Start by marking “Smoke Bellew” as Want to Read:
Smoke Bellew

Smoke Bellew

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  1,070 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Christopher Bellew is a success in the eyes of the world, engaged with the San Francisco paper and penning stories daily... but for no pay. When Klondike fever strikes the region, he sees his chance to break from drudgery – starting him on a journey that takes him over mountain passes and down swirling rapids, removing him forever from the world he knew and the man he was. ...more
Published September 14th 2007 by Dodo Press (first published 1912)

To ask other readers questions about Smoke Bellew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smoke Bellew

Myra
Sep 01, 2016 Myra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Šią ir kitas mano apžvalgas galima rasti štai čia: http://knygoholike.blogspot.lt/2016/0...

Ar keistai nuskambės, jei pasakysiu, kad nuotykinė literatūra man nuobodi?.. Štai kad ir Jacko Londono "Smokas Belju". Keista, ar ne? Juk nuotykinė literatūra ir yra skirta nuoboduliui prablaškyti. O man nuobodu.

Kaip ir Holivudo trileriai - tik šaudo ir gaudo. Taip ir čia - aiški schema, žinai, kad bus kažkokių nuotykių, įvykių, tragedijų. O man labiau patinka kapstytis po žmonių smegenis ir jausmus.

Dėl t
Avrelia
I didn't re-read Jack London for a long time, and when I did, last year, I had a surprise: one of my favorite pieces, and the one that is extremely popular and well-loved in Russia, Smoke Bellew is virtually unknown here. It is a later work, published in 1911-12, and Jack London himself called it a hack work, written for money. And yet, it is, I believe, great. I mean, I've read later London's novels that were over-blown, over-melodramatic and rather impossible. Smoke Bellew is none of those ...more
Ian Wilkinson
May 18, 2012 Ian Wilkinson rated it it was amazing
This story brings you the transformation of an innocent kid working for a newspaper company, into a meat eating, full bearded man. Christopher (Smoke) Bellew, a newspaperman, embarks on a journey into the rough Alaskan wilderness, only planning to help out his relatives and be present for a few weeks. But this challenge brings in a new prospective of life, instead of writing about these times, live them. He chooses to stay in the Klondike himself and continue on this new found way of life. Life, ...more
Marko
Jan 03, 2010 Marko rated it it was amazing
A very underrated and forgotten book, this was Jack London's best writing. Almost nobody has heard of it.
Tracie Simonton
Jan 29, 2012 Tracie Simonton rated it really liked it
This book is timeless! especially if you have spent much time in Alaska. It was easy for me to relate with the characters.......l
Genadi Mihaylov
Jan 01, 2012 Genadi Mihaylov rated it it was amazing
A real book about what is man made of. Only Jack London's characters are capable to make you want to trade your life for theirs. I will always love this book.
Blackfriar
Apr 20, 2015 Blackfriar rated it it was amazing
Появилось желание побывать на Юконе за северным полярным кругом на золотых приисках ))
Grevick
Nov 28, 2016 Grevick rated it liked it
I liked the "meta" idea of this book. On the beginning we see Christopher Bellew, who agreed to write a series of short stories for the newspaper in San Francisco. This job is boring, exhausting, and also unpaid. So our hero decides to "run away" to the North. And since Smoke Bellew is, in fact, a set of short stories, it appears that instead of writing, Chris/Smoke decided to live them.

That part I liked. It was also educational to read about customs and conditions of Klondike back than. Some of
Trounin
Когда человеку шестнадцать лет, приходит время принятия самостоятельных решений. Мнение родителей уже не имеет значения, если требуется проявить мужественный поступок. Почему бы не податься на Север, найти золото и не зажить припеваючи? Примерно так решил Смок Беллью, которому надоела рутина литературного труда. Ему захотелось взбудоражить кровь предков, вчерашних покорителей Запада. Не имея сноровки и дотоле избегая физического труда, Смок на глазах читателя начнёт преображаться и достигнет ...more
Jozef Melichár
Niekedy som unavený z tých Londonových nadľudí - silných ale intelektuálne zdatných, s nádychom melanchólie, pretože sú hodení medzi týchto pochybných slabých okoloidúcich, akoby o 10 krokov pred všetkými ostatnými, ale tá krajina a tá doba ma vždy vtiahne a dobre sa to číta.
Artem Chapeye
Oct 12, 2016 Artem Chapeye rated it liked it
some cliches present ("no one ever been so happy" etc) but a good for its genre book
Mirela
Sep 18, 2016 Mirela rated it really liked it
Jack London won me over again with this amusing book of adventures in Klondike during the Golden Rush. The impressions of London's life of a gold miner in the North are here assigned to a fellow called Kit "Smoke" Bellew, whose family excursion to northern wilderness made him grow some respect for living closer to nature, for which reason he decides to stay there and explore the true (non-urban) life, nature and himself. "Smoke Bellew" is a ballad to the brave rebels exploring their limits and ...more
Beaux Cooper
Dec 27, 2015 Beaux Cooper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reader beware - those who open this tale will find their days outside the novel filled with dreams of the Yukon, sled racing, and gold. I promise, you will never look at an egg the same again.

