Start by marking “Suffering Is Optional: Three Keys to Freedom and Joy” as Want to Read:
Suffering Is Optional: Three Keys to Freedom and Joy

Suffering Is Optional: Three Keys to Freedom and Joy

Suffering Is Optional: Three Keys to Freedom and Joy centers around three basic aspects of Zen practice: pay attention, believe nothing, and don’t take anything personally. As ending suffering requires that one sees how suffering happens, the book urges readers to be willing to be quiet and pay attention to the process of suffering in effort to see each moment as an opport ...more
Published March 1st 2002 by Keep It Simple Books

To ask other readers questions about Suffering Is Optional, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suffering Is Optional

May 28, 2016 Laura rated it liked it
This book offers a good taste of Buddhist teachings for the secular folk. It's filled with "activities" and people's responses to them that I skimmed through quickly, but there are some insights I gained that I imagine could help in a wide variety of challenging scenarios.

Here are Huber's central insights:

"We have no control over what we get in life, but we can learn to have every choice about how we respond. Choice is available to us when we let go of the illusion of control" (44).

"We 'believe
Patty
Oct 03, 2014 Patty rated it it was amazing
I first read this book seven years ago, and reading it again now, it is just as inspiring. Because this book is based on an email class, it's written in a sort of question-and-answer format, and it's very easy to relate to what the students are saying. That's why I think this is one of the best Cheri Huber books for a beginner to read. It changed my life.
Lydia
Nov 12, 2015 Lydia rated it liked it
The format of this book is questions asked by the author and the responses are from her students. Some of the answers you can think "yes that is exactly how I feel!" and other answers make you think "what..? Where or how did they think that?!" So it's good at giving you different perspectives on the way in which people think about questions and interpret the world around them. Quick and easy read, and can be read in short increments when you have the time.
Kara Christine
Oct 19, 2011 Kara Christine rated it it was amazing
Profound & life changing. This is one of those books I keep turning to for some sane perspective when I beat myself up for life not turning out exactly as I expect. Written from a Buddhist perspective but I honestly think anyone could benefit from its simple yet radical advice on giving yourself a break :)
FurtherWithin
Jun 14, 2015 FurtherWithin rated it liked it
Cheri Huber has a down-to-Earth way of explaining inner conflict and strife. Wish I could afford one of her zen 'classes'...I want her in my head, foreva...:-)
Mary
Jul 08, 2008 Mary rated it liked it
still inthe process. this is one of those that I pick up from time to time and see what it has to say to me
Beth
Aug 14, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: life-lessons
It was great to read different people's perspectives on trying to meditate and find peace.
Michael Hegener
Jul 21, 2008 Michael Hegener rated it it was amazing
Cheri is one of my favorite authors. Straightforward and simple
Agnes
Agnes marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Peggy
Peggy marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Joshua Clark
Joshua Clark marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Harshit Aggarwal
Harshit Aggarwal marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Meaganrossin
Meaganrossin marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Carmella Chavez
Carmella Chavez marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
David Walker
David Walker marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Fahd Bangash
Fahd Bangash marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Darin
Darin marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Sam Mehoke
Sam Mehoke marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Michael Tuteur
Michael Tuteur marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Macklin
Macklin marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Namaste
Namaste marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Kirsty
Kirsty marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Ryan Malki
Ryan Malki marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
  • Visual Journaling: Going Deeper than Words
  • The Sexual Healing Journey: A Guide for Survivors of Sexual Abuse
  • Awakening Intuition: Using Your Mind-Body Network for Insight and Healing
  • A Universe of Consciousness: How Matter Becomes Imagination
  • The Bullying Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Social Aggression and Cyberbullying
  • Theories of Personality
  • The Grief Club: The Secret to Getting Through All Kinds of Change
  • Victims No Longer: Men Recovering from Incest and Other Sexual Child Abuse
  • You'd Be So Pretty If . . .: Teaching Our Daughters to Love Their Bodies--Even When We Don't Love Our Own
  • Beginning to Heal
  • The Gentle Art of Verbal Self Defense at Work
  • Psychology and the Human Dilemma
  • The Bully at Work
  • Secret Survivors
  • Don't Let Your Emotions Run Your Life for Teens: Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills for Helping Teens Manage Mood Swings, Control Angry Outbursts, an
  • Worthless: The Indispensible Guide to Choosing the Right Major
  • Beauty and the Soul: The Extraordinary Power of Everyday Beauty to Heal Your Life
  • Healing Sex: A Mind-Body Approach to Healing Sexual Trauma