Start by marking “The Book of Runes: Read the Secrets in the Language of the Stones” as Want to Read:
The Book of Runes: Read the Secrets in the Language of the Stones

The Book of Runes: Read the Secrets in the Language of the Stones

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  48 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Readers learn to decipher and harness the magic of the ancient Nordic runes "Feogh" symbolizes financial gain and status . . . "Thorn" stands for protection, defense, and caution. These and each of the runic alphabet's many other magic symbols have special meanings all their own. Author Francis Melville presents directions for making amulets and talismans to invoke the pow ...more
Published February 1st 2003 by Barron's Educational Series (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Runes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Runes

Publisher: Barron’s Educational Series
Language: English
Subject: Non-Fiction

*****
The Subject: Discover the history of the runes, the meaning of the runic alphabet, and the power of the secret symbols they contain.

Learn how to make your own runestones and how to use them for divination.

Harness the magic of the runes—make protective talismans, petition the help of the Norse gods and
Lieblingsbuch
Aug 31, 2015 Lieblingsbuch rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-purchase
This book presented the historical facts of runes in an illustrative and informative manner. I am not sure how accurate of it is. It seems to infer that we are not entirely sure about the meaning of all of the runes, and since it isn't quite specific on which runic meanings provided are debated or agreed upon by scholars, it is hard to know if the author just invented meanings for any of them. There's also a bit on how to use the magical powers of the runes at the end, by the way. Something whic ...more
Jackie
Jan 11, 2009 Jackie rated it liked it
Shelves: alternative
Interesting background on Norse mythology that I never new before. Very easy to read. Intriguing.
Brenda Jenkins Kleager
Feb 22, 2008 Brenda Jenkins Kleager rated it it was amazing
Shelves: runes
Extremely clear and practical. Full color pages.
Alexandra Chauran
May 08, 2015 Alexandra Chauran rated it liked it
This was a slick little book with beautiful, polished illustrations and photography. The book in itself would be a great complete guide for somebody who wants to make and use a rune set. However, there were some significant inconsistencies and seemingly arbitrary choices with the way that the information was presented. Perhaps the author had limited space, and so aspects and correspondences that were explained with one rune would be omitted for another.
Joshua
Feb 03, 2014 Joshua rated it it was amazing
This book is great. I can't wait to make my own and try some rune casting of my own.
Fostergrants
Nov 25, 2007 Fostergrants rated it liked it
Recommends it for: for fun
Shelves: learn-something
i'm not going to go out and buy any runes to play with but what i did like about this book was learning how simple and yet expressive these symbols could be. writing in other cultures and time periods is something i enjoy investigating. a couple of pointy symbols here and there and they could say the same thing we use 84 characters for. this book was fun.
Mark Woodland
Jul 28, 2011 Mark Woodland rated it liked it
Not bad, and copiously illustrated, but it was a bit tedious to read. I have a better book that came with a set of rune stones; less information overall, but more fun since it could be read interactively with using the stones. This book is a little overly-academic in comparison.
Jennifer Willis
Mar 22, 2012 Jennifer Willis rated it it was amazing
This little book has been an invaluable resource in helping me begin to navigate runic magic. I used it as one of my source volumes when writing "Valhalla" and also "Iduna's Apples."

Oddly, my copy lists Francis Melville -- not Roni Jay -- as the author...?
linnea
Jan 05, 2010 linnea rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
I have to admit, I wanted something more in depth. Oh well.
G. Robins
G. Robins is currently reading it
Apr 16, 2016
Elayne Glantzberg
Elayne Glantzberg marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Beatrice Villaflor
Beatrice Villaflor rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Nikita Hill
Nikita Hill rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Jessica Green
Jessica Green rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016
C.
C. added it
Jan 28, 2016
Amber Anthony
Amber Anthony rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2015
Bespectacledbeauty
Bespectacledbeauty marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Sarah rated it it was ok
Nov 04, 2015
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Martina Johnson
Martina Johnson rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2015
Heather Harden
Heather Harden marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Sheila Hass
Sheila Hass rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2015
Laura Dogsmom
Laura Dogsmom marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Darmus
Darmus added it
Apr 06, 2015
Seregon O'Dassey
Seregon O'Dassey rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2015
Rebecca Solem
Rebecca Solem marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015