Start by marking “Underwear!” as Want to Read:

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  207 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Bismark the Buffalo is grumpy and unlovable until his friends teach him how to laugh and show him that wearing colorful underwear can be great fun.

Book Details: Format: Paperback Publication Date: 1/1/1988 Pages: 24 Reading Level: Age 3 and Up
Published January 1st 1988 by Albert Whitman & Company

To ask other readers questions about Underwear!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Underwear!

Madeline Huhta
The Underwear book is a silly book. A book that kids enjoy no matter what. In this book Zachary the Zebra loves underwear along with his friend Orfo the Orangutan. They go to an underwear fair and they express their love for underwear throughout the book and then their friend Bismark the Buffalo dislikes underwear very much and doesn’t want anything to do with it. Soon his life goes very lonely and all the bugs go away from him and soon the birds and he is all alone and then his friends try to m ...more
Dean Anderson
Aug 03, 2012 Dean Anderson rated it it was amazing
There was a time that I couldn't read this to my kids without laughing. Bonus stars for much joy.
Britt Kitko
Summary: Zachary Zebra and Orfo the Orangutan love all kinds of underwear. They can't help but want Bismark the Buffalo join in on the fun by liking underwear, too. When they realized how lonely the grumpy buffalo was, they came up with a plan to trick him into thinking they decided to believe that he was really meant to be miserable. He caves in and everyone loves underwear.

Audience:

Illustrations By Lynn Munsinger
Grade Levels: K-2
DRA/Lexile Measure/GLE: 420L/2.7
Reviewed By Aaron Carter

This book, which easily qualifies both as a humorous selection and a fantasy, is about Zachary the zebra, Orfo the orangutan and Igor the egret, who all love wearing underwear, and even go to the "World's Greatest Grassland Underwear Fair," however, their friend, Bismark the buffalo, is less than entertained at wearing the undergarment. Finally, through humor, th
Stephanie
Possibly one of my most favorite books from when I was a kid -- my sisters and I loved having this book read to us (poor Mom and Dad... it was probably so hard not to laugh while doing so!), and to this day we still bring it up and mention how EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS! It's goofy, it's fun, it's a regular hoot.
Anthony Pate
This book is definitely not something you would read as part of a lesson. If you could somehow work it into a lesson, then I would be rather impressed. It is still a good book to read during your classes free time.
Reggie Carlisle
Feb 03, 2015 Reggie Carlisle rated it liked it
There are some great nuggets of wisdom hidden in this children's book.
My favorite: "It is a tragedy," said Zachary, "to be clever but not happy."

Read it with your kids and you'll get a laugh out of it.
Melanie
Zachary the zebra and Orfo the orangutan love underwear more than any other type of clothing. They love it so much that they go to the Grassland Underwear Fair every year and stock up on all the latest styles.

Their friend Bismark the buffalo does not wear underwear. Bismark is a grumpy buffalo and eventually finds himself all alone. Even the bugs on his back leave to find a happier buffalo. His friends decide to intervene and try to get Bismark to laugh. They challenge him to say the word "under
PacaLipstick Gramma
Jan 14, 2014 PacaLipstick Gramma rated it really liked it
What a cute book!

For boys and girls alike, this is a silly and comical affirmation that we all love to have fun underwear! Even tho we wear underwear under, that it's ok to wear underwear as outerwear, or several pairs of underwear!

My grandson and I both giggled as I read this whimsical tale of three animal friends who love their ever changing underwear!
Hilrie
Apr 11, 2014 Hilrie rated it it was amazing
I read this story to a class of first graders. They adored it. This book was enjoyable from start to finish.
Tracy Hora
Jul 31, 2014 Tracy Hora rated it liked it
Fun underwear book with an obvious hook. You know the kids will giggle. Good for POV too.
Meredith Links
May 04, 2015 Meredith Links rated it it was amazing
This is still one of my favorite children's picture books. I had to read this to a child for my children's literature class.
J-Lynn
Jun 26, 2010 J-Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Zebra and Orangutan LOVE underwear! They wear it on their head, on their arms, on their feet. They try to convince the buffalo that he should wear underwear too.

