Start by marking “Trespassers Will Be Baptized: The Unordained Memoir of a Preacher's Daughter” as Want to Read:
Trespassers Will Be Baptized: The Unordained Memoir of a Preacher's Daughter

Trespassers Will Be Baptized: The Unordained Memoir of a Preacher's Daughter

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Growing up Southern and Baptist in Eastern Kentucky, Elizabeth Hancock's world revolved around Sunday School, foreign missions projects, revival meetings and of course, the Kentucky Wildcats, who "glorified God through their goal-shattering, soul-shattering play." Hancock chronicles her childhood misadventures with sardonic wit, detailing her and her sister Meg's mischievo
Published June 4th 2008 by Center Street (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Trespassers Will Be Baptized, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trespassers Will Be Baptized

Amy
If I could I would give this book 4.5 stars. It was great. I picked it up off the local library's recommended biographies cart (for their next book club discussion, which I really had no plan to attend) and thought the title was hilarious and the premise interesting.

And the book was hilarious - I laughed so hard I was crying almost uncontrollably at one point. But then, a few chapters from the end, I looked up from my reading and realized that somewhere the book had taken a subtle, expertly-wie
Nancy
This is a memoir of a daughter of a KY baptist minister growing up in the 80s. It is funny and sweet and I enjoyed it very much.....made me think of so many PKs I knew. If you don't know what a PK is, you probably need to read the book. Having a baptist friend to translate for you might help, but everyone can relate to things in this book including the overwhelming seduction of the acid wash jean. The title alone cracks me up. I hope to someday myself obtain the status and reverence of The Blueg ...more
Sherrie

"Trespassers Will be Baptized" by Elizabeth Emerson Hancock
(from inside flap)

Growing up Southern and Baptist in eastern Kentucky, Elizabeth Hancock lived in a world that revolved around church, foreign missions projects, revival meetings, and of course, the Kentucky Wildcats.
In Trespassers Will be Baptized, Hancock draws us into her riotous tales of childhood misadventures, recounting her and her sister Meg's mischievous--if harmless--abuses of pastoral power: stealing Guess jeans from the Afri
Sandra H.
Wow. I picked up this book based on the great press (mostly the Southern Living review, I'm a devout fan), and I was not disappointed. The book is laugh-out-loud hilarious, and does a wonderful job of capturing coming-of-age in the context of a faith family. However, it's not ALL comedy for this author. I noticed that a reviewer below found this book "too light." Hmmm...weeeellll...the book describes the trauma and heartbreak this family endured while a beloved relative was in a decade-long coma ...more
Shawna
This was a very sweet book. I am leery of books that present an uncritical look at the indoctrination of organized religion and the damage that it can do. However, Hancock presented the misconceptions that she grew up believing as a preacher's kid in a kind and loving way. The chapters are interconnected well and the last chapter reveals itself splendidly, bittersweet -- showing the boundaries (or limitations of religious faith). You realize that preachers are just normal guys who struggle to ca ...more
Kimberly
I was looking for a light book read and, to that note, this book performed. Unfortunately, I found it to be too light. I was hoping to laugh out loud-it solicited only an occasional smile. I was hoping to identify with the author as I myself grew up in the West Virginia/Ohio/Kentucky Southern Baptist region; I saw a few of my friends in the pages but nothing I could really bite into.

I did, however, pick it up on sale so it wasn't a total bust.
Madameugly
Solidly written and entertaining BUT the overall tone left a bad aftertaste. There's something about a memoir written where the adult writer layers sarcastic wisdom onto a child self that is far too young for such sophistication that smacks of child beauty pageants.

A few of the tales were forced and cloying in their sweetness. But the true gem is "The Relic of Saint Margaret". (for me Hancock's sister Meg was more interesting than the author)
Alison
Amusing light read, perfect for metro commuting. Beware of over-the-shoulder snoopers who see chapter titles such as "Faithfulness" and think you are reading a Christian inspirational tome. I was reading this one day on the metro, and this guy asked me about it, saying it's so rare to see people concerned with faith. When I explained it wasn't quite about that, he asked if I wanted to hear about Jesus. Thank someone my stop was next!
Melodi
It was just another memoir. It is about a girl who was raised Southern Baptist and her father was the minister. She definetely had a cute way of writing, but I got a little bored with the context. I didn't really see her life as all that fantastic to write about. I liked A Girl Named Zippy better for sure.
Mark
I was interested in the book because she's from my "tribe" (she grew up a Southern Baptist P.K.) and because my boys are walking in her shoes (so to speak) but I ended up not finishing it.

