Start by marking “If Kisses Were Colors” as Want to Read:
If Kisses Were Colors

If Kisses Were Colors

If kisses were colors you'd see every one
of the bands of a rainbow that shines in the sun.

Perfect as a Mother's Day or baby shower gift, this tender book expresses the immeasurable love that parents have for their children-warmer than a wool blanket, sturdier than an oak tree, brighter than a rainbow. It's a sentiment that will soothe and delight the adults as well as thei
Published March 31st 2003 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about If Kisses Were Colors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Kisses Were Colors

Carol
Nov 24, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, the perfect gift for a baby shower.
Heather Russell
Jul 11, 2008 Heather Russell rated it really liked it
Ethan likes this book!
Kathleen Dixon
I'm not an overly sentimental type of person, and I guess that's why this book doesn't get a higher rating from me, because it's very sentimental. I think if it was in a compendium of nursery rhymes then I'd appreciate it more - it is very sweet, but as a whole book I find it a bit much. On the other hand, I do really like the style of illustration in this book, which is probably why I bought it in the first place.

Zenobia, who is the reason we read this book (for her ZENOBIA Book Challenge "I"),
Rachel
Apr 21, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Honestly I gave this book five stars because I love the artwork with its crackled aged look. I first discovered Alison Jay while I was taking a Children's Literature class and needed an ABC book (Her's is really good). So when I saw this at the book sale today, I decided to give it a try. It's an ode from a parent to her child and has some really adorable illustrations. It compares kisses to raindrops, pebbles, acorns, comets, flowers and blankets. It is through them she shows her baby how much ...more
Krys (Black & Write Reviews)
Very cutesy little story for any little one to enjoy as their falling asleep. A non-specific topic except an admittance of the love for one to another.

The nice thing about the repetitive lyrics is the fact that it's a boardbook. What's so special about boardbooks? Well it's the fact that baby can chew on it and mum doesn't have to worry about how much they paid for it. Inexpensive is the point I'm getting at, that's the bonus part!

The colors are shades of pastel which almost demonstrates a sooth
Olivia Rowley
Nov 23, 2013 Olivia Rowley rated it it was ok
This book was a very sweet book about the amazing love a mother has for her child and how it is immeasurable. It describes that if kisses were colors, you would see rainbows everywhere and if kisses were pebbles, you would have a beach full of pebbles. It is a great book and if you are a mother it is extremely relatable. It has very good and different illustrations. It is also a rhyming book.
Emily Levings
Mar 29, 2014 Emily Levings rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed-t-l-2368
Lawler, J. & Jay, A. (2003). If Kisses Were Colors. NY: Dial Books.

This book would be a good book to read to a child before bed. This book conveys how much a parent loves their child. I think this book would be great for kids ages 3-4, that way the kids are old enough to understand the words, but not quite old enough to read. I loved this book because it shows a parents love while using analogies that kids may understand.
Connie
Nov 15, 2009 Connie rated it really liked it
This is just an ode to babies and kissable feet, isn't it? It's full of poetic descriptions of what the world would be like if kisses were something else - and how you could *see* how many there are, because parents don't just stop kissing and loving their kids.

Beautiful artwork (well, of course, it's Alison Jay!), and a sweet story. I easily recommend it as a new-baby present, or a first birthday gift for your own kiddo.
Nancy
Feb 25, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Beautiful folk art illustrations by Alison Jay are used to tell the story of how important and wondrous kisses can be. Whether it kisses are pebbles on the beach or flowers in a garden or even acorns that grown into beautiful oak trees, they represent a tangleable thing that have lasting impact.

Read this wonderful book to your young one and tell them that as Janet Lawler said:

If kisses were blankets
You’d always be warm
Wrapped up from the cold
During winter’s worst storm
Karen
May 06, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing
This book is sweet without being precious.

The text is truly lovely. It reads with a soft lilting rhythm, and contains some beautiful word choices.

The artwork, however, is why I picked up this book and why I loved it. It is wonderful retro and timeless, all at once. It is beautiful and humorous. It elevates and enhances the text.
Janice
Jun 15, 2011 Janice rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
Kisses are shared freely at my house, especially with my little ones. This is a fun book that makes me want to go home and shower my little ones with kisses again and again. A fun read for parents and children to do together or children on their own. Reading level is 4 years and up.
LINDA
Jul 25, 2008 LINDA rated it really liked it
A very sweet book to let your littel one know that your love is all round them, even when you physically are not right there. Would be a comforting book to read to give a positive lesson about your Love to a child before you would be going away for any amount of time.
Amber
Jun 26, 2008 Amber rated it it was ok
Shelves: cartoon-books
This is a book that rhymes. I'm not a huge fan of books that rhyme, but i liked this book. The illustrations were created using alkyd oil paint on paper with crackling varnish. To make them look very old.
Megan
Sep 17, 2015 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I bought this book for my daughter for Valentine's Day. She's only 1 and not yet really following stories/books, but I loved this one. It is so sweet, and, I would say, unique. If I could, I'd read it to her several times a day!
Susan
Sep 02, 2008 Susan rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books-jp
A sweet book with Janet Lawler's attractive folk art style illustrations (including a really nice drawing of an acorn).
sunshyne66
Jan 16, 2011 sunshyne66 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Beautiful art, and beautiful sweet poem... I still read it to my sons nearly every night. They love it, and so do I... :)
Boi
Oct 19, 2008 Boi rated it really liked it
This book takes you into a whimsical world and is a lovely treat for mother and child. A great story that expresses a mother's love for her child.
Katie
Apr 09, 2008 Katie rated it really liked it
I read this book to Mia every night, it's one of her favorites! I've got it memorized by now. I love the message.
Amanda
Jan 08, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it
This is a sweet book to read with a little one. Very smooshy and lovey, perfect for bedtime cuddles. The pictures are also beautiful with soft colors and an old fashioned crackled look.
Mel
Dec 23, 2007 Mel rated it it was amazing
Not only is this book beautifully illustrated, but it sends a great message to little ones regarding the endless love parents have for their children.
Amy
Nov 01, 2008 Amy rated it liked it
Beautiful illustrations -
Maybe it's my mood today, but the poem did not catch my attention. The book left me slightly bored, which would make it difficult to share with a child.
Hannah
Apr 29, 2010 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This was the first book I read to both my boys when they were born. It has such a sweet message and the illustrations are beautiful.
Nashiea Edmiston
A rhyming book using metaphors to express the depth of love felt towards their child. A quick read, lovely pictures, and rhyme, preschoolers will love it.
Erin
Jan 13, 2009 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Beautifully illustrated, rhyming text - musing on the world and love. Better than most of these "sweet" love books to babies and children.
Meg McGregor
Jun 28, 2013 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-lexi
A perfect book for any mother, mother-to-be, grandmother, etc. Kisses are compared to flowers, colors, comets, raindrops, and more.
Sharai
Mar 21, 2012 Sharai rated it it was amazing
Poetic and lyrical book about the love of a parent to a child
Emma Terronez
Emma Terronez rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Allyson D. Zipp
Allyson D. Zipp rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Josephine Janine
Josephine Janine rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2014
ankimno Novakowski
ankimno Novakowski rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2014