Start by marking “Best Music Writing 2008” as Want to Read:
Best Music Writing 2008

Best Music Writing 2008 (Da Capo Best Music Writing)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The ninth entry in the acclaimed series celebrating the best writing on every style of music, from rock to hip-hop, R&B to jazz, pop to blues, and more.

Best music writing is the definitive guide to the year in music writing, an annual feast of essays, missives, and musings on every musical style by critics, novelists, and musicians themselves. Culled from publications

Published October 7th 2008 by Da Capo Press (first published September 8th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Best Music Writing 2008, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best Music Writing 2008

Lucia
May 24, 2011 Lucia added it
Recommended to Lucia by: series recommended by Nate
Shelves: unfinished
I told my brother this week, "I'm pretty sure I have no use for, and no interest in, music reviews and/or criticism."
As a musician, writer, and voracious reader he recommended this series.
So I gave it a try, with high hopes.

Yuck! I have no use for it.
I'm so not the target audience that I won't give it a star rating.

I think I'd be interested to read about musicians I already love; interviews, biography and such... but that's it. And I could potentially enjoy it via film, with audio clips and suc
Dane Despres
Completely underwhelmed by this. I had high hopes, to be fair, that this would be a collection of probing, playful musical and musical-cultural criticism. Mostly, though, it's artist profiles and popcultural trainspotting. Don't get me wrong, most of the articles are engaging and thorough, but there's little here that struck me as particularly artful or intellectual. Minor note: the number of typos in the text is distracting.

Faves:
"Dead Man Talking: 'Kurt Cobain: About a Son': A New Experimental
Jesse
The usual stellar mix of good music writing. There are a few bummers (an unnecessarily long oral history of the band Mandrill), but mostly an eclectic mix of top flight essays, memoirs, profiles, zeitgeist-pondering think pieces, etc.. Loved Eric Pape's piece on music in the Republic of Congo, Jeff Sharlet's Lee Hays bio, Marke B's hilariously bitchy story about trends in gay music, and a bunch of others. Nelson George is particularly good at ordering the entries, which thread together solidly.
Ben Bush
I mostly have thought of these "Best of" anthologies as pretty painfully square but this one was both a pleasure to read and chock full of insight. Also, I don't usually gripe about lack of copy editing but this seemed like it was rushed to the printers without a lot of oversight. Typos and spell check-type mistakes so frequent as to merit comment. Overall, kudos to Nelson George on making the rather dry "Best of" series feel lively, engaging and important.
Rachel
Shit, man! Sasha Frere-Jones of The New Yorker got "pimp slapped" (I don't think I even approve of using that phrase, but there it is), and HARD, and if you want to know about it, you have to read this book. Or at the very least, the first essay in it.
Curt
Like all Best Essays collections, a mixed bag. Bits on Sly Stone's repeated not-quite comebacks and the Pitchfork indie-band-of-week were great; others...well, it's easy to skip ahead. An ideal book for the subway commute.
Steve
didn't quite read every essay, but there are some great ones on wu-tang, sly and the family stone, and daptone records
Chris Estey
This one turned out to be totally essential. I'm upgrading to Five Stars!
Philip
Not as good as the previous two years', but still inspiring.
Amar Baines
Amar Baines marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Karl
Karl added it
Feb 20, 2015
NIRAJ AGARWALLA
NIRAJ AGARWALLA marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Josh Mock
Josh Mock marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Emma Roulette
Emma Roulette marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Mike Balsom
Mike Balsom marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2013
Payz
Payz marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
Dov
Dov added it
Jul 15, 2013
Nic
Nic added it
Jul 14, 2013
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Nelson George is an author, filmmaker, television producer, and critic with a long career in analyzing and presenting the diverse elements of African-American culture.

Queen Latifah won the Golden Globe for playing the lead in his directorial debut, the HBO movie 'Life Support'. The critically acclaimed drama looked at the effects of HIV on a troubled black family in his native Brooklyn, New York.
More about Nelson George...

Da Capo Best Music Writing (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Da Capo Best Music Writing 2000
  • Da Capo Best Music Writing 2006
  • Best Music Writing 2007
  • Best Music Writing 2009
  • Best Music Writing 2010
Hip Hop America The Death of Rhythm and Blues Where Did Our Love Go? The Rise and Fall of the Motown Sound The Hippest Trip in America: Soul Train and the Evolution of Culture & Style Buppies, B-boys, Baps, And Bohos: Notes On Post-soul Black Culture