Start by marking “Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School” as Want to Read:

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  679 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Finally, homeschoolers have a comprehensive guide to designing a homeschool curriculum, from one of the country's foremost homeschooling experts. , Rebecca Rupp presents a structured plan to ensure that your children will learn what they need to know when they need to know it, from preschool through high school. Based on the traditional pre-K through 12th-grade structure, ...more
Published November 14th 2000 by Three Rivers Press

To ask other readers questions about Home Learning Year by Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Learning Year by Year

The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise BauerDumbing Us Down by John Taylor GattoA Thomas Jefferson Education by Oliver DeMilleHow to Read a Book by Mortimer J. AdlerHow Children Learn by John Holt
Best Homeschooling Books
18th out of 185 books — 255 voters
How to Tutor Your Own Child by Marina Koestler RubenThe Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim TreleaseNurtureShock by Po BronsonThe Secrets of Top Students by Stefanie WeismanConquering Babel by Claire Handscombe
Tutoring and Homework Help
23rd out of 33 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather
Mar 15, 2010 Heather rated it liked it
I borrowed this book from our local library when looking for books about homeschooling. To be honest, I didn't read the entire book, as it's not written in a "read cover-to-cover" format. Rather, this book is set up in a way such that a reader can use the sections that are most helpful without needing to read it all the way through.

This is not a book that demands that its readers subscribe to any particular philosophy of homeschooling; rather, the author readily admits her belief that a child's
Pumpkinbear
Dec 14, 2009 Pumpkinbear rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homeschool-books
Especially since my kids don't go to a traditional school, and especially since we'll probably transition to homeschooling in the next academic year, and ALSO because I'm a big nerd, I loooooove those lists of required skills, broken down by grade. I don't often act on them yet, but I find it useful to know what, for instance, our community school corporation thinks that kindergartners should know by the end of the year, to see what's meant to be average, and my kids actually adore all the books ...more
Stephanie
Sep 09, 2013 Stephanie rated it did not like it
Shelves: homeschool
I purchased this book in my second year of homeschooling to be used with the Well-Trained Mind as my guide. I'm now in my fifth year and wish more than ever that I'd never ordered this book. Quite frankly, I feel irritated when I'm reminded that I actually spent money on it.

