Start by marking “Art Through the Ages: A Concise History of Western Art (w/CD-ROM)” as Want to Read:
Art Through the Ages: A Concise History of Western Art (w/CD-ROM)

Art Through the Ages: A Concise History of Western Art (w/CD-ROM)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  304 ratings  ·  7 reviews
GARDNER'S ART THROUGH THE AGES: A CONCISE HISTORY OF WESTERN ART will guide you through the artistic traditions OF Western art. Gardner is beautiful to look at, easy to understand, and includes everything you need to know to excel in your art history survey course. In addition, with each new copy of the book, you receive the ArtStudy 2.2 CD-ROM-an interactive electronic st ...more
Published January 3rd 2007 by Wadsworth Publishing (first published May 22nd 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Art Through the Ages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art Through the Ages

Foxtower
A later version of my Art History textbook. Thank goodness I don't have to read this one! (I refer to the pictures) While comprehensive in Gardners view of Art history there were no women... what?

Like any interpretation of ART, I think that only the photos tell a kind of truth.
Christin
A textbook I actually read! And was actually readable. It helped that Kleiner was my professor and his humor was evident in the writing, even though he had to leave some of the naughtier bits out.

"Double-barreled super-stud of a centaur."
Foxtower
This is an updated version of the college art history textbook I used back in the seventies... thank goodness I didn't have to read this one! While this and volume two provide ample photos of art work thoughout history, what lacking is that its a history that lacks women artists!
Allison
This was one of the best textbooks I've used. It's easy to read and full of useful information. Perfect for an introduction to Art History.
Merry
Excellent book for class with Dr. Diane Goode - great professor!
Allison
This is my textbook for Art History 101.
Only college textbook I've ever kept.
Lauren
Lauren is currently reading it
Dec 17, 2014
Agevi Sagao
Agevi Sagao marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Faiz
Faiz marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Abdallah
Abdallah marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Macbenedict Arinze
Macbenedict Arinze marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
  • World Religions: The Great Faiths Explored & Explained
  • Harem: The World Behind the Veil
  • The Invisible Sex: Uncovering the True Roles of Women in Prehistory
  • The Woman in the Shaman's Body: Reclaiming the Feminine in Religion and Medicine
  • The Princeton Dictionary of Buddhism
  • The 5-Minute Iliad and Other Instant Classics: Great Books For The Short Attention Span
  • Tea: The Drink that Changed the World
  • Lost History: The Enduring Legacy of Muslim Scientists, Thinkers, and Artists
  • The Fossil Hunter: Dinosaurs, Evolution, and the Woman Whose Discoveries Changed the World
  • Year of the Elephant: A Moroccan Woman's Journey Toward Independence
  • Sister Wendy's Story of Painting (Enhanced and Expanded Edition)
  • World as Lover, World as Self
  • The Sea Around Us
  • The Fruit of Her Hands: The Story of Shira of Ashkenaz
  • The Tibetan Book Of The Dead
  • Buddhist Scriptures
  • Dalai Lama, My Son: A Mother's Autobiography
  • The Hungry Coat: A Tale from Turkey
Art Through the Ages 2 A History of Roman Art Gardner's Art through the Ages: The Western Perspective, Volume II (with Art Study & Timeline Printed Access Card) (Gardner's Art Through the Ages: Volume 2) Gardner's Art through the Ages: The Western Perspective (with ArtStudy CD-ROM 2.1, Western) A History of Roman Art, Enhanced Edition