Start by marking “The List” as Want to Read:
The List

The List

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  9,413 ratings  ·  101 reviews
A bold and successful scheme to outwit the biggest players in publishing and film animates this novel by the bestselling author of The Judge--a suspenseful thriller in which the price of fame becomes terror. "Gable Cooper" has penned a novel to kill for. Six million dollars in book and film rights are looming just off the table for this unknown author. But there is a probl ...more
Audio, Large Print, 0 pages
Published April 1st 1998 by Simon & Schuster (first published February 10th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The List, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The List

Amy
Totally not his best. Not even close to his best. Not that Martini's all that hot, but at least his other books aren't so trite. I would have put it down but I had nothing else to read. It's an intriguing idea that turns stupid, fast. If the main character is so smart, how come she makes so many lame brained mistakes. You know how you're watching a horror movie and you start getting mad at the main character because they don't turn the lights on, or call the cops, or do something that demonstrat ...more
Veronique
Maybe it's unfair to count this book as read and rate it when I didn't come close to finishing it, but when I don't finish a book that means it's beyond bad. I finished Twilight. I couldn't keep reading The List.

I started reading the book because I thought it might be like a John Grisham book. Maybe Steve Martini is like him in one way, in that half his books are disgusting and the other half are brilliant, but I wouldn't give him the second chance to find out. It comes across as amateur when s
Bridgette Redman
Are you ready to publish that novel of yours? You know, the one that’s headed straight for the bestseller list as soon as you can convince a publisher of your genius? Well, take some tips from Mr. Steve Martini and his novel The List. Here are his 10 ways to make the top 10 bestseller list:

1. Write according to formula.
2. Create a new genre.
3. Hide any previous published works that didn’t make the bestseller list.
4. Hire a good-looking model.
5. Choose a sexy pen name.
6. Make up a bio filled with
Michael
Aug 03, 2007 Michael rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Blech. This was the first Steve Martini book I'd ever read, and it will also be the last. Poorly drawn characters, mocking cliched literary tropes while simultaneously writing them, and a ridiculous "twist" ending.

Also, writing a novel about the publishing industry that laments the attention paid to specific real-world writers just makes you sound jealous, Mr. Martini.
Liz
Rarely do I have enough ambition to summarize the books I read, and I don’t like to give away the plot, but this time I’m making an exception. Why? Because this book sucked so bad! Do I need to give a disclaimer? Okay, I will. This is simply my opinion. Mr. Martini can certainly write a book better than me. Absolutely. No doubt. Okay?
susy
Apr 05, 2007 susy rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My worst enemy
This book was a total stinker. I found it in the garbage, where it belonged, with a handwritten message on a piece of notebook paper inside that said part of the book took place on St. Croix, which is where I am right now. For the hell of it, and for lack of better reading material, I gave it a shot. Oh, for shame.
Alice Harbin
About the “seductive world of entertainment.” A lawyer turned writer conspires to outwit the big guys. I found the first 95 pgs slow, and the plot confused by the many characters that I found difficult to separate. When he starts getting very graphic about horrific spouse abuse, I quit.
Read Ng
I liked this story, but for all the wrong reasons. The suspense portion was pretty weak. I just did not feel it to be very compelling. There wasn't enough fear build up to the end. The characters were not all that interesting. I did not have any sympathy for the villain. A good story at least gets you to feel something.

What I really liked were the book publishing insights. Why books are marketed the way that they are was interesting. I complain about too many books marketed as trilogies, but thi
Steve
I liked this book at first. Then, I hated it and couldn't wait for it to end. Then I liked it again for another 50 pages. Finally, I hated it and was glad it ended.
Dale
Good vacation book

Written in the wake of the Milli Vanilli music scandal , Steve Martini's The List features an unsuccessful female author (Abby Chandlis) who has written a book that under a male pen name (Gable Cooper) in order to make the book more marketable.

So far, no big deal. Lots of authors use pen names. Several female romance authors have used pen names to write detective books and thrillers. In this case, the author actually hires a person to portray himself as the real Gable Cooper
Jerry
Non-courtroom Martini a little "dry" despite "twist" at end!

We have yet to try Martini's acclaimed defense attorney Paul Madriani series; like his first book, The Simeon Chamber, this one is a thriller with the lead character a lawyer, but little or no lawyering goes on. Instead, a prologue sets the stage for the danger-laced tale of Abby Chandlis, a published but obscure part-time author/lawyer, who somehow writes what she knows might be a best seller. Most of the book is about her earning mil
Kellie
Very suspenseful book, although it took a very LONGGG time to get into it. The main character visits Old San Juan and talks about the cruise ships that dock there. I was in one of those cruise ships not long ago...although I can't say I liked it as much as the author does.

Not done yet...almost though

I’m not exactly sure how I really feel about this book. It was definitely full of suspense. Good story. But, it was missing something. I can’t put my finger on it. The story is about a woman who wri
Jan Derksen
Jul 12, 2012 Jan Derksen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

Een onthutsende blik op de intriges en gewetenloze manipulaties in de uitgeverswereld

Abby Chandlis heeft een gewaagd plan bedacht om haar schrijverscarriere nieuw leven in te blazen. Tegen beter weten in beslist Abby dat Jack Jermaine de juiste persoon is om een succes te maken van haar roman. Ze vermoedt niet dat ze daarmee een pact met de duivel sluit en een keten van angstaanjagende gebeurtenissen in gang zet...

NBD|Biblion recensie

Uit marketingoverwegingen huurt een advocate een plezierig o

Lisa Temple
Jan 03, 2014 Lisa Temple rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller Lovers - 18+
Steve Martini is one of my 2nd tier authors that probably deserves to be 1st tier. Grisham, Baldacci - even Clancy (despite years of waiting for another Hunt for Red October) - all occupy top shelf status, yet in reality, Martini has been every bit as consistent in producing solid thrillers as any of the aforementioned hit makers.

