Start by marking “On the Old Testament” as Want to Read:
On the Old Testament
Preview

On the Old Testament (A Book You'll Actually Read #4)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Mark Driscoll answers the nine most common questions about the Old Testament - questions about authorship, what Jesus says about the Old Testament, how the Old Testament books were chosen as Scripture, and more.
Published June 9th 2008 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about On the Old Testament, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Old Testament

The Invention of Christianity by Alexander DrakeMisquoting Jesus by Bart D. EhrmanThe Invention of Religion by Alexander DrakeJesus, Interrupted by Bart D. EhrmanA History of God by Karen Armstrong
Understanding the Bible
144th out of 172 books — 168 voters
Secrets of the Dry Bones by Susan RohrerIs God a Moral Monster? by Paul CopanThe Message of the Old Testament by Mark DeverOn the Old Testament by Mark DriscollGospel and Kingdom by Graeme Goldsworthy
Helpful Books on the Old Testament
4th out of 36 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

John Wiley
This past summer [2011] I had the opportunity to listen to probably at least 30 sermons while at work, many of which were preached by one of the most popular preachers, Mark Driscoll. Recently, I had the opportunity to read a short book he authored "On the Old Testament: A Book You'll Actually Read." It's part of a series of concise books about various Biblic al topics, done so in a very easy-to-read style. Here are a few observations of this book...
There were a few reasons why I purchased this
Kevin
A good help to get started on understanding the OT, but the length prevents it from being anything more than that. From what I understand, these small books started as pamphlets that were given out at Mars Hill Church. So it helps to realize that they were never meant to be more than that. I can imagine it would be a good resource for new believers just getting into Bible reading, if it's still possible to get your hands on any of these small books.
C.H.E. Sadaphal
The bottom line: A brief, concise introduction to the Old Testament that answers many common questions and provides a path for future study.

On the Old Testament can be thought of as a starter kit for anyone who wants to get serious about OT study. This book is not an all-inclusive guide that lays a foundation of biblical knowledge. It is a blueprint for further study ... http://www.chesadaphal.com/on-the-old...
Lisa
Great synopsis on what the Old Testament is, why it's important and how it fits into God's bigger picture!
Broc Christian
This was a great quick read on the basics of the Old Testament. He covers commonly asked questions about the OT and then goes into briefly explaining each book of the bible and how it relates to the rest of the Bible. Good reference for someone new to the Bible or a good review for Christians. I really like the end of the book because he gives a lot of study/references recommendations regarding other topics.
Amber
This book is "background" information on the OT, it's how the books were selected, how we know that they are biblical, highlights in the book as a whole, why the OT is important to us today, etc. It's a small book easy to read. I read it in about 2 hours.
Bill
Another helpful little book - filled me with a fresh desire to get into the Old Testament! A great book for a new Christian or someone who has never taken the Bible seriously before. And the appendix on 'Building a Theological Library' is a hidden gem.
Garrett
This is a great little book for anyone who wants a basic introduction to understanding the Old Testament. Mark Driscoll is awesome.
Paul
Jan 09, 2012 Paul added it
Shelves: theology, books-i-own
Great little concise book on the importance of the Old Testament, as well as good historical facts about it's creation.
Wade
This is a really good, and short, book that gives an overview of the entire Old Testament.
Brian
good introduction and will be a go-to resource for me/others.
Caroline Fontenot
Pretty interesting but more boring than I expected.
Kay Card
Kay Card marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Rik Eshuis
Rik Eshuis marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Mike
Mike added it
Feb 15, 2015
Nic Cook
Nic Cook marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
  • Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus
  • The Supremacy of Christ in a Postmodern World
  • The Good News We Almost Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a 16th Century Catechism
  • Leaders Who Last
  • Rid of My Disgrace: Hope and Healing for Victims of Sexual Assault
  • Disciple: Getting Your Identity from Jesus
  • The Gospel-Driven Life: Being Good News People in a Bad News World
  • According to Plan
  • God, Marriage, and Family: Rebuilding the Biblical Foundation
  • Living for God's Glory: An Introduction to Calvinism
  • Community: Taking Your Small Group off Life Support (Re:Lit)
  • Foundations of Grace, 1400 BC - AD 100 (A Long Line of Godly Men #1)
  • Holiness by Grace: Delighting in the Joy That Is Our Strength
  • Gospel Deeps: Reveling in the Excellencies of Jesus
  • The Gospel for Real Life: Turn to the Liberating Power of the Cross...Every Day
  • Total Church: A Radical Reshaping Around Gospel and Community
  • Christian Beliefs: Twenty Basics Every Christian Should Know
  • Commentary on Galatians

Mark A. Driscoll is the founder and teaching pastor of Mars Hill Church in Seattle, Washington, as well as the co-founder of the Acts 29 Church Planting Network where he also served as President for a short period. Driscoll continues to serve on the board of Acts 29. He has contributed to the "Faith and Values"
More about Mark Driscoll...

A Book You'll Actually Read (5 books)
  • On Church Leadership
  • On Who Is God?
  • On the New Testament
  • On the Grace of God
Real Marriage: The Truth about Sex, Friendship & Life Together Doctrine: What Christians Should Believe (RE: Lit) Death by Love: Letters from the Cross Vintage Jesus: Timeless Answers to Timely Questions Confessions of a Reformission Rev.: Hard Lessons from an Emerging Missional Church