The pictures show the animals dancing and having tons of fun with their underwear. But, I am bothered that the illustrator draws an American buffalo--a bison, not an African buffalo like the setting would suggest.
Kristin Hamley
Jul 13, 2012 Kristin Hamley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Adding a little levity to the idea of wearing underwear seems like a good thing. It's not overtly a potty-training book, just an underwear-is-fun book, which is probably why my kids like it. (They abhor potty-training books.) Besides that, it's a sweet story with colorful characters. I love the characters' empathy for the grumpy buffalo.
Beth
May 18, 2010 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Bison doesn't want to wear underwear and finds it useless. He becomes lonely until dared to say underwear 10 times without laughing. Bison can't do it.
Children listening can't do it, and it can be very difficult for the reader! At the end of the story Bison wears underwear with heart designs.
Bookish
Sep 05, 2009 Bookish rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
For some reason, this book jumped out at me as a possibility for my kid. It might well be because he is inordinantly focused on which pair of underwear he wants to wear, and he finds it fun to change them 2-3 times per day. As such, this is a book perfectly suited for him!
Kate Hastings
Oct 11, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: preschool kindergarten no more diapers storytime grumpy
Recommended to Kate Hastings by: Laura
Shelves: picturebooks
Not my all-time favorite, but Colin likes to say underwhere over and over and over... I end up laughing at him for laughing. Oh, the potty humor!
Could be good for a "No more diapers" storytime or for a storytime on grumpiness.
Heidi
Jul 19, 2008 Heidi rated it it was amazing
I should just buy this book so I don't have to embarass myself asking for it at the library again! My son LOVES this book - it is great for helping your kids get excited about wearing underwear! Cute story!
Peggy
Oct 16, 2009 Peggy rated it really liked it
Silly and fun - especially for pre-schoolers and kindergarteners. Animals in underwear and animals that won't wear underwear - how silly is that? The artwork is fabulous and really adds to the story.
Chardell
Mar 10, 2010 Chardell rated it it was amazing
I love this story! It is about a Zebra and other animals that enjoy wearing underwear. They even share their enjoyment with another animal that finds underwear silly, but it didn't for long.
Andrea
Dec 19, 2012 Andrea rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids
Disappointed in this. Was looking forward to reading it because I thought the concept was cute. Didn't care for the illustrations. Didn't make a whole lot of sense to my 3 1/2 year old.
Sue
Aug 20, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing
Love this book! I will use it as read aloud to my class to introduce our new motto, "Choose Your Attitude"! The book is funny (underwear is funny!) and the students can't help but laugh!
Casey Brandt
Nov 24, 2008 Casey Brandt rated it really liked it
This is a fun book for children to read, they get a kick out of saying the word "underwear" so many times. Not only is this story funny but it has a good message about friendship
Tricia
Feb 01, 2010 Tricia rated it it was ok
Perhaps this book was authored simply so there could be a title called "underwear". Found it to be okay...i'm guessing kids would give it more credit...especially the k set.
Leanna
Sep 06, 2007 Leanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
My Mom read this to my brother and I all the time when we were little. To this day, it still cracks me up! Bet you can't say "underwear" ten times fast without laughing!
Hannah Sheffield
This book is hilarious. I am not sure if I would read this to a classroom full of students because the subject may get them a little to hyper and silly.
Sharon
Jan 21, 2009 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
The kids love this book. Kids like to say bad words like underwear, poopy pants and other funny sounding words.

If you can find it, buy it.
Alysha DeShaé
Apr 11, 2013 Alysha DeShaé rated it it was amazing
I always have and always will love this book. It's fantastic!!!

Hear this book read by my mom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQQbLU...
Melissa
Jun 13, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it
A great silly book for preschool aged children! It brings new meaning to Mary Poppin's "I love to laugh . . ." - at least for our family!
Lisa Burbach
Aug 31, 2013 Lisa Burbach rated it it was amazing
I have read this aloud to many groups of children. In the end we are rolling on the floor laughing. It is a great book.
  • Cook-a-Doodle-Doo!
  • The Squeaky Door
  • The Little Duck
  • Let's Go, Froggy!
  • Chicky Chicky Chook Chook
  • The Principal's New Clothes
  • The Cow That Laid an Egg
  • "Stand Back," Said the Elephant, "I'm Going to Sneeze!"
  • A Porcupine Named Fluffy
  • Little Bear's Trousers
  • No More Water in the Tub!
  • My Monster Mama Loves Me So
  • What Dads Can't Do
  • My Teacher Sleeps in School
  • Don't Worry Bear
  • Down by the Cool of the Pool
  • Henny Penny
  • Never Take a Shark to the Dentist: (and Other Things Not to Do)