The writing is stilted and her tone is uneven. She doesn't seem to be able to decide whether she wants to write a memoir or a series of funny "can't believe how stupid church folks can be" stories.
Patricia
Very different from what I normally read. It's not a downer, nor is it uplifting, and for that, I love it. It is pretty funny in quite a few parts, and I love it for that as well. It's not preachy, it's a woman, telling her story, trying to put her adult eyes back behind her eyes as a child and then let us know what she experienced when she was little. I recommend it :)
Jamie
This book was recommended to me by my mother in law. It's a great book that could have been written about me. I think anyone who grew up Southern Baptist would appreciate this book. Those of you whose parents were in the ministry will enjoy it even more. The book is very funny and contains all the essential Southern Baptist humor.
Alicia J
With the exception of never being a pastor's daughter, this book was like reading my own childhood. I can't imagine many people who weren't raised Southern Baptist actually enjoying or relating to it, but for those of us with SBC in our history (whether we like it or not (and for me that's a not)) it's quite enjoyable.
Stacy268
I do love the memoir, and this one looks at growing up in Kentucky as the daughter of a Baptist preacher. I was expecting more of a Jesus Land feel, but that is not the case at all. Emy was a child of great faith and we watch her struggle as she realizes that maybe her daddy can't fix everything.
Daisy
All the great press this book has received is well-deserved. It's a gem of a memoir, worth reading not because it's about some life that's extraordinary or farfetched or just unbelievable, but because it's familiar, warm, and funny as heck. Anyone who ever sat on a pew as a child should get it.
Sharon
I had high hopes for this book and was not disappointed. I was able to relate to the author so well, being the daughter of an ordained minister myself, but I think that anyone would find this a good read. Amusing stories with a poignant punch. Definitely recommended.
Ronn
I got about 75 pages in and realized that I was wasting my time. There are parts that are mildly amusing, but nothing more than that. And I suddenly felt like I was reading "The Making of a Fundamentalist Neocon". Someone else is going to enjoy this, but not me.
Melissa
I started this book at the end of last school year and enjoyed the short and funny memories of the author. However, the funny episodes ended and we had to deal with the death of a grandmother and the preacher's decision to change careers. Not so great at the end.
Liz
I think that everyone would like this book. It's funny and poignant. However, as a 29 year-old PK, I definitely recommend it to PKs and parents of PKs. When I finished the book, I just wanted to call my dad and tell him that I was proud to be his kid.
Renee
An interesting book. It was definitely not quite what I expected, but it had a twist of humor that I really enjoyed.

It put a very human face and voice on a pastor and his family, as perceived by his young (I thought almost too young) daughter.
Heather
May 15, 2010 Heather marked it as to-read
I have already read this once from a library edition, and when I found it half price the other day I couldn't pass up the chance to own it and am looking forward to reading it again, it is hysterical!
Mary Chambers
Truth is stranger than fiction. That's why I love a memoir. I could totally relate to this one and enjoyed it. Of course, into every life a little rain must fall. It was handled with grace and love.
Wanda
What a nice family. The way these PKs thought about their positions as PKs, and religion was funny. However, they had to learn the hard lesson that nothing stays the same.
Karen B
I was hoping for more humorous stories from Ms Hancock, but on the whole this was an enjoyable book. It did give a peek into what it was like to be a child of a minister.
Julia Nixon
Since my husband was a Baptist minister for a few years, I enjoyed reading this very realistic book that explores a child's view of the ministry and religion.
Arlene Brown
This book is too funny. "This is a close as you can get to southern Church life without eating your weight in velveeta."
Lynn
It had potential but the author's tone irritated me too much. Still had some funny and interesting stories though.
Hope
This book was...well, just ok. Laugh out loud funny at times, boring at times... And too preachy at the end.
Kevin
started this and then it got just plain dumb. not a good enough story and writing was not easy to read
Jenn
A light memoir from a Kentucky, Baptist preacher's kid. It was okay. Funny in parts. Boring in parts.
Author's blog 1 11 Sep 07, 2008 03:44PM
Facebook Page 1 11 Jun 09, 2008 02:22PM
  • The Sacred Echo: Hearing God's Voice in Every Area of Your Life
  • Once an Arafat Man: The True Story of How a PLO Sniper Found a New Life
  • The Bread of Angels: A Memoir of Love and Faith
  • Love and Consequences: A Memoir of Hope and Survival
  • Novel Destinations: Literary Landmarks From Jane Austen's Bath to Ernest Hemingway's Key West
  • Love as a Way of Life: Seven Keys to Transforming Every Aspect of Your Life
  • James Madison (American Presidents, #4)
  • He Loves Me!: Learning to Live in the Father's Affection
  • Nathan Hale: The Life and Death of America's First Spy
  • Wild Goose Chase: Reclaim the Adventure of Pursuing God
  • Beyond Smells and Bells: The Wonder and Power of Christian Liturgy
  • The Bishop's Daughter
  • Samuel Adams: A Life
  • Paradise Lust: Searching for the Garden of Eden
  • Here's to Not Catching Our Hair on Fire: An Absent-Minded Tale of Life with Giftedness and Attention Deficit - Oh Look! A Chicken!
  • You Are Good at Things: A Checklist