Start by marking “Everyday Apocalypse: The Sacred Revealed in Radiohead, the Simpsons, and Other Pop Culture Icons” as Want to Read:

The term "apocalypse" usually evokes images of mass destruction-burning buildings and nuclear fallout, or even rapture and tribulation. Often, our attempts to interpret the imagery of the book of Revelation seem to carry us far away from our day-to-day existence.
David Dark challenges this narrow understanding in Everyday Apocalypse, calling his readers back to the root of
Published December 1st 2002 by Brazos Press

To ask other readers questions about Everyday Apocalypse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everyday Apocalypse

Rob
Jan 12, 2012 Rob rated it it was amazing
I've used this text with a number of different student groups and every time I re-read it, I am struck by new insights. The way Dark weaves the biblical narrative, vast pop culture references and particular cultural artifacts (Radiohead, Beck, The Simpsons, Coen Brothers films and more) is simply brilliant. I think my copy is entirely underlined at this point ...
Saellys
Oct 08, 2007 Saellys rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, music
Even after I rejected the notion that Christians should only ever listen to music that explicitly glorifies Jesus, I had this strange, lingering guilt whenever I listened to a song with a swear in it. Until I read this book, that is. Turns out Radiohead are prophets. Who'da thunk it?
Adriane Devries
Dec 31, 2015 Adriane Devries rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
David Dark’s name defies his mission: to bring to light that which is hidden. In his densely intellectual address of truth revealed in such pop culture icons as Beck, Radiohead, Homer Simpson, Coen brothers movies and more, he not only opens eyes to beauty cleverly—and purposely—hidden among seemingly mundane entertainments, but he also more aptly defines the very word apocalypse itself. Having come from the Middle English word for revelation, it is not always the cataclysmic end of the world co ...more
Randy
Really liked this book. I find everything that David Dark writes contains value and insight. He sees the sacred & the "Christ-haunted" revelations in popular culture and shares them with those of us who are too distanced & distracted from the world to engage with it. This book focuses on the need we have for apocalyptic vision & voices to disrupt, confront, shake us & wake us into transformation and into being prophetic presence and witness.

Robert Benson writes in "We Are All Apo
Longfellow
Apr 29, 2009 Longfellow rated it it was amazing
Read the Radiohead chapter, and it has influenced how I think about every Radiohead song I hear. Academic, moderately difficult read, but worth the time.

Update:
There's a difference between truth we identify with because we've experienced it and truth we recognize because it is explained to us. David Dark, for me, offers the latter type, and I'm digging it. It seems rare to discover someone who has this gift. Hence, I've updated my rating to 5 enthusiastic stars though I still have over half the
Andrea Blythe
Dec 01, 2011 Andrea Blythe rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
The first realization when reading this book is that David Dark presents an alternative meaning of apocalyptic literature. Apocalyptic in this case does not necessarily mean books that represent the end of the world. Instead it represents works (books, movies, music) and ideas that deconstruct and tear down our perceptions of the society (the machine) in which we live, so that we can reach a greater and deeper understanding of our self and the world, thus breaking free in a greater spiritual and ...more
Joel Geib
Aug 17, 2007 Joel Geib rated it really liked it
This book describes the scope of God's revelation as something encompassing all art. God revealing truths is in no way confined to any category or affiliation the creators of art/media -or anybody- gives it. New truths/revelation can be found in forms of media that were never intended to convey "christian" messages.

