The Tao of Daily Life: The Mysteries of the Orient Revealed The Joys of Inner Harmony Found The Path to Enlightenment Illuminated

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  32 reviews
The perfect book for readers who are interested in Taoism and want a little daily inspiration.

The Tao of Daily Life combines ancient Eastern wisdom with practical application-perfect for busy Western readers! Derek Lin, Taoist master and expert in Eastern philosophy, brings his deep knowledge of this time-honored Chinese spiritual thought system into the twenty-first centu...more
Published September 6th 2007 by Tarcher

To ask other readers questions about The Tao of Daily Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tao of Daily Life

Tracey
I have read this book several times already and will continue to do so as it is one of the most spiritually profound yet simple to understand books I have ever had the pleasure to read.
It is full of wisdom without being preachy. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is searching to connect with the spiritual dimension in their life
Sebastian Wolski
Excellent book to read that you can apply to different life situations everyday. Simple yet profound like another reviewer mentioned. Will re read multiple times.
Samantha
The teachings that this book provides are genuinely a great way to live. But because of my Christianity, the part about heaven an hell would not be something that I could go by. I do believe in God but found the book all in all educational. It's a great way to understand why people believe in the way they do. It shows that people are different and no one person that has a different religion is necessarily evil but they we are all human beings on a quest to understand life, live our life to the f...more
Anala
how can something be so simple and so profound at the same time? well, this book certainly is. i felt awed, inspired and i literally had goosebumps occasionally when those seemingly simple stories got unfurled to give deeper meanings.
now, trying to practice tao in my daily life too.
Alex Farouqi
This is a book that I will read over and over throughout my life. The stories are simple, but they contain profound teachings. Derek Lin's commentaries on the stories are very helpful as well. This was a wonderful book that I would recommend to anyone who wants to begin following the authentic time tested methods of Taoism. The author speaks and writes Chinese and English fluently, so is conveyance of ancient Chinese wisdom can be trusted to be accurate for any English speaking individual who do...more
Alex Farouqi
Terry
Too personal for words! The most clear and concise book I've ever read about Tao!
Marjanne
Dec 17, 2007 Marjanne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Taoism or spirituality in general
I think I would have rated this book higher if I had not already read several books on Taoism. In general I do feel that I agree with a lot of what Taoism is and do try to apply it in my life. Books like this are good if you are looking for ways to change your perspective, resolve personal issues and questions, and in general self-improvement. I don't feel like this book taught me anything new, though if you are not familiar with Taoism it would be a good place to start and would likely get you...more
Kony
This book manages to be both charming and profound. Presents three dozen brief symbolic vignettes, each followed by comments that explain and apply the core truths. The vignettes introduce us to elements of Tao by way of roaring tigers, witty monks, gigantic mythical birds, talking waves of water, and even a few normal people. The follow-up comments don't beat around the bush: they tell us what the Tao is and what it's not, and they draw specific, intuitively appealing connections to modern life...more
Troberts
A clearly informative, wonderfully written book for anyone wishing to explore and cultivate the Tao teachings in their life. Each chapter, story and concept is fully explained and described in such a way as it is very comprehensible and easy to grasp. Each lesson is something you can apply to your life and can refer to. It was an enjoyable, positive read that has impacted me a great deal. From the very first page, to the last, the teachings and concepts empower.
Caryn
I am a little overwhelmed with all of the information this book contains. It really has me thinking and that's always a good thing. If I can incorporate only a little bit of this into my actual life I will be a better person. If the Tao is natural, and I truly want to incorporate it in my life without any expectations or attachments, I don't see why it can't be done.
Laurie
This was a good book, but much of its contents I have encountered before. The author does an excellent job of organizing his topics, and I enjoy that every section begins with a traditional story or passage from the "Tao Te Ching" to illustrate a point. For me the last few chapters were the most thought provoking.
Sher
Excellent -- really helpful and inspiring. Lin provides a story from ancient Taoist wisdom and then follows it with commentary. Some of the tales come from the Chuang Tzu " a masterpiece of Chinese literature." Though I read the book straight through, it's a text that I will re-read throughout the year.
Aaron
A simple introduction to eastern philosophy, with an emphasis on Taoism and Buddhism. Notions such as impermanence, subjectivity, interbeing, etc. are presented in terms of Taoist fables and short quotations from the Tao Te Ching.

Probably not useful for intermediate students of eastern thought.
Jonahlyn
Finally finished it but I'll probably need to go back and re-read chapters occasionally. I'm not quite "living the Tao" yet. Really like how he starts each chapter with a story that illustrates each principal and then goes on to explain it in a way that's easy to understand. Great book!
Aaron
This is a good primer of Taoist philosophy and is full of proverbs and anecdotes that serve both to amuse and entertain the reader. The elegant simplicity of Eastern philosophy is showcased and lofty concepts and ideals are presented in easily digestible language.
Mary Jo
Nov 23, 2007 Mary Jo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who feels like their lives are speeding past them at a million miles an hour
Shelves: health, philosophy
I loved this book. Derek Lin does a fabulous job of giving us small lessons for simplifying the craziness that we live with now. It's can be a quick read, or long and leisurely with lots of contemplations. Hight recommended.
Rose Boyer
Love this book. Goes right along with my own belief system. seems like everyone should already know this. That unfortuately, that is not the case. It has beautiful humanistic values and is a good read.
Jon-david Mafia Hairdresser
This is a very visual-told story way of learning the Tao. Anyone studying the Tao who is an artist will let the pages just melt into their minds. I've absorbed so much from this book. I highly recommend!
Jessica
The ability to see life in such a way as to enjoy some beautiful strawberries without worrying about tigers below or rats chewing through your canopy makes me giggle.
Linda
Dec 01, 2009 Linda is currently reading it
I downloaded one of Derek Lin's talks on Tao while stuck in traffic headed to the GW Bridge on Thanksgiving Eve. Bingo! I'm in LUV L-U-V...
Danielle
Absolutely brilliant. Great collection of stories and Derek applies the theories of the Tao to modern day life in a very practical and easy way.
Lewis Manalo
A good primer on Taoism, Lin veers into a syncretistic brand of Taoism, illustrating many points with Judeo-Christian and Buddhist examples.
Wendy Hearder-moan
"Read" but also "Currently reading" ....I expect I will continue to read it over and over again, picking up a little more each time.
Alex
An excellent book with short stories on Tao and applications to our daily lives. A very insightful book, highly recommended.
Ken!
I like to page through this book every couple of years. It's really clearly written and well explained.
Angela
Loved it. Thought it was great. Read one "story" each day, let it take root.
Rachel
This is extremely simple but brilliant. I would recommend this to everyone.
Connie
This is a great book. I love how Lin uses stories to bring points to light.
Jennifer S
LOVED chapter 8 & 9. Very pertinent in my life right now...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The Tao of Success: The Five Ancient Rings of Destiny The Tao of Joy Every Day: 365 Days of Tao Living Tao Te Ching: Annotated & Explained The Tao of Joy Every Day: 365 Days of Tao Living The Tao of Daily Life

“Every dark cloud has a silver lining—conversely, the silver lining frames a dark cloud. Or as chapter 58 of Tao Te Ching expresses it: Misfortune is what fortune depends upon Fortune is where misfortune hides beneath Yin contains yang; yang contains yin. Every failure harbors the hidden seed of future success; every triumph contains the covert cause of future defeat. Thus, Sai Ong’s father isn’t mortified by bad news—but neither is he overelated” 0 likes