Pacific Avenue

Pacific Avenue

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  268 ratings  ·  33 reviews
"Where do you go from the end of the line?" This is the question facing Kathy Woodbridge as she steps off the bus in the port city of San Pedro, California. Nineteen years old, from Louisiana, she is running away from her past. There's a lot to run away from.

"What do you do when there's no one to do for?" That's what Lacey Greer wants to know, with her only child off at co...more
Published January 1st 2008 by Shepard & Piper

To ask other readers questions about Pacific Avenue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pacific Avenue

Nenette
Set in the 70s, this love story blends the most significant issues at the time: the war and racism. It illustrates both conditional and unconditional love. It shows the strength that can be drawn from community. It demonstrates the innate goodness of people. It's a very good book altogether; highly recommended.
Arlene
The story starts with a young woman on a bus to Los Angeles. She is running away from her life in Louisiana. She ends up in San Pedro, CA at the end of the bus line on Pacific Avenue. Through her eyes, thoughts and flashbacks, and those of her friends, we learn why and what she is running from. This story takes place in the early 1970's when young soldiers were coming home to a country that has grown hostile to the war in Vietnam, before PTSD was a diagnosis for their nightmares and reactions to...more
Anne
Anne L Watson’s Pacific Avenue is one of those novels that would be easy to dismiss as mere romance. However, that would be unfair. Pacific Avenue is also a story about young adulthood, racial prejudice, middle-class expectations, and the psychological effects of war. Kathy is young, white, and middle-classed; the daughter of an idealistic college professor and a closet-racist of a housewife. Lacey is middle-aged, black and poor; an under-payed secretary whose own daughter has just left for coll...more
Jackie Johnson
Really enjoyed this book. Another love story that draws you in and takes you on a journey.
Michele
May 12, 2008 Michele rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Michele by: Sent by author
Nice Effort, Sad Story
This book took me about a month to finish . . . I simply wasn't motivated to get to the end of the story, most likely because of the structure. The plot is predictable by design, and I found it very sad--neither uplifting nor particularly moving. The writing starts out strong, with great use of mood and description, but soon lapses into the annoying habit of relying on italicized internal dialog for the main character. She is a young woman named Kathy, who escapes her sad l...more
judy fillmore
A multifaceted gem

The cover of the book caught my eye first. It took until the end of the book to find out the fitting significance. Having lived thru the seventies, many of the issues were familiar to me. It was interesting to think back to what I felt or experienced regarding the Vietnam War, racism, interracial relationships, and creating families from love if not blood. This is a wonderful book.

Conchie Fernandez
Initially a good concept, but the characters were wooden (and not because they were young), uni-dimensional and shallow. Too much pointless dialog in a book that is dialog-driven, and very little insight and development of a major tragedy that was pretty much glossed over by the main character's other concerns. Zero resolution at the end, and I wasn't even left wondering what would happen. Flat.
Emily
I was ridiculously surprised at how much I liked this book! I never have too high of expectations when I randomly browse and pick something off the shelves...and really don't expect much out of free kindle books. But I thought this story was really inspiring and thought provoking!
Madelynhealey
This story is about a teen, Kathy, and a black young man, Richard, that fall in live in early 1970`s. Faced with racism in her own family and from society they flee to a city more sympathetic with their interracial relationship. This book is very realistic and emotional. A wonderful story of love, heartbreak and second chances.
Kelly
Set in early 1970's but the story rings true today: black and white, straight and gay.
Dawn Pritchard
Wasnt sure about it to start, but absolutely loved it. Made me cry.
Marilyn
Good

the book is all about how people were treated after coming back after the veatiam was.the p a.s.that wasn't treated medically.
Linda L
This was a book acquired through Book Bub and was free.

I think what I liked most about the book was I could identify with the era, early 70's and what my age was then and thus put me close in age with one of the main characters. It deals with relationships between ethnicity, Vietnam and how returning veterans were treated.