I like the way Dark dedicates entire chapters to focus his points on specific media (Simpsons, Flannery O'Conner, etc.). David Dark is awesome (in his writing, his speaking [at Calvi
Jon Beadle
Jan 04, 2016 Jon Beadle rated it it was amazing
It's rare for me to read a book that lifts me in a special way. This one not only did just that, it also disturbed me. How breathless I was all the way up to the final line. Enter if you dare!
Joel
Jan 24, 2008 Joel rated it really liked it
probably the best and well thought out summary of the idea of Christianity being "engaged" in pop culture. not that i really care about this all the time, but i think his idea of the apocalypse meaning redemption and Gods Kingdom being manifest in areas that are often considered "secular" or "non-Christian" by Christians is right on. plus its just cool to see how he sees truth and beauty in the radiohead and the cohen brothers etc.
Drew Downs
Oct 23, 2014 Drew Downs rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
Dense, yet accessible, David Dark has written a manifesto for making apocalyptic a normative experience of life and art. Arresting, but ultimately hopeful and inspiring, -Everyday Apocalypse- is a fantastic read, which benefits from savoring, rather than racing through.
jeremy
Aug 02, 2007 jeremy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jimmy or Skeeter
There is no such thing as secular. (See Alexandr Schmemenn). All things/people are sacred or profane- usually both. Good read for Christians who are beginning to actually think. (p.s. the fish emblem doesn't make your car bulletproof or keep you from driving like an idiot.)
Effie
Aug 29, 2007 Effie added it
where IS interface between church and culture to be found? does it exist? David Dark says YES, and what's more: there is not a single secular molecule in the universe. hallelujah.
Steve
Sep 21, 2008 Steve rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
This man is an absolute genius. Everyone on the planet should read this book.
Kevin
Oct 17, 2014 Kevin rated it really liked it
David Dark is a man who knows his way around a sentence.
Tom
May 29, 2007 Tom rated it it was ok
Some interesting ideas, but it feels a little stiff.
Sean
Mar 26, 2009 Sean marked it as to-read
NULL
Zara Dumitru
Zara Dumitru is currently reading it
Sep 25, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Raleigh Meier
Raleigh Meier marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Andrew Roberson
Andrew Roberson marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Amandak
Amandak marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Gabe
Gabe rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Sami Eerola
Sami Eerola marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Frankie Puddleduck
Frankie Puddleduck marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Essie_webberme.Com
Essie_webberme.Com marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Damon Bauer
Damon Bauer marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
April Haugen
April Haugen marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Carl Taylor
Carl Taylor marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Kate
Kate added it
Jun 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Body Piercing Saved My Life: Inside the Phenomenon of Christian Rock
  • Through a Screen Darkly: Looking Closer at Beauty, Truth and Evil in the Movies
  • The Secret Message of Jesus: Uncovering the Truth That Could Change Everything
  • Executing Grace: How the Death Penalty Killed Jesus and Why It's Killing Us
  • 20 Hot Potatoes Christians Are Afraid to Touch
  • Evangelicals on the Canterbury Trail
  • Art in Action: Toward a Christian Aesthetic
  • Adland: Searching for the Meaning of Life on a Branded Planet
  • An Emergent Manifesto of Hope (emersion: Emergent Village resources for communities of faith)
  • Reading Jesus: A Writer's Encounter with the Gospels
  • Blessed are the Peacemakers: Christ's Teachings of Love, Compassion, and Forgiveness
  • 40 Watts from Nowhere : A Journey into Pirate Radio
  • Jesus in the Margins: Finding God in the Places We Ignore
  • Provocations: Spiritual Writings of Kierkegaard
David Dark is the critically acclaimed author of "The Sacredness of Questioning Everything," "Everyday Apocalypse: The Sacred Revealed in Radiohead, The Simpsons, and Other Pop Culture Icons" and "The Gospel According To America: A Meditation on a God-blessed, Christ-haunted Idea." An educator, Dark is currently pursuing his PhD in Religious Studies at Vanderbilt University. He has had articles pu ...more
More about David Dark...

“We probably ought to be careful about deciding we're feeling offended; it can get old after a while. We become offended in all the ways God isn't. The seat of offendedness (like the seat of judgment) can be a real tricky spot to occupy. Before we know it, it can become a twenty-four-hour-a-day job. It becomes all we're known for, and when we're all caught up in all the things we're against, we forget the beauty of the things we're supposed to be for. We forget what the kingdom of God looks like and all the wonderfully odd characters taking up residence there. We forget to revel in dappled things. We forget we're dappled.” 3 likes
“The kingdom of the world is becoming the kingdom of God, and it doesn't depend upon our acknowledgement or faithfulness to it within our highly-charged present. It's coming anyway. It is and was and is to come. We have the privilege of watching and praying and noticing in the glorious meantime, especially in what appear to be the unlikeliest of corners. To reimagine now is our work and our pleasure. Look harder. It is at hand.” 1 likes