Early in my second year of homeschooling, I was not confident enough in my own teaching ability to prevent one author's opinion on what my child should be learning from sending me into a tailspin of panic that I was not doing
Carrie
Jul 06, 2015 Carrie rated it liked it
I'm new to homeschooling and wanted s reference guide for what targets we should be aiming for with my middle and high schooler. This is helpful as a jumpstart. It would be great if the resources were updated (which is why I didn't give it 5 stars) and a new edition published but the general guidelines for each grade and many of the resources are still available/current. It isn't meant to be anything more than a skeleton of what your curriculum should look like. It did what I thought it should d ...more
KJ
Jul 26, 2012 KJ rated it it was ok
I guess this book was okay but kind of a waste of a library rental for me. The title says "preschool through high school" but then the preschool section is just her saying she doesn't believe in preschool curriculum. Even more puzzling, she then goes on to kinda allude to adhering to such a curriculum but still insists it is just so self explanatory that it need not be spelled out. I have no problem with her putting her beliefs into her book, however poorly stated, but at least reflect that in t ...more
Debbie Mcnulty
May 05, 2014 Debbie Mcnulty rated it really liked it
We have just started homeschooling in our home. This book was the first one I picked up. I liked it because it was so comprehensive. It gives a wonderful overview of each year and what should be covered. I do not intend to use it as gospel but it is a good guideline, especially if your child wishes to attend college. Reading this book really helped me choose a curriculum for my child that covered everything important to us.
Christina
Nov 29, 2010 Christina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, homeschool
I LOVED this book and plan to add it to my home library! It was exactly what I have been looking for- a detailed list of exactly what concepts should be covered at each grade level as well as specific and creative curriculum suggestions for each subject area. It is organized well, by grade level and subject matter- it not only covers the specifics of language arts and math but all social sciences and even physical health. Again, I was impressed with the extremely through coverage at each grade l ...more
Heather Leak
Ok, truthfully, I'm not "finished" with this book, but I got through the two grade level chapters that I wanted to for my homeschoolers. This information (grade-specific standards in education) can probably now be viewed online, but I prefer the traditional book form where I can highlight and go to reference throughout my school year and in the years to come. Obviously the standards serve as benchmarks - and if you've gotten out of the public school system because of its "one-size fits-all" mode ...more
Tanya
Jan 07, 2015 Tanya rated it it was amazing
Excellent brief overview of what kids should know at each level with suggestions of books, websites, ideas, all in a tidy book not of overwhelming size. This is a good intro to homeschooling on your own. You can use this as a basic framework and expand on interests from there.
Jun 15, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
I didn't read the whole book. Because I only looked at the grades that were pertaining to my child. But what I did read was very useful. I'm giving it 5 stars on how useful those chapters (preschool- kindergarten) were however I can't vouch for the whole book.
Jessica
Apr 28, 2014 Jessica rated it it was ok
Shelves: homeschooling
this book wasn't terribly helpful. I really just checked out to see what it says about preschool and it basically says "read to your kid and they'll be ok". kids are natural learners, but a little intentionality can go a long way.
Lauren Bassford
Jun 01, 2015 Lauren Bassford rated it it was ok
Understandable issues, but so much of the info contained in this book is readily available, and with much less outdated info, via a google search. Useful scope and sequence, but again, available elsewhere.
Angie Libert
Feb 11, 2014 Angie Libert rated it liked it
After perusing this borrowed book, I am going to have to buy it. I appears to be an excellent resource or spine book for my homeschool.
extraordinary ordinary whimsy
An excellent resource with a template of what they should know and suggested materials. Definitely one to buy and keep on hand.
Karen
Sep 05, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: homeschooling
Lots of resources here. Designed primarily for secular homeschoolers.
Nola Redd
Nov 10, 2008 Nola Redd rated it really liked it
Recommended to Nola by: library
Part of being the home school teacher...er, facilitator ;)...is designing a curriculum that works for them. Thus, I am always reading about various methods to employ, searching for something to futher help our family.

In short, good ideas are everywhere, and it is *much* easier to read about & steal them than to create them!

This was an interesting read, although it works better as a look-up guide than a sit-down-and-read-cover-to-cover book. There were some great books and ideas listed, and
Heather
Mar 10, 2010 Heather rated it liked it
This is yet another helpful tool to use as a guideline as to what children should be learning year by year. This, combined with The Well-Trained Mind, and The Core Knowledge Series, has been a great outline as I've planned our homeschooling curricula for Tori. Only three stars because I checked out some of the books she recommended and didn't really care for them, but there were some other really helpful recommendations as well. Just have to wade through it all and tailor a program that works fo ...more
Brittany
May 07, 2016 Brittany rated it it was ok
Shelves: homeschool
This is a good resource for parents new to homeschooling as it gives a brief overview of what children will learn in each subject area from preschool through high school. The author includes plenty of resources to use to help guide your lessons and your homeschool year as well as books that help teach content. However, this book was published in 2000. A lot has changed in our education system since then (I.e. Common core) and for that reason a lot of the resources I found were a little out-of-da ...more
Nicole
Jan 02, 2013 Nicole rated it did not like it
I saw several great reviews on another site for this book, so I bought it. I was so excited to start my home school library and was disappointed with this read. The preschool section was laughable. I tried several of her links and some I could not find, or I was not an authorized user. I only skimmed the kindergarten section to see what's next for my little one and that chapter did not seem anymore impressive. I wish I had just rented it from the library instead and saved my $$
I read the first few chapters of this book and then quickly skimmed the rest. It's a pretty comprehensive overview of what is covered in each grade. I'm not going to say that each child needs to know all of those things in those grades, but if you're looking to get an idea of subjects/topics to cover in what grade this is a fabulous starting point. She listed tons of resources, although the book is 13 years old, so alot of the websites were no longer good.
Jan 25, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
What an awesome resource!! I truly love this book. We used it initially when we started homeschooling, then I got distracted by a box set of curriculum. We tried for a year, but we came back to Home Learning Year by Year and are full steam ahead again making up our own curriculum and checking each point off in the book. I feel more involved in my children's education because it forces me to take an active role in the planning, preparation, and teaching.
Kendra
Aug 02, 2015 Kendra rated it really liked it
I only read the chapters for K-2 as that is what's pertinent to me right now. This is a great tool for gauging what your child is learning and what you're forgetting or glossing over as a teacher. It has creative ideas and good book recommendations.
Elissa
Jun 14, 2008 Elissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2008
I am definitely going to purchase this book! It gives a really good overview of what children are expected to learn in public school each year as well as many resources to use when designing your own curriculum. It is a great thing to use as a guide, espcially if you are homeschooling in a state that requires standardized testing or detailed reports!
Leah
Nov 12, 2014 Leah rated it really liked it
I only used this book to get curriculum ideas for preschool and kindergarten and I thought her examples were helpful! I could see this being a book I would go back to in future years to get supplemental ideas.
Molly Westerman
Very useful--and non-prescriptive--ideas for curriculum-building. This book is very well-organized and user-friendly. I especially love the many specific book (and other resource) recommendations.

