Start by marking “Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School” as Want to Read:

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  588 ratings  ·  61 reviews
This exceptional guide for the one million-plus homeschoolers who make up America's most rapidly growing educational movement tells what children must learn, and when. Includes subject-by-subject guidelines.
Published November 14th 2000 by Three Rivers Press (CA)

To ask other readers questions about Home Learning Year by Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Learning Year by Year

The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise BauerDumbing Us Down by John Taylor GattoA Thomas Jefferson Education by Oliver DeMilleHow to Read a Book by Mortimer J. AdlerHow Children Learn by John Holt
Best Homeschooling Books
18th out of 171 books — 228 voters
How to Tutor Your Own Child by Marina Koestler RubenThe Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim TreleaseNurtureShock by Po BronsonConquering Babel by Claire HandscombeThe Secrets of Top Students by Stefanie Weisman
Tutoring and Homework Help
20th out of 30 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather
I borrowed this book from our local library when looking for books about homeschooling. To be honest, I didn't read the entire book, as it's not written in a "read cover-to-cover" format. Rather, this book is set up in a way such that a reader can use the sections that are most helpful without needing to read it all the way through.

This is not a book that demands that its readers subscribe to any particular philosophy of homeschooling; rather, the author readily admits her belief that a child's
Pumpkinbear
Especially since my kids don't go to a traditional school, and especially since we'll probably transition to homeschooling in the next academic year, and ALSO because I'm a big nerd, I loooooove those lists of required skills, broken down by grade. I don't often act on them yet, but I find it useful to know what, for instance, our community school corporation thinks that kindergartners should know by the end of the year, to see what's meant to be average, and my kids actually adore all the books ...more
Stephanie
I purchased this book in my second year of homeschooling to be used with the Well-Trained Mind as my guide. I'm now in my fifth year and wish more than ever that I'd never ordered this book. Quite frankly, I feel irritated when I'm reminded that I actually spent money on it.

Early in my second year of homeschooling, I was not confident enough in my own teaching ability to prevent one author's opinion on what my child should be learning from sending me into a tailspin of panic that I was not doing
KJ
I guess this book was okay but kind of a waste of a library rental for me. The title says "preschool through high school" but then the preschool section is just her saying she doesn't believe in preschool curriculum. Even more puzzling, she then goes on to kinda allude to adhering to such a curriculum but still insists it is just so self explanatory that it need not be spelled out. I have no problem with her putting her beliefs into her book, however poorly stated, but at least reflect that in t ...more
Debbie Mcnulty
We have just started homeschooling in our home. This book was the first one I picked up. I liked it because it was so comprehensive. It gives a wonderful overview of each year and what should be covered. I do not intend to use it as gospel but it is a good guideline, especially if your child wishes to attend college. Reading this book really helped me choose a curriculum for my child that covered everything important to us.
Christina
I LOVED this book and plan to add it to my home library! It was exactly what I have been looking for- a detailed list of exactly what concepts should be covered at each grade level as well as specific and creative curriculum suggestions for each subject area. It is organized well, by grade level and subject matter- it not only covers the specifics of language arts and math but all social sciences and even physical health. Again, I was impressed with the extremely through coverage at each grade l ...more
Heather Leak
Ok, truthfully, I'm not "finished" with this book, but I got through the two grade level chapters that I wanted to for my homeschoolers. This information (grade-specific standards in education) can probably now be viewed online, but I prefer the traditional book form where I can highlight and go to reference throughout my school year and in the years to come. Obviously the standards serve as benchmarks - and if you've gotten out of the public school system because of its "one-size fits-all" mode ...more
Tanya
Excellent brief overview of what kids should know at each level with suggestions of books, websites, ideas, all in a tidy book not of overwhelming size. This is a good intro to homeschooling on your own. You can use this as a basic framework and expand on interests from there.
I didn't read the whole book. Because I only looked at the grades that were pertaining to my child. But what I did read was very useful. I'm giving it 5 stars on how useful those chapters (preschool- kindergarten) were however I can't vouch for the whole book.
Jessica
this book wasn't terribly helpful. I really just checked out to see what it says about preschool and it basically says "read to your kid and they'll be ok". kids are natural learners, but a little intentionality can go a long way.
Lauren Bassford
Understandable issues, but so much of the info contained in this book is readily available, and with much less outdated info, via a google search. Useful scope and sequence, but again, available elsewhere.
Angie Libert
After perusing this borrowed book, I am going to have to buy it. I appears to be an excellent resource or spine book for my homeschool.
A Great Book Study
First homeschool book I ever read and used it for several years.
Karen
Lots of resources here. Designed primarily for secular homeschoolers.
Nola
Nov 10, 2008 Nola rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nola by: library
Part of being the home school teacher...er, facilitator ;)...is designing a curriculum that works for them. Thus, I am always reading about various methods to employ, searching for something to futher help our family.

In short, good ideas are everywhere, and it is *much* easier to read about & steal them than to create them!

