Start by marking “The Perfect Wrong Note: Learning to Trust Your Musical Self” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Wrong Note: Learning to Trust Your Musical Self

The Perfect Wrong Note: Learning to Trust Your Musical Self

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  10 reviews
(Amadeus). In this groundbreaking book, prize-winning pianist and noted educator William Westney helps readers discover their own path to the natural, transcendent fulfillment of making music. Drawing on experience, psychological insight, and wisdom ancient and modern, Westney shows how to trust yourself and set your own musicality free. He offers healthy alternatives for...more
Published June 1st 2006 by Amadeus Press (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Wrong Note, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Wrong Note

Hannah
I started this book for my own practice, but quickly incorporated the ideas into my own teaching as well. This book began my informal study into physical learning and self-expression, and I am still at the very beginning of this exploration. There are a lot of problems with the way music is generally taught, which has a lot to do with the fact that many students become discouraged and quit. Returning to an exploratory and not-judgmental approach to learning is ultimately more satisfying, and mor...more
Kat
I think the only bad part of this book is the title, which makes it sound like a self-help book. It's a lot more academic than that, and is probably more useful to music teachers than music students. It does have really fabulous suggestions for effective practicing though, minimizing frustration and time spent by paying careful attention to the specific mistakes we're making and what information the body is trying to convey through its choice of mistakes.
Ruth
I loved this book. It's a musician's practical and psychological guide to music-making, and how to approach both the learning AND teaching of music, turning aside from approaches that exacerbate perfectionist self-criticism and celebrating approaches that free the musician to learn from and even enjoy those "juicy mistakes" in the practice room and in the performance hall. Really,in many ways,this book is applicable to life as much (and maybe more) than it is to music. It's just as great as 'The...more
msjoonee
A mind-clearing, thought-provoking look at how to make an honest, positive connection with music and how to come to terms with ourselves when we sit down to embark on that most humbling of experiences...practicing a musical instrument.

The perfect book to pick up when you feel that you are starting to lose the joy in music making and are instead dreading the thought of practicing. An important addition to the library of any musician or music teacher (of which i am both).
Lacie
Exceptional book. (with a few disclaimers)

Full review coming soon.
Bunnydozer
Oct 11, 2007 Bunnydozer marked it as to-read
Shelves: sitting
I tutor regularly, and this book gave me a new perspective on how people learn and teach. I wasn't all the way through when the new Harry Potter came out. Me being a big dork, I put this one down to start the new book. I've been distracted since but I definatly want to finish this one.
Joe
Interesting. I'm looking for and reading books on music practice and music theory. This one explores some of the more psychological aspects of music performance and practice. It has brought the "Delacroix' method to my attention.
Xiaoyu Li
Good book, not just for music, but for other things.
If we want do our best, please feel our heart, let our body know what we want, go ahead, even in a mistake.
Nancy
Mar 06, 2012 Nancy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: music
An extremely helpful book for pianists, especially those who have lost their love for music in perfectionism. Very helpful for restoring joy to practicing.
Valerie
Very illuminating, even after so many years in the profession.
Charles
Charles is currently reading it
Oct 01, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Gina Choi
Gina Choi marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Christa Sigman
Christa Sigman marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Yee-Ning S.
Yee-Ning S. marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Ana Bananabrain
Ana Bananabrain marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Jap_e
Jap_e is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2014
Rosemary
Rosemary marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
JaNeal
JaNeal marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Timi
Timi added it
May 15, 2014
Madison Deppe
Madison Deppe marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Dallas
Dallas marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Heller - Selected Piano Studies, Opus 45 and 46: Schirmer Performance Editions Series (Hal Leonard Student Piano Library) Edvard Grieg - Selected Lyric Pieces: With a CD of Performances Schirmer Performance Editions Britain, Italy and the Origins of the Cold War