Start by marking “Vampire Apocalypse: A World Torn Asunder” as Want to Read:
Vampire Apocalypse: A World Torn Asunder

Vampire Apocalypse: A World Torn Asunder (Vampire Apocalypse #1)

This is the first book in Derek Gunn's Vampire Apocalypse series.

The war is over and the Vampires have won. The drying up of the world's oil resources leads to the fabled End of Days. Technology stagnates and communities grow ever more insular. With communication between cities lost and attention turned inward, the vampires rise from the shadows where they have survived fo
Published September 1st 2006 by KHP Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Vampire Apocalypse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampire Apocalypse

KyleeJ
Mar 06, 2008 KyleeJ rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: vampire, thriller
Recommended to KyleeJ by: tracee
Reviewed for Amateur de Livre March/2008

As you might gather from the title, “Vampire Apocalypse: A World Torn Asunder” by Derek Gunn is about humans trying to defeated a society of vampires and their thralls. Thralls are “humans who have been bitten, but not yet crossed over, and whose inhuman lusts make daylight as terrifying as night.” This book will capture the interest of any reader who enjoys occult/fantasy/vampire genres. I was hooked from the Prologue.

One of my favorite parts was the hu
Elke
Jul 14, 2008 Elke rated it it was amazing
Vampire Apocalypse: A World Torn Asunder is one of my favourite books ever. When I came across this book and read the summary, I immediately ordered a copy to read. I had never heard of the author before, so I wasn't really sure what kind of writing to expect, and was open for any surprise. When the book arrived I started reading right away and I was so fascinated by the story I couldn't put it down.

The premise of the Vampire Apocalypse is that vampires rule the earth now and men are treated lik
Jason
The Vampire Apocalypse book 1, A World Torn Asunder, by Derek Gunn, is a pretty fantastic book. I don't say this often, but I think it is deserved here. The reason being is that it breaks a lot of standards in traditional publishing, but it does it in a way that tickles me.

Imagine, if you will, humanity devastated by a war with vampires. A war that humans have lost. The vampires control the world's major cities and keep the human population under control with a serum that renders them sedated an
Allan
Jun 02, 2012 Allan rated it really liked it
My first impression of the book was that it reminded me of The Vampire Earth series by E. E. Knight and I was worried that it'd be too much the same. However, it holds it own pretty well with a completely different storyline and a decent set of characters.

The vampires here are of the old familiar kind but, with the fall of technology they seize their chance to dominate the now-disorganized mankind using our ample supply of low-lives and scum as thralls.

It's nothing astoundingly novel but it all
Suzy (ereaderuser)
Mar 29, 2012 Suzy (ereaderuser) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
It's nice to read a book where vampires aren't portrayed as something to swoon over. These vamps were ugly, smelly, evil creatures. The story was fast paced with a ton of battle scenes between the earth's survivors and the vampires who had taken over the world.
Kimberly
Jan 28, 2012 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampire, thriller
This was a great book that kept me burning through the pages. Much nail biting and cheering went on while I was reading this one. Looking forward to reading the next one!
Louis Singley
Dec 20, 2011 Louis Singley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Apocalypse meet vampires, I'm sure you two will get along great. In this story humanity has really messed things up and is in a world of trouble that's all our own fault. As if the end of the world wasn't enough though, now the vampires have decided that humanity is no longer organized enough to be any kind of a threat and come out in the open to conquer and enslave. Humans are now cattle, drugged into submission, and constantly on tap to feed the vamps. There is a glimmer of hope however, in th ...more
James Groenestein
Jul 04, 2012 James Groenestein rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, action, kindle
Although this book starts a little slow, stick with it as it turns out to be 1 of the best reads I've read this year!!

I admit that when I first started, some months ago, I only got a few pages in to it and gave up. This time around though, having started from the beginning again, I stayed focused on it and I was really surprised!

The outline to the overall plot is a great concept and you get sucked straight in to the thick of it!!

