Start by marking “On Church Leadership” as Want to Read:
On Church Leadership

On Church Leadership (A Book You'll Actually Read #1)

Mark Driscoll founded Mars Hill CHursh in Seattle in 1996 and it is now one of the fastest-growing and most prolific church-planting churches in America. Writing out of his personal experience and biblical conviction, Driscoll here examines six key areas of church leadership.
Published June 9th 2008 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about On Church Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Church Leadership

Steve Hemmeke
Jan 12, 2011 Steve Hemmeke rated it really liked it
Driscoll summarizes church government and administration in this 100 page booklet.

Synopsis: Jesus is the head of the church. Elders are human leaders who follow Jesus and get others to, also. Women are not called to eldership for Biblical reasons. Deacons are helpers in the church to administer. Membership is important. Leadership teams need to vary their methods by the size of the church.

Pros:
Addresses elder training, relationships, conflict and duties in a thorough and practical way that doesn
Craig
Mar 05, 2012 Craig rated it it was amazing
Quick and helpful!
Graham Heslop
Dec 07, 2016 Graham Heslop rated it liked it
Typical Driscoll: well argued, thoroughly biblical, and full of wisdom garnered through experience. I think that limiting how we speak about Christians into the three categories of elder, deacon, and saint is very helpful. However, on the issue of an elder-pastor (the leader among equals) I couldn't help but shudder, remembering what went at Mars Hill. That aside, this is a valuable resource and one I would readily put into the hands of my church.
Becky
Jan 20, 2009 Becky rated it liked it
On Church Leadership is just one of a handful of books in a series entitled "A Book You'll Actually Read." It's designed to be read by 'regular' and 'ordinary' people in about an hour. And I must admit the format of the book is not intimidating. It's a little book. (Under 100 pages). Short. Sweet. To the point.

I knew this author was a kindred spirit of sorts when he mentioned this in the introduction, "You will not read a bunch of cute stories about bunny rabbits giving their lives to Jesus and
Ben Adkison
Jan 23, 2016 Ben Adkison rated it really liked it
At 24church we 19re in the midst of restructuring things just a bit. We 19ve been focusing on membership and deacons especially. Currently our membership covenant is pretty low on expectations and accountability. This was not our original intent, but in an attempt to be grace-filled, I think we failed to hold our people to the high standards of Jesus. Similarly, we have not implemented deacons because we hated the stigma that the word 1Cdeacon 1D holds in many churches. Now, all that is in the m ...more
Nick
Mar 17, 2013 Nick rated it really liked it
A few days ago the Sr. pastor at my church handed me his copy of this book and said, "Here's you another book to read to kind of show you where we're coming from." The elders have been working through this little book (almost a tract really) in order to shore up the Biblical foundations of how they lead our church. It seems that lately many reformed pastors are pulling away from Driscoll because of some of his theology. Some people throw out babies with bath water too. Personally, I found very l ...more
Adrienna
The introduction helped engage me into the reading and on church leadership to get a greater scope on the subject at hand. Then once I got to chapter 3, women in ministry, this is where things got a little territorial for me and baffled to see that elder-pastor role is not for women according to 1 Timothy 5:17. We know the scriptures about women being quiet in the church argument used so loosely in male-oriented churches, which didn't mean we would remain silent. We have to look at the Jewish cu ...more
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 Kurt rated it really liked it
Like most of the other Driscoll books that I've read, a review of this book depends on whether I'm in a mood to be more aware of the Biblical accuracy of the opinions (which is impressive, with many footnotes and thorough explanations) or the smug and provocative tone in which they're presented. This is a small book which, while almost criminally overpriced, is well worth a read. Driscoll explains the roles of elders, deacons, and church members themselves, and he presents a membership covenant ...more
Jamie Hershberger
Aug 19, 2015 Jamie Hershberger rated it liked it
I read this book as a part of a fun "challenge" a local church plant is doing ("who will read more - men or women?") when I picked it up and saw it was a Driscoll book, I had a momentary pause, as I am unhappy with what I have been seeing and reading about his behaviour, of late.
That is the problem with this book, it is written with a pretty "hardline" approach - agree and "get on board" or the "bus" will run you over on its way by. I couldn't escape Driscoll himself as I read, even though his i
C.H.E. Sadaphal
Feb 13, 2015 C.H.E. Sadaphal rated it really liked it
The bottom line: A quick, easy, and comprehensive look into the Biblical and practical aspects of church leadership.

On Church Leadership was written for a church that lacked authority, formal leaders and structure. As a result, it is an effective guidebook to building and nurturing the people and superstructures necessary for a successful church by a pastor who has done it several times over.

