Start by marking “The Uninhabited House” as Want to Read:
The Uninhabited House

The Uninhabited House

Happy were we when we could get an agreement signed for a couple of years-although we always had misgivings that the war waged with the last occupant would probably have to be renewed with his successor.
Published by IndyPublish.com (first published 1875)

To ask other readers questions about The Uninhabited House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Uninhabited House

Nancy Oakes
While I wouldn't classify this novella as great, it is quite entertaining, but most importantly, it led me to the work of Victorian writer Charlotte Riddell. To be very frank, The Uninhabited House is a story you don't read in hopes of being scared out of your wits ... it's more something you read in appreciation of the author's craft and as a representation of a woman writing Victorian supernatural fiction.

The "uninhabited house" of the title is River Hall, the property of Miss Helena Elmsdale
Wanda
22 MAR 2015 - a short read for today. I will be reading an ebook version; however, I love this cover - beautiful old house set in a dark, gloomy light.

Book links:

Manybooks.net - http://manybooks.net/titles/riddelljh...

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8602

I enjoy Victorian "ghost" stories and this one caught my eye. We shall see ...

23 MAR 2015 - Wow! What a great find this has been for me. This book has it all - an unsolved murder/mystery, a haunted house complete with a gho
Grace Harwood
Feb 17, 2013 Grace Harwood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I so enjoyed reading this delightful story. It had a touch of everything: ghost story, courthouse drama, even a bit of romance. Victorian writing can sometimes be a little slow going and hard to read, but this short novel is a real joy. The character of Mrs Blake with her idiosyncrasies is a comic masterpiece whereas Patterson's staid realism gave a touch of credibility to the fantasy. It was free on kindle and definitely worth a look. Highly recommended.
Emmett Hoops
Jan 23, 2016 Emmett Hoops rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Uninhabited House is a surprisingly well crafted story of the supernatural. This one holds up better than many similar ones from much more recent times.

Charlotte Riddell takes full advantage of the short novel length: the characters are well developed, the scene is memorably set, and the atmosphere is quite solidly middle-class Victorian. I truly enjoyed letting a very competent author take me into a haunted house -- and, from the distance of 145 years, scare the Victorian bejeezus out of m
Stephanie
Loved it! A great example of Victoriana with all it's gothic gloom and the unspoken horror of a tragically haunted house. Too fun!
Susan Jo Grassi
I almost gave up on this novella. The first third of the book drug but, when it picked up, I didn't want to put it down. It's a Supernatural Mystery written in 1875.
Kay
Although I'm a big fan of Victorian "weird" lit and ghost stories, I hadn't read anything (that I recall) by Charlotte Riddell, one of the most popular novelists of her day. The narrator in this tale is a clerk in a law office, and the book is a bit unusual in that he remains firmly in the background until the last third of the story. According to Richard Dalby, who has edited a number of excellent collections of Victorian stories, Charlotte Riddell was known as the 'chronicler of business' and ...more
Meg
A classic Victorian ghost story, ideal for reading in the lead up to Halloween. And an excellent introduction to a not previously known to me lady novelist.
Ivan Sagesse
CD70
Cristina Carrillo
Cristina Carrillo rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Dani Calle
Dani Calle rated it really liked it
May 14, 2013
Hedera
Hedera rated it it was ok
Sep 20, 2013
Katrina
Katrina rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Viktoria
Viktoria rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2017
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2015
Pip
Pip rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Keith Stone
Keith Stone rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2014
Davy Kenney
Davy Kenney rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2010
Toriana Zeyzus
Toriana Zeyzus rated it liked it
May 13, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2014
Sian Jackson
Sian Jackson rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2014
Marie
Marie rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Lychee
Lychee rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Rosielaine
Rosielaine rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Chris Nagy
Chris Nagy rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Sergio Garrido - Vadeletras
Sergio Garrido - Vadeletras rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2014
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2017
Isil
Isil rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2010
2085432
AKA: Mrs. Joseph H. Riddell and Charlotte Elizabeth Lawson Cowan Riddell. Sometimes published under the names C.E.L. Riddell, Catherine Riddell or F.G. Trafford

Charlotte Riddell aka Mrs J.H. Riddell (30 September 1832 – 24 September 1906) was one of the most popular and influential writers of the Victorian period. The author of 56 books, novels and short stories, she was also part owner and editor
More about J.H. Riddell...