The Book of Runes: Read the Secrets in the Language of the Stones

The Book of Runes: Read the Secrets in the Language of the Stones

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Readers learn to decipher and harness the magic of the ancient Nordic runes "Feogh" symbolizes financial gain and status . . . "Thorn" stands for protection, defense, and caution. These and each of the runic alphabet's many other magic symbols have special meanings all their own. Author Francis Melville presents directions for making amulets and talismans to invoke the pow...more
Published February 1st 2003 by Barron's Educational Series (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Runes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Runes

Jackie
Interesting background on Norse mythology that I never new before. Very easy to read. Intriguing.
Brenda Jenkins Kleager
Extremely clear and practical. Full color pages.
Joshua
This book is great. I can't wait to make my own and try some rune casting of my own.
Fostergrants
Nov 25, 2007 Fostergrants rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: for fun
Shelves: learn-something
i'm not going to go out and buy any runes to play with but what i did like about this book was learning how simple and yet expressive these symbols could be. writing in other cultures and time periods is something i enjoy investigating. a couple of pointy symbols here and there and they could say the same thing we use 84 characters for. this book was fun.
Mark Woodland
Not bad, and copiously illustrated, but it was a bit tedious to read. I have a better book that came with a set of rune stones; less information overall, but more fun since it could be read interactively with using the stones. This book is a little overly-academic in comparison.
Jennifer Willis
This little book has been an invaluable resource in helping me begin to navigate runic magic. I used it as one of my source volumes when writing "Valhalla" and also "Iduna's Apples."

Oddly, my copy lists Francis Melville -- not Roni Jay -- as the author...?
linnea
Jan 05, 2010 linnea rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I have to admit, I wanted something more in depth. Oh well.
Scarlett
Scarlett marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Clover
Clover marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Lori
Lori added it
Apr 26, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
CJ
CJ marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Courteney Pepper
Courteney Pepper marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Seline
Seline marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2013
Aimee Davis
Aimee Davis marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2013
Vincent
Vincent marked it as to-read
May 17, 2013
Cassie
Cassie marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2013