Start by marking “Octopussy” as Want to Read:
Octopussy

Octopussy (James Bond Graphic Novels #2)

3.64  ·  Rating Details ·  1,339 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
When an old friend's body is found in the Alps 20 years after he disappeared, James Bond quickly finds himself caught between Nazi gold, the Chinese Tongs and the eight-armed embrace of Octopussy!
Published June 1st 2004 by Titan Books (first published January 1st 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Octopussy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Octopussy

Richard Derus
Aug 18, 2013 Richard Derus rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5* of five

For clarity's sake, I'll remind the assembled company that I'm reviewing the 1983 Eon-produced film, not the story from the collection of the title. Because really there's no connection between the two to speak of, except Octopussy (Maud Adams from the far-worse The Man With The Golden Gun) herself, and a swift recap by Bond and Octopussy of the story as they're out walking on her girl-island.

A paranoid Cold War fantasy of nuclear war. It got old,fifty years on. Plenty of cha
Ian
Apr 14, 2014 Ian rated it liked it
I'll be perfectly honest, I picked this one mainly because it's really short and I'm way behind on my 50-books-a-year pledge. Sue me.

Actually, this is the better of the bond novels I've read. Really, it's three short stories. Frankly, I like it better this way, there's less filler. Yes, a short 90-page thriller can have filler in it.

My favorite part of these books is finding out how different they are from the movies. Usually, they're hardly anything alike. Moonraker doesn't involve colonizing t
Dave Morris
Jun 26, 2008 Dave Morris rated it really liked it
I read this because I'd seen the new Sebastian Faulks Bond novel and I was thinking, "Did Fleming really have these long, tedious scenes where Bond natters to his housekeeper about the latest fashions in 1960s pop music?" Well, of course he didn't. Fleming wrote in lean, unsentimental prose with flashes of the kind of startling character insight that makes a good action thriller worthwhile. Most importantly, his Bond is an adult - read some of the original novels and then the new one, and you'll ...more
Dibyajyoti Sarma
Sep 03, 2014 Dibyajyoti Sarma rated it liked it
I started reading the slim volume because of my love for the hazy memory about the film. Octopussy is not a typical bond novel, but a very short story, which I finished in half a day. But where is Octopussy as a woman, where is Udaipur, where are the jewels, where is James Bond to start with? There is, however, a reference to Faberge Egg, in another story in the collection, Property of a Lady, which is also a very quaint tale, full of pathos about cold war era politics, and it involves a auction ...more
Gavin Felgate
Sep 09, 2014 Gavin Felgate rated it really liked it
This was my first Bond novel ever, after finding it on my bookshelf and not knowing where I got it from.

The main story, Octopussy was different from how I expected, and maybe there are other Bond novels like this, but I noticed that James Bond himself barely appeared. Instead, the book introduces Major Dexter Smythe, who as we learn is a bad guy (a gold smuggler, as it turns out) who was foiled by 007 himself.

The story of how this happened is then told in flashback, and I found it thrilling once
Kathy
Feb 02, 2008 Kathy rated it really liked it
Fleming's last entry in the Bond series is a collection of three short stories which appear to have been written earlier than The Man with the Golden Gun but collected after its publication (and yes I know I could look all of that up but I'm not gonna).

I was surprised at how much I preferred Fleming in smaller doses. I genuinely enjoyed Octopussy (although I hate the film, which is new material written around its namesake and The Property of a Lady, also from this collection and which I also enj
Curtiss
Mar 25, 2008 Curtiss rated it really liked it
I got this at a used book store along with all the other Ian Fleming 007 stories. It was without doubt the best literary "bang" for the buck I ever spent, since not only are they all terrific adventure yarns with exotic travelog locales, but i only paid half the 60-cent cover price for those early Fawcett Crest editions.

In the movie, "Octopussy", the exotic species of octopus as well as the story of Bond's generosity en-extremis toward Octopussy's father, are both found in this Ian Fleming 007 a
Sean Wylie
Feb 09, 2015 Sean Wylie rated it liked it
A collection of short stories pulled from Ian Fleming's notes after his death. They are ok. These three stories are not the grand adventures of the novels, but instead the day-to-day workings of espionage. The writing is good, the scenes painted by Fleming excellent, however they are lacking the clever touch and grand scale that characterises some many of his novels. And the action is minimal. In fact Bond takes only a single shot during all three stories.

Octopussy is narrated by another with B
David Orphal
Jan 22, 2014 David Orphal rated it liked it
And… Done. That is all of the Ian Fleming James Bond books that I am going to read.

I refuse to read The Spy That Loved Me because in Fleming was so disappointed in the book and he asked that it never be reprinted after the first run. I will respect his wishes.

