Start by marking “Eloise en Paris” as Want to Read:
Eloise en Paris

Eloise en Paris (Eloise)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  1,364 ratings  ·  60 reviews
America's favorite enfant terrible turns the City of Lights upside down in this second book in the Eloise series, first published to great acclaim in 1957 -- available again in Spanish after being out of print for 35 years!
Published January 22nd 2002 by Plaza y Janes (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Eloise en Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eloise en Paris

Punctuation is an adult thing. This is evident in the breathless, tumbling dice style of storytelling that belongs to children. I remember proudly finishing my first short story ever in the first grade: it had plot, dialogue and a twist! (Yes, I was quite the Margot Tenenbaum--minus the eyeliner and creepy brotherly love.) I even folded the pages and stapled it to mimic grownupped-ness. My teacher ruthlessly crushed my aspirations by pointing out that it was just one loooooooooong run on sentenc ...more
Jan 05, 2009 Nikoya rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 4-6 years old
I must confessed that I was introduced to Eloise from the fantastic cartoon series on Stars. So, I went to the library and picked up this book hoping that it would be just as fun; and I was not disappointed. My daughter and I just finished reading this book, which took a few nights to do, and I LOVED IT. The artwork is very fun and unique; and I like the simple splashes of color that the artist used. Furthermore, the writing is so much fun to read that I definitely got into the French Accents wh ...more
Ughhh, whoever thought Eloise without Kay Thompson would work? Yes I love Knight's illustrations -- without those, I'd give this zero stars.

Whoever writes these does this very bad parody of the original Eloise. They are way too long, far too ridiculous, and just not Eloisey.

Well, I don't like the Christmas one, either, which I think Thompson did write. The Christmas one rhymes, good god. I guess these sequels are a good argument to quit while you're ahead.

Oh, and goodreads lists Thompson as t
Until today, I was deprived of Eloise, but now I see what I have been missing. Eloise is a precocious, well-traveled 6-year-old who reminds me SO much of my oldest daughter because she is into everything, loves big words, and loves to act MUCH older and wiser. And, oh my Lord, (to borrow a phrase from Eloise), I do mean everything. Has to been seen to be believed. I have a feeling there is a lot of Eloise's little personality that is soon to be played out at my house. A book to enjoy, and be car ...more
Eloise is fun in a breathless, irrepressible way, a definite ancestor of Junie B. Jones. This is a fun little-rich-girl's look at Paris, but I wish it didn't say "froid is right; chaud is left." Just like with Junie B, incorrect grammar makes me cringe!
Eloise is still a pill in this book, but I loved it because I want to go to Paris, and I LOVE how she'll throw in French words with English. It was actually much cuter than the original book, and I think this one will definitely get passed along to the niece!
Here's the thing of it:

Here is what Eloise

does in Paris:

Feb 02, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've read several books featuring the rascally Eloise. Our girls like them and I was excited to read about her visit to Paris. I love France, and have been to Paris, so it was a little bit of nostalgia to me (the tourist sites, not the lavish lifestyle.)

We enjoy reading the books about her, even though I'm so tempted to say that she is just a spoiled, neglected-by-her-parents, rich brat. I didn't say that aloud, did I? I suppose this is one way to describe how "the other half live" (or is it m
L.  (I've Stopped Counting)
Eloise and her entourage travel to Paris. Remember this was written back in the day when you could still smoke on board an airplane and it took so long to get there, there were sleeping berths for the passengers.

Gosh, where did all those champagne corks come from, Eloise? (Gives side eye to Nanny.)
Here's the thing of it: Paris has just been discovered by Eloise the little girl from the Plaza...
Here is what Eloise does in Paris: everything.
The effect is rawther extraordinaire. If you come to Paris with Eloise you will always be glad you did.
Cute story about a six-year-old girl who speaks more French than you do, but not very well. Her adventures in Paris, visiting the Louvre and other places.
Jill Porter
I never knew about the additional books until I was an adult. I was thrilled. Kay Thompson may have been a difficault woman but her books were pure joy.
Eloise is totally spoiled. This book may have been the inspiration for the Fancy Nancy books...only Fancy Nancy doesn't get to live in a hotel in New York (calling Room Service all the time)and flit off to Paris with her Nanny for touring and shopping sprees. Also, it was so LONG! Now, having said all of that...this was a very cute book and there is a reason that it is a classic. It has cute dialogue. It also is peppered with french words (which I kinda wish had pronunciations) but liked. Genevi ...more
Cute book, Paris is always beautiful. I agree with Eloise, "If there is a lot of rain and wet simply go to the Louvre"
I like Eloise, but I find all the successive books to get a bit tedious. too much of a muchness, I guess.
I had fun reading this book. it's addictive.

