Start by marking “Act of Faith” as Want to Read:
Act of Faith

Act of Faith

Ali Anderson is determined to stand on her own two feet—even if it means spending Christmas alone. Because for Ali, Christmas is not the season of good cheer, but a poignant reminder of the tragedy that not long ago tore her life apart and destroyed her once-happy marriage to Elliot. But an invitation to spend the holidays at the home of her best friend will change her ...more
Published June 1st 2001 by Orion Publishing (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Act of Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Act of Faith

Soumanta Das
Mar 08, 2013 Soumanta Das rated it liked it
This was my first encounter with a novel that demanded a certain level of emotional maturity,at-least regarding close family relations. Henceforth, majority readers might not completely feel the same way I do about this novel.
I must,however,appreciate Erica James' attempt to illustrate how an act fueled by over-confident impetuosity can lead to permanent damages. The simple prose,and the lucid yet meaningful conversations are an definite attraction. And if you are looking for a serious,unexpecte
Naomi
Jul 30, 2012 Naomi rated it it was ok
Ali has lost her son, which led to her and her husband getting divorced. Despite her grief she still tries to rescue her best friend, Sarah, from her miserable marriage with Trevor.

This book was ok- when I got into it I enjoyed it but I always found it difficult to pick up and read. It was a bit boring in places.
Liz
Oct 22, 2015 Liz rated it liked it
I thought the plot idea was very good and whilst some aspects of the story were predictable there were others that came as a surprise. Lots of description and some repetitive scenes meant this book did drag on and I was relieved to finish it!
Donnavinyard
Sep 01, 2012 Donnavinyard rated it it was ok
Ok, very predictable.
Ciiku
Mar 06, 2012 Ciiku rated it liked it
It could have been shorter.... I felt like it dragged on forever! But it was an ok read
Sue
Oct 20, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main character is Ali, a young, motivated and successful accountant who was very happily married until a terrible tragedy happened a couple of years before the novel opens; we learn what it was in the first chapter, although details are not filled in until later in the book.

Erica James has quite a gift of characterisation, and despite quite a big cast, it was easy for me to keep track. Sam, Ali's father-in-law, is particularly likeable person; a voice of common sense and wisdom.

It’s a chara
Nat
Oct 21, 2015 Nat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: women-s-fiction
I'm still relatively new to Erica James work, having previously only read 'Paradise House' - which, by the way, was a lovely story. Act of Faith deals with the multitude of emotions caused by life situations which many of us have had to experience. The writer deals with the circumstances and emotions felt by the characters in an educated and empathetic way, and the religious aspects of the story which illustrate the disagreements, confusion and conflict which is all too common in our everyday ...more
The Cats Mother
Middling english chook-lit set in a Cheshire village. Sarah and Ali have been friends since school. Ali has a successful career but lost her marriage when her son died as a toddler and can't get past her grief which makes her a complete cow. Sarah is married to an odious heavily religious idiot she married at Uni because she got pregnant and is a complete doormat. Not much happens until Ali decides to try and get Sarah out of her marriage by doing something incredibly stupid and arrogant - which ...more
Lynda
Apr 25, 2015 Lynda rated it it was ok
This was a book reading over lots of emotions..how a toddlers death can break up a marriage.
Then how long friendships can lead to you wanting to help that person change their life for the better.

I was not at all taken in by the main person in this story..she was very sure of her self..a bit too sure!

How the best friend and ex husband put up with her was a mystery?
Sad in places but unbelievable in others.

May 30, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I have to say, I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the others that I have read by Erica James. I did up to a certain point until the main character did something so unspeakably stupid and hurtful that it felt like I was part of the story and was a character who was part of the consequence of this stupid act. The again, that is part of the skill of Erica James' writing, she always draws you in so you are completely involved with the story.
Ceh
Mar 07, 2016 Ceh rated it liked it
At first i struggled to read this book. I couldnt wrap my head round all her bad vibe despite the knowledge that shed lost her child. i trudged on and empathised and was able to get through the first 2 chapters of negativity. I could tell she was intentionally being mean to her hubby and honestly it almost put me off the book. once past that however, i enjoyed the book
S. L Lewis
Jun 30, 2012 S. L Lewis rated it it was amazing
I was given this book to read from a family member and when I started it, I was surprised I was gripped. Not my usual type of read but it is well written, the characters are so engaging and with so many themes and issues thrown in from each character, you never have time to get bored. With grief, real life situations and showing how far a relationship can be tested, this is a must read!
Victoria Kator
Apr 05, 2016 Victoria Kator rated it it was ok
really slow, really long, just two sad/heavy subjects. i had to read/skim to the end though to see how it ended. i felt so bad and sorry for all these characters. and just when i thought it would be an "okay" book it went WACKY and i hated the twist. glad the ending sort of revived it all. not a fan of this one.
Andrea Howarth-Salazar
As always with Erica James's novels, the characters come alive and make you care about what happens to them. The characters and their emotions are skilfully drawn throughout the novel, eliciting an empathetic response from the reader.
Sue
Jun 28, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read by Erica James and I enjoyed it. It made me laugh and made me cry and I could have cheerfully strangled a couple of characters for their frustrating behaviour. It was a little long, a little drawn out but I would definitely read more by this author.
Glenys
Aug 10, 2013 Glenys rated it it was ok
Picked this up in the hospital waiting room where they have paperbacks to borrow during a long wait for a delayed appointment. Undemanding and I did read happily enough right through to the end. Rather a romantic potboiler I'm afraid; not my favourite genre.
Gerda
Jan 09, 2013 Gerda rated it it was ok
This book could easily loose 200 pages if not more, the story drags on and on. It's also too predictable, you know how it's going to end from page 1. Good writing style though.
Kim Solleder
Jan 22, 2015 Kim Solleder rated it liked it
I liked this book but not as much as some Erica James books,,, it was a bit strange in some places and I nearly lost interest, but she is a good writer so she kept me reading
Lyndsey
Apr 28, 2011 Lyndsey rated it it was amazing
Another good well written book this was slightly different from her normal why of writing and had a few different twists to it which help my interest.
Jess Alway
Jul 02, 2012 Jess Alway rated it it was ok
In my opinion, this book wasn't one of the very best by the author but I can not complain as it told a wonderful story.
Michelle Sibley
Mar 15, 2013 Michelle Sibley rated it it was amazing
Good book. Loved Elliott from the beginning. Such a nice guy. Glad Sarah finally saw sense. The blurb for this book didnt really so it justice - much darker than what i was lead to believe.
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was ok
Jul 05, 2010
Susie
Susie rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2012
Sue Craighill
Sue Craighill rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Leanne
Leanne rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2012
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2011
Jade
Jade rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Jane Kenyon
Jane Kenyon rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2015
Ruth Buckley
Ruth Buckley rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2015
  • Country Pursuits (Churchminster #1)
  • A Married Man
  • Living la Vida Loca
  • Trouble in the Village (Tales from Turnham Malpas #8)
  • The Perfect Man
  • It's Now or Never: The No-Nonsense Guide to Leadership
  • Prefects of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #58)
With an insatiable appetite for other people's business, Erica James will readily strike up conversation with strangers in the hope of unearthing a useful gem for her writing. She finds it the best way to write authentic characters for her novels, although her two grown-up sons claim they will never recover from a childhood spent in a perpetual state of embarrassment at their mother's compulsion.

T
More about Erica James...