Start by marking “The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)

The Hero of Ages (Mistborn #3)

4.45  ·  Rating Details ·  144,075 Ratings  ·  8,098 Reviews
Tricked into releasing the evil spirit Ruin while attempting to close the Well of Ascension, new emperor Elend Venture and his wife, the assassin Vin, are now hard-pressed to save the world.This adventure brings the Mistborn epic fantasy trilogy to a dramatic and surprising climax as Sanderson's saga offers complex characters and a compelling plot, asking hard questions ab ...more
Published October 14th 2008 by Tor Books (first published October 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Hero of Ages, please sign up.

David This book resolves EVERYTHING. It is the poster child of resolution. Everything changes, everything (even tiny insignificant details from book 1)…moreThis book resolves EVERYTHING. It is the poster child of resolution. Everything changes, everything (even tiny insignificant details from book 1) plays a part in shaping what becomes of the world. Read it. Read it now. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Luke Casey Read The Alloy of Law

Kat O'Keeffe
May 05, 2015 Kat O'Keeffe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic conclusion to a truly amazing trilogy! Brandon Sanderson is a masterful storyteller.

BOOKTALK HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4k99...
Benjamin Duffy
Dec 12, 2016 Benjamin Duffy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I finish this trilogy, I feel like addressing this book on two levels: first, on its own strengths and weaknesses as a novel; and second, as the capstone of the series and as an exposition of the Mistborn world and mythology. I’ll start with the latter of the two.

The overwhelming impression I get from the Mistborn books is that they have been written by someone who is a fantasy fan first, a fantasy author second. A pedantic geek, if you will. And I mean all of this as the highest praise – San
Samantha
Jul 15, 2016 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites-2016
This was the most perfect series finale I can remember reading... I cannot... I just........ A review will be on my channel when I can form words.
Erica (daydreamer)
This ‘review’ is not a review of the book, but more of my emotional journey through reading it and upon finishing. For those of you who have read the Mistborn trilogy, I think you can empathize with what I felt. For those of you who haven’t, I ask that you do yourself a favor, and feast upon these books. For they are truly the most amazing books I’ve ever read.

Before the end, I was going to write an absolutely glowing review full of caps lock and exclamations points and gifs and pictures and my
Maureen
Feb 16, 2015 Maureen rated it it was amazing
I cry but I'm also so happy. WHAT AN ENDING. I've never been so happy to be so sad.
Robin (Bridge Four)
Re-reading because:

1 - It is Brandon Sanderson and he is always better the second time through
2 - Shadows of Self comes out next month
3 - I just can't fight this feeling anymore

Buddy Read of the Mistborn series with some friends at Sanctum of Fantasy and it was worth it. A well thought out trilogy that ended as strong as it began.

I forgot to mention Spook in my original review but his role in this was key. He has grown up so much from the boy he was in Mistborn and has come to the forefront of
Regan
Nov 16, 2014 Regan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I CANT FORM WORDS
Hasham Rasool
WHO IS THE HERO OF AGES?

I had a little time to read this book because of Ramadan.

The Hero of Ages genres were fantasy and sci-fi.

This book focused on the characters Vin and Elend.

The Hero of Ages was a lot quicker. I loved this book so much Alhamdulillah!

This is the best trilogy! I have ever read Alhamdulillah!

Oh wow you changed, Spook my dear man!

I loved conclusion of the Mistborn trilogy so much Alhamdulillah. It was very sad. I cried a lot at the end of this book.

The end of this book are hap
Shannon (leaninglights)
*sobs* What an ending to a fantastic trilogy. Just wow.
Markus
Jun 21, 2016 Markus rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2014, cosmere

"Ash cloaks the land in a mantle of black. The mists come during the day, killing both crops and people. Men march to war. Ruin has returned."

The divine power hidden at the mythical Well of Ascension has been released. A dark force bent on the utter destruction of the world has been freed from the invisible shackles that once bound it. The mists are engulfing the outer dominances, murdering people in the darkness. But in the centre of it all stand Vin, recognised in the Final Empire as
Mario
God, my emotions are all over the place. I've never read a book with an ending that made me so sad, but also so satisfied at the same time.

I don't think that there would be a better way to end this series than this. It was just so epic. The whole series was.
Hassan
“Somehow, we'll find it. The balance between whom we wish to be and whom we need to be. But for now, we simply have to be satisfied with who we are.”