The book is broken down in to several story lines that all end up i
Fred
Okay writing that somewhat brought down a good plot. The transition between character viewpoints was somewhat confusing at times the way that the writer would shift between four characters in four different paragraphs back to back to back with no sign of a break or a change for the reader. Most writers distinguish a change of some sort by something like

*****

or just a gap like

but there was nothing of the sort here and so sometimes I found myself reading and reading and realizing that I was in
C.T. Phipps
Apr 18, 2014 C.T. Phipps rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampires
I finished reading the first book in the Vampire Apocalypse series by Derek Gunn some time ago. I loved it. I'm looking forward to reading the next book and definitely recommend them. The first book, A World Torn Asunder, isn't high art but it's a nice post-apocalypse novel and it's a decent vampire novel. Heck, it's a nice piece of military fiction. That's the short version and all you really need to know about it. Everything else is just icing on the case. Still, if you want to know specifics ...more
Melody Daggerhart
Oct 18, 2012 Melody Daggerhart rated it it was ok
I love vampires, and I love action. But as much as I love those two elements in stories, I struggled with this one.

The two most distracting things that I experienced, and that I'm seeing in other people's reviews, is bad grammar and character point-of-view that is all over the place. This makes it hard to read, so primarily it really needed a better edit.

The other thing that brought it down a notch for me was the fact that the action outweighs the plot. There are good plot ideas there, but they
Edmond Barrett
Feb 24, 2012 Edmond Barrett rated it liked it
On the whole this is a enjoyable take on the vampire myth. The book starts in a near future post oil world which is frankly pretty interesting all on its own and as a reader I could have frankly happily spent longer in that world. But we are swiftly taken the world after the vampire take over and the first attempts at resistance and fight back. The story I would as basically solid if not spectacular. The vampires are genuinely, the writer has made them extremely powerful but still left himself w ...more
David Whelan
Mar 28, 2013 David Whelan rated it it was amazing
Vampire Apocalypse: A World Turn Asunder is as the title states, a world torn asunder; by the viciousness of the vampire race that has decimated human society. And so this leads us to the first major point. The Vampires don't fall in love with humans, and this means it isn't a human book with vampires in it, but a vampire book with humans in it.
What I mean is that this is what a vampire story should be, where the humans have been forced to survive against the rage of a powerful enemy. This is a
Vanessa Jillett
It took me a while to get into, and finish this book. I'm normally a huge fan of anything vampire related (Twilight excluded) but there was just something about this book that failed to draw me in and immerse me completely within the story.

It was an interesting read, but the storyline itself was the only reason I found myself compelled to read more, the characters varied in degrees of development. Though most of them did have their own personal or emotional moments throughout the story, I found
Loraine
This is not the tame 'lets fall in love' plot with vampires. This is pure horrific evil. There is lots of death, blood and gore. This is what vampires were supposed to be. There are some editing bug bears throughout. For example, the switch between character point of views were not seperated with the usual text gap. This did make things a bit confusing and I had to read parts over a couple of times to make sense of what was happening. Also, some sentences were repeated throughout the tale. In fi ...more
Denice
I haven't read a traditional vampire novel for a long time... When I said traditional, I meant that vampires were sleeping in coffins, burned by the sun and transforming into bats... I actually found it a bit refreshing, and because vampires were also the villains in this story...

The story is full of violence and gore and action... It's understandable because humans had to find a way to survive... And with the threat of extinction, their survival instincts were honed and they had to stand up...
Ashleigh
Mar 03, 2012 Ashleigh rated it liked it
This has the potential to be a really great book. It has a unique plot and the actual writing is rather good however several things bothered me:
1) There are quite a few little spelling/grammatical errors. It's nothing major but could do with getting sorted.
2) The layout can sometimes make it hard to read. The author could've separated the different points of view better - I had to re-read a couple of parts before I realised it had changed to another person. Something as simple as adding an extr
Adrian
Jul 25, 2012 Adrian rated it liked it
It was nice to read a vampire book in which the vampires are bad guys, trying to control and take over. It was a nice story with a good plot. my only complaint is that when the point of view changed, there wasn't a line break or asterisk or anything. Most times, it just started a new paragraph and I had problems keeping up with the quick change. Often, I had to reread the first few lines once I realized that the pov changed again. And sometimes, it was hard to tell exactly where the change happe ...more
John
Mar 24, 2013 John rated it liked it
An interesting take of the 'vampires take the world' idea i found the characters and the challenges they faced to be interesting. vampires felt a bit one sided and lacked depth in the few of them key to the story.
David
Jul 05, 2009 David rated it it was ok
Very workmanship-like, but formulaic Post-apocalyptic fiction. E.E. Knight's Valentine books take essentially the same plot and do it much better.

