Start by marking “The List” as Want to Read:
The List

The List

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,916 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
A bold and successful scheme to outwit the biggest players in publishing and film animates this novel by the bestselling author of The Judge--a suspenseful thriller in which the price of fame becomes terror. "Gable Cooper" has penned a novel to kill for. Six million dollars in book and film rights are looming just off the table for this unknown author. But there is a probl ...more
Audio, Large Print, 0 pages
Published April 1st 1998 by Simon & Schuster (first published February 10th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The List, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The List

Amy
Sep 12, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Totally not his best. Not even close to his best. Not that Martini's all that hot, but at least his other books aren't so trite. I would have put it down but I had nothing else to read. It's an intriguing idea that turns stupid, fast. If the main character is so smart, how come she makes so many lame brained mistakes. You know how you're watching a horror movie and you start getting mad at the main character because they don't turn the lights on, or call the cops, or do something that demonstrat ...more
Liz
Aug 20, 2012 Liz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Rarely do I have enough ambition to summarize the books I read, and I don’t like to give away the plot, but this time I’m making an exception. Why? Because this book sucked so bad! Do I need to give a disclaimer? Okay, I will. This is simply my opinion. Mr. Martini can certainly write a book better than me. Absolutely. No doubt. Okay?
Veronique
Sep 30, 2013 Veronique rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trash, thriller
Maybe it's unfair to count this book as read and rate it when I didn't come close to finishing it, but when I don't finish a book that means it's beyond bad. I finished Twilight. I couldn't keep reading The List.

I started reading the book because I thought it might be like a John Grisham book. Maybe Steve Martini is like him in one way, in that half his books are disgusting and the other half are brilliant, but I wouldn't give him the second chance to find out. It comes across as amateur when s
Bridgette Redman
Feb 02, 2012 Bridgette Redman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Are you ready to publish that novel of yours? You know, the one that’s headed straight for the bestseller list as soon as you can convince a publisher of your genius? Well, take some tips from Mr. Steve Martini and his novel The List. Here are his 10 ways to make the top 10 bestseller list:

1. Write according to formula.
2. Create a new genre.
3. Hide any previous published works that didn’t make the bestseller list.
4. Hire a good-looking model.
5. Choose a sexy pen name.
6. Make up a bio filled with
Stephen
Oct 12, 2015 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stephen Campbell
English 1-A, period 1
Mrs. Kuehl
12 October 2015
The book I read for this assignment is called The List by Steve Martini. I chose this book because I got it from my cousin. And I’ve always been too young to read it cause its so long and confusing like most adult books. I’ve had this book for 3 years and so excited to read this book.
This book is about an author who is in his late thirties, he in very good shape, and based on what the woman in the story say about him, they think he’
Maya
Jul 26, 2015 Maya rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Не знам какво да кажа. Възможно най-динамичен и овъртян трилър-сюжет и възможно най-слабото изпълнение като литература. Книга, която четеш и се ядосваш на безумно плоските образи, на слабите диалози, на изсмуканите от пръстите любовни сцени и екшън-гонитби, на тоновете клишета, а в същото време ти се иска да стигнеш до развръзката, защото сюжетът е интересен, по дяволите! И се развива на фона на една доста реалистично звучаща картина на издателския бизнес. Впрочем, ако изобщо в книгата има силна ...more
Michael
Aug 03, 2007 Michael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Blech. This was the first Steve Martini book I'd ever read, and it will also be the last. Poorly drawn characters, mocking cliched literary tropes while simultaneously writing them, and a ridiculous "twist" ending.

