Start by marking “Tangle” as Want to Read:

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Eleven stories of magic, mystery and the fantastic future, all featuring gay heroes. Swordsmen, cyborgs, magicians, ghosts, psychic lovers and enchanted lords fill this anthology with adventure, laughter and passion.This anthology features Spectrum Award Winning author Ginn Hale as well as award winning author and editor Lawrence Schimel and Lambda Literary Award Finalist ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by Blind Eye Books

It is very rare for me to come across an anthology where I enjoy every single story. The nice thing about short story collections by different authors is the element of surprise. After each break, the reader gets introduced to a new set of characters, encounters different situations, and is exposed to a variety of writing styles. Each story in Tangle is highly imaginative and explores love and relationships between men.

My favorite stories in this collection are Lord Ronan’s Shoes, by Astrid Ama
K.Z. Snow

Jesse Sandoval's tale was the glittering gem in this collection for me. I'd give that story a galaxy of stars if I could. And although I never thought I could enjoy fiction centering on a cyborg character, the masterly Ginn Hale not only proved me wrong but made me tear up in the process.

All in all, an anthology bursting with imagination.
Abi Walton
This book did wonderful things to me! It is rare to come across a anthology where you love every single short story enclosed in it, but this one was a delightful surprise where I loved all the narratives and characters. No two stories where the same in this anthology and time and place moved with each new world that was created by the authors. Each of these stories is highly imaginitive and goes from our world and our time to the future and completely different spaces and each one was clear and ...more
Edited by Nicole Kimberling this anthology has some fantastic reads in it. While there were one or two that did not strike a chord, the majority were rather enjoyable.

I think the standouts for me are the delightful fairy tale of Lord Ronan’s Shoes and Remember both by Astrid Amara. She always manages to slip in a rather dry, cheeky sense of humor, that I appreciate! Crossing the Distance by Erin MacKay was some seriously angsty stuff, which indulged my inner emo kid. heh. Finally, Feral Machines
SlashReaders: There wasn't one story in book that I did not enjoy. They were all well written and a lot of fun.

There was also an additional bonus in this book because the two stories at the end are novella length and have a great deal more content. I picked up this book because I enjoyed Kimberling's other anthology and I also enjoyed reading Ginn Hale's novel Wicked Gentlemen.

Overall if you enjoy slash fantasy and don't mind reading short stories, I would recommend this anthology. It was a lot
The Review:

Honesty from the outset (and what will become my standard line for anthologies)~

I have a love/hate relationship with anthologies. Love because I really enjoy the diversity of voices and styles contained within a single volume and hate because inevitably with so many stories there will be a couple I'm unable to connect with. It is always disappointing when that happens because it can colour your view of the work as a whole and perhaps even the stories which come after.

First things fi
Overall this collection gets 3 stars.(basing it on the stories I rated)

This was edited better than the last collection I read (Irregulars) which was surprising because it was published earlier than Irregulars. I don't know. I just expect earlier works to be less polished than more recent ones.

Anyways, I read all but one story in this short story collection-Crossing the Distance.I read up to p. 245 in this story and then stopped. After skimming some of the rest, I just felt like it would be too
Nov 11, 2012 Min rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: library
Moons of Blood and Amber
Gene Mederos
3 stars
I liked the flashes back to how they all met. The world was interesting and made me want more. I'd have liked this to be a bit longer, but it worked pretty well nonetheless.

Steven Adamson
2 stars
Even for a short story, it didn't really give much. But it was still okay.

Lord Ronan's Shoes
Astrid Amara
4 stars
This is told in fairy-tale fashion, which works wonderfully. Lord Ronan sure was a bastard, though was that (view spoiler)
3.5 stars thanks to a few real gems. This one definitely suffers the typical anthology curse, where some of them hit and some of them really miss. For me, the hits were Jesse Sandoval's beautiful piece of magical realism, "Los Conversos," Tenea D. Johnson's I-wish-it-were-longer portrait of an unusually talented musician in "Release in A Minor," and Ginn Hale's lush cyborg novella "Feral Machines."

Some of the others that people on GR are fond of failed for me because of the "scheming female vill
La trama mi ha tratto in inganno e non ho trovato ciò che mi aspettavo, o forse sono io che mi sono palesemente fatta un film mentale immaginandomi una raccolta steampunk ambientata nel futuro (perché mai, direte voi.. Ah boh :D)
Fatto sta che la prima metà del libro è insulsa e inutile, le storie sono sì velocissime, ma anche vuote e facili da dimenticare (personalmente, l'ho già fatto!). Il libro comunque lo promuovo per le ultime tre storie, le più lunghe fortunatamente, che coprono la II metà
This is a very good anthology. My personal favorite was Erin McKay's "Crossing The Distance" because I think that bonds between telepaths encapsulate intimacy issues. I wanted to see more of this universe. I also very much liked "Los Conversos" by Jesse Sandoval for its lyricism and intensity. "Fag Hag" by Lawrence Schimmel is a well-realized story with bite.

I am looking forward to Tangle Girls which I have on order from Amazon.

Kate O'Hanlon
Something of a mixed bag but all the stories are readable and enjoyable.
Everything is very sweet to the point of tasting like diabetes, but hay, someytimes that's all your after.

The Ginn Hale novella at the end was fab.
Awesome short stories, especially one the novella by Erin MacKay: Crossing the Distance. Heart wrenching!
Micha Meinderts
Some stories were so so, but a couple were well worth the buy.
Pamela Craft Jenewein
Wonn in a publishing contest in 2009
Nannah marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Hart marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Darren Mitton
Darren Mitton marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Pastel marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Natasha marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
emma marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Elynor marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Rita-Teodora marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Tereza marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Ruki T
Ruki T marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Lucy marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Mandy marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Macartney marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015