Start by marking “Metamorphosis (Star Trek: The Next Generation S.)” as Want to Read:
Metamorphosis (Star Trek: The Next Generation S.)

Metamorphosis (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  1,027 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Unexplained gravitational disturbances summon Captain Picard and the Starship EnterpriseTM to the planet Elysia, and the android Lieutenant Commander Data to a date with destiny. For on this alien world, he is drawn into an impossible quest, leading him to consequences both heartwarming and disastrous, as he finally dares to pursue his fondest desire: to become human.
Published March 1st 1990 by Titan Books Ltd (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Metamorphosis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metamorphosis

Camille
The first "Giant Novel" in The Next Generation series this book takes us on a journey where the android Data becomes human. I mean, literally human. This isn't a spoiler because the book sets up this notion from page one where Dr. Pulaski is goading everyone about how non-human Data truly is... but never fear, Data takes it all in stride with most of his friends taking the brunt of her offensive words (androids have feelings too Pulaski).

The novel starts well and I was intrigued about the alien
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
I remember reading this back in high school and loving that Data was experiencing REALLY being human. Why is it that the main thing that stuck with me about this book was Data figuring out that THAT sensation meant he had to take a dump?

Sean Randall
if i'd realised that jean Lorra had written this novel I would have read it a long, long time ago. survivors, the other work I've read, is without doubt the most emotionally-compelling Star Trek novel I have ever come across.

Lorra's done it again, this time, with Data. He played an important part in Survivors, and a lot of that bleeds through. The story of tasha yar was a tragic one - but of course, Data's quest for Humanity, if written well, could be as poignant and as heartfelt as yar's lost l
Mike
Okay, so what WAS I thinking? In my desire to relive some of the greatness that was Star Trek the Next Generation (STNG) I thought I would read one of the novels. After all, it doesn't have to be genius to be a good read and since my dream of a new version of STNG on either AMC or HBO will likely never happen the only place to get more STNG is by reading. That said, I did my homework and this novel is the highest rated of the STNG novels on Amazon. I thought "How could I go wrong?"

The premise is
Jim Morrison
I like the philosophical aspects of a good science fiction story and this filled the bill. I liked it because it caused me to reflect on "the human condition". It is a mixture of several stories that are blended together, but it is nicely done. Lorrah's writing held my interest to the end. I would say the end may have been a bit weak; just an attempt to tie up the loose ends of the story about the Konor and the Samdians on the planet Elysia which was just adequate. The middle of the story is the ...more
Mary Norris
I loved the fact that my favorite character-- the android known as Data-- was able to fufill his dream of becoming human. After helping a native of a planet that he was stranded on, the 'gods' of the planet allow him his deepedt desire of being a human. But the dream soon takes a turn as he constantly deals with the struggles he faces. In a quest to undo what has been done, Data realizes that there is more to being human than just flesh and blood.
Weavre
I was excited to take a literature course with Jean Lorrah at Murray State University in about 1989-ish, titled, "Fantasy, Myth, and Legends." The class was a lot of fun, and I didn't appreciate what I learned from Jean until far too late to offer an appropriate thank-you. But ... we're still reading her books, so maybe that counts for something!
Phillip
Danielle
It's a great Data book. It's neat to see him experiencing life as a real flesh and blood human.
Angie
If you're a big Data fan, this book is BRILLIANT.
Chy
I kinda wish I hadn't reread it. After coming off I, Q feeling as if I'd just watched a lost episode of TNG, I was hoping to regain the feeling. I still have this book because I liked it so much.

I still like it, it just comes nowhere close to feeling like a lost episode. It just reads like pure fanfiction.

And, sure, I realize what these books generally boil down to is fanfiction, but what I really consider fanfiction is when the writer takes some real liberties with characterization. And the mai
Martijn Hartman-maatman
Bad, just bad ! Data wants to be human, we all know that. But then some god like creature grants him his wish and he is human. He has to deal with all the unknown feelings and emotions and learns what it means to be human.

