Start by marking “In Love and War” as Want to Read:
In Love and War

In Love and War

A unique American chronicle of a navy family's life during the Vietnam war years, this widely acclaimed memoir has been updated to include an outspoken account of the Stockdale's experiences in the seventeen years since Jim's release from a Hanoi prison.
Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages
Published September 1st 1985 by Bantam Books (Mm) (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about In Love and War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Love and War

SteveR
Apr 17, 2008 SteveR rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
You may recall that the author, James Stockdale, was the vice presidential running mate of Ross Perot in the '90's. But Stockdale was a Viet Nam pilot and POW. This is an amazing story of his experience, and the experience of his wife - which was not as a simple pacifist. It even provides insight into Stockdale's experience with the Bay of Tonkin - which supposedly sparked US involved in the war. Great read!
Hai Quan
Dec 04, 2016 Hai Quan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hey fellow book reviewers : Most of you are brainwashed zombies. Most of you are well fed,well nourished, well sheltered dimwits who are living in a country that is exporting loathsome killing equipment and supplies to the whole world and reaping a colossal profit from it AND NONE OF YOU ARE AWARE OF THIS FACT.

It is a very ugly fact, and you perhaps won't admit or acknowledge it .Why would you want to admit you are drinking blood and eating human flesh every day , blood and flesh of not only fr
Isabel
Dec 10, 2012 Isabel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war
This was not quite what I'd expected. Having heard that it was about the correspondence between James and Sybil Stockdale during his incarceration in a prison camp, I thought it would be a collection of letters. Instead, it is a recounting of the ten years that J was in prison from the alternating perspectives of J in prison and S at home.

The whole thing was far less intense than I'd expected. There was very little drama, really. On Jim's end, the descriptions of his "quiz sessions" were very mi
Ella Olsen
Sep 28, 2016 Ella Olsen rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
I wouldn't have picked up this book if I wasn't forced to by my book club, however we are speaking to the son of the Admiral (which should be fantastic). Anyhow, this book is out of print, not available on Kindle, and the copy I got my hands on had print so small it blurred in and out of focus. Not to mention the story was extremely detail rich, which required skimming.

BUT - what a story!

Admiral Jim Stockdale was a POW from the beginning of the Vietnam war to nearly the end. This is a guy who
Dawn Michelle
Jan 16, 2008 Dawn Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I borrowed this review from Amazon because it says so much more than I could....GO READ THIS BOOK!!!
"Without a doubt the Stockdale's should be considered a national treasure becuase of the lives they lived under arduous circumstances and horrific conditions. None of us will every fully know or much less comprehend the extent of the mutual sacrifice from both Admiral and Sybil Stockdale in service to one another, other POW/MIA families, and their country. If you want inspiration, then read their
John
Jun 13, 2012 John rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a very emotional read as I considered the predicament of both husband and wife. Mrs. Stockdale is an amazing woman and in many ways her struggle was more difficult than Capt. James Stockdale.

In any event, they both are true American patriots who did what they did for their country. I like that both were not afraid to speak the truth.

