Start by marking “Tangle” as Want to Read:
Tangle

Tangle

Eleven stories of magic, mystery and the fantastic future, all featuring gay heroes. Swordsmen, cyborgs, magicians, ghosts, psychic lovers and enchanted lords fill this anthology with adventure, laughter and passion.This anthology features Spectrum Award Winning author Ginn Hale as well as award winning author and editor Lawrence Schimel and Lambda Literary Award Finalist ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by Blind Eye Books

Nancy
Apr 29, 2008 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Posted at Shelf Inflicted

It is very rare for me to come across an anthology where I enjoy every single story. The nice thing about short story collections by different authors is the element of surprise. After each break, the reader gets introduced to a new set of characters, encounters different situations, and is exposed to a variety of writing styles. Each story in Tangle is highly imaginative and explores love and relationships between men.

My favorite stories in this collection are Lord Ro
K.Z. Snow
Jun 24, 2011 K.Z. Snow rated it really liked it
4.5

Jesse Sandoval's tale was the glittering gem in this collection for me. I'd give that story a galaxy of stars if I could. And although I never thought I could enjoy fiction centering on a cyborg character, the masterly Ginn Hale not only proved me wrong but made me tear up in the process.

All in all, an anthology bursting with imagination.
Abi Walton
Jul 25, 2014 Abi Walton rated it it was amazing
This book did wonderful things to me! It is rare to come across a anthology where you love every single short story enclosed in it, but this one was a delightful surprise where I loved all the narratives and characters. No two stories where the same in this anthology and time and place moved with each new world that was created by the authors. Each of these stories is highly imaginitive and goes from our world and our time to the future and completely different spaces and each one was clear and ...more
Jun 10, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: glbt-fiction
Edited by Nicole Kimberling this anthology has some fantastic reads in it. While there were one or two that did not strike a chord, the majority were rather enjoyable.

I think the standouts for me are the delightful fairy tale of Lord Ronan’s Shoes and Remember both by Astrid Amara. She always manages to slip in a rather dry, cheeky sense of humor, that I appreciate! Crossing the Distance by Erin MacKay was some seriously angsty stuff, which indulged my inner emo kid. heh. Finally, Feral Machines
Nov 24, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
SlashReaders: There wasn't one story in book that I did not enjoy. They were all well written and a lot of fun.

There was also an additional bonus in this book because the two stories at the end are novella length and have a great deal more content. I picked up this book because I enjoyed Kimberling's other anthology and I also enjoyed reading Ginn Hale's novel Wicked Gentlemen.

Overall if you enjoy slash fantasy and don't mind reading short stories, I would recommend this anthology. It was a lot
Susana
Sep 12, 2016 Susana rated it really liked it
Kris
Aug 12, 2009 Kris rated it liked it
The Review:

Honesty from the outset (and what will become my standard line for anthologies)~

I have a love/hate relationship with anthologies. Love because I really enjoy the diversity of voices and styles contained within a single volume and hate because inevitably with so many stories there will be a couple I'm unable to connect with. It is always disappointing when that happens because it can colour your view of the work as a whole and perhaps even the stories which come after.

First things fi
Min
Nov 05, 2012 Min rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Moons of Blood and Amber
Gene Mederos
3 stars
I liked the flashes back to how they all met. The world was interesting and made me want more. I'd have liked this to be a bit longer, but it worked pretty well nonetheless.

Monument
Steven Adamson
2 stars
Even for a short story, it didn't really give much. But it was still okay.

Lord Ronan's Shoes
Astrid Amara
4 stars
This is told in fairy-tale fashion, which works wonderfully. Lord Ronan sure was a bastard, though was that (view spoiler)
Stacy Is Playing With Her Little Tab
Overall this collection gets 3 stars.(basing it on the stories I rated)

This was edited better than the last collection I read (Irregulars) which was surprising because it was published earlier than Irregulars. I don't know. I just expect earlier works to be less polished than more recent ones.

Anyways, I read all but one story in this short story collection-Crossing the Distance.I read up to p. 245 in this story and then stopped. After skimming some of the rest, I just felt like it would be too
Laylah
Jul 24, 2012 Laylah rated it liked it
Shelves: m-slash-m
3.5 stars thanks to a few real gems. This one definitely suffers the typical anthology curse, where some of them hit and some of them really miss. For me, the hits were Jesse Sandoval's beautiful piece of magical realism, "Los Conversos," Tenea D. Johnson's I-wish-it-were-longer portrait of an unusually talented musician in "Release in A Minor," and Ginn Hale's lush cyborg novella "Feral Machines."

Some of the others that people on GR are fond of failed for me because of the "scheming female vill
Serena.. Sery-ously?
La trama mi ha tratto in inganno e non ho trovato ciò che mi aspettavo, o forse sono io che mi sono palesemente fatta un film mentale immaginandomi una raccolta steampunk ambientata nel futuro (perché mai, direte voi.. Ah boh :D)
Fatto sta che la prima metà del libro è insulsa e inutile, le storie sono sì velocissime, ma anche vuote e facili da dimenticare (personalmente, l'ho già fatto!). Il libro comunque lo promuovo per le ultime tre storie, le più lunghe fortunatamente, che coprono la II metà
Shomeret
Apr 25, 2009 Shomeret rated it really liked it
This is a very good anthology. My personal favorite was Erin McKay's "Crossing The Distance" because I think that bonds between telepaths encapsulate intimacy issues. I wanted to see more of this universe. I also very much liked "Los Conversos" by Jesse Sandoval for its lyricism and intensity. "Fag Hag" by Lawrence Schimmel is a well-realized story with bite.

I am looking forward to Tangle Girls which I have on order from Amazon.

Shomeret
Kate O'Hanlon
Jul 12, 2010 Kate O'Hanlon rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, anthology
Something of a mixed bag but all the stories are readable and enjoyable.
Everything is very sweet to the point of tasting like diabetes, but hay, someytimes that's all your after.

The Ginn Hale novella at the end was fab.
Andune
Dec 30, 2010 Andune rated it it was amazing
Shelves: q-paperback
Awesome short stories, especially one the novella by Erin MacKay: Crossing the Distance. Heart wrenching!
Amity
Amity rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2011
Crispin
Crispin rated it really liked it
May 28, 2011
Tina
Tina rated it did not like it
Jul 14, 2016
Alaska
Alaska rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2012
Maureen
Maureen rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2010
Ryan Fox
Ryan Fox rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Jane
Jane rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2013
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2012
Boy is the android
Boy is the android rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2011
Yumenouveau
Yumenouveau rated it liked it
May 09, 2014
George Chien
George Chien rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2015
Nanette
Nanette rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2013
Lin
Lin rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2012
Rebekah
Rebekah rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2009
Jennifer Ball
Jennifer Ball rated it did not like it
Aug 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Hell Cop 2
  • Feral Machines
  • Torqued Tales: Twisted Fairytales
  • Martyrs and Monsters
  • Lords of Aether Volume One
  • So Fey: Queer Fairy Fiction
  • First Frost (Neighborly Affection, #3.5; Dino Martini, #2.5; Highlander Heat, #0.5)
  • Josh Lanyon Collected Novellas #1