Start by marking “The Door in the Wall” as Want to Read:
The Door in the Wall

Read Book* *Different edition

The Door in the Wall

The Door in the Wall, considered by both readers and critics, to be Wells's finest tale, examines an issue to which Wells returned repeatedly in his writing: the contrast between aesthetics and science and the difficulty of choosing between them. This collection also includes The Star, A Dream of Armageddon, The Cone, A Moonlight Fable, The DiamondMaker, The Lord of the Dy ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Waking Lion Press (first published 1906)

To ask other readers questions about The Door in the Wall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Door in the Wall

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettCoraline by Neil GaimanHowl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne JonesThe Neverending Story by Michael Ende
Doors, Portals, Gates
331 books — 109 voters
The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allan PoeThe Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories by Charlotte Perkins GilmanThe Valley of Unknowing by Philip SingtonLittle Dorrit by Charles DickensThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
Walls
142 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

Kandice
Jun 27, 2016 Kandice rated it liked it
This book was written with clear talent. The story is unraveled in a very entertaining way, but when we finally get the whole tale it turns out to be pretty blah.

One star for story, five stars for style, for an average of three.

So what?
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
A mountaineer gets lost in a strange valley in The Andes and finds himself surrounded by a race of sightless people, another is transported to Fairyland - and a third spends his life searching for a lost world behind a door in a white wall in London.

Three mysterious stories of different Utopias by the master of the genre, HG Wells brought together in a single play by Kelvin Segger. A mix of adventure, comedy and suspense.

Stars Paul Webster as Nunez, Christian Rodska as Red
Haneen Najeh
Dec 17, 2016 Haneen Najeh rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
Good Book to be read
It reminded me of the secret garden story and other stories I've read, in a way or other..
I enjoyed it :)
Perry Whitford
Mar 21, 2016 Perry Whitford rated it liked it
A man of worldly affairs recently deceased had told his friend a most extraordinary tale just before his death. All his life he had seen glimpses of, and once as a young child entered into, a strange green door.

The door opened into a lush garden, 'into peace, into delight, into a beauty beyond dreaming, a kindness no man on earth can know', inhabited by playful children, friendly animals and a lady with a magical picture book.

Straight forward, sweetly told short story from Wells about the disenc
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: I enjoy the author.

This is a small book, about the size of a man's hand and contains three short stories. 2011 is the fiftieth anniversary of the Penguin Modern Classics list and in honour of this event they have published 50 of these "Mini Modern" books to celebrate the great short story writers. The books are all uniform.

I like H.G. Wells; I've read all his fiction, some of the novels more than once. I especially like his science fiction, the classics "The Time Machine" and
Anna
Oct 22, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: england, short, wells, 2012
— Ты когда-нибудь играл со мной в «северо-западный проход»?.. Нет, в то время мы не были в дружбе с тобой.
Это была такая игра, продолжал он, в которую каждый ребенок, наделенный живым воображением, готов играть целые дни напролет. Требовалось отыскать «северо-западный проход» в школу. Дорога туда была простая и хорошо знакомая, но игра состояла в том, чтобы найти какой-нибудь окольный путь. Нужно было выйти из дому на десять минут раньше, завернуть куда-нибудь в сторону и пробраться через незна
Amalie
H.G. Wells is known as the father of Modern Science Fiction and is best known for his science fiction fantasies like The Time Machine, The War of the Worlds, The Invisible Man.. it's only recently I realised that some of his short fiction, although less known, are equally great.

The Door in the Wall will probably be considered as one of his fantastic tales, I personally feel there's more to it.

The story is a vague recollection by a man in his forties, a successful British politician, of an exper
Austin Aslan
Dec 05, 2013 Austin Aslan rated it it was amazing
I adored this story, and wrote a lengthy review of it here. But Goodreads lost the text when I tried to submit. I don't have the heart to rewrite the whole thing. But I highly recommend this story. The voice and tone are both a bit dated, but otherwise this strikes me as an allegory about death that easily stands the test of time and transcends any particular "religious" view about that 'borne' from which no traveller returns... For the era in which it was written, this religiously-neutral (most ...more
Mar 10, 2015 Mpur Chan rated it it was amazing
I read The Door In The Wall, a short story written by H.G Wells. The narrating style is the story within a story. I think this short story has so many symbolic meaning. So many metaphor. The door itself could be the entrance between reality and fantasy. It is also related to Wallace’s lonely life. In reality, Wallace is bullied. The world behind the door is his way to escape reality. I really like this story, especially the ending.