It was a quick read, but but I'm unlikely to go out and get the rest of the series.
Jamie Eastman
Not bad

This wasn't a bad read, it's original in its concept, it's vampires that take over and pretty much try to decimate humans, but then a band of humans fight back, so I'd recommend it for anyone who digs vampire stories.
Jill
Dec 20, 2011 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The story was good and original. I'm a reader who likes characters and gets involved in them. This book was a plot driven book rather than character driven so it wasn't really my thing.
Babette
Jan 20, 2012 Babette rated it it was amazing
Very entertaining. I will be getting the other books in the series.
Megan
Jun 16, 2012 Megan rated it liked it
this book was good but i thought it could have been a little bit better but i still enjoyed it..!! :p
Debbie Henderson
Apr 25, 2014 Debbie Henderson rated it really liked it
Ebook
Josh
Oct 11, 2012 Josh rated it really liked it
well written and well thought out trilogy!
Jodi Lee
Feb 16, 2009 Jodi Lee rated it really liked it
Solid story, looking forward to the sequel.
Soho_Black
Dec 31, 2014 Soho_Black rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, used-to-own
Given the recent success of the film version of Matheson's "I Am Legend", it's not a surprise that anything featuring humans fighting vampires should be optioned for a film version. Admittedly, the identity of the enemy is really the only thing the two books have in common, but on reading this one, I can see exactly why the film industry would be interested.

Gunn shows us how the vampires first seized control after the break down of civilisation. We are briefly introduced to their human guards an
Justin
Nov 27, 2016 Justin rated it liked it
With A World Torn Asunder, the first installment in Derek Gunn's Vampire Apocalypse series, we enter a world where fuel crisis and economic collapse led to the fracturing of government and society. What better time for the vampires to step out of the shadows and claim the world for themselves? With a submissive population and some all too willing thralls, the vampires quickly took over. That hasn't stopped a small band of resistance fighters, whose guerilla raids on vampire strongholds have prov ...more
Tara Wowra
Dec 27, 2016 Tara Wowra rated it liked it
Read all three in the series. Good story
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • New Zed Order: Survive
  • Dead Earth: The Green Dawn
  • Ripper's Row
  • The Last Vampire (Dark Season, #1)
  • Blood Skies (Blood Skies, #1)
  • Thicker Than Water (Blood Brothers, #1)
  • Saying Goodbye to the Sun
  • Tankbread (Tankbread, #1)
  • The Gateway (The Harbinger of Doom Saga, #1 novella length)
  • Year of the Dead
  • Demon's Night (Jason Dark, #1)
  • City of Whispers (City of Whispers, #1)
  • Bones: The Complete Apocalypse Saga
  • Dracula Unbound
  • The Vampire Club
  • The Road to Hell is Paved With Zombies (Zombie Fighter Jango, #1)
  • The Zombies: Volume One
  • Voluntary
Derek Gunn is the author of the critically acclaimed bestseller, Vampire Apocalypse: A World Torn Asunder - the eBook alone has had over 100,000 downloads and has been described as “a Summer Blockbuster..” ~Gorezone, “An incredibly original piece of fiction “ ~Horror-Web, and “a terrific tale.” ~Apex Science Fiction and Horror Digest.

Three more books have been published in this series, Descent int
More about Derek Gunn...

Vampire Apocalypse (4 books)
  • Descent Into Chaos
  • Fallout
  • Vampire Apocalypse: Trail of Tears (Vampire Apocalypse #4)

“Christ! He thought we even have a male stripper. What’s he going to do, throw his thong at the vampires?” 0 likes