Start by marking “The Tao of Daily Life: The Mysteries of the Orient Revealed The Joys of Inner Harmony Found The Path to Enlightenment Illuminated” as Want to Read:
The Tao of Daily Life: The Mysteries of the Orient Revealed The Joys of Inner Harmony Found The Path to  Enlightenment Illuminated

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  276 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
The perfect book for readers who are interested in Taoism and want a little daily inspiration.

The Tao of Daily Life combines ancient Eastern wisdom with practical application-perfect for busy Western readers! Derek Lin, Taoist master and expert in Eastern philosophy, brings his deep knowledge of this time-honored Chinese spiritual thought system into the twenty-first cent
Published September 6th 2007 by TarcherPerigee

To ask other readers questions about The Tao of Daily Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tao of Daily Life

The Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoThe Power of Now by Eckhart TolleOm Chanting and Meditation by Amit RayA New Earth by Eckhart TolleSiddhartha by Hermann Hesse
Best Spiritual Books
480th out of 704 books — 748 voters
Tao Te Ching by Lao TzuThe Tao of Pooh by Benjamin HoffSiddhartha by Hermann HesseThe Te of Piglet by Benjamin HoffTao by Alan W. Watts
Best Books on Taoism
29th out of 71 books — 75 voters

More lists with this book...

Tracey
Oct 23, 2012 Tracey rated it it was amazing
I have read this book several times already and will continue to do so as it is one of the most spiritually profound yet simple to understand books I have ever had the pleasure to read.
It is full of wisdom without being preachy. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is searching to connect with the spiritual dimension in their life
Aaron
Sep 24, 2012 Aaron rated it liked it
A simple introduction to eastern philosophy, with an emphasis on Taoism and Buddhism. Notions such as impermanence, subjectivity, interbeing, etc. are presented in terms of Taoist fables and short quotations from the Tao Te Ching.