The book begins with an Introduction that explains ... http://www.chesadaphal.com/church-lea...
Sam
Jan 17, 2013 Sam rated it liked it
Shelves: own, church
Great book. Expanded from a Mars Hill church booklet and published by Crossway. Great expos on elders (pastors) deacons (leaders/assistants) and membership, and women in ministry (a hot topic). This book is very cut and dry, but not too boring. As Mark himself puts it, this book will not have cute stories of sheep getting saved. Read it in 1 day, very short book 93 pages.
Jonathan
May 06, 2012 Jonathan rated it really liked it
A short and worthwhile book on the scriptural organization of the local church, this former pamphlet pithily sets forth what is essential and what is practical. A 2 hour investment of time will be rewarded with useful information and practical application.
Cody Hockin
Nov 10, 2012 Cody Hockin rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-books
Well, I actually read it! Very good information and has many verses to back up the biblical concepts talked about in the book!
Ron Reffett
Nov 01, 2009 Ron Reffett rated it really liked it
Great book on church leadership, can be read in a little over an hour. Great book for small groups or people who are entering into church leadership.
Rj Grunewald
Oct 21, 2008 Rj Grunewald rated it liked it
About an hour read and simply describes church leadership, elders, and the structure of the church. It also looks at the biblical teachings of an male-eldership.
Aaron Thomas
I love these quick reads. Once again, Driscoll has some great and controversial thoughts (women in ministry) on church leadership.
Emelia
Dec 14, 2010 Emelia rated it it was amazing
Finally a great synopsis on Church leadership that makes sense. Worth having in your collection and for sharing with others who need direction on this topic.
Ben Titsworth
Feb 04, 2011 Ben Titsworth rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Good stuff here! Some of the same stuff I have learned over the years but a good refresher into what a elder, deacon, member, woman, and leadership team looks like working together.
Jason
Dec 15, 2013 Jason rated it really liked it
A quick survey on principles of church leadership. Extremely practical without a lot of time spent on theological basis. I found it helpful, but there's areas here I would love to dig deeper on.
Todd
Jun 11, 2009 Todd rated it really liked it
Succint...clear...to the point...and funny (as Mark always is). I really like the way Mark brings it all back to the word "authority" ... how true and needed.
Jeremy Anderson
May 30, 2012 Jeremy Anderson rated it it was amazing
Like the "Little Big Books" I used to read as a child, this packs a ton of goodness in a little package. These are perfect quick wins to give to new Christians.
Bill
Jul 25, 2011 Bill rated it liked it
Shelves: ministry
This is a good format for a book like this -- helpful biblical teaching on the topic, but easy to digest. I must say that it did take me a bit longer than the advertised 1 hour to finish it though!
Dawn Hill
Dawn Hill rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2012
James Ritchie
James Ritchie rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2014
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2012
Derek Iannelli-Smith
Derek Iannelli-Smith rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2013
R. Woods
R. Woods rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2012
JD Thorne
JD Thorne rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2010
Chris Teien
Chris Teien rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2014
  • Disciple: Getting Your Identity from Jesus
  • Total Church: A Radical Reshaping Around Gospel and Community
  • Lost and Found: The Younger Unchurched and the Churches that Reach Them
  • The Supremacy of Christ in a Postmodern World
  • Community: Taking Your Small Group off Life Support (Re:Lit)
  • Redemption: Freed by Jesus from the Idols We Worship and the Wounds We Carry
  • Sticky Teams: Keeping Your Leadership Team and Staff on the Same Page
  • Gospel Coach: Shepherding Leaders to Glorify God
  • Church Planter: The Man, The Message, The Mission
  • Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus
  • Practical Theology for Women: How Knowing God Makes a Difference in Our Daily Lives
  • On Being a Pastor: Understanding Our Calling and Work
  • Why Johnny Can't Preach: The Media Have Shaped the Messengers
  • Making Vision Stick
  • Fusion: Turning First-Time Guests into Fully-Engaged Members of Your Church
  • Rid of My Disgrace: Hope and Healing for Victims of Sexual Assault
  • An Unstoppable Force: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind

Mark A. Driscoll is the founder and teaching pastor of Mars Hill Church in Seattle, Washington, as well as the co-founder of the Acts 29 Church Planting Network where he also served as President for a short period. Driscoll continues to serve on the board of Acts 29. He has contributed to the "Faith and Values"
More about Mark Driscoll...

A Book You'll Actually Read (5 books)
  • On Who Is God?
  • On the New Testament
  • On the Old Testament
  • On the Grace of God

“During the Protestant Reformation, the slogans sola Scriptura and prima Scriptura became popular to summarize this conviction; they mean Scripture alone is our highest authority. This should not be confused with solo Scriptura, which is the erroneous belief that truth is only to be found in Scripture and nowhere else. Scripture itself tells us that God reveals truth to us in such things as creation and our consciences, but that the beliefs we may subscribe to from such forms of lesser revelation are to be tested by Scripture.” 0 likes