Start by marking “Once-A-Month Cooking” as Want to Read:
Once-A-Month Cooking

Once-A-Month Cooking

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  278 ratings  ·  39 reviews
The perfect book for busy people who need to spend less time in the kitchen, yet don't want to sacrifice quality meals, whose authors provide two different, complete plans for cooking an entire months meals in a single day.
Published November 1st 1986 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Once-A-Month Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once-A-Month Cooking

Penelope
I came to this cookbook when it was recommended by another mom. Freezing a month's worth of meals by cooking one day was really appealing to me and so I decided to give it a shot. This cookbook did a great job of laying out the process of how to plan, shop for, and cook meals for a month very well.

Like many other reviewers, I didn't really like most of the recipes and only could find a few that I wanted to try. We enjoyed the few I tried, but if you are looking for a cookbook with great recipes
Melinda
I like the idea of having meals ready to heat up, but the amount of cooking they advocate doing in just two to three days was way more than I could manage for many years. I'm now to the point where I could maybe do a cooking marathon... but I no longer want to. Instead I've got a system of basic ingredients and a mental list of options to make with them, so when emergencies come up I can whip up something edible from what's on hand, and when I have more time I can assemble something more involve ...more
Erika
Haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but have marked a couple dozen to try. I knew when I fished it out of a bargain bin that I wouldn't be cooking every recipe or following their "cycles" to the letter, but looked forward to reading it for inspiration/technique as I try to do a better job of planning ahead and having meals in the freezer for busy evenings. With four active kids, we have a lot of crazy nights when having the time to cook and clean up is a challenge.

I would like to make the poi
Dani
I read the first version of this book years ago when I was a newlywed. I took the whole plan on faith, cooked every recipe, and hated it. Many of the recipes tasted good when fresh but awful when reheated. It is now 20 years later and with four kids and a job, I thought it might be time to try a newer edition of the book. After flipping through it, however, I could tell that most of the recipes for dishes that my kids wouldn't touch.

The benefit of this book is that is gives you the idea of what
Brook
It saved lots of money when we ate all the meals. most of the recipes were awesome. it was exhausting to follow there method without the proper tools. if you have the proper tools though it went fast and smooth. You need lots of freezer space. You need a rotating system. I found we ate all the meals we liked the most first then our freezer was full of the ones we did not like so much and sometimes did not get pulled out to be ate. then my husband began to complain it was wasting freezer space an ...more
Heidi
Bottom line: Great concept, but lackluster product.

The idea is that you spend one day shopping, one day cooking, and you fill your freezer with a month's worth of food. The menu is laid out for you, as is the shopping list and the order of preparation so you don't saute onions or chop chicken more than once.

I did a two-week plan, but with my family I was able to stretch that to a month's worth of food. Some recipes make two meals (one made four), and I only used frozen meals three or four times
Darby
I think the concept of this book is really an interesting idea. But what this book lacked for me was recipes. The recipes were repetitious using similar ingredients so you would end up with several nights in row eating similar tasting meals. Or they just had many processed foods and not a lot of creativity. Meals people see at a church potluck which is fine once in a while at home. If you have no idea how to start doing this - just reading this book might help a person sort through their own rec ...more
Emily
I really like the idea behind this book. I've tried a couple of the two week plans, which resulted in a fully stocked freezer with meals that we can pull out at any time.

However, I wasn't entirely satisfied with the book:

1. The grocery lists aren't accurate. I ended up with too much of some ingredients and not enough of others.

2. Some of the recipes aren't very good. Given some of the other errors in the book, it might be safe to assume that there are errors in the recipes too.

This book could h
Bonnie
I read this a long time ago and incorporated its methods into my life. It was a great method of having home cooked meals on hand even when working three jobs and going to night school as a single mother with three kids. The planning ahead and the weekend cooking days are a great way to make meals the only problem was two of my kids turned vegetarian and then vegan. I finally had to adapt for new dietary concerns but this is a great book and you can adapt your own recipes for the allergic kids or ...more
Jacqueline
I like the idea - cooking a lot at once and then having dinners ready to go in the freezer - but this book doesn't seem like the best way to go about it. The idea "doing all similar processes at once" makes sense, but most of the recipes require considerable assembly/time after they come out of the freezer. Also, a lot of the recipes just don't sound like they make good choices about what is important to do yourself vs. buy. For instance, they have you making your own spaghetti sauce but using l ...more
Jessietaylortanner
I was contemplating trying this method again, and thought I would read how others have successfully planned and completed it since I just winged it. It scared me out of trying it again. I'm not up for it. If you had the energy, then this book is meticulously planned and organized for you to jump right in. They did a fabulous job there- I didn't try any of the recipes, so I can't vouch there, but there does seem to be a lot of variation and suggestions on how to customize it for your own recipes. ...more
Rebecca
Great concept and the book is a useful starting point for developing your own Once-A-Month recipes. None of the recipes, however, are my style -- many involve processed foods or pre-packaged spices and seemed a little too high-calorie for me. The book is worth checking out from the library to learn more about the process, but don't buy it unless you first peruse the recipes to see if they are up your alley.
Jess
I really like this. It's a specific cookbook that has you cook 2-4 weeks of dinners in one day and then freeze them. It has several month's worth of recipes that are well-organized, easy to follow (and assemble), and taste really good. It gives you calendars, non-food materials lists (like how many freezer bags you'll need), and grocery lists. I liked this book much, much better than Dreamdinners.
Julie
Ugh! Just finished a month cycle of cooking! I'm exhausted, my feet hurt, there are definitely several mistakes in the book, but overall...I'm happy. I've liked all the recipes, I like knowing what can be frozen and I like that I have 31 great meals in my freezer (I split several recipes into 2 meals). I would never do a month cycle again, though, without a friend to cook with me.
Carla Miller
One of my go-to recipe books. I love having recipes made up and ready to go at a moments notice for my family.
Jessica
Because I like to cook, this method wouldn't work for me. Only cooking once a month? Why squeeze all the fun in one day?