CV Rick
Mar 14, 2014 CV Rick rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A collection of stories by one of the founders and masters of the genre. It's these 8 stories that give a creative and whimsical glimpse into what Science Fiction was like half a century ago.

The title story is my favorite - The Door in the Wall. It's a metaphor for missed choices and how following your dreams should be a mission, not a wish. I thought about this lesson for a long time after reading. It made me more vigilant about looking for those doors I normally pass.
Brian Harmon
Apr 25, 2008 Brian Harmon rated it it was amazing
I just read this collection of short stories by HG Wells. His imagination and ability to evoke images in the mind, never cease to amaze me. The stories have many different tones, some rather dark, but all very engrossing. it's a quick read, but does not lack in depth. I heartily recommend!!
Sara
A young boys goes through a door in the wall, and discovered paradise. Thoughout his life, the memory of this garden has haunted him and he strives to find it one last time. I liked this because it was a bit dark.
Annie
May 21, 2016 Annie rated it it was amazing
It’s very Poe-ish. Very different voice from the Wells of Dr Moreau/Invisible Man/Time Machine/etc. Dreamy and dreadful (as in “full of dread”) with heavy ironic Christian imagery.
Bettie☯
Jan 01, 2016 Bettie☯ rated it liked it
Enchanted gardens with spotted panthers - that'll do me. A short story, very short indeed but good and thought-provoking.
Vera
Jun 10, 2016 Vera added it
Shelves: fiction
I only read "The door in the wall" story.
Bernadine Wilsenach
Sep 20, 2016 Bernadine Wilsenach rated it really liked it
This might be my favourite short story - elegantly written and mysterious enough to play on my mind long after the last word is read. I now have a hankering for something written by Verne.
Ian Russell
Nov 10, 2012 Ian Russell rated it it was amazing
Fans of H.G. Wells' famous works, The Time Machine; The War of the Worlds; The Invisible Man; and The First Men in the Moon should read this collection of shorts, if they haven't already.

Readers who haven't yet experienced the imagination and thoughtfulness of Wells' work could do much worse than beginning here. These eight tales are more Twilight Zone than science fiction, and darker in tone than the more popular novels.

The Door in the Wall, a boy walking to school is drawn to discover what lie
Heidi
Aug 16, 2012 Heidi rated it really liked it
Very imaginative collection of short stories by H. G. Wells. My favourites were the first three: The Door in the Wall, The Star, and A Dream of Armageddon.

In The Door in the Wall, a man relates to his friend how as a lonely boy, he opened a mysterious door in a wall and found himself in a beautiful garden. The garden had tame panthers, all kinds of flowers, and playmates with wonderful games. Sadly, he was sent back to his own world before he was ready to go, and the mysterious wall with the doo
Alex Bergonzini
Aug 26, 2015 Alex Bergonzini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una puerta verde, en un muro blanco aparece en tu vida en los momentos más trascendentales. Una vez que la atraviesas, te sientes en un fabuloso mundo donde todo es posible para tu mente y cuerpo. Todo problema queda al otro lado del muro y te sientes libre para ser tú mismo, allí en ese nuevo mundo.