There's a more detailed review at my blog.
The Wandering Bibliophile
This might have been helpful 10 yrs. ago but there are so many new curriculum options out there that her choices are mostly obsolete. There were some good nuggets of info. as to general ideas on what should be included at each grade level but honestly, until you hit the high school years I would take it with a HUGE grain of salt.
Erin
Apr 05, 2013 Erin rated it liked it
I want to love this book - it gives a list of the states with the best standards for a particular topic (CO for geography, for example), it gives great ideas of what topics to cover in a particular year, it's not too wordy or dogmatic. BUT!!! Most of the curriculum suggestions either don't exist or have terrible reviews.
Kristina Seleshanko
Jan 01, 2013 Kristina Seleshanko rated it it was amazing
This is my #1 resource for homeschooling. It outlines what public schools teach children, grade by grade, and I find it an excellent way to keep track of my child's progress. Even if you are like me, and don't necessarily teach your child with the same time line as public school, this book is an excellent guide.
Denise
Jun 03, 2008 Denise rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book is great! Lots of resources in the back. Mostly, this helped calm my biggest fear of homeschooling: What do I teach when?! She lays out what should be learned in each grade level, in a way that is easy to follow, and made me feel like, "yeah, I can do this." Definite must have for homeschooling!
Traci Francis-danker
Jan 14, 2013 Traci Francis-danker rated it really liked it
It finally gave me a judge on year by year study work that I'd been looking for and was clear enough to understand and adapt as I wanted. It did contain some material that was not creationist based. I didn't like that, but I can change the material when I at least know the category of science needed.
  • Homeschooling: The Early Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully Homeschooling the 3- to 8- Year-Old Child
  • 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing the Right Educational Philosophy for Your Child's Learning Style
  • Free Range Learning How Homeschooling Changes Everything
  • The Well-Adjusted Child: The Social Benefits of Homeschooling
  • The Unschooling Handbook: How to Use the Whole World as Your Child's Classroom
  • Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense
  • The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home
  • Homeschooling for Excellence
  • Homeschool Your Child for Free: More Than 1,200 Smart, Effective, and Practical Resources for Home Education on the Internet and Beyond
  • A Charlotte Mason Education: A Home Schooling How-To Manual
  • Teach Your Own: The John Holt Book Of Homeschooling
  • Guerrilla Learning: How to Give Your Kids a Real Education With or Without School
  • First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind: Level 1 & 2
  • Project-Based Homeschooling: Mentoring Self-Directed Learners
  • Homeschooling Our Children Unschooling Ourselves
  • For the Children's Sake
  • Educating the Wholehearted Child
  • When Children Love to Learn: A Practical Application of Charlotte Mason's Philosophy for Today
Rebecca Rupp is the author of SARAH SIMPSON'S RULES FOR LIVING, JOURNEY TO THE BLUE MOON, THE DRAGON OF LONELY ISLAND and THE RETURN OF THE DRAGON. She lives in Swanton, Vermont.
More about Rebecca Rupp...