Some of the recipes look good so I am going to give them a try and freeze some for later...for those nights when cooking dinner just isn't going to happen. I'll save my review until I actually taste some recipes.
Melissa
This seems like a great book. It has your recipes, grocery lists, and step by step instructiosn for putting meals together in one day. It looks very simple and easy. I had to return it to the library, so I didn't actually try it, but I may put this book on my Christmas list.
KaTe
This book was recommended to me by a friend and I did the 2 week/low fat cycle. I like 2/3 of the meals. The ingredient list was incomplete so I can't give full stars. It's a lot of work but worth it when you have a great dinner waiting for you in the freezer!
Hilary
It is a seriously awesome feeling to have 14-21 emergency meals in the freezer waiting for those crazy days you have no idea what to cook. LOVE IT! It is worth the afternoon of cooking, but not enough to make me do it more than once a month at most.
almost a must read for the beginning housewife. it teaches you how to plan and prepare meals for your family for weeks in advance.

great basic recipes to fall back on and all are able to be made in advance and frozen for later.
Dawn
I have no idea if cooking once a month is feasible but I'm willing to give it a try. If anyone else has any handy hints, recipes or has tried this, let me know! After cooking for 20 years for just ME, I'm now cooking for 5 of us. :)
Judy
Here's what you do. Buy a load of food and cook it all on one day, cut it up and freeze it in meal size packages, defrost and eat once a day. The list in the back of the book of what to talk about at the dinner table was odd.
Cathy
I think this is the best freezer meal cookbook I have seen. It is filled with wonderful recipes that I am dying to try. I love all the helpful advice the authors give for assembling the meals as well. Awesome book!
Sandie
Good recipes and meal planning advice. Many of the meals were not meals I would serve on a regular basis. They are inexpensive meals and meals that can be prepared in a pinch. Good book for a few of the recipes.
Lori
Creative idea, and I can see it being useful, but only if you happen to like all the meals they have on the plan. Sadly I didn't, which would make it a LOT more work. So maybe I'll revisit one day when I'm less picky.
Nancy
I don't buy into the once-a-month deal. But there are some good basic recipes in here that are keepers. I have tried two so far and have about 15 more flagged - a good sign of a recipe book that I will use!
Katie
I so can't do the "once a month" cooking thing. The thought of doing the shopping for all of those ingredients makes me tired just thinking about it.

I did get two recipes that look really good, though.
Melanie
Apr 15, 2013 Melanie marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
It was an unwise choice to read a book like this shortly before a cross-country move. The recipes seem less revolting than the ones in the Taylor-Hough book.

Try again later when we're resettled.
Loretta
This gives you the recipes as well as the grocery shopping list and even what containers to buy for freezing meals. The whole idea is to spend less time in the kitchen. An interesting concept !!
Cathi
A good book on the basics of once-a-month cooking. I have tried it in the past and really enjoyed being able to know a meal would be ready.

I have NOT tried the menu in this book.
  • Frozen Assets: Cook for a Day, Eat for a Month
  • Fix, Freeze, Feast: Prepare in Bulk and Enjoy by the Serving, More Than 125 Recipes
  • Dont Panic - Dinner's in the Freezer: Great-Tasting Meals You Can Make Ahead
  • More Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: 200 Brand-New, Budget-Friendly, Slow-Cooker Recipes
  • Even More Top Secret Recipes: More Amazing Kitchen Clones of America's Favorite Brand-Name Foods
  • Now Eat This! Diet
  • Mark Bittman's Quick and Easy Recipes from the New York Times
  • Saving Dinner: The Menus, Recipes, and Shopping Lists to Bring Your Family Back to the Table
  • The Best Make-Ahead Recipe
  • Still Life with Menu Cookbook
  • More Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: A Drop-Top Culinary Cruise Through America's Finest and Funkiest Joints
  • Family Feasts for $75 a Week: A Penny-wise Mom Shares Her Recipe for Cutting Hundreds from Your Monthly Food Bill
  • Food Network Magazine Great Easy Meals: 250 Delicious Recipes for the Whole Family
  • Perfect Recipes for Having People Over
  • Cooking 'Round the Clock: Rachael Ray's 30-Minute Meals
  • 101 Things to Do with Ramen Noodles
  • A Beautiful Bowl of Soup: The Best Vegetarian Recipes
  • Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
Once-a-month Cooking (Revised and Expanded Once a month cooking) Once-A-Month Cooking: A Time-Saving, Budget-Stretching Plan to Prepare Delicious Meals Once-A-Month Cooking Family Favorites, More Great Recipes That Save You Time and Money From The Inve Once-A-Month Cooking Family Favorites: More Great Recipes That Save You Time and Money from the Inventors of the Ultimate Do-Ahead Dinnertime Method Once-A-Month Cooking Family Favorites: More Great Recipes That Save You Time and Money from the Inventors of the Ultimate Do-Ahead Dinnerti