I love the illustrations!!
I'm not sure I'm going to read any more Eloise. I liked Eloise and Eloise Takes A Bawth well enough although I found her quite annoying but this book just didn't charm me enough to get me past the annoyingness of the book—between Eloise and the writing style. I think I like her better in the Plaza.
Aug 13, 2010 Judy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids and adults both
The second Eloise book was the #6 bestseller in 1957. I found it even more charming and funny than the first, perhaps because I know Paris better than Manhattan.

It is clear that Nanny had more fun in Paris and though Mother sends cables, we still do not meet her. You find out what it is like to fly in an airplane in 1957 with 37 pieces of luggage! Imagine that in today's world.

This was my first foray into the 1957 reading list and gave me hope that the year might not be all that boring.
the illustrations seems to pop out from the book... very lively and imaginative.

eloise really living it in paris!... and the effect is rawther extraordinaire!

the girl who lives in the plaza, new york goes to paris in this dazzling and interesting book. with her skinny leg, round belly, black and white with pink ribbon on her hair.. she set out her journey to paris with style. went to champs-elysees, eiffel, opera, louvre, and dressed by dior.....tres chic!
Similar to the other Eloise Books, this one was equally Unreadable. I cannot believe anyone would allow their children to read this blatant nonsense. The main character is a spoiled rotten little brat and anyone who believes this is a positive message or role model to show as an example for their children is a complete fool. Bad messages! Bad Example for any child! This joke of a show and its ridiculous books are banned from my household.
Tasneem  Zafer
The cute, Hilariously clumsy Eloise who lives in new York gets a letter from her mother saying she has to go to Paris France France with her nanny. She does absolutely everything and speaks to almost everybody she sees in a very polite way in English and French..
What a craaazy life she has.

Really enjoyed both the text and the drawings even though the book is a bit long and takes time to finish it up.
I can't believe I've gone this many years without reading an Eloise book! I was laughing so hard I had tears streaming down my face. While it's totally ridiculous to think that one little girl could cause so much trouble, I couldn't help but love this troublemaker of international proportion. Kay Thompson manages to capture what it would be like if our every childish whim were granted. Delightful.
I enjoyed this one a lot - the humor and run-on story was like the first and the illustrations were so good so good so good. My daughter liked parts of it too, a lot. Neither one of us knows much about Paris or French though so it was hard to read and over her (and my) heads in some sections. Still - worth it. And if I ever do go to Paris and learn some French I am taking this book with me.
This is my least favorite Eloise because the Asian chauffeur character veers dangerously into Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's territory. Fun fact: if you look closely, the French designers who fit Eloise for a new frock actually are Christian Dior and Yves Saint Laurent, and the design they're fitting her for was specially created by Saint Laurent for the book.
The kids love this book, and they love the original Eloise. I mean, they really love this book. I hate this book, and I hate the original Eloise. I mean, I really hate this book. It's long, it drives me crazy, it's hard to read, it's obnoxious. But, they love it and I keep reading it. They'd give it 5 stars. I will compromise and give it 3.
I would have to say this was not a good book for me. There was a lot of reading and it was a lot about there trip to Paris. In the began I didn't mind it, but I felt that this book went into detail on something's way to much. I did like the French words thrown in to the story that kids can learn from. I wouldn't want to read this to my class.
Catherine Woodman
The classic books about a young girl who lives at the Paris Plaza Hotel (in this book) and gets into a myriad of trouble there--as a kid I thought she was the bees knees, but as a parent I think she needed time out--tho' it does remind you that being a little naughty can be a good thing on occasion
Leigh Moore
And this is another of our all-time favorite picture books. It helps if you speak French, but that is not a requirement for the love. Beaucoup de these, beaucoup de those. . For a year, I had to read this to my youngest every night. Pas de quoi d'accord and zut! And ooo, we just LOVE room service! ;o) <3
Emily Huffman
I found Eloise to be a rawther precocious brat. But something about the book! This was my first experience with Eloise, and I had no idea what I was getting into. No punctuation, no grammar to speak of, invented words and creative spelling all over the place...not to mention the incredible illustrations!
Jessica Bennett
This is a cute book that shows children examples of writing craft. There is no punctuation in the sentences so this would be a brand new look at writing! Also, some pages are written as lyrics. I would definitely read this book for the children so that they could look at the writing.
  • Madeline's Christmas
  • Medusa Jones
  • The Goat in the Rug
  • Picasso and the Girl with a Ponytail
  • Spinky Sulks
  • Voyage to the Bunny Planet (Voyage to the Bunny Planet, #1-3 Plus Intro)
  • The Tale of the Flopsy Bunnies
  • Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch
  • When Lightning Comes in a Jar
  • Miss Twiggley's Tree
Kay Thompson (1909–1998) was an American author, composer, musician, actress and singer. She is best remembered as the creator of the Eloise children's books.
More about Kay Thompson...

Eloise (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Eloise