This was an interesting read, although it works better as a look-up guide than a sit-down-and-read-cover-to-cover book. There were some great books and ideas listed, and
Heather
This is yet another helpful tool to use as a guideline as to what children should be learning year by year. This, combined with The Well-Trained Mind, and The Core Knowledge Series, has been a great outline as I've planned our homeschooling curricula for Tori. Only three stars because I checked out some of the books she recommended and didn't really care for them, but there were some other really helpful recommendations as well. Just have to wade through it all and tailor a program that works fo ...more
Nicole
I saw several great reviews on another site for this book, so I bought it. I was so excited to start my home school library and was disappointed with this read. The preschool section was laughable. I tried several of her links and some I could not find, or I was not an authorized user. I only skimmed the kindergarten section to see what's next for my little one and that chapter did not seem anymore impressive. I wish I had just rented it from the library instead and saved my $$
What an awesome resource!! I truly love this book. We used it initially when we started homeschooling, then I got distracted by a box set of curriculum. We tried for a year, but we came back to Home Learning Year by Year and are full steam ahead again making up our own curriculum and checking each point off in the book. I feel more involved in my children's education because it forces me to take an active role in the planning, preparation, and teaching.
Elissa
I am definitely going to purchase this book! It gives a really good overview of what children are expected to learn in public school each year as well as many resources to use when designing your own curriculum. It is a great thing to use as a guide, espcially if you are homeschooling in a state that requires standardized testing or detailed reports!
Leah
I only used this book to get curriculum ideas for preschool and kindergarten and I thought her examples were helpful! I could see this being a book I would go back to in future years to get supplemental ideas.
Molly Westerman
Very useful--and non-prescriptive--ideas for curriculum-building. This book is very well-organized and user-friendly. I especially love the many specific book (and other resource) recommendations.

There's a more detailed review at my blog.
The Wandering Bibliophile
This might have been helpful 10 yrs. ago but there are so many new curriculum options out there that her choices are mostly obsolete. There were some good nuggets of info. as to general ideas on what should be included at each grade level but honestly, until you hit the high school years I would take it with a HUGE grain of salt.
Erin
I want to love this book - it gives a list of the states with the best standards for a particular topic (CO for geography, for example), it gives great ideas of what topics to cover in a particular year, it's not too wordy or dogmatic. BUT!!! Most of the curriculum suggestions either don't exist or have terrible reviews.
Kristina Seleshanko
This is my #1 resource for homeschooling. It outlines what public schools teach children, grade by grade, and I find it an excellent way to keep track of my child's progress. Even if you are like me, and don't necessarily teach your child with the same time line as public school, this book is an excellent guide.
Denise
Wow! This book is great! Lots of resources in the back. Mostly, this helped calm my biggest fear of homeschooling: What do I teach when?! She lays out what should be learned in each grade level, in a way that is easy to follow, and made me feel like, "yeah, I can do this." Definite must have for homeschooling!
Traci Francis-danker
It finally gave me a judge on year by year study work that I'd been looking for and was clear enough to understand and adapt as I wanted. It did contain some material that was not creationist based. I didn't like that, but I can change the material when I at least know the category of science needed.
Sally
Eh, this was so-so. I was prepared to be dazzled, because I loved her other book so much. For someone who wants really structured ideas on curriculum, this might be a good book. But the irony is that I don't think that's how she homeschooled at at.
Vanessa
Really helpful! Great overview of what kids normally cover every year in school, in addition to other common practices for homeschoolers (e.g., Classical Education history), and then a number of suggestions for appropriate resources.
Aubrie
haven't read any similar books for comparison, but flipping through this i was impressed. separated by year, it lists resources and topics to study for each subject. gives lots of magazines, books, and sites to look into.

A good, although somewhat out of date, collection of benchmarks and resources. Gleaned a few good ideas from it, although I stopped reading intently after 1st grade since we're just starting pre-k3 this fall.
  • Homeschooling: The Early Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully Homeschooling the 3- to 8- Year-Old Child
  • 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing the Right Educational Philosophy for Your Child's Learning Style
  • Free Range Learning How Homeschooling Changes Everything
  • The Well-Adjusted Child: The Social Benefits of Homeschooling
  • The Unschooling Handbook: How to Use the Whole World as Your Child's Classroom
  • Homeschooling for Excellence
  • Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense
  • The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home
  • Homeschool Your Child for Free: More Than 1,200 Smart, Effective, and Practical Resources for Home Education on the Internet and Beyond
  • Guerrilla Learning: How to Give Your Kids a Real Education With or Without School
  • Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years
  • A Charlotte Mason Education: A Home Schooling How-To Manual
  • Teach Your Own: The John Holt Book Of Homeschooling
  • When Children Love to Learn: A Practical Application of Charlotte Mason's Philosophy for Today
  • The Three R's
  • For the Children's Sake
  • Project-Based Homeschooling: Mentoring Self-Directed Learners
  • Homeschooling Our Children Unschooling Ourselves
Rebecca Rupp is the author of SARAH SIMPSON'S RULES FOR LIVING, JOURNEY TO THE BLUE MOON, THE DRAGON OF LONELY ISLAND and THE RETURN OF THE DRAGON. She lives in Swanton, Vermont.
More about Rebecca Rupp...
After Eli The Dragon of Lonely Island How Carrots Won the Trojan War: Curious (but True) Stories of Common Vegetables The Waterstone The Return of the Dragon