Start by marking “Cults in Our Midst: The Continuing Fight Against Their Hidden Menace” as Want to Read:
Cults in Our Midst: The Continuing Fight Against Their Hidden Menace

Cults in Our Midst: The Continuing Fight Against Their Hidden Menace

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Cults today are bigger than ever, with broad ramifications for national and international terrorism. In this newly revised edition of her definitive work on cults, Singer reveals what cults really are and how they work, focusing specifically on the coercive persuasion techniques of charismatic leaders seeking money and power. The book contains fascinating updates on Heaven ...more
Published April 11th 2003 by Jossey-Bass (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Cults in Our Midst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cults in Our Midst

Lena
Margaret Singer has been studying cults and cult survivors for decades, and this book is a thorough overview of the many aspects of this complex subject. Written for the mainstream, the book is clearly written and very readable, although her detailed descriptions of the abuse suffered by some cult members can be disturbing.

I found the book to be very useful in helping me to better understand where a spiritual group crosses the line from something that benefits its members to something that expl
Sarah Keliher
Fine run-through of the various mind-altering and brainwashing techniques employed by modern cults. Also, I was pleased to see a section devoted to those crappy new-agey motivational programs which are forever being pushed on me by devotees. (I work in a store with a large metaphysical section in an area with a large number of actual cult members. They can be hard to avoid.) However, if you're actually interested in the history and development of modern cults, this book will be disappointing. It ...more
Mindi Rosser
Do you know someone who suffered from cults in our modern culture? This book provides relevant background about cult methodology and cult recovery for survivors.

Here's my video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKPhWa...

Growing up in a cult, I felt that I turned my back upon God and religion when I left the group. I assumed my feelings were unique, the judgment of a higher power angered by my desertion. Through reading Cults in Our Midst, I discovered that every cult survivor feels these em
Oleg Kagan
In Cults in our Midst, Margaret Thaler Singer writes a book offering her decades of research to a popular audience. Cults are a difficult topic to discuss without putting a stigma on current and former cult members, but Thaler Singer does it. Many times while reading this book I felt that it was speaking directly to current and former cult members.

For me, not having been a cult member, Cults in our Midst satisfied an interest in the influence of charismatic leaders, mind control, and group dynam
Tonirose
Very intriguing title...although written in a very bias manner.
Chris Beal
This is a good book by an expert on this subject, focusing on all aspects of cults. If I have a gripe, it is that the author is limited by her rationalism. In my opinion, cults draw people in part because of the genuine need to explore consciousness, and Singer doesn't recognize this but rather believes that when people join a cult, it is only because of the combination of stress in a person's life and a cult's success in using that stress for its own deceitful purposes.
Tony
I lost a friend when Heaven's Gate met the comet so those parts were especially interesting to me. Singer is generally cautious about naming names because some of the cults have nearly unlimited resources to retaliate on their critics. Also of note is the pervasiveness and tenacity of some cults in the corporate setting. Cults are differentiated from religions in terms of who benefits, the leader or the supplicant.
Judy
This book is an excellent study of the cult waves that keep popping up. Forewarned is forearmed and chances are you will be approached by someone, sometime. The author is also on youtube and has very interesting things to say.

I like how she says that you don't 'join' a cult- you are recruited. And, let's be frank, people don't commit 'suicide' at the meltdowns, they are murdered.
Monica
I read this as research for a psyc project. Very good details about what cults are, how they recruit people, what they do that is harmful to people, and how the author treats former cult members. Whats always so interesting is that its just regular people who are targeted and recruited.
Pat
This book almost jumped off the shelf and into my hands. Bought and read while still a member of a cult. Totally correct and enlightening for someone who has a loved one in a cult or someone in or just out of a cult. Easy to read and easy to understand.
Expose Austin Texas Duty To Care For Others
Classic book on the variety and plethora of cults that have spread throughout the USA: she also described the secretive stratagems that cult leaders use in everyday settings. One of the stratagems discussed is a closed system of logic.
Cult
Read this in my studies of cults, and though biased from Christian perspective, well worth the read including valuable research and insightful information.
Sharon
I believe this is a must read, period. It looks into many facets of cults from Am Way to various religions and what to look out for.
Melissa Reid
Gave me some good insights into La luz del mundo...If you want to borrow, I would certainly lend it out.
Melissa
for all MBA victims, this is a must read!
rabbitprincess
Why did I borrow this? I was a strange kid.
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Eletta0925 Fouche
Eletta0925 Fouche marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Melinda Mayes
Melinda Mayes marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Haley
Haley marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Laura Jones
Laura Jones marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Sophie Overett
Sophie Overett marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Brian Myers
Brian Myers marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Thought Reform and the Psychology of Totalism: A Study of 'Brainwashing' in China
  • Combatting Cult Mind Control: The #1 Best-selling Guide to Protection, Rescue, and Recovery from Destructive Cults
  • Killing the Messenger: A Story of Radical Faith, Racism's Backlash, and the Assassination of a Journalist
  • Jesus Freaks: A True Story of Murder and Madness on the Evangelical Edge
  • Cults, Conspiracies, and Secret Societies: The Straight Scoop on Freemasons, The Illuminati, Skull and Bones, Black Helicopters, The New World Order, and many, many more
  • Feet of Clay: A Study of Gurus
  • Monkey on a Stick: Murder, Madness and the Hare Krishnas
  • Mystics, Mavericks, and Merrymakers: An Intimate Journey Among Hasidic Girls
  • The Rebbe's Army: Inside the World of Chabad-Lubavitch
  • Japanese Schoolgirl Confidential: How Teenage Girls Made a Nation Cool
  • Heaven's Harlots: My Fifteen Years as a Sacred Prostitute in the Children of God Cult
  • Every Knee Shall Bow
  • Karma Cola: Marketing the Mystic East
"Crazy" Therapies: What Are They? Do They Work? අප අතර සැරිසරන ඇදහිලි කල්ලි Sekten.