Start by marking “The Emperor's New Clothes” as Want to Read:
The Emperor's New Clothes

The Emperor's New Clothes

A fully illustrated retelling of the classic fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen complete with compact disc of more than forty-five of the grandest talents in the entertainment world. “The cast is A-list. The plot, legendary” (USA Today).

Among the writers are Academy Award -winning and -nominated actors and actresses and other personalities from the worlds of entertainm
Published October 22nd 1998 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about The Emperor's New Clothes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Emperor's New Clothes

Kelly
would be great for a readers theater production.

text doesn't match the audio exactly, so that might throw some readers off. it illustrates how the written word doesn't always transfer to the spoken word naturally.

the voice actors are great, of course, but the novelty of the particular actors chosen for each character will likely be lost on most kids.

also, there are whole chunks of text on the audio but not in the book. the moth through line has transitions between characters on the audio that
Christina
I read this book first, without the companion CD. This is an awesome rendition of the emperer's new clothes. Each page tells the story from a different characters point of view, so the voice delivering the story changes, and the nuances added are just wonderful. Each page is illustrated by a different famous illustrator - Maurice Sendak, Chris Van Allsburg, and Graeme Base to name a few.

Then, I listened to the CD. Once again each character is read by an all-star cast of voices;Harrison Ford, Rob
Jenelle
Aug 11, 2009 Jenelle rated it liked it

The story of The Emperor's New Clothes is told from a giant cast of characters surrounding the Emperor. Each has a different, entertaining perspective on the events as they transpire.

Each character is illustrated by one of 23 of the most popular children's artists, making it widely diverse in appearance, yet enhancing the individuality of the characters.

And to add to the fun, the accompanying CD uses 23 celebrities to tell the story out loud. Everyone from Harrison Ford as the shady thief, to M
Kerri
Apr 08, 2011 Kerri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all humans and a few dogs
A retelling of HCA's tale by a variety of celebrities and illustrators. The story is told in the first person and from the perspective of the people and even some objects that enter the tale. Liam Neeson is the Imperial Prime Minister, Nathan Lane is the Imperial Dresser, Dr. Ruth Westheimer is the Imperial Physician, Jeff Goldblum is the Imperial Wizard, Dan Aykroyd is the Holy Man, Robin Williams is the Court Jester, Calvin Klein is the Emperor's Underwear, Fran Drescher is the Heralding Horn, ...more
Neil
Jul 20, 2010 Neil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairy tale
Wonderful retelling, with each character a separate vignette, woven together to tell the whole story. Each vignette is written by a different person (celebrity) and each is illustrated by a different illustrator. Comes with a CD too which would probably be a great way to experience this version (although the CD is missing from the copy I read). Could be used as Reader's Theatre with each part told by a different student. Could be used as an example for a writing lesson in which each st
Julie
Jul 11, 2014 Julie added it
Steven Spielberg put this star studded set of illustrators and comedians together to give a new twist to this old story. Each star (Madonna, Robyn Williams, Joan Rives...) is one character and has one page to move the story along.Each illustrator(Sendak, Joyce, Kellog.... also have one page. This version is definitely raucous and ribald. You will need to edit some of the words for the young, but the older elementary school kids, I think will get the sophistication.
Gina Malewicz
Nov 30, 2011 Gina Malewicz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sammy, lucy
Great old story told by modern actors. Really enjoyed the story content AND the audio CD that came with the book. Several famous actors read for this, Robin Williams, Madonna, Jeff Goldblum, Nathan Lane. Really entertaining for kids AND the parents.
Missy
Feb 10, 2016 Missy rated it it was amazing
This is a very clever telling of the Emperor's New Clothes, but my boys especially enjoyed listening to the actors on the disc. Our FAVORITE is Robin Williams as the Court Jester. Thank you, Robin, for your comic genius. We needed the laugh.
Linda
Oct 10, 2009 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults and High schoolers
Great book with an interesting twist since it was a fund-raiser. Has an edge - not really for elementary children.

Still looking for a good version for read-aloud for our elem. school. Any suggestions
John Velez
Aug 18, 2012 John Velez rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
The family found this is an interesting read of the family classic narrated by many different actors and musicians on the CD of The Emperors New Clothes. Illustrations in this edition was very entertaining.
Jack Kirby and the X-man
The Starbright version is a fantastic take on the classic story - with plenty of humour and great contributions by celebrity writers and the best of children's illustrators.
Abby Howe
May 24, 2016 Abby Howe rated it it was amazing
I had this as a cassette tape! Oh my god I've forgotten about it until now, but it was hilarious and absolutely wonderful. I need to re-listen to it soon
Sarah Abernathy
Sep 29, 2014 Sarah Abernathy rated it it was amazing
this is one of those things that I was totally obsessed with as a kid. I listened to the CD over and over again, and I really wish I could find it again now because I'd still love it.
Hayleysdancer459
Jul 19, 2009 Hayleysdancer459 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books
This may seem ridiculous but I read this as a kid and I read it over and over and over and over. The words are practically memorized. I loved that book!!!!!!!!!!!
Dianilu Chacon
Oct 15, 2014 Dianilu Chacon rated it it was amazing
When I was a kid, this story was one of my favourites. I was intrigued to read it in English and as I went on, I revived my past. It was amazing.
Reading For Sanity
read this review and others at http://readingforsanity.blogspot.com/...
Stealth1376
Stealth1376 rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2009
Cory Brunson
Cory Brunson rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was ok
Apr 21, 2015
Kelsey Haeuser
Kelsey Haeuser rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2015
Jaime
Jaime rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2010
Kelleen
Kelleen rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2015
Rebekah
Rebekah rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Martin Malabanan
Martin Malabanan rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2014
Jean McGowan
Jean McGowan rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2014
Kerry Given
Kerry Given rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2013
Jose-mary Elizabeth
Jose-mary Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2014
Collin
Collin rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2014
Marica
Marica rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2013
Claryssa-faye Thompson
Claryssa-faye Thompson rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2014
  • The Presidential Difference: Leadership Style from FDR to George W. Bush
  • Museum ABC
  • National Geographic Visual History of the World
  • The Goblin and the Empty Chair
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Dimity Dumpty: The Story of Humpty's Little Sister
  • Soviet Fates and Lost Alternatives: From Stalinism to the New Cold War
  • The Specter of Communism: The United States and the Origins of the Cold War, 1917-1953
  • Mrs. Armitage: Queen of the Road
  • The Breakdown of Nations
  • Inside Islam: The Faith, the People and the Conflicts of the World's Fastest Growing Religion
  • Understanding the Palestinian-Israeli Conflict: A Primer