Christopher "Kit" Bellew is a yuppy, lazy, jocular youth who inherited his wealth through a father of hard work and discipline. Pining away his days bored and restless in the city he is given the opportunity to help his cousins and uncle trek their way into the Alaskan Gold Rush. Each man requires a literal
Patrick
Mar 31, 2014 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary-fiction
Jack London is one of the great writers of the pre-WWI generation. His output was astounding, with over 400 non-fiction works alone. But, he is most famous for his adventure tales, many of which were set in the Klondike during the Gold Rush of '98. Classic short stories include "Call of the Wild", "To Build a Fire" and "In a Far Country". "Smoke Bellew" is one of lesser known novels of that period. It is rich and rewarding story-telling from a master of the genre. Smoke, aka Christopher and Kit, ...more
Amy R
Jan 24, 2011 Amy R rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I love Jack London. I love Alaska. Well, that makes sense being as I am Alaskan. I was impressed with the imagery that immediately called to mind my beloved home state. With that being said, I should get down to brass tacks.

This story starts off with a newspaper writer in San Fransisco just as the Gold Rush to Alaska starts off. Our hero, Kit Bellew, is a soft, city boy who decides to travel to the Yukon in search of a real story and an adventure. Now, this starts off as a 3 week trip, just to t
Nikola Peikov
Jun 28, 2012 Nikola Peikov rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: всички възрасти
Recommended to Nikola by: татко
"Бельо Пушилката" - една невероятно написана книга от Джек Лондон! Много увлекателна история, с развиващи се действия в Аляска.
Историите за Бельо и приятелят му, Малчо, биха разсмели читателя, на каквато и възраст да е!
Историята започва, разказвайки как главният герой (наричан тогава Кит Бельо) работи в редакцията на вестник. До къде се стига? До слава, богатство на Север.
Просто невероятно! Прочетете книгата, няма да се разочаровате! Първоначално аз подходих с леко неодобрение към нея, но проч
Robert
Sep 25, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up mainly because of the Jack London connections to Oakland and because it was a free Kindle download on Amazon. I'm very happy I did.

I didn't initially know that it was a collection of short stories rather than a novel, so I thought my free edition was worth about what I paid for it, with lots of missing chapters. I forged on, though, and enjoyed it just the same.

