A Code of Jewish Ethics: Volume 1: You Shall Be Holy

A Code of Jewish Ethics: Volume 1: You Shall Be Holy

4.52 of 5 stars 4.52  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A Code of Jewish Ethics, Volume 1: You Shall Be Holy is the initial volume of the first major code of Jewish ethics to be written in the English language. It is a monumental work on the vital topic of personal character and integrity by one of the premier Jewish scholars and thinkers of our time.

With the stated purpose of restoring ethics to its central role in Judaism, Ra...more
Published March 7th 2006 by Harmony

Robert
This is one of the most insightful and thought-provoking books I've read -- I read it years ago, just after my divorce, when I felt adrift.

I pick it up now and then and reread parts of it. There are some parts that seem unimportant, but there is a lot that is very important. It makes me think again about the intersection between Jewish and Christian ethics (and about their differences, which it tries to delineate); most importantly, it makes me think about what is important in the way a life is...more
David
A thought provoking book. Tells how Judaism deals with issues such as envy, greed, etc. I liked how the book gave present day stories, etc, in addition to ancedotes from the Bible.

It would have been nice to hear about present day Jews standing up for persecuted groups today, such as Muslims, and issues like divorce, but that might be for another book.
Lisa
I'm reading this to prepare myself for a new 7th grade class I'm teaching; it is fascinating so far! I particularly like how Telushkin differentiates between ritual observance and ethical observance: is a crooked businessperson who goes to services every week, keeps kosher, and celebrates every holiday an "observant" Jew? Teleushkin says no.
Damian
Mar 15, 2009 Damian added it
How to live an ethical life. One of the most practical religious books I've ever read. Its part of whats renewed my lifelong interest in Judaism.
Sari

Everyone should read this book. This to me is where spirituality is found...in the basic way we live our day to day lives.
Heather Schwartz
Clear and concise discussion of jewish ethics that are already discussed in many other places. A good "starter" book
Stephanie
Intensely informative.
Sunny
Really worth reading
Laura Anschel
Laura Anschel marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Mendy Levertov
Mendy Levertov marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Kakadu
Kakadu marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
JuliaC
JuliaC marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Mark
Mark is currently reading it
Apr 24, 2014
Tomáš Zemko
Tomáš Zemko marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Rikka Filkins bos
Rikka Filkins bos is currently reading it
Feb 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Associate of CLAL, the National Jewish Center for Learning and Leadership.
Ordained at Yeshiva University and Rabbi Telushkin pursued graduate studies in Jewish history at Columbia University.
More about Joseph Telushkin...
Jewish Literacy: The Most Important Things to Know about the Jewish Religion, Its People, and Its History Jewish Wisdom The Book of Jewish Values: A Day-by-Day Guide to Ethical Living Words That Hurt, Words That Heal: How to Choose Words Wisely and Well Biblical Literacy: The Most Important People, Events, and Ideas of the Hebrew Bible