Silent Treatment

Silent Treatment

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  2,989 ratings  ·  78 reviews
In his five bestselling novels, from The Sisterhood to Natural Causes, physician Michael Palmer has drawn on years of firsthand emergency-room experience to create the drama of a frighteningly authentic world--a world where the line between medicine and murder is scalpel-thin.Now, in his most harrowing suspense novel yet, Palmer reveals how the power to heal can become a l...more
Audio Cassette, Abridged, 0 pages
Published February 1st 2000 by Random House Audio (first published January 1st 1995)

Deborah Hamilton
From the prologue to the epilogue this book kept me in a panic. I felt for each of the characters in a special way. The balance between the stress of being investigating for the murder of one's wife to solving that mystery was perfect. Just when the reader thought that everyone was figured out.....Nope try again. Classic Palmer style. A great read and true page turner.
Joyce McKune
One thing I love about this author is I don't have to worry about reading them "in order", however, this one could use a sequel. Will Harry and Maura live happily ever after? I suppose after the excitement of this story, nothing they could do would compare.
Harry's wife was having an brain aneurism repaired in the morning. The ward was very full and the person in the next bed was (Maura) going through alcohol withdrawal after head surgery from a drunken fall down the stairs. Harry was visiting a...more
Amy
This book fulfills requirement #6- medical thriller for the 2014 eclectic reader challenge.

I had read some of Michael Palmer's books before and remembered liking him pretty well. I started reading his books because when I worked at a store called Media Play, he came in to do a book signing and I was assigned to help him with anything he needed while he was there. He was a very interesting person to talk to and when I learned about the kind of books he wrote, I was definitely interested in readin...more
Claire Noonan
I resented every minute I had to be away from this book until I finished it. It was suspenseful and compelling. I would have liked a less punchy ending- a bit more of an aftermath would have been nice, to find out a bit more about what happened to some of the characters. One of them- Maura's brother, disappeared from the plot and never returned!
Jeremy Bates
i really enjoyed this one!
it was my first by michael palmer... im not really into medical thrillers, but the pacing and plotting were great
he's a very talented writer.... he sometimes goes a bit over the top with his medical descriptions, but it doesn't distract from the story too much
highly recommended!
Novitaherawati Sembiring
Michael Palmer
i don't know about a silent treatment , because i not yet to read this books .
i want to the meaning to indonesian , because i have a homework about it
please help me to finis my homework ...
Jim C
This novel deals with conspiracy in the field of health insurance. Harry Corbett's wife needs an operation and the night before this operation she is killed. Harry is the suspect and the quest to find out what really happened begins.

