Start by marking “The Branded Man” as Want to Read:
The Branded Man

The Branded Man

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  279 ratings  ·  18 reviews
When Marie, the wayward young daughter of a prosperous Northumbrian family, falls and injures herself, she is rescued by a mysterious man. As soon as she recovers her mother sends her to live with an aunt in London, and in her charge life is strict.

Marie grows to depend on the friendship of her aunt's companion, Sarah, and encouragement from her music tutor. But why, when
Published May 5th 2008 by Corgi (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Branded Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Branded Man

The Dwelling Place by Catherine CooksonThe Fifteen Streets by Catherine CooksonFeathers In The Fire by Catherine CooksonThe Girl by Catherine CooksonTilly Trotter by Catherine Cookson
Favourite Catherine Cookson Book?
20th out of 31 books — 9 voters
Silence by Becca FitzpatrickStarcrossed by Josephine AngeliniTorment by Lauren KateSo Shelly by Ty RothHereafter by Tara Hudson
Water
121st out of 491 books — 133 voters

More lists with this book...

Flyss Williams
Bittersweet tale of an unloved young girl, mistreated by her mother and sent away to live with her cold hearted aunt, misfortune seems to haunt her until she forms a friendship with her aunts fiesty irish housekeeper, who is willing to put the girls happiness first even if it is at the cost if her own.
Penny Kettlewell
One of her best

I enjoy period novels & CC is gifted in her mixtures of plots, characters & history and her ability to blend them coherently draws a reader into the story itself. She knows the realities of most of her characters lives & unfolds them so the reader can nearly hear & smell the backdrop of her stories. I would highly recommend CC's books, and though some are naturally better than others, they are all worth the effort, time & money to both read & share.
Cazann
Been ages since i read a Cathrin Cookson... Still a grand read, I loved many of the charecters, places and seasons ..Thanks
Cassadie Bouchie
I thought this was an absolutely amazing book, it was so mesmerizing. I am in love with the details in this book.
Lili
I read all of Catherine Cookson's books some years ago and enjoyed them immensley. I recently re-read all of them and find that on a second look I found them all so very predictable, and was rather disappointed. However I'm sure that it is my tastes that have changed not the calibre of her story telling.
Susan
As in most of Cookson's books she writes with strong female characters overcoming some miserable circumstance or misfortune. I also love the English accents given her characters. If you like books set in old England and well developed characters, you will enjoy books by Catherine Cookson!
Emily Stone
Miranda Starmz
Oct 25, 2011 Miranda Starmz rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes mystery or intrigue with a touch of romance
Simply amazing. Although it was tedious at times (although maybe my weariness was to blame for falling asleep several times during reading, and because it has grown to be a habit for me to do so?), I loved it.
Joanna
I like Catherine Cookson's novels but I wish she added more romance into the mix. The drama's always more forefront. The story was very good and I liked the characters.
Alexandra
It was all right, but I don't think I'll be reading any more Catherine Cookson for a while...
☯Bettie☯
Carmen
DNF There is too much misery between these pages and none of it beautifully written.
Carmen
One of my favorite authors with a great story and well developed characters.
Amy Louise
truegritt
A good book, as are all from this author. Brenda
Leanne Hunt
As always, a riveting read from this author.
Ariella
One of her great ones! Cookson at her best!
Sharon
Sharon added it
Mar 24, 2015
Anja
Anja marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Kelsie
Kelsie marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Lois Terrell
Lois Terrell marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Bonnie Goodwin
Bonnie Goodwin marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
  • The Chestnut Tree
  • Lovers And Liars
  • The Loving Spirit
  • Through the Storm
  • The King of the Castle
  • The Immortals
  • Swordsmen of Gor (Gor, #29)
  • Class
  • Insiders
  • Air And Angels
  • Looking Forward
  • The Odyssey (Adaptation) (Puffin Classics)
  • The Door Behind Us
  • Ode to Billy Joe
  • A Falcon for a Queen
  • The Flowers Of The Field
  • The Middle Window
  • The Weeping and the Laughter
Catherine Cookson was born in Tyne Dock, the illegitimate daughter of a poverty-stricken woman, Kate, whom she believed to be her older sister. She began work in service but eventually moved south to Hastings, where she met and married Tom Cookson, a local grammar-school master. Although she was originally acclaimed as a regional writer - her novel The Round Tower won the Winifred Holtby Award for ...more
More about Catherine Cookson...
The Dwelling Place Tilly Trotter The Mallen Streak The Glass Virgin The Black Velvet Gown