Start by marking “Shadow Child: An Apprenticeship in Love and Loss” as Want to Read:
Shadow Child: An Apprenticeship in Love and Loss

Shadow Child: An Apprenticeship in Love and Loss

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  4 reviews
In this perceptive, profoundly moving meditation on love and loss -- and the often poignant connection between the two -- Beth Powning shares the lessons that time and nature have taught her.Like many young women with career ambitions in the redefining 1960s, Beth Powning struggles with the decision as to whether, and when, she should start a family, although eventually he ...more
Published April 30th 2000 by Carroll & Graf Publishers (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow Child

Renee
My favorite type of writing all combined: a good story, a mother's memoir written with gorgeous metaphor, lyrical prose, all grounded in nature and beauty. I read this with commonplace book in hand and savor each word. A Canadian Katrina Kenison. 6/5.
Mandy
Dec 19, 2012 Mandy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: grief
As I finished this book, I found myself thinking, "I'll need to read this book again someday." There are many layers here, not just about the loss of a child, but about being a woman, being creative, and what it means to live in the wake of that loss.
Stephanie
I had this book in my possession (borrowed) for over a month before I could gather the courage to actually read it. At first I thought it was rather self indulgent and the language too pretty, but I think I was mostly scared to read what was there. But a day of waiting with no other distractions got me started and once I got past the idyllic childhood section I got hooked into her story - I think it starts off as "I was a smart and precocious child..." which really put me off until she starts wr ...more
Sara
I resonated with this writer far more than any other I've read. She generously invites her readers into her life of grief and healing.
Martha
Martha marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Jen McLeod
Jen McLeod marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
allisonclaire
allisonclaire is currently reading it
May 25, 2015
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Leah Colbeck
Leah Colbeck marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Rochelle
Rochelle marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Rachael Steil
Rachael Steil marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Laurel
Laurel added it
Jun 17, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Darcy
Darcy marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Katie Bell
Katie Bell marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Susan Maldrie
Susan Maldrie marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Beth Powning was born in a small town in Connecticut. She attended E.O. Smith High School, and Sarah Lawrence College, where she majored in creative writing. Powning moved to New Brunswick, Canada in 1970.

Powning's work has been widely published in books, anthologies, and magazines. She is known for her lyrical, powerful writing and the profound emotional honesty of her work.

Beth Powning's novel,
More about Beth Powning...
The Sea Captain's Wife The Hatbox Letters A Measure of Light Home: Chronicle of a North Country Life Edge Seasons: A Mid-life Year