Probably not useful for intermediate students of eastern thought.
Anala
Jun 09, 2014 Anala rated it it was amazing
how can something be so simple and so profound at the same time? well, this book certainly is. i felt awed, inspired and i literally had goosebumps occasionally when those seemingly simple stories got unfurled to give deeper meanings.
now, trying to practice tao in my daily life too.
Timothy Jenson
Dec 29, 2014 Timothy Jenson rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-s-read-2014
I enjoyed it, a lot of useful ideas. Though his ideas about Karma and the afterlife where a little out of character for Taoism. I thought only Hindu's believed in Karma. I will have to investigate more.
Sebastian Wolski
Oct 27, 2012 Sebastian Wolski rated it it was amazing
Excellent book to read that you can apply to different life situations everyday. Simple yet profound like another reviewer mentioned. Will re read multiple times.
Samantha
Sep 01, 2013 Samantha rated it liked it
The teachings that this book provides are genuinely a great way to live. But because of my Christianity, the part about heaven an hell would not be something that I could go by. I do believe in God but found the book all in all educational. It's a great way to understand why people believe in the way they do. It shows that people are different and no one person that has a different religion is necessarily evil but they we are all human beings on a quest to understand life, live our life to the f ...more
Bailey
Dec 05, 2014 Bailey rated it it was amazing
One of the most incredible books I have ever read. I immediately restarted reading it once I finished the first time.
M. Winslow
Jan 24, 2016 M. Winslow rated it really liked it
Definitely a reference book for me - read and read again!
Alex Farouqi
Aug 24, 2011 Alex Farouqi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that I will read over and over throughout my life. The stories are simple, but they contain profound teachings. Derek Lin's commentaries on the stories are very helpful as well. This was a wonderful book that I would recommend to anyone who wants to begin following the authentic time tested methods of Taoism. The author speaks and writes Chinese and English fluently, so is conveyance of ancient Chinese wisdom can be trusted to be accurate for any English speaking individual who do ...more
Alex Farouqi
Aug 24, 2011 Alex Farouqi rated it it was amazing
Terry
Mar 01, 2014 Terry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too personal for words! The most clear and concise book I've ever read about Tao!
Marjanne
Dec 17, 2007 Marjanne rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Taoism or spirituality in general
I think I would have rated this book higher if I had not already read several books on Taoism. In general I do feel that I agree with a lot of what Taoism is and do try to apply it in my life. Books like this are good if you are looking for ways to change your perspective, resolve personal issues and questions, and in general self-improvement. I don't feel like this book taught me anything new, though if you are not familiar with Taoism it would be a good place to start and would likely get you ...more
Kony
Mar 25, 2013 Kony rated it it was amazing
This book manages to be both charming and profound. Presents three dozen brief symbolic vignettes, each followed by comments that explain and apply the core truths. The vignettes introduce us to elements of Tao by way of roaring tigers, witty monks, gigantic mythical birds, talking waves of water, and even a few normal people. The follow-up comments don't beat around the bush: they tell us what the Tao is and what it's not, and they draw specific, intuitively appealing connections to modern life ...more
Caryn
Mar 10, 2013 Caryn rated it it was amazing
I am a little overwhelmed with all of the information this book contains. It really has me thinking and that's always a good thing. If I can incorporate only a little bit of this into my actual life I will be a better person. If the Tao is natural, and I truly want to incorporate it in my life without any expectations or attachments, I don't see why it can't be done.
Laurie
Jun 07, 2012 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book, but much of its contents I have encountered before. The author does an excellent job of organizing his topics, and I enjoy that every section begins with a traditional story or passage from the "Tao Te Ching" to illustrate a point. For me the last few chapters were the most thought provoking.
Sher
Sep 05, 2013 Sher rated it it was amazing
Excellent -- really helpful and inspiring. Lin provides a story from ancient Taoist wisdom and then follows it with commentary. Some of the tales come from the Chuang Tzu " a masterpiece of Chinese literature." Though I read the book straight through, it's a text that I will re-read throughout the year.
Jonahlyn
Jan 06, 2011 Jonahlyn rated it it was amazing
Finally finished it but I'll probably need to go back and re-read chapters occasionally. I'm not quite "living the Tao" yet. Really like how he starts each chapter with a story that illustrates each principal and then goes on to explain it in a way that's easy to understand. Great book!
Aaron
Apr 28, 2010 Aaron rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion, philosophy
This is a good primer of Taoist philosophy and is full of proverbs and anecdotes that serve both to amuse and entertain the reader. The elegant simplicity of Eastern philosophy is showcased and lofty concepts and ideals are presented in easily digestible language.
Mary Jo
Nov 23, 2007 Mary Jo rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who feels like their lives are speeding past them at a million miles an hour
Shelves: philosophy, health
I loved this book. Derek Lin does a fabulous job of giving us small lessons for simplifying the craziness that we live with now. It's can be a quick read, or long and leisurely with lots of contemplations. Hight recommended.
Rose Boyer
Oct 05, 2013 Rose Boyer rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Goes right along with my own belief system. seems like everyone should already know this. That unfortuately, that is not the case. It has beautiful humanistic values and is a good read.
Jon-david Mafia Hairdresser
Jul 09, 2013 Jon-david Mafia Hairdresser rated it it was amazing
This is a very visual-told story way of learning the Tao. Anyone studying the Tao who is an artist will let the pages just melt into their minds. I've absorbed so much from this book. I highly recommend!
Jessica
The ability to see life in such a way as to enjoy some beautiful strawberries without worrying about tigers below or rats chewing through your canopy makes me giggle.
Linda
Dec 01, 2009 Linda is currently reading it
I downloaded one of Derek Lin's talks on Tao while stuck in traffic headed to the GW Bridge on Thanksgiving Eve. Bingo! I'm in LUV L-U-V...
Danielle
Aug 20, 2012 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant. Great collection of stories and Derek applies the theories of the Tao to modern day life in a very practical and easy way.
Lewis Manalo
Jan 06, 2011 Lewis Manalo rated it really liked it
A good primer on Taoism, Lin veers into a syncretistic brand of Taoism, illustrating many points with Judeo-Christian and Buddhist examples.
Wendy Hearder-moan
Oct 22, 2013 Wendy Hearder-moan rated it it was amazing
"Read" but also "Currently reading" ....I expect I will continue to read it over and over again, picking up a little more each time.
Alex
Nov 26, 2015 Alex rated it it was amazing
Shelves: motivationale
An excellent book with short stories on Tao and applications to our daily lives. A very insightful book, highly recommended.
Ken!
Sep 22, 2013 Ken! rated it it was amazing
I like to page through this book every couple of years. It's really clearly written and well explained.
Angela
Mar 17, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Thought it was great. Read one "story" each day, let it take root.
  • Everyday Tao: Living with Balance and Harmony
  • The Way of Qigong: The Art and Science of Chinese Energy Healing
  • Simple Taoism: A Guide to Living in Balance
  • Zhuangzi Speaks: The Music of Nature
  • One Continuous Mistake: Four Noble Truths for Writers
  • Barefoot Doctor's Guide to the Tao: A Spiritual Handbook for the Urban Warrior
  • Religion and Nothingness
  • The Creative Economy: How People Make Money From Ideas
  • The Cultural Creatives: How 50 Million People Are Changing the World
  • "Excuse Me, But I Was Next...": How to Handle the Top 100 Manners Dilemmas
  • Soul Signs: An Elemental Guide to Your Spiritual Destiny
  • Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism
  • Essential Sacred Writings from Around the World: A Thematic Sourcebook on the History of Religions
  • When Friendship Hurts: How to Deal with Friends Who Betray, Abandon, or Wound You

“Ultimately, this story teaches us that things simply happen in life. They are not good or bad—they just are. They all serve the greater purpose of providing life lessons, but if we are too quick to judge them as good or bad based on initial impressions, we run the risk of losing sight of the real lessons. So next time something “bad” happens to you and makes you feel upset, remember: Sai Ong loses horse. Who knows if it isn’t a blessing? Chapter 9 The Wolves What Is the Best Way to Handle Negative People?” 0 likes
“Every dark cloud has a silver lining—conversely, the silver lining frames a dark cloud. Or as chapter 58 of Tao Te Ching expresses it: Misfortune is what fortune depends upon Fortune is where misfortune hides beneath Yin contains yang; yang contains yin. Every failure harbors the hidden seed of future success; every triumph contains the covert cause of future defeat. Thus, Sai Ong’s father isn’t mortified by bad news—but neither is he overelated” 0 likes