Sounds like a great story, but the writing is just bad. Too long, too boring and not even close to interesting.
Bibliophile
Jason Roark
Great story

Great story and wonderful life lesson. I wish Data could have remembered what he experienced though, but then it wouldn't have been quite the same.
Rebecca  Porter
Tricia Gonzales
i can't remember that much about this novel except that i read it in the 5th grade during recess while all the other kids were playing. i loved it because it dealt with Data and was a rich story that even a kid could read. i remember being entranced with this book and not being able to put it down. this was a time when my mom bought and read every st:ng novel she could get her hands on. i tried to read most of them too but they all kind of blurred together after a while. i definitely need to fin ...more
Lindsay Nichols
The days I do laundry, I like to bring a book with me. It's usually something I haven't read in a long time, or something that I know it doesn't matter if I don't happen to finish it in a timely manner because I try to get laundry done once a week.

So this week I've decided it's time to give into my inner geek and connect with my younger, Trekkie self, and read my old ST:NG novels. (Ones that feature Data were always my favourites!)

Hooray for laundry days...you've let me rediscover Trek!
Michael
This was the other Star Trek novel I recently reread, that I remembered from when I was a kid (the first was Imzadi).

I think I have a problem where it's harder for me to picture characters and scenes in books than it is for most people. These books are nice because I know what everything and everyone is supposed to look and sound like. Reading this book is a lot like watching an episode of the show. Unfortunately, in this case it's a season two episode. But it's still fun.
Dorian
This was my first time reading one of the novels based on the Star Trek: Next Generation T.V. series and I was pleasantly surprised. It was entertaining and well written, featuring my favorite character (Data) in the way all NG-ers have always wanted to see: Human. I won't write in spoilers, but this novel fits right into the saga of Next Generation, and I think that even if someone has never seen an episode, it can still be appreciated as a good sci-fi read.
Daniel Kukwa
A criminally under-rated "Star Trek" novel, that is just about as epic as anything ever published in the range. The exploration of Data becoming human causes all sorts of unexpected complications (from intimate to galactic), and it's written with a great deal of sensitivity, sensuality, and emotional depth. It really deserves far more exposure than it receives...and it's a beautiful follow up to "The Measure of a Man" from the second season.
André
Lovisa
Did not like it as much as survivors. It was well written but too heartbreaking. I actually found it hard to concentrate on the dialogue, I was just waiting for the impending doom to be honest. I think I will go back and read it again at a later time, I'll probably appreciate it more then.
Angela
This one focuses on Data. He has a few missions, and in one of them becomes human. There are some very nice touches while he explores the concept. It feels like a 3 parter from the tv series, if you like Data then you should read this book.
K
Excellent TNG book. Characters were similar to how they behaved on the show! My only gripe was I did not get the dislike of Data from Pulaski that she had for him in the show.
Anna
One of my favorites from my teen years. Haven't read it in a long time. Some of it felt flat, but overall it was an interesting look into the mind of Data.
Kathleen Jerome
Very good book. I loved hearing about Datas experiences as a human, even if it was only a temporary condition or an illusion.

Cor
Decent story; points off for an aggravating portion wherein the author repeats a couple chapters.
Drew
Metamorphosis (Star Trek: The Next Generation) by Jean Lorrah (1990)
Arlene Allen
I never did learn about those tv tie ins.....
Lynette
One of my favourite StarTrek TNG books.
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Fortune's Light (Star Trek: The Next Generation #15)
  • Gulliver's Fugitives (Star Trek Next Generation #11)
  • Vendetta (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)
  • Contamination (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #16)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next  Generation, #3)
  • The Eyes of the Beholders (Star Trek The Next Generation, #13)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • Chains of Command (Star Trek: The Next Generation #21)
  • The Romulan Prize (Star Trek: The Next Generation #26)
  • Spartacus (Star Trek: The Next Generation #20)
  • Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)
  • The Romulan Stratagem (Star Trek The Next Generation,#35)
Jean Lorrah is a science fiction and fantasy author. She has produced several Star Trek novels and often collaborated with Jacqueline Lichtenberg. Her most recent work with Lichtenberg is on the Sime - Gen Universe. Her fantasy series The Savage Empire, from the 1980s, is mostly solo work. She is also a professor of English at Murray State University and received her PhD from Florida State Univers ...more
More about Jean Lorrah...

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 102 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next  Generation, #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)
The Vulcan Academy Murders Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4) The IDIC Epidemic Channel's Destiny Savage Empire (Savage Empire, #1)