X-Men: The Complete Age of Apocalypse Epic, Book 3

X-Men: The Complete Age of Apocalypse Epic, Book 3 (Age of Apocalypse #3)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  894 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The mirror gets darker and the Amazing X-Men more Astonished by the minute as the Age of Apocalypse hits its third quarter Magneto has dedicated his life to freeing humanity and mutantkind alike, but will Apocalypse now require him to destroy reality to save it Sides are switched and secrets shown with repercussions ringing from the Savage Land to the Shi-ar Galaxy Plus: a...more
Published April 19th 2006 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about X-Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about X-Men

Jane
Part 3 of the Complete Age of Apocalypse saga, providing even more twists to the story, and more annoyances from the ever irritating Morph diluting whatever story is there. Although still a good read with beautiful artwork this volume has been the weakest for me in its storyline and lost much of my attention quite early on.

In this edition you discover the importance of the M’Kraan crystal, which is probably my favourite part in this compilation. It would seem that the M’Kraan escapade is not as...more
Michael Church
This one certainly takes more of the good from the last volume than it does of the bad. The writing and characters and plot are still delightfully awfully 90s, but at least the story is finally moving at a decent clip.

This volume doesn't have the job of setting up the premise. Nor is it bogged down by some unrelated miniseries (I'm looking at you, Blink). The vast majority of the book is from the main series: Gen Next, Astonishing/Amazing X-Men, Factor-X, and X-Calibre. The only real outlier is...more
Guillermo
Book three is the rising of the climax. And thus far in the series, it's the been the most interesting, page-turning, on the-seat's-edge collection. Housing X-Calibre #2-3, Astonishing X-Men #2-4, Generation Next 2-3, X-Man #2-3, Factor X #3, Amazing X-Men #3, Weapon X #3, Gambit & The X-Ternals #3 and X-Universe #1, it brings to light the battle that's looming upon Apocalypse's doorstep - not to mention the one he dropped on the High Human Council and the X-Men.

The theme is choice, of cour...more
Jeff
Near the end of this third installment of the collected Age of Apocalypse comic books, things started to move more quickly and coherently. The problem with this whole storyline is a problem that often plagues Marvel and DC's multi-title storylines. Namely they stretch the story across several different comic book titles and thus have a wide variety of writers and artists working on the project. Inevitably there are hundreds of loose threads that get picked up here and there. Thus for a single dr...more
Andrew Uys
Another great 'chapter' in the Age of Apocalypse, I definitely appreciated that the issues are printed/given to the reader in their chronological reading order rather than simply #1-4, #1-4, etc. Made me remember why I found this series event. A bit baffling when I was younger - never would have been able to get all the issues sans Google. ;)

Fantastic read, I definitely have fav writers and artists but really enjoyed discovering some major names who were just "starting" out then. Going to miss t...more
Sonnet
Jun 30, 2014 Sonnet rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
This one was ok. At least better than the first two volumes. The stories get much darker, which is a plus, but I still don't find myself caring about what happens. I think one of the biggest problems with all of these AoA volumes is that whoever chose the specific issues to include didn't choose as wisely as he should have.
Shaun
This volume's pacing picked up considerably over the last volume. Although there was a lot more of Madureira and Bachalo art spread over this volume, so that might have picked things up a little for me as well. Still a fun premise and they're doing a decent job of not contradicting themselves from plot point to plot point most of the time.
Deirdre
Our hereos are trying to fight their way to victory. Scott Summers is finding less and less in common with his masters. Several other Marvel heroes feature and many of the characters are trying to work with what they have to create a better world, but without Professor Xavier things aren't as easy as it might seem.

It's an interesting series. You would need a fairly decent knowledge of the Marvel universe to understand some of the character motivations and changes.
M
The Age of Apocalypse continues to plague the X-Men. Beset and beseiged by all sides, Magneto puts all of his contingencies into action. The search for the M'Kraan crystal, the end to the human cullings, a search for Destiny, and the addition of a new mutant are all coming to a head. Yet when push comes to shove, it appears that Apocalypse will take home the endgame - sealing off Bishop's hopes of ever returning reality to normal.
Ryan
Jan 18, 2012 Ryan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: justok
It's at least interesting to see artwork by artists form 20 years ago and see how many of them have improved. The cover to this volume is a good example, John Romita Jr. shouldn't have been allowed to turn in such sloppy work, but he got away with it in the mid 90's. HIs work now is amazing.
faelinwolf
The comics style is kind of old school. I like that. It's different than what I've been reading recently. It's fun too b/c there were Generation X comics in this collection and I have all the Generation X comics. It's nice to put those issues in context. :)
Angela
The resistance start to fight back against Apocalypse. Some are more successful than others, and plans to change the world are put in place. This is a more cohesive book than the first two, all the groundwork helps to tell the main story. A good read.
Eric
...kept getting better as the volumes continued. A lot is at stake at this moment in all of the mini-series they've established.
Michael
With so many different writers, it's amazing this flows together as well as it does. This volume continues the goodness from the last.
Reyhan
Profesor X mati tanpa pernah sempat membentuk X-Men? Dan sejarah X-Men pun tak pernah menjadi seperti sekarang...
๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜFᴙost
I truly fell in love with Quicksilver in this series!
Randy Holmberg
interesting, kinda dragged on
Aarcanum Black
Aarcanum Black marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Vincent
Vincent marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
  • Decimation: Son of M
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 5: Ultimate War
  • X-Men: The Day After
  • Uncanny X-Men: Divided We Stand
Scott Lobdell (born 1963) is an American comic book writer.

He is mostly known for his work throughout the 1990s on Marvel Comics' X-Men-related titles specifically Uncanny X-Men, the main title itself, and the spin-off series that he conceived with artist Chris Bachalo, Generation X. Generation X focused on a number of young mutant students who attempted to become superheroes in their own right at...more
More about Scott Lobdell...
X-Men: The Complete Age of Apocalypse Epic, Book 1 Red Hood and the Outlaws, Vol. 1: Redemption Teen Titans, Vol. 1: It's Our Right to Fight X-Men: The Complete Age of Apocalypse Epic, Book 2 X-Men: X-Cutioner's Song