It was different read than my usual as I tend to read more mystery and thrillers. I enjoyed the book but found myself wanting it to move at a faster pace.
Samantha
I would say this is a little more of a 3 and a half star but I like to round up as I enjoyed it and it was free for me... It is a unique story. I was interested but a little bored at times. I liked the random characters in the book that somehow worked perfectly together in the story. It is a nice read. Makes you think too, how would you handle being in Kathy's situation? I would recommend this.
Evelyn
Ugh. Naive construction of characters. Poorly written. This could have been an excellent book because the plot was potentially good. But, the author did not execute it well. The worst parts were the rambling italicized thoughts of the characters used to portray their conflicts and intentions. This may have worked in more experienced hands. But, it did not work here.
Marguerite
Started out well enough, but quickly became a tired and typical story of a young woman who finds herself homeless and proceeds in the most unbeliavable ways to build a life for herself with the most tired and typical "quirky" characters. I finished it and feel as though I should have been reading something else...
Penny
This book had a good storyline that had so much potential. I just felt the author stretched out a lot of mundane points, when she should have been concentrating on the meat of the story instead. It was wrapped up too quickly & neatly in the end, but also left some things not quite resolved.
Cheryl
I was looking forward to this but ended up pretty disappointed. I think this is probably a better book for a teen-aged girl or young adult than someone my age. Having lived through that era I found it a generally interesting story but the writing style was just way too simple for my taste.
Elaine
Pacific Avenue starts off at a good pace but slowly declines. I just want to get the book over with now. The whole puppet business and the time surrounding that, bogs the story down - way down. Though I do like some of the characters. One of my favorites is Sam.
bookster
It starts out fantastic but then just drags. There is so much sadness as you find out what happened in her life to bring her where she is. After all the drama the ending seemed much to hurried. It seemed that all the suffering had been for nothing.
Fabiola
It was kind if a history lesson on how things were and how it affected people when they were still fighting agains segregation. It's a love story and a success story all in one where the main character Kathy learns to follow her dreams no matter what.
Becky
"It starts out good but then just drags. There is so much sadness as you find out what happened in her life to bring her where she is. After all the drama the ending seemed much to hurried. It seemed that all the suffering had been for nothing."
Gloria Johnson
The story of a white woman and black man in post-Viet Nam era. The characters are interesting and the book kept my interest. The reason for only 3 stars is that, for me, it is not an action-filled, plot heavy book. However, I'd recommend it.
Donna Peake
racism/veitnam nightmares/death/ family

Took awhile to get into the book but it is one of those books that you think about after you finish it. Any book that leave an impression like that is a very good read.
Velda Dedeaux
There were quite a few real-life situations presented in this book but the main thing I got from this story related to the importance of getting counseling when one experiences any type of trauma in their lives.
Brenda
Wish there were 3 1/2 stars, as I liked this book alot, but not as much as my 4 star reviews. Then again, maybe it should get 4 ...... Free or very cheap for kindle fire app.
Kathy
I really enjoyed this book. Kathy had to grow up quickly but was lucky to have the support of her wonderful sister, brother in law and new friends. Terrific story....
Rachael
ending was a disappointment. Richard had no redeeming qualities that made me want to like or empathize with him.
Jacky
Very moving story about a white girl and black boy living in Southern USA post Vietnam.
Betsy
  • Only the Truth
  • Signs and Wonders
  • The Coach House
  • Raising Jake
  • The Prayers of Agnes Sparrow (Bright's Pond #1)
  • Vada Faith
  • Primitive
  • Blue Hole Back Home
  • Small Kindnesses
  • Island Passage
Smart Soapmaking: The Simple Guide to Making Traditional Handmade Soap Quickly, Safely, and Reliably: The Simple Guide to Making Traditional Handmade ... Soaps for Family, Friends, and Yourself Skeeter: A Cat Tale Joy Flight Milk Soapmaking: The Smart and Simple Guide to Making Lovely Milk Soap From Any Animal or Plant Milk: The Smart and Simple Guide to Making Lovely Milk ... Milk, or Any Other Animal or Plant Milk