Start by marking “Suffering Is Optional: Three Keys to Freedom and Joy” as Want to Read:
Suffering Is Optional: Three Keys to Freedom and Joy

Suffering Is Optional: Three Keys to Freedom and Joy

Suffering Is Optional: Three Keys to Freedom and Joy centers around three basic aspects of Zen practice: pay attention, believe nothing, and don’t take anything personally. As ending suffering requires that one sees how suffering happens, the book urges readers to be willing to be quiet and pay attention to the process of suffering in effort to see each moment as an opport ...more
Published March 1st 2002 by Keep It Simple Books

To ask other readers questions about Suffering Is Optional, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suffering Is Optional

May 28, 2016 Laura rated it liked it
This book offers a good taste of Buddhist teachings for the secular folk. It's filled with "activities" and people's responses to them that I skimmed through quickly, but there are some insights I gained that I imagine could help in a wide variety of challenging scenarios.

Here are Huber's central insights:

"We have no control over what we get in life, but we can learn to have every choice about how we respond. Choice is available to us when we let go of the illusion of control" (44).

"We 'believe
Lydia
Nov 12, 2015 Lydia rated it liked it
The format of this book is questions asked by the author and the responses are from her students. Some of the answers you can think "yes that is exactly how I feel!" and other answers make you think "what..? Where or how did they think that?!" So it's good at giving you different perspectives on the way in which people think about questions and interpret the world around them. Quick and easy read, and can be read in short increments when you have the time.
Patty
Oct 03, 2014 Patty rated it it was amazing
I first read this book seven years ago, and reading it again now, it is just as inspiring. Because this book is based on an email class, it's written in a sort of question-and-answer format, and it's very easy to relate to what the students are saying. That's why I think this is one of the best Cheri Huber books for a beginner to read. It changed my life.
Kara Christine
Oct 19, 2011 Kara Christine rated it it was amazing
Profound & life changing. This is one of those books I keep turning to for some sane perspective when I beat myself up for life not turning out exactly as I expect. Written from a Buddhist perspective but I honestly think anyone could benefit from its simple yet radical advice on giving yourself a break :)
Mary
Jul 08, 2008 Mary rated it liked it
still inthe process. this is one of those that I pick up from time to time and see what it has to say to me
FurtherWithin
Jun 14, 2015 FurtherWithin rated it liked it
Cheri Huber has a down-to-Earth way of explaining inner conflict and strife. Wish I could afford one of her zen 'classes'...I want her in my head, foreva...:-)
Lisa Coker
Lisa Coker rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2016
Hal Boyd
Hal Boyd rated it really liked it
May 06, 2015
Meg Kempert
Meg Kempert rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2011
Holly
Holly rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2013
Gianluca Barbetta
Gianluca Barbetta rated it liked it
May 19, 2014
AndreaZ
AndreaZ rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2009
Sterling Municipal Library
Sterling Municipal Library rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2016
Larry Lowndes
Larry Lowndes rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2014
Love
Love rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2012
Devon Gibson
Devon Gibson rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2014
Drakey
Drakey rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2013
Sarah rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2014
Siona
Siona rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2008
alisha
alisha rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2015
Dave Pelligrinelli
Dave Pelligrinelli rated it it was ok
Aug 04, 2014
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2009
Sherrin
Sherrin rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2012
Darrell Sennich
Darrell Sennich rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Aileen
Aileen rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2010
Kate Turner
Kate Turner rated it liked it
May 28, 2009
Isaac Nelson
Isaac Nelson rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2011
Russ watts
Russ watts rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2009
Nspirebliss Meyer
Nspirebliss Meyer rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2008
Gina
Gina rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Visual Journaling: Going Deeper than Words
  • The Sexual Healing Journey: A Guide for Survivors of Sexual Abuse
  • Awakening Intuition: Using Your Mind-Body Network for Insight and Healing
  • A Universe of Consciousness: How Matter Becomes Imagination
  • The Bullying Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Social Aggression and Cyberbullying
  • Theories of Personality
  • The Grief Club: The Secret to Getting Through All Kinds of Change
  • Victims No Longer: Men Recovering from Incest and Other Sexual Child Abuse
  • You'd Be So Pretty If . . .: Teaching Our Daughters to Love Their Bodies--Even When We Don't Love Our Own
  • Beginning to Heal
  • The Gentle Art of Verbal Self Defense at Work
  • Psychology and the Human Dilemma
  • The Bully at Work
  • Secret Survivors
  • Don't Let Your Emotions Run Your Life for Teens: Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills for Helping Teens Manage Mood Swings, Control Angry Outbursts, an
  • Worthless: The Indispensible Guide to Choosing the Right Major
  • Beauty and the Soul: The Extraordinary Power of Everyday Beauty to Heal Your Life
  • Healing Sex: A Mind-Body Approach to Healing Sexual Trauma