Start by marking “The Backlash Mission (Blackcollar, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Backlash Mission (Blackcollar, #2)

The Backlash Mission (Blackcollar #2)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  476 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Blackcollars are a human task force designed to defeat alien Ryqril invaders. Backlash, the drug that improves their lifespan, speed, reflexes, and memory, has been all used up. Allen Caine and the Blackcollars seek the formula in the Aegis mountains, near Denver Colorado, deathtrap center of enemy territory.
Published September 2nd 1986 by DAW (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Backlash Mission, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Backlash Mission

Jean-Luc
Dec 26, 2014 Jean-Luc rated it it was amazing
When I said The Blackcollar was about ninjas in space, I left an important detail: anyone can obtain and learn to use ninja masks, ninja suits, shuriken, and nunchaku, so what separates a ninja from a ninja in space? Science!

In the first book, our hapless hero Allen Caine was counting on General Lepkowski to help him carry out General Kratochvil's secret plan. Then Caine learned Lepkowski was in New Karachi when the Ryquil incinerated it. We felt his hope deflate, and that pain recurred each tim
Dorian D-W
Sep 28, 2014 Dorian D-W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For fans of The Blackcollar, Backlash is an excellent follow-up novel.

There's more extraterrestrial espionage, ninjas and twisted loyalties as Allen Caine and his team return to Earth to seek the formula to turn them into proper Blackcollar warriors.

My main complaint with the book is the lack of character diversity. It was hard for me to differentiate between the various blackcollars, and it seemed to me that despite the whole point of the book being to find the body-and-mind-enhancing drug inte
Scott Wozniak
Nov 09, 2014 Scott Wozniak rated it liked it
Caine is back, with the training as a Blackcollar (super soldier) but not the special drug to make him one. So his next mission in the fight against the aliens who conquered humanity is to find it.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't very good either. The action was well written and the dialogue believable but: 1) I didn't like the main character--too proud and bitter, and 2) There kept giving away the mystery--like having a scene from the bad guys perspective after the heroes wonder who might be out t
Mark
Sep 14, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it
Timothy Zahn's Blackcollar series continues with the rebellion growing. Oh, it's still a quiet rebellion -- the Ryquil still rule the Terran Federation served by their "loyalty-conditioned" human puppets while the rest of the human population has settled into quiet acceptance of their fate. Everyone except the Blackcollars. Caine, the newest recruit, leads his first mission -- back to Earth to search for the formula to Backlash - the drug that gave the original Blackcollars their fearsome speed, ...more
Brian
Jun 30, 2015 Brian rated it liked it
If you're only going to read one novel about chemically-enhanced space ninjas using throwing stars to fight giant extraterrestrial warrior cat invaders, don't make it this one, because this is the second in a trilogy.

If, however, you're going to read TWO books in that genre, definitely make this one your second, because your enjoyment of the third book, should you decide to read it, really depends on some familiarity with this book.
Jason
Aug 31, 2014 Jason rated it liked it
Military fiction as a sequel to Blackcollar. This book was ok; Zahn writes some interesting characters but they never feel all the way developed. This is probably my least favorite Zahn series; his Conquerers series was good and the Star Wars books were great.
D.M. Dutcher
Book two in the Blackcollar series.

It's all right. It feels a little too convoluted for its own good, and you begin to wonder why the Ryquil continue to remain hands-off. More repetition than the first book too, as multiple teams of blackcollars wage several assaults before finally reaching their objective in the last 12% of the book. There's only so much nunchaku beats lasers and bluffing your way into control rooms you can take.

It's not bad though. Unlike Cobra, it seems to be more serious in
John
Feb 08, 2014 John rated it liked it
I have never read a book with more typos. Admittedly I read the Kindle version WHICH I PAID FOR! It looks like a low quality OCR job and no subsequent proof reading.

I expect better from Amazon.
Trisha
Aug 31, 2014 Trisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story

Exciting and fun continuation of the black collar series. More intrigue and some of the story line caught me by surprise!
Mazzy Maslankowski
Feb 01, 2015 Mazzy Maslankowski rated it liked it
Just as fun as the first one. It's ninja space commandos, if that sounds good to you, try it out.
Junius Johnson
Apr 14, 2014 Junius Johnson rated it it was amazing
As enjoyable as the first. Though not quite as subtle, it moves along at an excellent pace and doesn't wind up where you think it will. For those who enjoyed _Blackcollar_, it's a no brainer to carry on to the second book.
Kenneth Flusche
Dec 23, 2012 Kenneth Flusche rated it it was amazing
Excelant book, 2nd in series basically a continuation of book one, now finally I can finish book 3 started first and making no since. Want to thank Norfolk Public Library interlibrary loan department for making these two books available quickly enough to read.
Don
Jun 09, 2013 Don added it
Shelves: sci-fi
I didn't like this one as well as The Blackcollar (it's predecessor), but it was interesting to see where Zahn would take them. The twist at the end, though, was great and I hope the next one lives up to the possibilities now open to the Blackcollars.
Robert
May 01, 2012 Robert rated it liked it
A decent follow-up to the original. Basically a book about super ninjas ;) Not sure if there is another in the series, but I would love to read it if there is just for the sheer enjoyment factor.
Jacob
Feb 19, 2014 Jacob rated it liked it
Decent. Plot was good, but its complexity and how characters came to conclusions were both a bit too unbelievable for me to think the book was fantastic
Patrick
It was OK. Like the first one you can see elements of this that were reused in his Star Wars books, most notably the storehouse of military secrets.
Penny
Jun 22, 2013 Penny rated it it was amazing
I'm really loving the Blackcollar series. The character's are extremely likable. Can't wait to finish book three.
Dhalia
Mar 01, 2015 Dhalia rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Very readable. I'll finish the series.
Louise Mitchell
Dec 11, 2013 Louise Mitchell rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A little long-winded.
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Candice
Candice rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Ben
Ben added it
Apr 28, 2016
Andrew M Conrad
Andrew M Conrad rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Vladislav Lambov
Vladislav Lambov rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Ian Cruickshank
Ian Cruickshank marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Ozame
Ozame rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
David Lambert
David Lambert rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Ryan
Ryan added it
Apr 04, 2016
  • Starstrike
  • Empire's End (Sten, #8)
  • The Breaking of Northwall (The Pelbar Cycle, #1)
  • World Divided (The Secret World Chronicles, #2)
  • When the Tide Rises (Lt. Leary, #6)
  • Overkill (Orphan's legacy, #1)
  • Fortune's Stroke (Belisarius, #4)
  • Starship: Pirate (Starship, #2)
  • The Best Military Science Fiction of the 20th Century
  • Cloud Warrior (Amtrak Wars, #1)
  • The Tuloriad (Posleen War: Sidestories, #3)
  • Galactic Convoy
  • The Prince (Falkenberg's Legion, #1-4)
  • The Shadow of Saganami (Honorverse: Saganami Island #1)
  • Guardian of Night
  • Lightwing
Timothy Zahn attended Michigan State University, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in physics in 1973. He then moved to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and achieved an M.S. degree in physics in 1975. While he was pursuing a doctorate in physics, his adviser became ill and died. Zahn never completed the doctorate. In 1975 he had begun writing science fiction as a hobby, and he bec ...more
More about Timothy Zahn...

Blackcollar (4 books)
  • The Blackcollar (Blackcollar, #1)
  • The Judas Solution (Blackcollar, #3)
  • Blackcollar Omnibus (Blackcollar, #1-3)