"The List" is one of those good solid hits. After writing what she is sure is a best seller, attorney and author, Abby Chandlis, decides to do the unthinkable by "creat
Ryan Funk
Certainly not his best book. I started it and kept thinking it would get better, it does pick up a little and then drops back again. By that time I was too far in to quit. I don't know if this is really how the publishing world works, but the characters and plot line just came off a little thin to me.
He has better books, pass this one by unless you really need to read all Mr. Martini has done.
Jeff Dickison
Easily the worst book I have ever read by a major novelist. The premise is dumb, the heroine is so stupid you hope the bad guy wins, the action is phony. Dumb, dumb, and dumber. I only finished it to see if it was really as bad as I thought. It was. Martini has written good books so there is no real excuse for this one. Not recommended to anyone.
Jayne
I'm not really sure which category this story fits into. Maybe a thriller?

Anyway, I was expecting something a bit more b-grade for some reason....possibly the cover, ha. Although I guess this is more of a 3 and a half star, than a 4.

It moves along at a good pace, and it kept me guessing to the end. It gives hints to who the baddy might be. There were only a couple of dumb things that happens, which I consider to be sloppy writing. Possible spoiler - If you are being absolutely anal about locking
Jan
Abby is an author, she is also a lawyer, and working in a law firm that is downsizing. She confides in her close lawyer friend, that she has a firm offer for one of her books, but is going under the pen name of Gable Cooper,and is looking for
a actor to play the part of the author. The friend agrees to do all the legal paperwork.

She hires her "Gable Cooper" and her friend gets murder, also her friends ex-husband gets murdered, and then she is also almost murdered. Who dun it....when she finds h
Nafisah Abubakar
Edge of your seat suspense. Very tight plot, fun and sometimes funny. Mediocre ending. How could you end the book like that Mr. Martini?
Steve Carlson
really interesting premise with lots of twists.
Meg
This book was great; however, not for people with weak stomachs.
Carol
It was a little slow at first, but after about a quarter of the way through it got interesting; a third of the way, it got VERY interesting. Abby was a lawyer/author who wanted to write with a male pen name. Her book was a major hit; the only problem was she had to find a guy to act as the author for interviews, pictures, etc. Here comes publishers, movie producers, contracts, television, exes, major money, theft, corruption, murder, etc., etc. Who's the Good guy/bad guy? Good book.
Lee
Abby Chandlis, an attorney, is an aspiring author and now she has a potential best seller on her hands. The only problem is that the publisher's believe the author is a man! Now Abby has to find someone to play the author of her book and figure out how to keep him under her control. This is a great plot and the characters are well developed. If you like mysteries and the publishing business you'll love this plot.
Amanda Patterson
Gable Cooper has a $6 million offer for his novel.
The only problem is that he doesn't exist. The real author, lawyer, Abby Chandlis, thought a good-looking male writer would ensure the book's success. This is like Dr Frankenstein creating his monster. Abby creates her own nightmare and there is nothing in the legal system that will stop her creation from taking on a life of his own.
And taking hers in the process.
Eileen
The book's plotting and twists were perfect for this type of escapist genre. Not really believable but a page turner no less. I think that some of the characteristics of the publishing industry are probably true but there's nothing like a serial killer to move the characters and climatic ending. Can't read this type of book too often, but it was an interesting ride.
J. Ewbank
This is a very good book and is a very interesting read. A female lawyer has written an excellent book, one that will make a lot of money, but she has given the author a male's name. Now she wants to find a male to pretend to be the author. Her selection is interesting and so is the rest of the story.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Ira
Agak lain dari buku-bukunya Steve Martini yang pernah aku baca... biasanya tokohnya Steve Martini selalu penuh humor dengan gaya bicara yang lucu gitu, dengan kalimat-kalimat yang rada smart-ass.... mungkin karena kalo ini tokohnya cewe ya, jadi dibikin rada lain.

Secara keseluruhan ok banget idenya, cuman penjahatnya gampang ditebak seh... jadi kurang seru deh :D
Maria
Before, I read the book , I thought it would be entertaining, the idea is somehow new,if it wasn't for the fast twist in the end, I would have given it 2,,, some details , I wasnt convinced by, the most important that not all successful book authors are beautiful,,, the word "ass" was repeated in nearly every page , also there was some sex content.
Vonnie
This kept my interest well enough, but I felt like the plot was typical & predictable. I didn't care for the language & the author narrowed down the bad guy by killing off all those that looked guilty. Last man standing is it! I picked it up thinking it would be similar to a John Grisham. I probably won't read any more of this author.
Babette
I was given this book by someone. At the moment I cannot remember if I have read any other books by Steve Martini. This book certainly doesn't encourage me to try again. The plot was formulaic in many ways, the villian was obvious because no one else made sense. I kept turning the pages just to get the experience over with.
  • Degree of Guilt (Christopher Paget, #2)
  • Pleading Guilty (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #3)
  • A Plague of Secrets (Dismas Hardy, #13)
  • The Tenth Justice
  • The Associate (Amanda Jaffe, #2)
  • The Juror
  • Total Control
  • Reversible Error (Butch Karp, #4)
  • The Vulture Fund
Steve Martini, a former lawyer, writes legal thrillers and mysteries. His "Paul Madriani" books are bestsellers.
More about Steve Martini...
Prime Witness (Paul Madriani, #2) The Judge (Paul Madriani #4) The Rule Of Nine (Paul Madriani, #11) Compelling Evidence (Paul Madriani, #1) The Jury (Paul Madriani, #6)