Also, writing a novel about the publishing industry that laments the attention paid to specific real-world writers just makes you sound jealous, Mr. Martini.
susy
Apr 05, 2007 susy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My worst enemy
This book was a total stinker. I found it in the garbage, where it belonged, with a handwritten message on a piece of notebook paper inside that said part of the book took place on St. Croix, which is where I am right now. For the hell of it, and for lack of better reading material, I gave it a shot. Oh, for shame.
Alice Harbin
Jun 18, 2013 Alice Harbin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
About the “seductive world of entertainment.” A lawyer turned writer conspires to outwit the big guys. I found the first 95 pgs slow, and the plot confused by the many characters that I found difficult to separate. When he starts getting very graphic about horrific spouse abuse, I quit.
Read Ng
Jul 02, 2014 Read Ng rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, thriller
I liked this story, but for all the wrong reasons. The suspense portion was pretty weak. I just did not feel it to be very compelling. There wasn't enough fear build up to the end. The characters were not all that interesting. I did not have any sympathy for the villain. A good story at least gets you to feel something.

What I really liked were the book publishing insights. Why books are marketed the way that they are was interesting. I complain about too many books marketed as trilogies, but thi
Steve
I liked this book at first. Then, I hated it and couldn't wait for it to end. Then I liked it again for another 50 pages. Finally, I hated it and was glad it ended.
Amy
May 24, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started this book expecting mediocrity; a formula based thriller like any other, but the ending completely took me by surprise.

Abby Chandlis has written a novel for the ages, now all she needs is a ruggedly handsome man to pose as the author. She teams up with Jack Jermaine who smells like trouble from the get go. Meanwhile, every lowlife troublemaker Abby has ever come in contact with makes an appearance to try and cut their own slice out of the success pie. Naturally, chaos ensues.

This nov
Dale
Jul 31, 2012 Dale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good vacation book

Written in the wake of the Milli Vanilli music scandal , Steve Martini's The List features an unsuccessful female author (Abby Chandlis) who has written a book that under a male pen name (Gable Cooper) in order to make the book more marketable.

So far, no big deal. Lots of authors use pen names. Several female romance authors have used pen names to write detective books and thrillers. In this case, the author actually hires a person to portray himself as the real Gable Cooper
Jerry
Jul 23, 2010 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Non-courtroom Martini a little "dry" despite "twist" at end!

We have yet to try Martini's acclaimed defense attorney Paul Madriani series; like his first book, The Simeon Chamber, this one is a thriller with the lead character a lawyer, but little or no lawyering goes on. Instead, a prologue sets the stage for the danger-laced tale of Abby Chandlis, a published but obscure part-time author/lawyer, who somehow writes what she knows might be a best seller. Most of the book is about her earning mil
Kellie
Mar 12, 2010 Kellie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very suspenseful book, although it took a very LONGGG time to get into it. The main character visits Old San Juan and talks about the cruise ships that dock there. I was in one of those cruise ships not long ago...although I can't say I liked it as much as the author does.

Not done yet...almost though

I’m not exactly sure how I really feel about this book. It was definitely full of suspense. Good story. But, it was missing something. I can’t put my finger on it. The story is about a woman who wri
Jan Derksen
Jul 12, 2012 Jan Derksen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

Een onthutsende blik op de intriges en gewetenloze manipulaties in de uitgeverswereld

Abby Chandlis heeft een gewaagd plan bedacht om haar schrijverscarriere nieuw leven in te blazen. Tegen beter weten in beslist Abby dat Jack Jermaine de juiste persoon is om een succes te maken van haar roman. Ze vermoedt niet dat ze daarmee een pact met de duivel sluit en een keten van angstaanjagende gebeurtenissen in gang zet...

NBD|Biblion recensie

Uit marketingoverwegingen huurt een advocate een plezierig o

Lisa Temple
Jan 03, 2014 Lisa Temple rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller Lovers - 18+
Steve Martini is one of my 2nd tier authors that probably deserves to be 1st tier. Grisham, Baldacci - even Clancy (despite years of waiting for another Hunt for Red October) - all occupy top shelf status, yet in reality, Martini has been every bit as consistent in producing solid thrillers as any of the aforementioned hit makers.