Afrontar cada problema requiere de valentía, de una fuerza de voluntad que te hace ser la persona que has ido forjando con los años y la decisión que tomes en cada momento, te hará cumplir tus metas.
Gardy (Elisa G)
Una miniraccolta che dimostra come Wells rimanga uno dei numi tutelari del genere fantascientifico, pur essendo la sua scrittura molto più potente e di difficile "ingabbiatura" in un singolo genere.
Se "Tea Sea Riders" (la storia di un orrendo bestione marino apparso sulle coste francesi) passa praticamente sotto silenzio, è con "The Moth" e ancor di più con "The Door in the Wall" che l'autore dimostra la sua incredibile vena fantastica e la sua capacità di tesservi all'interno una vivida immagi
Jamie
Dec 20, 2011 Jamie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-lit
This one has been in my to-read list for some time. The synopsis sounded interesting and I love a good deal of Wells' work. It is a short read and, I think, an interesting commentary on the choices someone makes throughout their lives to pursue the road they believe they must travel over the, perhaps, more enjoyable, less material parallel that springs unbidden to our minds at times of a crossroads, where one leads us further down that expected line and the other a new and different direction. T ...more
Diana
Esta historia se podría interpretar de distintas maneras. Considero que cada ser humano llega a vislumbrar durante toda su existencia esa puerta cerrada en un muro imperceptible a los ojos de los demás, esa puerta que nos pide que la abramos, y sin embargo, no lo hacemos. La ocultamos, la cubrimos con excusas falsas, la cerramos con ideas poco claras, y la derrumbamos con nuestras aparentes certezas. La vida nos impone recorrer un cierto camino, y en cuanto vemos una puerta en una esquina (una p ...more
Marinho Lopes
Este livro, além do conto “A Porta no Muro”, continha ainda “O Caso Plattner”, “A História do Falecido Mr. Elvesham”, “O Ovo de Cristal” e “A Loja Mágica”. Confesso que em geral esperava muito melhor do H. Wells. A escrita é simples, agradável e cuidada, no entanto não me cativou muito. Os contos acabam mais por parecer uns ensaios… Os que gostei mais foram o primeiro (“A Porta no Muro”), cujo tema é alegórico (o que é uma clara excepção), e o último (“A Loja Mágica”), onde a escrita me pareceu ...more
Annabelle
There are 3 stories here, the first one undoubtedly the best in the lot. It's about a secret doorway into paradise, but one that appears intermittently, when you least expect it, and at different spots every time. The second story is so forgettable, which is a pity as the premise could have been stretched to make a more convincing and compelling plot. The third deals with a rivalry between scientists that extends into the unknown. A comic fan, I suppose I read The Moth with graphics and balloon ...more
Cynda
Jun 10, 2016 Cynda rated it liked it
Read this story as a result of reading -the man who mistook his wife for a hat- by Oliver Sacks. In his book, Sacks speaks of a patient who could strongly identify with this story. So I read this story to better Sack's patient and his account.
-the door in the wall- speaks of longing gone wrong. Part of the human condition. Yet someone strongly long for long periods of time for what never can be. Wow. How thinning that line between mental health and mental illness.

Brian Sison
Jul 29, 2015 Brian Sison rated it really liked it
I originally marked this as 3 stars... but the memory of it and the feelings it draws forth make it seem better after time.

A wistful tale of one man's longings for a vague, unexplainable event from his childhood. What does it mean to go back to those times?... is it even possible? In growing up, do we turn our backs on what was once important to us? And what happens when we do try to regain those lost feelings? Are we doomed to only grow older then die?
  • Bliss
  • The Widow Ching-Pirate (Penguin Mini Modern Classics)
  • Two Gallants (Penguin Mini Modern Classics)
  • They
  • The Crime Wave at Blandings
  • Rich In Russia (Penguin Mini Modern Classics)
  • Through the Wall
  • Flypaper
  • Terra Incognita
  • The Adulterous Woman
  • The Delicate Prey and Other Stories
In 1866, (Herbert George) H.G. Wells was born to a working class family in Kent, England. Young Wells received a spotty education, interrupted by several illnesses and family difficulties, and became a draper's apprentice as a teenager. The headmaster of Midhurst Grammar School, where he had spent a year, arranged for him to return as an "usher," or student teacher. Wells earned a government schol ...more
More about H.G. Wells...

“When afterwards I tried to tell my aunt, she punished me again for my wicked persistence. Then, as I said, everyone was forbidden to listen to me, to hear a word about it. Even my fairy-tale books were taken away from me for a time - because I was too 'imaginative'. Eh! Yes, they did that! My father belonged to the old school.... And my story was driven back upon myself. I whispered it to my pillow - my pillow that was often damp and salt to my whispering lips with childish tears. And I added always to my official and less fervent prayers this one heartfelt request: 'Please God I may dream of the garden. O! take me back to my garden.” 10 likes
“Was there, after all, ever any green door in the wall at all?” 4 likes