NOW THIS, HOW YOU CONCLUDE A SERIES!!!!!
The Hero of Ages isn't my favorite in the series, Actually it swung between 4 and 4.5 Stars throughout mostly the whole book, it was slower than the first two, and not as action-packed, BUT, it picked the FUCK up at the last 150 Pages, which is something to be expected from a Mistborn book.
but after this e
Bookworm Sean
Feb 22, 2016 Bookworm Sean rated it really liked it
I think Sanderson is a really impressive author of the fantasy genre. It must be incredibly hard to insert originality into books of this type; so much has been done before and then done again. With Sanderson it feels like I’m reading something completely new and completely exciting. His books and his characters are, simply put, cool. He just knows what his readership wants to see, and he gives it to them. The action scenes have an almost cinematic quality too them; they remind me of the combat ...more
Natalie Monroe
"Vin was not fury. She was not terror. She had grown beyond those things."

I've been waiting two books for Vin to woman up and be the kind of heroine epic fantasy deserves. She's matured so much since the mistrustful creature Kelsier welcomed into the fold four years ago. While she doesn't come close to cracking my top 20 favorite female characters, she's finally a character I can respect.

And the plot. Excuse me while I swoon. Gone are the linear plotlines of The Final Empire. The twists are in
Kelly
The mists are our friend. They hide us. Protect us. Give us Power

Um....I...Ummm.....can't even form words to speak after reading this book. This sums up my emotions right about now:
 photo feelings_zpsowou1yfs.gif

Brandon Sanderson has done it again people, everytime I thing I figure out what direction the plot is going in, he sends a Freaking curve ball at me that leaves me blindsided. Everything about this installation was beautiful. I laughed cried and was constantly left at the edge of my seat in anticipation of what was g
Sean
Oct 26, 2008 Sean rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The last half of this book dragged terribly for me, and there were three or four false climaxes before the real climax happened, which I found annoying. The ending was extremely religious in a peculiarly Mormon way, which also irritated me. As it is, I am even more skeptical now of Sanderson's ability to credibly write the end of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.
Kat  Hooper
Aug 27, 2014 Kat Hooper rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

I'm extremely impressed with Brandon Sanderson's first fantasy trilogy. The entire story was carefully thought out, well-plotted, and well-paced. What impresses me most is that in this last installment, The Hero of Ages, there are plenty of wonderful surprises left. But these surprises aren't little add-ons that Sanderson lately thought up and decided to throw in just to keep up the interest and excitement. These are major pieces of the puzzle that have pu
Melanie
Jul 18, 2016 Melanie rated it really liked it
#1.) The Final Empire
#2.) The Well of Ascension

This review is going to have mild spoilers from the previous books. I'm sorry, but it becomes too difficult to write a review without tapping into what has happened in the previous two installments. So read with caution!

Well, the last 10% of this book completely gutted me. I didn't just cry, I ugly cried (view spoiler)
Paige  Bookdragon

After months of trying to write the right review for this book, I realized that I can't justify the heartaches, hopes and happiness that I felt while reading this book. So here's my review:

description

Thank you toodrunktofindaurl for this post. It was perfect for this book.
JAIME
WHAT DID I JUST READ??!!!

That ending though....not what I was expecting. I definitely cried. And, I don't cry. I basically have no feelings.

RTC.

Re-read. Rating: all of the stars in the sky.

After barely recovering from this ending the first time, I fear after a second, I may never recover again.

Review to actually come, this time.
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Jan 04, 2017 Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ rated it it was amazing
So this was BY FAR my favorite installment in the first Mistborn trilogy.

I cannot even begin to sum up how great this was. LIKE DAMN.

I've mentioned before how much I appreciate Sanderson's heavy inclusion of religion and religious characters in his work. He somehow is able to ask those big questions, taking his characters through hell and back, without making the reader feel at all criticized or alienated.

The character developments in this one (especially for my precious Spook) were just beyo
Ivan
Jan 12, 2017 Ivan rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Well it's time for a bit of winter cleaning. I reworked my ratings a bit (I removed most of those books from my feed so I don't spam), I been 2 and a half year on GR and my read list has grown 6 times since my first year here. books don't looks as good as they initially did and Mistborn is one of those series so I decided to reduce it's overall rating from 4 to 3 stars.Actualy most of Sanderon's books have rating reduced except Stormlight Archives which remains on my favorite shelf I knwo I will ...more
Danae
Oct 28, 2014 Danae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful. Awesome. Fantastic.

