Start by marking “The Branded Man” as Want to Read:
The Branded Man

The Branded Man

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  334 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
When Marie, the wayward young daughter of a prosperous Northumbrian family, falls and injures herself, she is rescued by a mysterious man. As soon as she recovers her mother sends her to live with an aunt in London, and in her charge life is strict.

Marie grows to depend on the friendship of her aunt's companion, Sarah, and encouragement from her music tutor. But why, when
Published May 5th 2008 by Corgi (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Branded Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Branded Man

The Dwelling Place by Catherine CooksonThe Glass Virgin by Catherine CooksonThe Fifteen Streets by Catherine CooksonFeathers in the Fire by Catherine CooksonThe Wingless Bird by Catherine Cookson
Favourite Catherine Cookson Book?
22nd out of 32 books — 15 voters
Silence by Becca FitzpatrickStarcrossed by Josephine AngeliniTorment by Lauren KateSo Shelly by Ty RothAwake at Dawn by C.C. Hunter
Water
130th out of 563 books — 151 voters

More lists with this book...

Ria
Apr 26, 2015 Ria rated it it was amazing
When Marie Anne is born it sets in motion a train of events that will change her family's lives forever, she is wild, gypsy like and has a terrible temper but then having never been shown much love by either her parents or her siblings so when she is shipped off to London to live with a tyrannical distant aunt after a fight with her sister Evelyn it starts Marie Anne off on another dramatic turn in her life.
After a disgrace where she becomes pregnant she is yet again shipped off to what her aunt
Flyss Williams
Bittersweet tale of an unloved young girl, mistreated by her mother and sent away to live with her cold hearted aunt, misfortune seems to haunt her until she forms a friendship with her aunts fiesty irish housekeeper, who is willing to put the girls happiness first even if it is at the cost if her own.
Penny Kettlewell
One of her best

I enjoy period novels & CC is gifted in her mixtures of plots, characters & history and her ability to blend them coherently draws a reader into the story itself. She knows the realities of most of her characters lives & unfolds them so the reader can nearly hear & smell the backdrop of her stories. I would highly recommend CC's books, and though some are naturally better than others, they are all worth the effort, time & money to both read & share.
Cazann
Nov 04, 2014 Cazann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Been ages since i read a Cathrin Cookson... Still a grand read, I loved many of the charecters, places and seasons ..Thanks
Cassadie Bouchie
I thought this was an absolutely amazing book, it was so mesmerizing. I am in love with the details in this book.
Samia
Jun 06, 2016 Samia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Branded Man is one of my most unforgettable reads.
Rowlie
Jan 12, 2016 Rowlie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Couldn't put it down as it held my interest all the way through.
maria
Sep 21, 2015 maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Touching Read

This book is written in a use of language easy to read and comprehend. (Many of her other books are difficult.) Marie Ann is born a misfit wild child. She is loved mainly by a Grandfather. She runs and runs as a sense of freedom. She meets an Irish woman and disfigured man Don who give her reason to live. There's a lot of family uprisings. Ms. Cook is a great author. I recommend
Lili
I read all of Catherine Cookson's books some years ago and enjoyed them immensley. I recently re-read all of them and find that on a second look I found them all so very predictable, and was rather disappointed. However I'm sure that it is my tastes that have changed not the calibre of her story telling.
Susan
Jun 22, 2010 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As in most of Cookson's books she writes with strong female characters overcoming some miserable circumstance or misfortune. I also love the English accents given her characters. If you like books set in old England and well developed characters, you will enjoy books by Catherine Cookson!
Emily Stone
May 22, 2013 Emily Stone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miranda Starmz
Oct 25, 2011 Miranda Starmz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes mystery or intrigue with a touch of romance
Simply amazing. Although it was tedious at times (although maybe my weariness was to blame for falling asleep several times during reading, and because it has grown to be a habit for me to do so?), I loved it.
Joanna
Aug 21, 2009 Joanna rated it liked it
Shelves: literature, romance
I like Catherine Cookson's novels but I wish she added more romance into the mix. The drama's always more forefront. The story was very good and I liked the characters.
Alexandra
It was all right, but I don't think I'll be reading any more Catherine Cookson for a while...
Bettie☯
Carmen
Feb 04, 2012 Carmen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF There is too much misery between these pages and none of it beautifully written.
Carmen
Apr 22, 2014 Carmen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite authors with a great story and well developed characters.
Louise
Dec 11, 2010 Louise rated it really liked it
truegritt
Jan 14, 2009 truegritt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good book, as are all from this author. Brenda
Leanne Hunt
Nov 09, 2012 Leanne Hunt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, a riveting read from this author.
Ariella
Aug 26, 2010 Ariella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of her great ones! Cookson at her best!
Janet Randon
Aug 29, 2011 Janet Randon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good read.
Shauneen Ternahan
Shauneen Ternahan marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Jean Dove
Jean Dove marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Irene
Irene rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Vinetta Hipwell
Vinetta Hipwell rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
Louise Maheux
Louise Maheux rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
  • The Great Death
  • The Flowers Of The Field
  • The Property of a Gentleman
  • Angela's Ashes/'Tis/Teacher Man
  • Magicians of Gor (Gor, #25)
  • The Next Big Thing
  • The Brass Dolphin
  • From Light to Dark
Catherine Cookson was born in Tyne Dock, the illegitimate daughter of a poverty-stricken woman, Kate, who Catherine believed was her older sister. Catherine began work in service but eventually moved south to Hastings, where she met and married Tom Cookson, a local grammar-school master.

Although she was originally acclaimed as a regional writer - her novel The Round Tower won the Winifred Holtby
More about Catherine Cookson...