Stockdale's account of his experiences before and after being shot down give a perspective on the Vietnam conflict not typical
Harriet Berg
Aug 15, 2016 Harriet Berg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This couple, Jim and Sybil Stockdale have written their story of sincere great love and passion for each other, as well as loyalty to the United States. Admiral Stockdale was a POW in North Vietnam for seven years, earning the award of Congressional Medal of Honor. Mrs. Stockdale, because of her hard work, funded primarily from her own pocket, in getting our POWs released, was awarded the Distinguished Public Service Award. How they each survived what they did is told in chapter by chapter by ...more
Justina
Apr 05, 2014 Justina rated it really liked it
Great book! Four stars because I wasn't as into the beginning (where they talked about growing up, and their lives before the war) and end (mostly the part about being president of the Citadel), and the writing wasn't amazing, but overall a great read. My father-in-law was a helicopter pilot for the Southern Vietnamese Military, and several of his/our relatives were imprisoned for many years, so it was fascinating to read about prison life in Hanoi. Though I'm sure the Vietnamese prisoners were ...more
Dec 27, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
Amazing story- definitely one worth reading; I finally feel like I have a grasp on what started the Vietnam war. If you are a pilot, you will appreciate all the flying details. However, I found myself searching for more details and pictures on the Hanoi prison. How big were the cells? What did they look like? What did the "leg stocks" look like/how did they work? I would have loved sketches describing the physical aspects of the book. I literally can't imagine living as a POW for 8 years. I have ...more
Tayla
Dec 16, 2009 Tayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone/military personnel and their spouses
This book is a wonderful look at the lives of two truly amazing people and the ordeal that made them an even stronger couple than they already were. Jim and Sybil Stockdale are inspirational and astonishing in their devotion to each other and to serving their country. Jim was held as a POW during the Vietnam War and Sybil working with wives groups at home to advocate for the men being held and their families. It's a great book to read if life seems overwhelming. Puts it all in perspective.
Cindy
Sep 02, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this for a project at work. Very interesting memoirs of a Navy pilot shot down over Vietnam in 1965 and his wife back home in California raising four young sons on her own. Jim Stockdale was a POW for 8 years and the most senior Navy officer prisoner in Hanoi. While he was being brutally tortured, his wife Sybil was at home advocating for our government to do something to help these servicemen. Both displayed amazing courage and hope in the midst of dire circumstances.
Carolina
Mar 03, 2010 Carolina rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. The love between the Stockdale's was an incredible read. Sybil is such a strong woman to fight against the anti-war movement to draw attention to the reality of POW's. Jim Stockdale is beyond hero in my estimation. The man figured out how to live through his 8 year imprisonment/torture/personal war of survival. He served well beyond honor. Every American should read this book, if for no other reason than to thank the Universe for soldiers like Mr. Stockdale.
Patty
Mar 19, 2008 Patty rated it it was amazing
I read this book years ago. One I would recommend to all. It is a true story of Vice Admiral Stockdale (recently died I think last year) and his wife. They write alternating chapters of their lives when he was a POW (and the highest ranking officer captured) in the Hanoi Hilton and she is at home with their children keeping the hope alive. It is an unforgettable story.
Lorianne
This book gave me strength to get through my life which seemed very lonely and difficult. It showed me that there are ALWAYS people whose life is more difficult and if Jim and Sybil could do what they did, then surely I could deal with my life. I personally have met them which made their story more real to me. Best book I ever read!
Benjamin
Feb 29, 2008 Benjamin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
An interesting read. Alternating chapters written by Admiral Stockdale (the highest ranking officer in the POW camps during Vietnam) and his wife back home trying to get information from the government as to his status.
Jane Mathews
May 18, 2014 Jane Mathews rated it it was amazing
Love the perspectives of this true story. Every other chapter is written by the husband, and then the wife. Most of it while Jim was a prisoner of war and some of it in the form of their letters back and forth to each other.
Richard
Feb 25, 2009 Richard rated it really liked it
I read this shortly after the Viet Nam war. I thank Stockdale for sharing with us the events and challenges of being a prisoner war for several years. I have great respect for what those men went through, and yet how strengthed they were by the experience. I would recommend this book.
Diane Wachter
In Love & War, Jim & Sybil Stockdale, RDC-M V 3 1985, 7/92. The true story of a family's ordeal and sacrifice during the Vietnam War when Jim was a prisoner of war and Sybil was fighting to get his release. Good.
Michael
Jun 22, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing
A remarkable book about being a prisoner of war and the life that husband & wife endured during that time. I really enjoyed this book.
Peggy Howard
Mar 09, 2014 Peggy Howard rated it really liked it
Stockdale was from Abingdon IL & a cousin to Bobby Dunlap, a church member at Coldbrook Christian Church
Sheik
Mar 28, 2009 Sheik rated it it was amazing
Vietnam was a FRAUD....our first war without just cause. Just read the first 23 pages...it's all there. Hey Hey LBJ How many kids did you kill today?
Mar 27, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
A truly incredible memoir from a Vietnam War hero. I read this after reading about Jim Stockdale in Good to Great by Jim Collins. Leadership lessons from one of the best.
Preston
Dec 26, 2014 Preston rated it really liked it
Great account of early Vietnam conflict, a POW, and his wife at home.
I enjoyed the book for its insights into how the war started and POW life.

Luke
Feb 23, 2011 Luke rated it really liked it
A beautiful story of sacrifice and hope by both a navy pilot who was shot down in Vietnam and was in a prison camp for 7 years and his wife back home.
Anne
Mar 07, 2008 Anne rated it it was amazing
AMAZING... I'm still in awe at what this man accomplished for himself, his fellow prisoners and America while in solitary confinement for 8 years in a Hanoi Prison
April
Apr 01, 2009 April rated it liked it
I liked it. Not the greatest feat of literary achievement ever, but interesting (once you make it past Sybil's first chapter). I found myself sucked in.
Ann
Ann rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2013
Betty
Betty rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2012
Mike Cocke
Mike Cocke rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • When Hell Was in Session
  • The Passing of the Night: My Seven Years as a Prisoner of the North Vietnamese
  • Meantime:  The Aesthetics of Soldiering
  • War Junkie
  • Soldier Five: The Real Truth About The Bravo Two Zero Mission
  • Combat Ready
  • Exit Wounds - One Australian's War On Terror
  • Courage Under Fire: Testing Epictetus's Doctrines in a Laboratory of Human Behavior
  • Kill or Capture: How a Special Operations Task Force Took Down a Notorious al Qaeda Terrorist
  • Sympathy for the Devil
  • Beaufort
  • My War: Killing Time in Iraq
  • Thunder Run: The Armored Strike to Capture Baghdad
  • Living with Honor: A Memoir by America's First Living Medal of Honor Recipient Since the Vietnam War
  • Transforming Leadership