My emotions are all over the place. The Hero of Ages was wonderful and heartbreaking all at the same time. Never before has a book put me through the wringer like this. I can't think, can't form proper sentences for how I feel, and I just need life to pause for a second so I can wrap my head around it all. I did not expect the series to end the way it did, and yet there is no better ending.

I'm so grateful to Brandon Sanderson for making me feel and care for these ch
Stephen
6.0 stars. On my list of "All Time Favorite" novels. In fact, this book has catapulted teh entire series into my list of "All Time Favorite" series. It is a rare thing indeed to have a series of this scope that contains so many different plot threads completed in the concluding volume in a way that answers all of the questions, does not feel rushed and leaves you as the reader saying "thank you" to the author for meeting (and even exceeding) all of your very high expectations.

Hero of Ages does
Sophia
Feb 08, 2015 Sophia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what did i just read
Mr. Matt
Apr 18, 2014 Mr. Matt rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2014
My thoughts about the final book in the Mistborn series pretty much sum up my thoughts about the series as a whole: flashes of brilliance that grab me firmly, and long, occasionally boring segments where I have to force myself to continue.

What Mistborn does well, it does very well. I love the fact that the author is not at all afraid to touch on religion as a major force in a Sci-Fi/Fantasy story. Pausing to think about it, I'm surprised religion isn't more prominent in the genre. Religion and f
C.S.
Mar 27, 2009 C.S. rated it it was ok
Shelves: epic-fantasy
This series slowly lost its luster for me. By this book I was just reading to see what happened to Vin. I think that Sanderson is a pretty good write but I really felt that the series was two long. It should have been two books.

I think it would have been tighter and more plausible. The main characters continued the trend of doing things that i felt were not very smart.

I am sure that some people will not agree. If you were a big fan of book 2, you are safe. If not you might want to skip to the la
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
10/9/15: Sooooo . . . I was supposed to read this with Robin weeks ago, but I'm a CHICKEN, and she didn't need me (b/c Sanderson fiend rereading) . . . So I procrastinated. And now SHADOWS OF SELF is here, and I'm two books behind, and, and . . . *kicks aluminum can*

So here I go. Alone. By myself. In the dark . . .
Kogiopsis
May 31, 2012 Kogiopsis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone, everyone, the whole damn world.
(Quick double heads-up: this is my 300th Goodreads book review! I think it's fantastic that such a milestone is on a book that I love as much as I love this one - which is scads and scads.
I would also like to give a quick shout-out here to all the wonderful people who have decided to follow my reviews. I've been meaning to say it for a while, but didn't get to it until now: you all are awesome and I really, really appreciate you. Thanks so much!)

I cannot actually write a review of this book with
Mpauli
Very epic ending to the trilogy and filled with very interesting themes about humanity and religion. All you can want from an epic fantasy.
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Hero of Ages (Mistborn #3) by Brandon Sanderson - Restarting December 17th 2016 71 116 Jan 13, 2017 01:05PM
Gods 3 34 Sep 08, 2016 01:20PM
Around the Year i...: Hero of Ages, by Brandon Sanderson 5 42 Feb 03, 2016 06:56AM
*SPOILERS* Sazed at the end 3 241 Jul 23, 2015 06:54AM
  • The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage, #2)
  • Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera, #3)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • The Emerald Storm  (The Riyria Revelations, part #4)
  • The Gathering Storm (Wheel of Time, #12)
  • Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #2)
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
  • A Betrayal in Winter (Long Price Quartet, #2)
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S
More about Brandon Sanderson...

Mistborn (7 books)
  • The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)
  • Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)
  • The Bands of Mourning (Mistborn, #6)
  • The Lost Metal (Mistborn, #7)

“Elend smiled. "Oh, come on. You have to admit that you're unusual, Vin. You're like some strange mixture of a noblewoman, a street urchin, and a cat. Plus, you've mangaged - in our short three years together - to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick.” 366 likes
“If you give up what you want most for what you think you should want more, you'll end up miserable.” 288 likes