Start by marking “On Church Leadership” as Want to Read:
On Church Leadership

On Church Leadership (A Book You'll Actually Read #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Mark Driscoll knows something about church leadership. He founded Mars Hill Church in Seattle in 1996, and it is now one of the fastest-growing and most prolific church-planting churches in America. Writing out of his personal experience and biblical conviction, Driscoll examines six important areas of church leadership, packing big truth into this little book, making it a ...more
Published June 9th 2008 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about On Church Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Church Leadership

A Dad After God's Own Heart by Jim GeorgeGod by Robert WoegerA Man After God's Own Heart by Jim GeorgeCrazy Love by Francis ChanWild at Heart by John Eldredge
Powerful Christian Books (Especially for Men)
18th out of 78 books — 73 voters
The Trellis And The Vine by Colin MarshallLife Together by Dietrich BonhoefferBrothers, We Are Not Professionals by John PiperTotal Church by Tim ChesterDangerous Calling by Paul David Tripp
Local Church
13th out of 54 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Steve Hemmeke
Driscoll summarizes church government and administration in this 100 page booklet.

Synopsis: Jesus is the head of the church. Elders are human leaders who follow Jesus and get others to, also. Women are not called to eldership for Biblical reasons. Deacons are helpers in the church to administer. Membership is important. Leadership teams need to vary their methods by the size of the church.

Pros:
Addresses elder training, relationships, conflict and duties in a thorough and practical way that doesn
Craig
Quick and helpful!
Adrienna
The introduction helped engage me into the reading and on church leadership to get a greater scope on the subject at hand. Then once I got to chapter 3, women in ministry, this is where things got a little territorial for me and baffled to see that elder-pastor role is not for women according to 1 Timothy 5:17. We know the scriptures about women being quiet in the church argument used so loosely in male-oriented churches, which didn't mean we would remain silent. We have to look at the Jewish cu ...more
Kurt
Like most of the other Driscoll books that I've read, a review of this book depends on whether I'm in a mood to be more aware of the Biblical accuracy of the opinions (which is impressive, with many footnotes and thorough explanations) or the smug and provocative tone in which they're presented. This is a small book which, while almost criminally overpriced, is well worth a read. Driscoll explains the roles of elders, deacons, and church members themselves, and he presents a membership covenant ...more
Nick
A few days ago the Sr. pastor at my church handed me his copy of this book and said, "Here's you another book to read to kind of show you where we're coming from." The elders have been working through this little book (almost a tract really) in order to shore up the Biblical foundations of how they lead our church. It seems that lately many reformed pastors are pulling away from Driscoll because of some of his theology. Some people throw out babies with bath water too. Personally, I found very l ...more
Becky
On Church Leadership is just one of a handful of books in a series entitled "A Book You'll Actually Read." It's designed to be read by 'regular' and 'ordinary' people in about an hour. And I must admit the format of the book is not intimidating. It's a little book. (Under 100 pages). Short. Sweet. To the point.

I knew this author was a kindred spirit of sorts when he mentioned this in the introduction, "You will not read a bunch of cute stories about bunny rabbits giving their lives to Jesus and
Sam
Jan 17, 2013 Sam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own, church
Great book. Expanded from a Mars Hill church booklet and published by Crossway. Great expos on elders (pastors) deacons (leaders/assistants) and membership, and women in ministry (a hot topic). This book is very cut and dry, but not too boring. As Mark himself puts it, this book will not have cute stories of sheep getting saved. Read it in 1 day, very short book 93 pages.
G.P. Hintz
Easy read. Profound scriptural wisdom. No fluff. Worth your time.
Jonathan
A short and worthwhile book on the scriptural organization of the local church, this former pamphlet pithily sets forth what is essential and what is practical. A 2 hour investment of time will be rewarded with useful information and practical application.
Bill
This is a good format for a book like this -- helpful biblical teaching on the topic, but easy to digest. I must say that it did take me a bit longer than the advertised 1 hour to finish it though!
Jason
A quick survey on principles of church leadership. Extremely practical without a lot of time spent on theological basis. I found it helpful, but there's areas here I would love to dig deeper on.
Ben Titsworth
Good stuff here! Some of the same stuff I have learned over the years but a good refresher into what a elder, deacon, member, woman, and leadership team looks like working together.
Rj Grunewald
About an hour read and simply describes church leadership, elders, and the structure of the church. It also looks at the biblical teachings of an male-eldership.
Jeremy Anderson
Like the "Little Big Books" I used to read as a child, this packs a ton of goodness in a little package. These are perfect quick wins to give to new Christians.
Emelia
Finally a great synopsis on Church leadership that makes sense. Worth having in your collection and for sharing with others who need direction on this topic.
Todd
Succint...clear...to the point...and funny (as Mark always is). I really like the way Mark brings it all back to the word "authority" ... how true and needed.
Ron Reffett
Great book on church leadership, can be read in a little over an hour. Great book for small groups or people who are entering into church leadership.
Aaron Thomas
I love these quick reads. Once again, Driscoll has some great and controversial thoughts (women in ministry) on church leadership.
Cody Hockin
Well, I actually read it! Very good information and has many verses to back up the biblical concepts talked about in the book!
Ben Kreps
Excellent: Clear, well-organized, easy to grasp and, at times, laugh out loud hilarious.
Job Dalomba
Some parts are good, some parts aren't very good. So 3 stars is about right.
Kim Pollard
nice, short, to the point read on church leadership. i like.
Aaron Carlberg
Great book on church structure and leadership qualifications.
Cheryl Reber
Apr 30, 2013 Cheryl Reber added it
Shelves: ministry
If you have read his other works, you probably can skip this one.
Brian Jennings
If you like Mark Driscoll then this won't disappoint.
Jay Risner
Nothing exciting, but good.
Daniel
Clear, concise, and Biblical.
Susan
Susan added it
Jan 11, 2015
  • Leaders Who Last
  • The Supremacy of Christ in a Postmodern World
  • Total Church: A Radical Reshaping Around Gospel and Community
  • Community: Taking Your Small Group off Life Support (Re:Lit)
  • Disciple: Getting Your Identity from Jesus
  • Manhood Restored: How the Gospel Makes Men Whole
  • An Unstoppable Force: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind
  • Unceasing Worship: Biblical Perspectives on Worship and the Arts
  • Simple Church: Returning to God's Process for Making Disciples

Mark A. Driscoll is the founder and teaching pastor of Mars Hill Church in Seattle, Washington, as well as the co-founder of the Acts 29 Church Planting Network where he also served as President for a short period. Driscoll continues to serve on the board of Acts 29. He has contributed to the "Faith and Values"
More about Mark Driscoll...

A Book You'll Actually Read (5 books)
  • On Who Is God?
  • On the New Testament
  • On the Old Testament
  • On the Grace of God
Real Marriage: The Truth about Sex, Friendship & Life Together Doctrine: What Christians Should Believe (RE: Lit) Death by Love: Letters from the Cross Vintage Jesus: Timeless Answers to Timely Questions Confessions of a Reformission Rev.: Hard Lessons from an Emerging Missional Church