"The List" is one of those good solid hits. After writing what she is sure is a best seller, attorney and author, Abby Chandlis, decides to do the unthinkable by "creat
Ryan Funk
Certainly not his best book. I started it and kept thinking it would get better, it does pick up a little and then drops back again. By that time I was too far in to quit. I don't know if this is really how the publishing world works, but the characters and plot line just came off a little thin to me.
He has better books, pass this one by unless you really need to read all Mr. Martini has done.
Jeff Dickison
Jun 04, 2014 Jeff Dickison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Easily the worst book I have ever read by a major novelist. The premise is dumb, the heroine is so stupid you hope the bad guy wins, the action is phony. Dumb, dumb, and dumber. I only finished it to see if it was really as bad as I thought. It was. Martini has written good books so there is no real excuse for this one. Not recommended to anyone.
Heather Jenkins
Feb 04, 2015 Heather Jenkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pageturner

I was leery of reading a Steve Martini book that didn't involve Paul Madriani. I guess that's how I missed this when it first came out.
This is a story that starts off slow, but builds to some great anticipatory scenes. There is a good bit of confusion, but since it's somewhat of a mystery, confusion reigns.
I did enjoy the book, but I hope Steve stays with Madriani novels.
Jayne
Aug 20, 2012 Jayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not really sure which category this story fits into. Maybe a thriller?

Anyway, I was expecting something a bit more b-grade for some reason....possibly the cover, ha. Although I guess this is more of a 3 and a half star, than a 4.

It moves along at a good pace, and it kept me guessing to the end. It gives hints to who the baddy might be. There were only a couple of dumb things that happens, which I consider to be sloppy writing. Possible spoiler - If you are being absolutely anal about locking
Cynthia
Sep 09, 2015 Cynthia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book starts of great but then gets bogged down. There were several times when I almost gave up on it. Parts of it drag on and on. The lead character is a total ditz of a woman. She does things that no woman with half a brain would do. This was my first Steve Martini book and I am in no hurry to read his other stuff.
Wesnetz
This book seemed like an action movie script rather than a novel. A little too convoluted to keep my interest. But I appreciate the view into the politics of the publishing industry. It makes me wonder about how many incredible stories never see the light of day.
Jan
Oct 09, 2013 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abby is an author, she is also a lawyer, and working in a law firm that is downsizing. She confides in her close lawyer friend, that she has a firm offer for one of her books, but is going under the pen name of Gable Cooper,and is looking for
a actor to play the part of the author. The friend agrees to do all the legal paperwork.

She hires her "Gable Cooper" and her friend gets murder, also her friends ex-husband gets murdered, and then she is also almost murdered. Who dun it....when she finds h
Gerry
Apr 14, 2016 Gerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forty-something female writer makes a last effort at fame and fortune, fronting her novel with a handsome male posing as author -- until her own attorney/friend turns the tables on her.
Judy
Mar 27, 2015 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed. Quick fast paced story about an author posing as a man in order to sell her book. Of course love happens the lawyer has a dark side but happiness wins out
Pernilla
Mar 28, 2016 Pernilla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book I ever read by Steve Martini and it did not disappoint. Very entertaining from beginning to end. Can't wait to read another one of his thrillers.
Hildy Peterson
Grade: F
Ridiculous, over the top. Plot full of holes and irrational behavior. Couldn't waste my time finishing it. Is Steve Martini going the way of James Patterson?
Nafisah Abubakar
Edge of your seat suspense. Very tight plot, fun and sometimes funny. Mediocre ending. How could you end the book like that Mr. Martini?
Peggy
Apr 14, 2016 Peggy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I really did try but I just didn't like this book at all. It kept getting worse and worse. I hate to give up on a book so I read the first 11 chapters but I just couldn't stand it any more.
  • Pleading Guilty (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #3)
  • Degree of Guilt (Christopher Paget, #2)
  • The Tenth Justice
  • The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4)
  • After Dark
  • Total Control
  • The Juror
  • Reversible Error (Butch Karp, #4)
  • The Vulture Fund
Steve Martini, a former lawyer, writes legal thrillers and mysteries. His "Paul Madriani" books are bestsellers.
More about Steve Martini...