rather than booty. He comes across another pirate ship full of girls that takes boys boxer shorts. It ends up being a long lost family member. Funny story. Girls giggled up a storm, sayeth he.
Joelle
This was a very fun read aloud book. It made us all laugh out loud several times - especially because one of the main characters is named Stinky Annie. We have our very own stinky Annie in our house! The twist at the end is cute, too.
Anne Marie
Fun book for elementary school kids who love pirates! Underwear, pirates, and humor - perfect! The book rhymes, which helps with the pacing and it doesn't hurt that it's written by Bill Harley, a singer and songwriter himself.
Marissa Morrison
The story centers on conflict between two pirates--one who collects victims' socks, and the other who collects their underpants. The pirates' weapons of battle include toilet plungers and potato mashers. 100% fun.
Sheri
This book was a read for the 4-8 year old boy especially with the use of dirty socks and underwear. Liked the poetry and the rhyming test. Long on word count and found it stumbling with the rhyme in places.
Jessica Bingham
Great story to use with older kids (kids who think "underwear" is funny) for storytime! I do try to use a "pirate voice" while telling this story...I normally end up not being able to speak at all.
Sharper1
I so wish my storytime kids were old enough for this one. It's written all in cadence, which makes it a blast to read. It's hilarious, too, with an interesting character twist at the end. LOVE IT!
Sue
Absolutely the most fun to read aloud to school-aged kids. What's not to love?! A story about pirates and underwear! Great rhyming text leads itself to dramatic voices when read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Pirate Cruncher
  • The Three Little Gators
  • Sleep, Big Bear, Sleep!
  • I Saw an Ant on the Railroad Track
  • A Pirate's Guide to First Grade
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Sylvie
  • Ella Sarah Gets Dressed
  • Roger, the Jolly Pirate
  • Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance
  • The Night Pirates
A two-time Grammy award-winning artist and recipient of a Lifetime Achievement Award from the RI Council for the Humanities, Bill uses song and story to paint a vibrant and hilarious picture of growing up, schooling and family life. His work spans the generation gap, reminds us of our common humanity and challenges us to be our very best selves. A prolific author and recording artist, Bill tours n ...more
More about Bill Harley...
Charlie Bumpers vs. the Teacher of the Year Night of the Spadefoot Toads Lost and Found The Amazing Flight of Darius Frobisher Charlie Bumpers vs. the Squeaking Skull