Start by marking “Pocket Guide to the Apocalypse: The Official Field Manual for the End of the World” as Want to Read:

THE END IS ALL KINDS OF NIGH. So go ahead and start with the panicky noises. Then, crack open this handy book. It's your comprehensive guide to the last days, a must-have for apocalypse watchers, readers of Revelation and all-around Armageddon obsessives. Inside you'll find valuable information like: -- A brief history of the end of the world -- The Apocalyptionary (a glos ...more
Published March 29th 2005 by Relevant Books

To ask other readers questions about Pocket Guide to the Apocalypse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pocket Guide to the Apocalypse

Keith Shepherd
Jan 16, 2008 Keith Shepherd rated it it was amazing
Ever wonder what the heck people are talking about when they say post-tribulation dispensational premillennialism? Well, wonder no more and really, really enjoy Jason Boyett's "official field manual for the end of the world." This book takes a great tongue-in-cheek look at the end times and what (not) to expect. It even includes a chapter on potential anti-Christs.
This book isn't what I expected at all. I expected it to be something humorous and similar in style to The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead. While there were certainly bits of humor the book itself was not a parody of a survival guide. Instead it explained clearly and succinctly the different schools of Judeao-Christian belief as they relate to the Apocalypse/Armageddon. Jesus as messiah aside, the differences seemed to be largely about whether the rapture will occ ...more
Rick rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2009
Becky rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2009
Jun 07, 2011 Violet rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2009 Kevin rated it did not like it
Shelves: didnt-finish
While I can appreciate the amount of research that went into this book, I just didn't find it funny at all. The author was trying too hard and came off like a jerk... even going as far to make fun of 9/11.

Sorry, but for a "Christian" book, that's not funny at all.
Joanna Cummings
Joanna Cummings rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2010
Bill Beaton
Bill Beaton rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2010
Justin Steuer
Justin Steuer rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2010
Susanna Parker
Feb 10, 2011 Susanna Parker rated it liked it
Definitely a "bathroom book," The Pocket Guide offers a tour through apocalyptic predictions, many candidates for the Antichrist, and tells us how we can expect the world to end. A fun read, good for fans of the Zombie Survival Guide or How to Survive the Robot Uprising.
Paul rated it it was ok
May 07, 2011
Rebecca rated it liked it
May 21, 2011
Monica Albright
May 25, 2011 Monica Albright rated it did not like it
Not my style of reading...a quick easy read...but the topic although with much humor intertwined is just too heavy for me.
This book was very funny, especially when it tried to make a case for Bill Gates being the antichrist.
Regina Hunter
Nov 07, 2011 Regina Hunter rated it liked it
If you do not know anything about apocalyptic terms and symbolism, it is definitely for you. Otherwise do not bother.
Chelsea rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2012
This is an excellent companion book for Mercury Falls, as it goes into more detail about the many people throughout the centuries who have loudly and publicly predicted a date for the end of the world, only to have that day come and go without so much as a flicker of fire and brimstone.

Boyette has a wonderful comic touch as he recounts the various Doomsday prophets from 1000 BC to the present day freaking out over the supposed end of the Mayan calendar and consequently the world on December 12,
Ben Zajdel
Jun 01, 2012 Ben Zajdel rated it liked it
More funny than informative, but it's an entertaining read that might get you to research things more in depth.
Katie rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2012
Colleen Valentine
Colleen Valentine rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2012
Mar 07, 2013 Tori rated it really liked it
Shelves: home-library
I read this book several years ago and recently found it while unpacking boxes from a move. I had forgotten how funny some of the stories were. Definitely a good read for someone who likes short stories that you can do more research or just keep going. One of the funniest parts were the 10 requirements for the Anti-Christ and the candidate's.
Adam Seder
Adam Seder rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2014
Matthew Kruck
Matthew Kruck rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2014
Jun 15, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it
Good, short, funny, informative. Assuming the author did good research, it was informative and I learned a bunch of new stuff. He also kept it light, so I wasn't too much of a downer.
Jun 21, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
Fun and informative, this guide will make anyone smile at the thought of the apocalypse.
T rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2014
John Cagle
John Cagle rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2015
David Peck
David Peck rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Meade Baker
Meade Baker rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
Phil Whittall
May 17, 2016 Phil Whittall rated it liked it
Sometimes I just need a change of gear in my reading, something light, something with some wit. The Pocket Guide to the Apocalypse fitted my need perfectly.

Sometimes I wonder in amazement at how people aren't followers of Jesus and then I read a book like this and all the pre-millenial nutcases and their predictions of the end of the world and I wonder at the miracle that anyone at all has chosen to become a Christian.

This does manage the tricky feat of both genuinely informing you about eschato
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Villain's Guide to Better Living
  • Apocalypse 2012: A Scientific Investigation into Civilization's End
  • Salvation on the Small Screen: 24 Hours of Christian Television
  • Theo Gray's Mad Science: Experiments You Can Do At Home - But Probably Shouldn't
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Travel
  • What Would You Do If You Had No Fear?: Living Your Dreams While Quakin' in Your Boots
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: College: College
  • Stars of David: Prominent Jews Talk about Being Jewish
  • Armageddon Science: The Science of Mass Destruction
  • A Culture of Conspiracy: Apocalyptic Visions in Contemporary America
  • Mental Floss Presents Be Amazing: Glow in the Dark, Control the Weather, Perform Your Own Surgery, Get Out of Jury Duty, Identify a Witch, Colonize a Nation, ... Girl, Make a Zombie, Start Your Own Religion
  • How to Defeat Your Own Clone and Other Tips for Surviving the Biotech Revolution
  • Rocking the Roles: Building a Win-Win Marriage
  • Evolution: The Story of Life on Earth
  • Think!: Why Crucial Decisions Can't Be Made in the Blink of an Eye
  • The Pregnant Virgin: A Process of Psychological Transformation (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 21)
  • Mental Floss presents In the Beginning: From Big Hair to the Big Bang, mental_floss presents a Mouthwatering Guide to the Origins of Everything
  • Every Man, God's Man