The main characters are very well developed and entertaining. The slang is very believable, at least for someone who has
Genia Hauser
Mar 24, 2016 Genia Hauser rated it it was amazing
Dies ist eines meiner liebsten Abenteurergeschichten, die ich zur Freude und Abwechslung in drei Sprachen gelesen habe.
Jack London muss man lassen, dass wenn er ein Land und seine Menschen beschrieb, er es schaffte genau das einzufangen, das diese Zeit und diesen Ort von all den anderen unterschied. Bei den Erzählungen aus der Zeit des Goldrauschs in Alaska hört man förmlich den Schnee unter den Schuhen knirschen und die Schlittenhunde bellen. Der erfinderische Smoke und sein fröhlicher Kumpel
GoldenGerbera
Dec 27, 2015 GoldenGerbera rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! First time in my life such thing happened: I caught myself realizing that I am in my room, on my bed and not in (in this case) in a snow of Alaska. That happened few times while reading this book. I read a lot since I was a child. I get myself deep in to the book. But to actually have my mind drift away to the content of book so much that I catch myself being suprise that I am at home, in my bed...that has never happened before. Read read and read this book!
Siegfried Gony
Superbe, une peinture du Klondike en pleine ruée vers l'or (1898-99). Une ode à la vie du "Wild", comme rite initiatique. La montée de la Chilkoot Pass, la ruée vers la rivière de la Squaw, la course de traineau d'un million de dollars, par un jeune plumitif qui a quitté Frisco et sa bohème littéraire, qui va endurcir sa viande, jusqu'à ce qu'elle devienne "filandreuse comme de la corde à fouet, âcre et tenace comme la morsure d'un serpent à sonnettes".
Milan Pohl
Dec 29, 2015 Milan Pohl rated it really liked it
Rather than a novel, this book resembles several loosely interconnected short stories with the same main character. The descriptions of the freezing, snowy environment of the gold rush, as well as the hardships the characters have to overcome, are excellent, as are some dialogues; however, I could not shake the feeling that the overall plot could use some polishing and a stronger direction. 75 %
Mollie
Apr 11, 2016 Mollie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First I found it weird that there is a gap between the stories and I don't know what happened then but I understood that the book is not a whole novel but collection of short stories (I didn't know before). Knowing that I think the stories are well collected together and it became one of my favorites so far! I want to read more from Jack London.
Sandy
Apr 26, 2012 Sandy rated it liked it
I can't say any of my favourite Jack London stories were in this collection, but it is still a good cross section of the sorts of stories he tends to tell about the Klondike. Smoke and Shorty are great characters, and the depth of their friendship is enviable.
Linfer
Jul 14, 2013 Linfer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, 2012
Seems I rediscovered one my of biggest loves of my childhood. And unlike Karl May's works for example, Jack London's stories are still so full of life and amazing with all their details.
"Smoke Bellew" has always been a favourite of mine and it was awesome reading it in English for the frst time.
Karen
Jan 02, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
This book is much funnier than any other Jack London that I remember reading. I read it while on a trip to Alaska which made it a very fitting and fun (if not particularly realistic) story about the Yukon gold rush.
Kathy
Aug 11, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can feel the cold, you can feel your fingers and toes growing numb, you can feel the sharp landscape take the last breath out of you, and what's best: you can feel the consequences, too.

I loved it.
Taimatai
Nors man labai patinka viskas, kas susij������ su ������iaure ir ������al������iais, bet ������i������ knyg������ reik������jo skaityti vaikyst������je. Arba Londono toks stilius arba ra������������ vaikams.
Jean
May 21, 2015 Jean rated it it was amazing
It is a Jack London with all the Yukon wilderness you want. Tough guys with their own law and hardship in a brutal land with gold for a reward or a disappointment. A little almost love story on the side. Dog sled race, good friends, and no-accounts. Loved it.
Dmitry
Aug 14, 2012 Dmitry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, adventure
A great, great book, one of the favorite books of my childhood! I've just reread it, and it reads as well now, as it did 30 years ago.
Vaidotas
Nors man labai patinka viskas, kas susij�� su ��iaure ir ��al��iais, bet ��i�� knyg�� reik��jo skaityti vaikyst��je. Arba Londono toks stilius arba ra���� vaikams.
  • Montezuma's Daughter
  • The Bear
  • Osceola the Seminole: The Red Fawn of the Flower Land
  • Нефритовые четки (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #11)
  • Алтын-Толобас (Огни большого города)
  • Doctor Criminale
  • Polska Jagiellonów
  • Tomek u źródeł Amazonki (Tomek #7)
  • Chicot the Jester (The Last Valois, #2)
  • Bertie And The Tinman (Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, #1)
  • Winnetou III: Winnetou Gugur
  • The Faithful River
  • The Case Of The Crimson Kiss: A Perry Mason Novelette, And Other Stories
  • The Curious Casebook of Inspector Hanshichi: Detective Stories of Old Edo
  • The Young Guard
  • Cylinder van Troffa
  • Public Confessions of a Middle-Aged Woman
  • The Confessions of Arsène Lupin (Arsène Lupin, #6)
Jack London was an American novelist, journalist, social-activist and short-story writer whose works deal romantically with elemental struggles for survival. At his peak, he was the highest paid and the most popular of all living writers. Because of early financial difficulties, he was largely self educated past grammar school.

London drew heavily on his life experiences in his writing. He spent ti
More about Jack London...