Start by marking “Rits” as Want to Read:
Rits

Rits

Boyds Mills Press publishes a wide range of high-quality fiction and nonfiction picture books, chapter books, novels, and nonfiction
Published April 1st 2008 by Front Street, Incorporated (first published April 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Rits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rits

Dawn Rutherford
Sep 26, 2016 Dawn Rutherford rated it liked it
Not bad. Fun glimpse at teen life in another country.
pandamans
"RiTS" addresses issues of divorce and depression through the journal writings of 13 year old Maurits (Rits). Writing in the journal is a new activity for Rits, and the entries begin short and choppy, but improve as the days go by. Sent to live with his Uncle Crorry during the Summer, it isn't immediately apparent why. Rits is reluctant to address the reasoning even in his writings. The story follows the progression of Rits' relationships with his new friends Rita and Eva as well as the budding ...more
Int'l librarian
Life is tragedy for 13-year-old Maurits. His father is travelling the world with his new girlfriend. His mom has suffered a nervous breakdown. Rits is forced to live with his Uncle Corry, who spends most of his time drunk on the couch. It’s not the most obvious foundation for a farce, but Rits is a master of unintentional comedy.

He’s also a master worrier, and I loved his descriptions of scurvy and “sagging brain.” As a journal narrator, Rits has a frustrating habit of introducing events and th
Sue
Jul 24, 2008 Sue rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people whom have lost their innocence, be it kiddo or adult
Bit slow moving at first, but it gets more and more interesting when you continue flipping the pages, you get to know more about the boy, his world, his thoughts (innocent yet straightforwardly mature yet funny, go figure :P), and when I reached the end, it felt like I have experienced part of this 13 year old boy's life -- bit subtle, bit loud, and at times, bit sad.

Heard this is Jongman's first try on children novel, I won't mind a sequel to it.
Erin Sterling
Rits is 13, has to stay with his boring Uncle Corry indefinitely, wants to be either a filmmaker or a writer, and is not having a good summer so far. Written through journal entries, this book is touching, funny, and thoughtful. I loved Rits's voice and his adventures with Rita, a neighbor his age who befriends him.
Emily
Jun 11, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it
I identified with Rits--a thirteen year old boy--so much it was scary. For some reason I had to put this book down, read other books, and then come back to it. I think the prose became a little too overwhelming and I needed a break. But I'm glad I finished.
Megan
Apr 24, 2008 Megan rated it really liked it
I'm lurvin' this so far

Rits was one of the most endearing characters I've come across in a long time. I especially love that he's a 13 y/o hypochondriac that is sure he has "brain sag".
Martijn Nicolaas
Martijn Nicolaas rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2014
Samanthadroppie
Samanthadroppie rated it did not like it
Dec 08, 2013
Cory
Cory rated it it was ok
May 11, 2008
Jeroen Van dijk
Jeroen Van dijk rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2013
Sybranda
Sybranda rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2014
Femke
Femke rated it did not like it
Mar 23, 2014
Jo
Jo rated it did not like it
Jul 14, 2011
Kira
Kira rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2012
Olaf Slootweg
Olaf Slootweg rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2014
Anja
Anja rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Laura rated it did not like it
Apr 03, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2010
Jantine
Jantine rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2016
Carly
Carly rated it really liked it
May 08, 2009
Jürgen Peeters
Jürgen Peeters rated it did not like it
Nov 17, 2012
Katelynn
Katelynn rated it it was ok
Jun 10, 2009
Theresa
Theresa rated it really liked it
May 06, 2009
Knyieacha Miller
Knyieacha Miller rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2011
Janie
Janie rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2011
Lotte
Lotte rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2015
Km
Km rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2014
Megan
Megan added it
Apr 24, 2008
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2008
Anna
Anna is currently reading it
Oct 25, 2008
Kaethe
Kaethe marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2009
Chili Public
Chili Public marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2009
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2012
Melissaf6
Melissaf6 marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2012
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2012
Iris
Iris added it
May 26, 2013
Elise
Elise added it
Oct 03, 2013
katie
katie marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2013
Maaike
Maaike added it
Feb 04, 2014
Vesper
Vesper marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Anja Peerdeman
Anja Peerdeman marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
So sad 1 7 Oct 25, 2008 06:15AM
1206394
Mariken Jongman schreef onder meer Rits, Kiek en Liefde, liefde, nog eens liefde. Voor dat laatste jeugdboek won ze in 2012 de prijs voor Het Beste Groninger Boek. Naast kinder- en jeugdboeken schrijft ze ook theaterstukken en liedjes.

More about Mariken Jongman...