Start by marking “The Backlash Mission (Blackcollar, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Backlash Mission (Blackcollar, #2)

The Backlash Mission (Blackcollar #2)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  363 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Blackcollars are a human task force designed to defeat alien Ryqril invaders. Backlash, the drug that improves their lifespan, speed, reflexes, and memory, has been all used up. Allen Caine and the Blackcollars seek the formula in the Aegis mountains, near Denver Colorado, deathtrap center of enemy territory.
Published September 2nd 1986 by DAW (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Backlash Mission, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Backlash Mission

Jean-Luc
When I said The Blackcollar was about ninjas in space, I left an important detail: anyone can obtain and learn to use ninja masks, ninja suits, shuriken, and nunchaku, so what separates a ninja from a ninja in space? Science!

In the first book, our hapless hero Allen Caine was counting on General Lepkowski to help him carry out General Kratochvil's secret plan. Then Caine learned Lepkowski was in New Karachi when the Ryquil incinerated it. We felt his hope deflate, and that pain recurred each tim
Dorian D-W
For fans of The Blackcollar, Backlash is an excellent follow-up novel.

There's more extraterrestrial espionage, ninjas and twisted loyalties as Allen Caine and his team return to Earth to seek the formula to turn them into proper Blackcollar warriors.

My main complaint with the book is the lack of character diversity. It was hard for me to differentiate between the various blackcollars, and it seemed to me that despite the whole point of the book being to find the body-and-mind-enhancing drug inte
Scott Wozniak
Caine is back, with the training as a Blackcollar (super soldier) but not the special drug to make him one. So his next mission in the fight against the aliens who conquered humanity is to find it.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't very good either. The action was well written and the dialogue believable but: 1) I didn't like the main character--too proud and bitter, and 2) There kept giving away the mystery--like having a scene from the bad guys perspective after the heroes wonder who might be out t
Mark
Timothy Zahn's Blackcollar series continues with the rebellion growing. Oh, it's still a quiet rebellion -- the Ryquil still rule the Terran Federation served by their "loyalty-conditioned" human puppets while the rest of the human population has settled into quiet acceptance of their fate. Everyone except the Blackcollars. Caine, the newest recruit, leads his first mission -- back to Earth to search for the formula to Backlash - the drug that gave the original Blackcollars their fearsome speed, ...more
Jason
Military fiction as a sequel to Blackcollar. This book was ok; Zahn writes some interesting characters but they never feel all the way developed. This is probably my least favorite Zahn series; his Conquerers series was good and the Star Wars books were great.
D.M. Dutcher
Book two in the Blackcollar series.

It's all right. It feels a little too convoluted for its own good, and you begin to wonder why the Ryquil continue to remain hands-off. More repetition than the first book too, as multiple teams of blackcollars wage several assaults before finally reaching their objective in the last 12% of the book. There's only so much nunchaku beats lasers and bluffing your way into control rooms you can take.

It's not bad though. Unlike Cobra, it seems to be more serious in
John
I have never read a book with more typos. Admittedly I read the Kindle version WHICH I PAID FOR! It looks like a low quality OCR job and no subsequent proof reading.

I expect better from Amazon.
Trisha
Great story

Exciting and fun continuation of the black collar series. More intrigue and some of the story line caught me by surprise!
Junius Johnson
As enjoyable as the first. Though not quite as subtle, it moves along at an excellent pace and doesn't wind up where you think it will. For those who enjoyed _Blackcollar_, it's a no brainer to carry on to the second book.
Kenneth Flusche
Excelant book, 2nd in series basically a continuation of book one, now finally I can finish book 3 started first and making no since. Want to thank Norfolk Public Library interlibrary loan department for making these two books available quickly enough to read.
Don
Jun 09, 2013 Don added it
Shelves: sci-fi
I didn't like this one as well as The Blackcollar (it's predecessor), but it was interesting to see where Zahn would take them. The twist at the end, though, was great and I hope the next one lives up to the possibilities now open to the Blackcollars.
Robert
A decent follow-up to the original. Basically a book about super ninjas ;) Not sure if there is another in the series, but I would love to read it if there is just for the sheer enjoyment factor.
Jacob
Decent. Plot was good, but its complexity and how characters came to conclusions were both a bit too unbelievable for me to think the book was fantastic
Patrick
It was OK. Like the first one you can see elements of this that were reused in his Star Wars books, most notably the storehouse of military secrets.
Penny
I'm really loving the Blackcollar series. The character's are extremely likable. Can't wait to finish book three.
Dhalia
Very readable. I'll finish the series.
Louise Mitchell
A little long-winded.
Daniel Cornwall
Daniel Cornwall marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Stefan Zoepfgen
Stefan Zoepfgen marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Brian Adams
Brian Adams is currently reading it
Dec 31, 2014
  • Fortune's Stroke (Belisarius, #4)
  • Starstrike
  • Starship: Pirate (Starship, #2)
  • The Best Military Science Fiction of the 20th Century
  • The Prince (Falkenberg's Legion, #1-4)
  • World Divided (The Secret World Chronicles, #2)
  • The Breaking of Northwall (The Pelbar Cycle, #1)
  • Some Golden Harbor (Lt. Leary, #5)
  • The Tuloriad (Posleen War: Sidestories, #3)
  • Empire's End (Sten, #8)
  • Wizard War
  • The Sardonyx Net
  • The Truth of Valor (Confederation, #5)
Timothy Zahn attended Michigan State University, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in physics in 1973. He then moved to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and achieved an M.S. degree in physics in 1975. While he was pursuing a doctorate in physics, his adviser became ill and died. Zahn never completed the doctorate. In 1975 he had begun writing science fiction as a hobby, and he bec ...more
More about Timothy Zahn...

Blackcollar (4 books)
  • The Blackcollar (Blackcollar, #1)
  • The Judas Solution (Blackcollar, #3)
  • Blackcollar Omnibus (Blackcollar, #1-3)
Heir to the Empire (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #1) Dark Force Rising (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #2) The Last Command (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #3) Specter of the Past (Star Wars: The Hand of Thrawn, #1) Vision of the Future (Star Wars: The Hand of Thrawn, #2)