Start by marking “Travels of William Bartram” as Want to Read:
Travels of William Bartram

Travels of William Bartram

For years, serious naturalists have treasured their copies of Francis Harper's naturalist's edition of The Travels of William Bartram as the definitive version of Bartram's pioneering survey. Complete with notes and commentary, an annotated index, maps, a bibliography, and a general index, this classic is now back in print for the first time in decades. Harper's knowledge ...more
Published June 1st 2007 by Cosimo Classics (first published June 1st 1928)

To ask other readers questions about Travels of William Bartram, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Travels of William Bartram

Douglas Dalrymple
Oct 30, 2014 Douglas Dalrymple rated it really liked it
Just about the time the American colonies were forcibly dissolving the political bands which had connected them to England, William Bartram was running around the wilds of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida looking for undiscovered plants and making sketches of alligators. His father, John Bartram of Philadelphia, was a noted naturalist and proprietor of a profitable nursery that supplied New World trees, shrubs and flowers to Old World gardens (read more about him in Andrea Wulf's The Brother ...more
Josh
I'll start by stating that any potential reader of this book should probably have a real love for the subject/content within if you want to finish it. Those things alone are worth 4-5 stars but, unfortunately, they aren't enough to overcome a rather boring read.

I really struggled to get through all 700+ pages and I actually love the material and have done many miles on the Bartram Trail. I'd really been looking forward to reading this, but I just felt no connection with him and it felt so imper
Henry Veggian
Dec 17, 2015 Henry Veggian rated it really liked it
Bartram's book captures, as no other colonial American book does, the transition from Enlightenment neo-classicism to early Romanticism. Every so often Bartram pauses to offer a panoramic view, a habit that anticipates the novels of Cooper. It's clear to see also why Coleridge admired Bartram's book - the early paragraph on the "sublime" in the Travels might be said to anticipate much 19th century writing. In all, this is a remarkable, under-appreciated work that is deceptively easy to read; the ...more
Christy
Aug 14, 2007 Christy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with a great deal more patience than I.
Despite my interest in nature writing and travel narratives, I hated this book. In fact, my boredom with this book was such that when I saw the movie Cold Mountain not long after reading Bartram, the most unbelievable part of the whole movie (and there were many things that were hard to believe in this movie) was that, upon being given a copy of this book, people actually enjoyed it.
Humphrey
Feb 16, 2016 Humphrey rated it liked it
Bartram's a pretty fun dude. Idiosyncratically perceptive when it comes to natural life, communities in nature, and the "volition" of animals and plants, this text is also fascinating for its historical context: the dissolution of colonialism and the rise of the national era, after a wave of indigo and rice plantation failures.
Amanda
Oct 15, 2007 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He's a bit sentimental, but a must-read for Floridians. Check out this great description of the crocodile: " Clouds of smoke issue from his dilated nostrils. The earth trembles with his thunder." !!! How can you beat that?
Krista
I couldn't get into this one. I didn't last very long, just a couple of chapters. I know that there's good stuff here (I've read some great quotes out of this book), but couldn't get past the sentences that went on for pages to find it. I don't think that I even read enough to rate it.
Charles
Aug 17, 2014 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: natural-history
Not a book to read at one sitting but a great reference that provides insight into historical natural history. Also, remember that this book is a collection of field notes and observations. It is depressing to read about the clarity of streams that now are muddy, never to be clear again.
John
Apr 14, 2015 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting look at exploration of New America in the 1770's. Bartram's inventory of geography and anthropologic finds is an entertaining record of the times.
Nicolette
Nov 08, 2009 Nicolette rated it really liked it
So far, it is a beautiful, lyrical account of the flora of colonial America...I am looking forward to reading more.
Patrick
Mar 29, 2010 Patrick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting for cross referencing, and some unique naturalist insights into particular regions/dates. On a whole, not sure if I would visit this one again.
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2013
John
John rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2014
Poobird
Poobird rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2014
Zach
Zach rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2014
Tyler Davison
Tyler Davison rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2014
Matt Weaver
Matt Weaver rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2015
Butch Larkin
Butch Larkin rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2012
Rozzer
Rozzer rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2012
Jonathan D Craft
Jonathan D Craft rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2016
Michelle Schohn
Michelle Schohn rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2016
Steve Salisbury
Steve Salisbury rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2008
Christian
Christian rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2011
Erik
Erik rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2013
Nehoffmann
Nehoffmann rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2015
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was ok
Aug 14, 2015
Madalyn
Madalyn rated it it was ok
May 15, 2014
Butch Larkin
Butch Larkin rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2012
Luke Iantorno
Luke Iantorno rated it it was ok
Apr 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Andrew Jackson and His Indian Wars
  • The Indian Slave Trade: The Rise Of The English Empire In The American South, 1670-1717
  • Martin's Hundred
  • God, Dr. Buzzard, and the Bolito Man: A Saltwater Geechee Talks About Life on Sapelo Island, Georgia
  • The Invasion of America: Indians, Colonialism, and the Cant of Conquest (Norton Library)
  • Our Southern Highlanders: A Narrative of Adventure in the Southern Appalachians and a Study of Life Among the Mountaineers
  • The Transformation of Virginia, 1740-1790
  • The Ecological Indian: Myth and History
  • Finding Amelia: The True Story of the Earhart Disappearance [With DVD]
  • The Scotch-Irish: A Social History
  • The Hard Way: Stories of Danger, Survival, and the Soul of Adventure
  • Maiden Voyages: Writings of Women Travelers
  • An Island Out of Time: A Memoir of Smith Island in the Chesapeake
  • Exploring the Lusitania: Probing the Mysteries of the Sinking That Changed History
  • Feud: Hatfields, McCoys, and Social Change in Appalachia, 1860-1900