This book didn't bore me but it never grabbed my whole interest either. I did like the concept of the book and the idea of how far executives of health insurance companies will go to save money is scary and relevant. I think I was a little turned off by the past hist...more
Jill
Hmmmm...sort of a different plot for Michael Palmer, I rather enjoyed that! Still had the obligatory romance, and bad guy chasing, but definitely kept my interest. I think this would be a good movie.
Motunrayo
It's been a long time since I've read a book like this. The author is so good and articulate. I was so engrossed in the book that I had to cut corners to keep on reading it. The characters there too are amazing! Every thing looked so real! The author is good, I mean that good! I won't say anything more than this, I want to keep the suspense in and not let the cat out of the bag. Once you pick this book up, I can assure you that you will not put it down. The first chapter alone is captivating! Th...more
Anja
This is the longest I have taken to finish a book this year. Just as I could not find a reason to put it down once I started reading, I could not find a reason to pick it back up again once I did. Days would pass before I decided to give it another go - and I have no apparent reason for having such ambiguous feelings towards it. I usually quite enjoy Palmer's work... Maybe I'm just over him now? Too much of a good thing and all that. Also, the countless typos in this specific edition was like a...more
Greer Andjanetta
A very good medical murder mystery sory involving a Russian rogue doctor as assassin for hire. An anti-HMO story dealing with politics in a big hospital and a doctor dedicated to his profession who is skillfully framed for murder.
Karen
You don't have to concentrate to read these medical thrillers...fast paced, not boring and you do learn some medical stuff along the way.
Avid Reader
It gets more like 4 1/2 stars but it is a great book for someone seeking a mystery/thriller novel. There was a few moments when his style of writing jumped into the past not letting you know this and you're stuck trying to figure out who this new character is you're reading about is constantly flipping back and forth through the chapter to see if you've missed something only to find out at the very end of the chapter it's another name for one of the established characters it's just he had a secr...more
Lynn Pembroke
His books never fail to keep me reading. Scary sometimes to think it could be possible. Always keeps you guessing till the end.
Ellen Mandly
3.5 stars started out good, but I lost interest along the way.... felt dated.
Mary Beth
4 1/2 stars fantastic
Alan
Feb 03, 2014 Alan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cd, own
Kindle: $5.99
Nisarg
The book is amazing in its own way. You cannot help imagine hollywood / bollywood actors enacting the roles. Its a perfect script for anyone looking for a lucky break. Nicely written and well thought of.. just a few cliches, like the drunk woman who plays the lead and the other detective.. but it all works fine. The end also fits in like a movie's end. I had expected a better way to end it but nonetheless a good read till the end.
Melanie
What a great read!! Kind of terrifying-behind the scenes murders of
those costing the insurance companies money. This would make a great movie-as long as Tom Cruise isn't cast as the main character.
Pbwritr
I do obviously enjoy these books--great way to pass the time. But the format is always the smae--high-level conspiracy, trusted figure is involved, healthy patients become sick. This was one of the better ones, with the secret life of a doctor's wife. The roundtable of insurance executives ordering people killed whose medical claims would exceed $500k--quite unbelievable.
Srinath Padmanabhan
A doctor framed for his wife's murder by another clever Doctor. A secret societ killing people in hospitals for monitary benefits. A promising premise but the narration isnt that gripping. There was a small twist which was kinda expected and the book travelled in familiar lines in few places but in some places the narration was excellent. Overall a ok read..
Gail
Medical mystery. Fun quick read. This one is about a husband who's wife goes in for a surgery and is murdered. He is then blamed for the murder and his whole life begins to unravel. It is set with a bad rap for insurance companies. Hopefully what happens in this book, never happens in real life! Still, I enjoyed the book and like this author.
Audrey Matuauto
Palmer is an amazing author but naughty... I don't watch rated R movies and this ended up being a rated R book. I had to skip a couple promiscuous chapters and edit out some swearing. I wouldn't recommend it to those who don't like rated R media. But unfortunately, the book was really fantastic and very suspenseful!!!!
Tamela
this is a good book as far as medical mysteries go. he kept me entertained throughout the whole book and i even went out and bought another book by him! About a doctor who's wife dies tragically and he is then accused of her murder when their marital problems are revealed and her affair is discovered. a good summer read!
ChrisGA
I thoroughly enjoyed Palmer's previous book and looked forward to this one. This was such an intense, depressing book that it was hard for me to get into the nightmare Harry was living--yet it was impossible to put down. Insurance companies with too much power and no conscience make a scary villain.
Anthony Bidulka
I like Palmer's writing. There are some great moments of suspense at the beginning as we try to figure out who the wife really was. I did lose some interest the deeper I got. But that might have been because I read this late summer when spending time outside was too difficult to resist.
Stacy Stutz
I simply could not get into this story line, and I read a good third of the novel before I simply gave up. It started out really well, but just sort of dwindled. I kept hoping it would pick back up, but it didn't.

I can't recommend this novel by Palmer, but I'll read him again.
Joyce
A GP on staff at a Manhattan Hospital is embroiled in multiple murders starting with his wife's. In trying to clear his name and reputation he becomes even more embroiled. It is complex and holds your interest. Very few authors can do a medical thriller as well as Palmer.
Luan
I'd really like to give this 3 1/2 stars. I liked the story line. I liked the way the author brought 3 different story lines together and I was surprised by some of the twists and turns. But at the end of the story it just seemed to keep going on and on and on.
Rosanne Swiatek
It was hard to get started -- the beginning was scattered--too many sites, too many people, too many stories, and very depressing. But once Palmer focuses on his main character, it slowly starts to weave into a page-turning thriller.
  • Vector (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery #4)
  • Bloodstream
  • The Eleventh Plague
  • Pandemic
  • Implant
Michael Palmer, M.D., 1942-2013, was the author of Political Suicide, Oath of Office, A Heartbeat Away, The Last Surgeon, The Second Opinion, The First Patient, The Fifth Vial, The Society, Fatal, The Patient, Miracle Cure, Critical Judgment, Silent Treatment, Natural Causes, Extreme Measures, Flashback, Side Effects, and The Sisterhood. His books have been translated into thirty-five languages.

He...more
More about Michael Palmer...
The Last Surgeon Natural Causes Fatal The First Patient The Fifth Vial