This last set of four short stories are pretty good. None of the stories have even the slightest resemblance to the later films of the same names, except for sharing titles.

Don't let the cheesy late 1980s and early 1990s films push you away
Niki
Jan 15, 2014 Niki rated it liked it
I liked this book even though Bond does not appear for very long. I especially liked the description of the class types of heavy drinkers. The Sanguine, Phlegmatic, Choleric and Melancholic. The Sanguine drunk goes gay(happy) to the point of hysteria and idiocy. The Phlegmatic sinks into a morass of sullen gloom. The Choleric is the is the fighting drunk of the cartoonists who spends much of his life in prison for smashing people and things, and the Mel Melancholic succumbs to self-pity, mawkish ...more
Lizabeth Tucker
May 20, 2015 Lizabeth Tucker rated it really liked it
James Bond

Crimes from the end of World War II have come back to demand justice from retired Major Dexter Smythe, courtesy of James Bond. Smythe has just one more task to complete before he must decide whether to take the “gentleman’s exit”.

Very little Bond in this one. Definitely no sexy women or super villains, just one sad and lonely man already facing death due to a bad heart. 4 out of 5.
Quiet
Apr 17, 2016 Quiet rated it did not like it
Three very short stories that are 1) Predictable, and 2) Nothing else.

Very basic stories who are so predictable you'll be surprised when your prediction comes true, and not in a fun way.

Honestly nothing else to be said. Very short, and almost void of any content.

If it wasn't for the rather nice descriptions of fish and scubaing in the title story, Octopussy, I'd say this book is worth a half-star, no more. Still, it isn't worth the time or money.
Krista
Sep 16, 2009 Krista rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
This short story was pleasantly surprising. I thought that Flemming's books would feature a lot more outdated language and ignorance, but except for the common use of the word "Ticketty-boo" it was a story that was fun to read and had only a few lines about Bond, James Bond.
Brittney Crisera
Mar 17, 2016 Brittney Crisera rated it really liked it
If you to take a peek into the childhood of James Bond, this is the book. It's a VERY quick read, but intriguing story and brings to light a lot of relevant themes in the most recent 007 movie (Spectre).
Stewart Harding
Nov 01, 2012 Stewart Harding rated it it was ok
Shelves: classics
Kris Sterner
Sep 01, 2015 Kris Sterner rated it really liked it
Quite different from what I expected - as these are James Bond stories. They were really short and one had little or no involvement of Mr Bond. However - I was listening to this as read by Tom Hiddleston, so I enjoyed it. He has a great voice, so a good listen.
Patrick
Again, a very different "James Bond" story, with Bond being merely an observer, a bystander, in the narrative.
Ann
Nov 30, 2014 Ann rated it really liked it
Listened to the audio book with Tom Hiddleston narrating. Marvelous story telling! Octopussy is one of Ian Fleming's best short stories!
Lucy Werner
Mar 06, 2012 Lucy Werner rated it liked it
Not the greatest graphic novel in history but you can see the little quirks that evolved into the bond we know and love today.
Jenna
Aug 05, 2012 Jenna rated it it was amazing
Actually, this book has 120 pages. Its short, but a good read. Full of action with extreme danger, and a heartless murder.
Manny
Feb 21, 2009 Manny rated it liked it
A collection of reasonably entertaining James Bond short stories. The title story has almost nothing to do with the movie, in case you're wondering.
Sabrina
Jan 25, 2015 Sabrina rated it liked it
I listened to the audiobook. The stories were good, but not what I was expecting of a James Bond story. What made this the best for me was listening to Tom Hiddleston read.
Jim Galford
Jim Galford rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2014
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2013
Mike Simpson
Mike Simpson rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2012
David
David rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2012
Albert Zambrano
Albert Zambrano rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2013
Jody Wry
Jody Wry rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2008
Erik
Erik rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2014
Zwsilverman
Zwsilverman rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2015
  • For Special Services (John Gardner's Bond, #2)
  • Zero Minus Ten
  • For Your Eyes Only: Ian Fleming and James Bond
  • Colonel Sun (James Bond, #15)
  • James Bond and Moonraker (Film-Script Adaptation)
Aka Hunter Adams, Victor Appleton II

Jim Lawrence has written fiction extensively for both children and adults in a variety of media: books, magazine articles, film and radio scripts, and comic strips, including "decision" strips. He estimates that he has written some sixty books of fiction, many of them under pen names for series like Tom Swift Jr. and Nancy Drew. His radio credits include weekly
More about Jim Lawrence...

James Bond Graphic Novels (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Man with the Golden Gun